All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

Kojima lost his mind long ago, Sony has finally given him the money to go full ham. I love how they got Norman onboard and already got him doing mo-cap when KojiPro isn't even sure what engine they are running the game on or how it's going to even play.

That RE7 trailer was a big miss for me, lets just hope they don't screw up the RE2 remake (please don't be 3rd person).

Yeah I played the RE7 demo after I got home from work, it's interesting and fairly creepy, but I'm not sure if it's what I want for the next major RE installment. Hopefully it's just a proof of concept type thing, or just a small sort of detached intro to the new games setting and characters.

XCOM 2 is absolutely brutal. I am playing on the Veteran difficulty (2nd of 4 settings) and there's so many "bullshit!" moments, it's starting to really get on my nerves. On the upside, rookie troops aren't as ridiculously useless as they were in the first game. They are more reliable at getting successful shots on enemies, even under cover. On the downside, the aliens have so many tools to completely flip the tables on you. ADVENT Shock Troopers are the new Thin Men, imo: they are so ridiculously dangerous in the early game, they now take highest kill priority. Oh, and shapeshifting Faceless, you make me rage so hard with your ability to just pop up in the middle of my soldiers and melee them from THREE goddamn squares away.

It's a good game, but it can be really unfair. You can be playing a mission perfectly and then some of that bullshit happens and you lose two or three of your squad in the blink of an eye. It makes me play way more conservatively, but it also makes me even more determined to eliminate every one of those alien bastards with extreme prejudice.

Heh the shock troopers are pretty tame compared to the later enemies in the game. As with XCOM 1 don't rush the story research in XCOM 2 if you aren't ready for the harder enemies yet. The Avatar project timer is pretty easy to work around so take your time and build up your squads and equipment.

I really dislike that Spider-Man costume.

Me too. I think it wouldn't be so bad if the spider was black instead of white, but oh well...

Anyway, it's a Spider-Man game. I'm sure there will be at least a dozen alternate costumes.

Heh the shock troopers are pretty tame compared to the later enemies in the game. As with XCOM 1 don't rush the story research in XCOM 2 if you aren't ready for the harder enemies yet. The Avatar project timer is pretty easy to work around so take your time and build up your squads and equipment.

Yeah, I've been taking it slow now, but the Avatar Project got real close to finishing before I started making some major dents in its progress. The game got more manageable as I finally picked up the subtle nuances of the game and got my troops to higher ranks. I try not to reload if things go really badly. I generally save and reload when I want to test out a game mechanic, such as how long a mech unit stays hacked. Or if I accidentally misclick one of my troops into the middle of a pod of aliens and there's no cover.

The hacking mechanic is so much fun. I laughed so hard the first time I hacked a turret and used it to kill a trooper and then the Steam achievement popped up, "Stop hitting yourself!" Last night, I ran into my first Andromedon (or however its called), hacked it after the operator was killed, and used it to punch a Viper straight through a wall. SOOOOO satisfying. Setting up ambushes is also a lot of fun. Just click the "fire" button and watch sh*t fly everywhere!

I gotta say, the skulljacking (or skullf***ing, as I like to call it) animation makes me cringe every time. Brutal.

I'm probably 75% done. At least, that's what it looks like. The Steam reviews are generally saying the campaign is 50-60 hours. I have no idea how long I've been on mine.

• 3 weeks later...

Lettuce discuss Pokemon Go.

You know you're playing it.

I downloaded it. Caught a Charmander immediately. Caught a Weedle at a buddy's house. Caught a Zubat and an Eevee at McDonald's. And in three days that's it. Most of the time I turn on the "game," watch the circle blink fit a few minutes, don't see jack, and go do something else. Needless to say, I've got a pretty low opinion so far.

The English version of the Assault Suit Leynos remake should now be digitally available! Word on the street is that physical copies should be out in September.

Oh wow, I completely forgot it was getting a remake. Now the big question is whether I should wait for the physical release or just go for the digital...... decisions decisions.

So Star Trek Online added the ability to role a captain from Kirk's era and gallivant across the galaxy in 1960s style(before being time-travelled forward to the game's post-Voyager setting at the end of the tutorial missions).

This has got me to boot the game up again, because 60s captain! And I find that they also tweaked several aspects of the game to make it more fun for a new captain.

Most notably, since I was higher level at the end of the tutorial, I could get a higher-tier ship, so space combat is far less tedious. While my original captain's post-tutorial vessel, the USS Polychromatic, was a worthless Miranda-class vessel that struggled to do anything other than drift leisurely in a straight line, forever too slow to be worth taking into a fight... her time-displaced cohort has transferred from his original USS Inquisitor and it's 1960's special effects to the USS Inquisitor-A, which is both a little more Hollywood and capable of flying rings around klingon battlecruisers as well as particularly sluggish asteroids.

MOST importantly, however, the Inquisitor-A is a Constitution-class vessel! instead of a friggin' Miranda.

It just feels more Star Trek in a Constitution.

However, I still have to share a galactic map with Captain Deez Nuts of the USS Suck It.

Edited by JB0

So Star Trek Online added the ability to role a captain from Kirk's era and gallivant across the galaxy in 1960s style(before being time-travelled forward to the game's post-Voyager setting at the end of the tutorial missions).

This has got me to boot the game up again, because 60s captain! And I find that they also tweaked several aspects of the game to make it more fun for a new captain.

Most notably, since I was higher level at the end of the tutorial, I could get a higher-tier ship, so space combat is far less tedious. While my original captain's post-tutorial vessel, the USS Polychromatic, was a worthless Miranda-class vessel that struggled to do anything other than drift leisurely in a straight line, forever too slow to be worth taking into a fight... her time-displaced cohort has transferred from his original USS Inquisitor and it's 1960's special effects to the USS Inquisitor-A, which is both a little more Hollywood and capable of flying rings around klingon battlecruisers as well as particularly sluggish asteroids.

MOST importantly, however, the Inquisitor-A is a Constitution-class vessel! instead of a friggin' Miranda.

It just feels more Star Trek in a Constitution.

However, I still have to share a galactic map with Captain Deez Nuts of the USS Suck It.

Hmm... I haven't played since the Romulan expansion. Maybe I'll give it another look...

...y'know, in a few years when my kids starts school and I have more than 10 minutes of free time.

Hmm... I haven't played since the Romulan expansion. Maybe I'll give it another look...

...y'know, in a few years when my kids starts school and I have more than 10 minutes of free time.

That is about when I played it last. It was always straddling that line between really fun and really boring. I feel it skews more towards fun now that I'm in a Constitution and carrying a flip-phone communicator.

NES Returns, yes the NES !

I always felt something like this would happen, due to the NES 30th anniversary.

Thank you Nintendo.

Meh, it's an emulator. Same as the Retron 5/REtroFreak/insert Rasberry Pi hack here. Except it uses Wii controllers instead of USB or Bluetooth devices. I am waiting for it to hit retail so we can see which license violations it is guilty of and how easy it is to load new ROM images.

Credit where it is due, though. Packaging is nice, and it's a really good game selection. Licensed EVERYONE'S crap, it looks like. It's a really solid "greatest hits" bundle of ROM images. Even includes that game where Mario is an evil child-murdering slaver(Donkey Kong Jr is the best thing ever).

They even included StarTropics, and that gets precious little love these days(or any other days, really)

Oh no... no, no no no... what were they thinking when they included Star Tropics?!

PLEASE tell me there's some consideration for the "secret code" portion of the game that requires the original paper documents(or GameFAQs) to pass...

At some point in the not too distant past (maybe a year or two?) I remember trying the game, and finding that it had a buyable add-on pack that included a full set of TOS ships/uniforms/weapons. The TOS Constitution class was a fairly overpowered starter ship, but yes, it made the early gameplay much more entertaining.

Really though, the thing I found most impressive with the entire TOS setup was the attention to detail on the ship interiors. Whereas all of the TNG+ interiors look insanely oversized and astoundingly generic, the TOS ship interior was a room-by-room recreation of the TOS sets, correctly scaled, and full of little easter eggs to find.

Meh, it's an emulator. Same as the Retron 5/REtroFreak/insert Rasberry Pi hack here. Except it uses Wii controllers instead of USB or Bluetooth devices. I am waiting for it to hit retail so we can see which license violations it is guilty of and how easy it is to load new ROM images.

Credit where it is due, though. Packaging is nice, and it's a really good game selection. Licensed EVERYONE'S crap, it looks like. It's a really solid "greatest hits" bundle of ROM images. Even includes that game where Mario is an evil child-murdering slaver(Donkey Kong Jr is the best thing ever).

They even included StarTropics, and that gets precious little love these days(or any other days, really)

Oh no... no, no no no... what were they thinking when they included Star Tropics?!

PLEASE tell me there's some consideration for the "secret code" portion of the game that requires the original paper documents(or GameFAQs) to pass...

At least it's official.

At least it's official.

That isn't unique. The Atari Flashbacks, Colecovision Flashback, Intellivision Flashback are all official and all ran for about half that. Intellivision one even came with a set of controller overlays.

The Firecore Genesis units typically run half that and maintain the ability to use real cartridges. (They also have significant audio glitches because the Firecore chipset has some errors in the implementation. ATGames is moving to ARM+emulator for future Genesis productions)

Basically, this is a Nintendo Flashback console. And it is priced at 2x everything else because Nintendo.

Basically, this is a Nintendo Flashback console. And it is priced at 2x everything else because Nintendo.

Yeah, but the Flashbacks were more like toys to relive a little nostalgia. I kind of want the new Nintendo more for a display piece, and I'd probably just play those games (and the NES games it's lacking) on a PC.