All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

1 hour ago, mikeszekely said:

I've been busy and haven't even opened Steam yet, but I got an email that some stuff on my wishlist was on sale and have been meaning to take a look.  Hopefully it's better than the PlayStation sale (where I already own most of the stuff on sale) or Nintendo's (where I have at least 40 things on my wishlist and only Dragon Quest II is on sale).

I hear ya, I usually don't see anything on the PSN store.  I kept it to a minimum this time and just got three titles, the ones I mentioned before and Call of Cthulhu.

2 hours ago, davidwhangchoi said:

I'll happily recommend getting a Shield if you don't have one, and would take advantage of this deal myself, but I actually have two Shields already (the original Shield Tv and the previous generation).  It's my go-to streaming device- I don't have cable, but I have Netflix, Prime Video, and Disney+ plus I use it for Youtube and Movies Anywhere.

11 minutes ago, davidwhangchoi said:

yeah, i linked it thinking you might be  wanting to upgrade your old gen.

It's nice you were thinking of me, but I don't have any 4K TVs right now and I don't really need the extra power.  Plus the OG Shield is the only one with a microSD card slot.

As for the Steam Sale, it's kind of a bust.  I have a lot of the stuff that's on sale, and the stuff I really want is only around 20% off and still over $40, so I'll wait awhile longer (like I did for RE2make).  It's not like I'm hurting for games right now; I haven't even started Luigi's Mansion 3 or Astral Chain yet.

48 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

It's nice you were thinking of me, but I don't have any 4K TVs right now and I don't really need the extra power.  Plus the OG Shield is the only one with a microSD card slot.

As for the Steam Sale, it's kind of a bust.  I have a lot of the stuff that's on sale, and the stuff I really want is only around 20% off and still over $40, so I'll wait awhile longer (like I did for RE2make).  It's not like I'm hurting for games right now; I haven't even started Luigi's Mansion 3 or Astral Chain yet.

yeah, nothing on steam for me either.

Touhou Luna Nights is great but i already have it.

I just checked out another trailer for this game, hadn't heard of it before.  My gaming tastes nowadays are really specific, but I gotta say, what a helluva cast:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/squadron42

"Pushing the boundaries of what's possible in real-time character rendering, Squadron 42 utilizes advanced performance capture techniques to translate all the nuance and power of the award-winning cast of actors including Mark Hamill, Gary Oldman, Gillian Anderson, Mark Strong, Liam Cunningham, Ben Mendelsohn, John Rhys Davies, Andy Serkis, and more to life."

I'm just 40, so I have plenty of time to wait until it's done. :D

The "game" currently it's beautiful, no other game can do what Star Citizen offers in the current state of development... so if they took two or three year more, I don't care. 

This is a screenshoot I took yesterday and my PC is a potato... (i54690 with a 970) imagine how should it look in better hardware

Squadron-42-Star-Citizen-Screenshot-2019

I think SQ42 is slated for a beta and release this coming year actually (I'll believe it when I see it), which I'm looking forward to more than the base SC game.  Been lacking that classic Wing Commander gameplay for far too long, and while I know Freespace 2's engine has been upgraded to high heaven, a current gen space sim engine is way overdue.

The recent patches have made the environments just beautiful, been having fun exploring the snowy one over the holidays.

43c2cc0dab.jpg4e3ac92ed8.jpgd97542104e.jpgd6c85daac8.jpg

In my case?  I've had more fun flying around and testing this game in its current state than I have most of the other games I even play.  Don't go in blindly, and educate yourself on what to expect, because it can be disappointing, but there are also a lot of fun things to see.

I recently gifted a friend my starter pack, because I had since bought a newer ship that included the base game.  They were completely blown away by the fact that we could board a space yacht with an interior to rival any MMO housing system, load the bay with rovers and shuttles, take off, then go explore a planet with those rovers. 

Not to derail the Star Citizen/Squadron 42 discussion, but I have to insist you guys pick up Gunvolt Chronicles: Luminous Avenger iX for whatever platform you prefer (Switch, PC (Steam), PS4, or Xbox One).

For those unfamiliar, the Gunvolt series are 2D action platformers from Inti Creates, with an art style that's extremely similar to the Mega Man Zero and Mega Man ZX games (which they also developed for Capcom).  They're somewhat similar to Mega Man, in that you run, jump, climb ladders, wall jump, and dash your way through levels that you can tackle in whatever order you choose, but with slightly different combat.  Gunvolt has a gun, but it's kind of weak.  What it's really for is tagging enemies, which allows you to use Gunvolt's electric abilities to fry them with lightning.  Or, he can use special skills he learns to do a lot more damage, but on a much more limited basis.  Gunvolt 2 introduces a second playable character, Copen, who plays differently still.  Like Gunvolt, Copen's gun doesn't do a ton of damage on it's own.  What Copen can do is dash into enemies, which allows him to use a homing shot.  At first it sounds kind of similar, tag enemies then attack, but the big difference is that Gunvolt's style is focused on tagging multiple enemies then using lightning to kill them all at once, while Copen's style is about staying in the air, dashing and killing one enemy at a time then chaining a dash into the next without touching the ground.  Another difference is their skills.  Gunvolt's are all based on his electric power, and he learns them in a set order as he levels up.  Copen is more like Mega Man, in that he learns new skills from the bosses he beats.  Personally, I like Gunvolt fine, but I think Copen's more fun to play as.  And that's where we come to Luminous Avenger iX.  See, the first Gunvolt game has two endings.  Gunvolt 2 picks up after the good or true ending, iX is in an alternate timeline that follows the bad ending.  Copen's the star of iX.

Honestly, all three games are good, and you'll get the most out of iX if you've played the original Gunvolt.  iX is probably the best of the series, though, and the game that's the most widely available, as it's on all four current major platforms.  AFAIK the first Gunvolt is only available on the 3DS eShop and Steam.  Gunvolt 2 is only available on it's own in the 3DS eShop.  Alternatively, a compilation of the first two Gunvolt games "the Striker Pack" was made available as a physical release for the 3DS and Switch, and as an eShop release for the Switch.

• 2 weeks later...

Sony anouncement from CES 2020. Holiday 2020 reelase.

Sony already confirmed the PS5 will play PS4 games.  

PlayStation 5 specs and details:

• Custom SoC with second-gen Navi GPU, Zen 2 CPU
  • 8-Core, 16-thread Zen 2 CPU at 3.2GHz
  • Navi GPU at 2.0GHz with 36 Compute Units
  • Navi, Zen SoC uses new AMD RDNA 2.0 architecture
  • Ultra-fast SSD
  • Support for 4K 120 Hz TVs
  • Ray-tracing enabled
  • 8K output support (for gaming)
  • Plays all PS4 games
  • Separate games that ship on BD-XL Blu-ray discs
  • New controller with extensive haptic and tactile feedback

4F5F2E60-4A57-41BD-8BF8-78B40C4CAC06.jpeg.60f465d26e4c13f9c50ef41628e88da0.jpeg

F3C3D5C4-6C9D-4A95-946F-3EEE29817A1B.jpeg.9f27a24dfb2acdad41c48c115d15578f.jpeg

00119722-6DFE-41B2-8B5F-1B3B47C70275.jpeg.41a8301f8fc5ca24a8e61849262e2d14.jpeg

Edited by no3Ljm

That logo sucks. I haven't really liked it since it was introduced, but this one sucks extra hard because that 5 doesn't look like it belongs(but rounding it would make it look like a second S). The rounded letters were explicitly designed to look good next to a 3.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few friends who are Xbox loyalists who are into Game Pass, but I'd largely ignored it as I don't really use my Xbox One.  But, I just discovered a few things:

1. The Outer Worlds, a game I really wanted to play but refused to install the Epic Store over, isn't actually exclusive.  It's not available on Steam (yet) but it's on the Windows Store.

2. Microsoft makes Game Pass for PC.  You need to have Windows 10 with the the latest feature updates and the Xbox (beta) app installed, then you sign in with your Microsoft/Xbox account.

3. The Outer Worlds is available to play on Game Pass for PC.

4. Game Pass is pretty cheap on PC.  $1 for the first three months, then $14.99 quarterly after that.  Considering the game I most wanted to play on it is $60 normally that's a pretty good deal.

Anyway... The Outer Worlds is really good, yeah?  It's like Bioshock and Fall Out: New Vegas had a baby... in space.

1 hour ago, mikeszekely said:

I have a few friends who are Xbox loyalists who are into Game Pass, but I'd largely ignored it as I don't really use my Xbox One.  But, I just discovered a few things:

1. The Outer Worlds, a game I really wanted to play but refused to install the Epic Store over, isn't actually exclusive.  It's not available on Steam (yet) but it's on the Windows Store.

2. Microsoft makes Game Pass for PC.  You need to have Windows 10 with the the latest feature updates and the Xbox (beta) app installed, then you sign in with your Microsoft/Xbox account.

3. The Outer Worlds is available to play on Game Pass for PC.

4. Game Pass is pretty cheap on PC.  $1 for the first three months, then $14.99 quarterly after that.  Considering the game I most wanted to play on it is $60 normally that's a pretty good deal.

Anyway... The Outer Worlds is really good, yeah?  It's like Bioshock and Fall Out: New Vegas had a baby... in space.

I think Game Pass/Ultimate is the best deal currently in gaming, Xbox and PC compatibility, tons of games, and a great price, I bought two years. I have over a dozen games back logged on my Xbox One X, quality titles, not a bunch of garbage.

I mentioned Outer Worlds a page or so back, and I think it's excellent. It's the game I wanted the newer Fallout Games to be, New Vegas was great, 3 was okayish, but 4 was really bad IMO.

I've completed four playthroughs, each different from the last, each played in a different way. That's also an admission that it's not really long for an RPG, it's possible to see, do, and collect everything in one playthrough compared to a lot of other RPGs of it's kind, like Fallout, but it's really amazing while it lasts. If you've played any of the newer Fallouts it will be easy to slip right in, but you'll see pretty quickly how much the RPG elements and character building come into play over the newer Fallouts.

4 hours ago, Tking22 said:

If you've played any of the newer Fallouts it will be easy to slip right in, but you'll see pretty quickly how much the RPG elements and character building come into play over the newer Fallouts.

I've played all the "modern" Fallout games.  I loved 3, liked New Vegas, and I liked 4 just fine.  But I do see what you mean; I've been investing far more points into Persuade, Lie, Intimidate, Hack, and Lockpick than in in combat skills.  You'll be fine if you get decent weapons and armor, but I've already run into quests where I've needed dialogue skills to complete them.

11 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

10C50E91-A895-4C75-917B-040DE8642B0F.jpeg.3ff7b73f507e56bb865dd6c9b2491866.jpeg

I'd be more excited if the last Gundam Vs game that I played on PS4 was more than a bare-bones effort at a multiplayer game.

How about Namco Bandai bring back the Gundam Battle series instead?

On 1/23/2020 at 6:03 AM, Gerli said:

Started the Witcher 3... What a beautiful game. 

Indeed, you definitely get your money's worth with that game.

Which is the complete opposite of UFO catcher/crane games.  I know this, and yet I am a complete sucker for them when I see a tempting prize.  Like the time I went crazy trying getting a complete set of Patlabor figures many years ago in Akihabara, Japan. So when I heard about Sega Catcher Online, I started to fret about my wallet. They're not the first to do this kinda thing, I think this place gets credit for that, but Sega seems to have a bigger budget for their prizes.

Based on the rave reviews it was getting I decided to pick up Disco Elysium during Steam's Lunar New Year sale.  And while there's a lot to it that's pretty interesting, there's a ton more stuff that I really don't like.  I think it's probably worth checking out for the novelty (I say even as I spent my evening looking for something else to play because playing it anymore feels like a chore), but I don't think it's anywhere close to the 91 it's currently got at Metacritic.  I'd give it maybe a 65.

In other gaming, I took my Switch with me to play while my daughter was at her dance class, and I decided to give My Friend Pedro a whirl.  It's funny, because the previews kind of highlighted the stylish violence, so the first level you're thinking, "Yeah, cool!"  Then you play a few samey levels and you start to think, "Is this it then?  This is going to get old fast."  But it doesn't.  Because, while the first few levels are really about learning the controls, but after the first boss you start to come to the realization that My Friend Pedro isn't a 2.5D action platformer, it's a puzzle game.  The level design and enemy placement is arranged such that getting from start to finish in each level is a puzzle to solve, sort of like a more forgiving Hotline Miami.  I wouldn't drop $30 for a physical copy on it, but for $20 or less it's a good time.

Well, ultimately made the decision to purchase the Valve Index for $1k, but go to find it's sold out and been sold out for quite a while now....and it turns out multiple people are on the waiting list to buy one. 

Valve really doesn't want to take our (significant sum) of money I guess :(

I read some news on reddit that, per certain data aggregators, 149,000 of these Index headsets have been sold. That's pretty wild, in my opinion, for such an enthusiast headset in an already niche market. Hopefully it's all worth it when Half Life: Alyx drops. 

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Bolt said:

Looks okay, but I just don't think Predator multiplayer games work. These multiplayer based Predator games always end up about the same, one player gets to play the awesome Predator, then everybody else gets stuck playing in some super generic third or first person shooter, while getting killed by a Predator.