All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

Wonder how powerful the hardware will be in that concept....

Depends on which Tegra chip, I guess. I have a Shield Tablet and a Shield TV. Tablet is OK, but the TV unit is pretty zippy.

In any case, Nintendo can't compete on raw power. Their best bet is to keep it under $200 and make sure it has some solid first-party games in the launch window.

Assuming, of course, that the information there is accurate... this is what I said they should do with the Wii U. TurboExpress/Nomad the dang thing so people can play their home games on the road and their road games at home.

They still rule the portable market, and leveraging that is their best way to cram a foot back into the door.

Sort of. I'm interested, but my gut tells me this will be one of those games that promises so much and ends up being a disappointment. It looks like it might get repetitive very quickly.

True. Some guys are comparing it with Spore.

I don't know... let's give it a try.

I just preordered No Man's Sky

Someone else exited for this game? :wub:

I was excited for NMS when they announced it two or three years ago but now I'm kinda over the hype. I hope it will be the type of game they marketed it to be but I'm cautious enough to wait and see what others say before I drop $60 on an unknown. I think this RPS article perfectly shows how I feel actually. https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/07/27/if-only-no-mans-sky-could-go-unreleased-forever/

I've been on the fence about NMS. I was excited for it when I first heard about it about a year ago. Now that I've seen some gameplay videos from various sites, I fear that it might be a little "too big" for many people to find it interesting. There's too much possibility; too much openness. Where's the macguffin? The center of the universe? That's HOW many light years away?? Not only that, but you will generally be making the trip by yourself. Unless you want to get stuck with random strangers you run into once every blue moon. You know, the kind that will pretty much stab you in the back at the drop of a hat.

I wonder if this game was too ambitious for its intended audience... sorta the same feeling I get from Star Citizen. Only NMS is actually DONE and SC still has yet to coalesce into something that resembles a complete game.

I may not get it afterall, since I'm planning on buying the WoW Legion expansion at the end of August. Maybe I'll wait for the first reviews to come out before making a final decision.

Not only that, but you will generally be making the trip by yourself. Unless you want to get stuck with random strangers you run into once every blue moon. You know, the kind that will pretty much stab you in the back at the drop of a hat.

Nope, they said the Galaxy is too big, chances to cross paths with another human are.... VERY low.... however, if you (Luckyly?) find a "discovered" planet along your jorney you can try follow that explorer trail or keep going another way.

The phrase "once in a blue moon" implies that it's pretty rare. Not trying to be snarky; I am just not sure if you are aware of that phrase, since English isn't your first language. :)

I know that... from a Smurfs chapter were a new Smurf is born when the moon is blue or something like that.. anyway, the game was leaked in PS4 and people are watching videos and some guy made it to the center of the galaxy/universe and found Rick Hunter there...no really, they liked the game. :D

That's why I don't translate my FanFic: my english is very basic :lol:

Anyway, this is pretty cool; all the planets are in reality CUBES rendered as spheres....

ZrQ4njD.png

Mind=Blow

That is actually really clever. Gets around MOST of the geometry issues presented by using a single square for a map, at a fraction of the cost of creating truly spherical maps.

So over the space of about twelve hours, the long-anticipated and now-ironically-named Another Metroid 2 Remake* went into release and got DMCA takedown notices rained on it, likely by a lawyer who mistook it for an actual Nintendo-produced game.

It is exactly what it set out to be. A remake of Metroid II in the style of Zero Mission. I'd say it is, quality-wise, on par with that game.

Even if you, as I, don't particularly care for how Zero Mission did a lot of things, it is still worth a look. I'm sure you can still find it available for download somewhere. Streisand effect and all that.

The soundtrack alone is wonderful, and worth the download. Harmony of the Hunter is still my go-to Metroid remix album(s), but the AM2R soundtrack has the advantage of thematic cohesiveness since everything is in a common style and from a common game.

*When he started, literally a decade ago, there had been a sudden influx of interest in the long-maligned Metroid II, and he was something like the sixth person to announce he was doing a remake of Metroid II. All the rest of them fizzled out somewhere along the way.

Not sure how I feel about no mans sky. Think it may get boring quickly.

Did start playing shadow or Mordor and for $19 I'm thinking it was a good buy. I'm actually finding it quite challenging from the start. Of course I may be doing something wrong.

Fun fact... I never liked Metroid or Metroid II! And Super Metroid, which many talk about as the greatest game ever? Never finished it.

Fast forward a number of years to the GBA. I loved both Fusion and Zero Mission! I finished both of them twice. So I was pretty jazzed about AMR2, and I grabbed it before the takedown.

Fun fact 2: few things screw with your brain like a 1-year old. As I was downloading AMR2, I was seriously thinking how cool it'd be if someone made a Zero Mission-style remake of the original Metroid for some time before remembering that Zero Mission is a Zero Mission-style remake of the original Metroid.

I'm kind of worried it will turn into another Elite Dangerous... which I guess isn't all bad? But mindlessly exploring with no goal other than exploration, no real attempt at fun combat mechanics, and even less interaction with other players than ED sounds like it wouldn't last long at all.

I've heard it compared somewhat with Minecraft (IN SPACE!), but without any of the creative aspects, since you can't actually build anything on any of those umpteen gajillion procedurally generated worlds.

I might try it out, but for now it seems like an empty universe waiting for people to fill it in with something interesting to do... which will be really hard if there's pretty much no way to establish any kind of reference point to meet up with other players (and unless I read incorrectly, no real way to tell even the difference between an NPC and a human player).

I think what kept my interest in ED as long as I played it was purely the fact that I enjoyed that someone had finally written a satisfying manual docking sequence into a space sim. The combat wasn't bad either, but for all the "things to do" in that universe, it just didn't feel like there was any motivation to do them. I hope NMS has enough of a central plot to avoid that.

Edited by Chronocidal

My buddy picked up No Man's Sky at midnight, we played for about 5 hours before I had to drag my ass to work. It's definitely not for everybody, and I don't think it's the second coming to gaming that some had hoped it would be. It's very pretty, and everything works as it should, exploration and resource gathering is fun, but there's very little else to it besides that. This is an exploration game through and through. the scale is pretty magnificent, and experiencing takeoff for the first time and leaving the initial planet's atmosphere was amazing, but I couldn't see myself playing this for more then a couple of hours at a time, you gather resources, then upgrade, move to new planet, gather resources, upgrade, find a few interesting areas or monoliths, move to next planet. There is a story, but it takes a back seat, and isn't very prominent as it is, the point of this game is to just explore randomly generated space and planets. I know a lot of people were worried planets would start to look samish eventually, and I'm sure that could happen, they only have so many assets and possible combinations for a planets look and atmosphere, but the time I played I was finding every new planet I came across as pretty fresh and new, interesting enough to get out there and start looking for stuff. Combat is basic, on the ground and in flight, but like I said, that's not the focus, it's about exploring. if scouting out planet after planet building up your ship and inventory doesn't sound like your thing, NMS is probably not for you. There's supposed to be a lot more getting added through updates to add some longevity, I personally like what I played for how long I played it, but others mileage may vary.

I thought the game was supposed to be released on the 12th?

One thing I can appreciate about NMS is it's the realization of the creation of a whole universe from scratch... using a unifying mathematical equation, as far as I understand it. To me, it's like a demonstration of how universes can be created and what will happen during its existence. Existential...! :D