All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

Count me in for the Cavalry vs Tank battle! It may not be titan mode in 2142 but maybe there will be something based around taking down a blimp, that could be fun.

I just realized they missed a big opportunity to use the old Battlefield theme from 1942, could have gone with more horns for an older feel. Oh well, off brand dub step it is.

Edited by dizman

Considering that neither Titanfall nor the last Star Wars game EA published had single player campaigns I'm ignoring this until a single player campaign is confirmed.

Single player has never been important in the Battlefield games. They're entertaining but short, more like training before going online.

Single player has never been important in the Battlefield games. They're entertaining but short, more like training before going online.

Bad Company?

But I was talking about the new Star Wars game. You just slipped a post in there before I finished.

Just heard that Disney just shut down the studio that was doing Disney Infinity :-(

Disney is where studios go to die. They operate on something like a five-year cycle oscillating between "we should make our games in-house, why are we licensing this crap to others" and "why are we spending so much money on video game development, we could outsource this and not deal with the headache" that sees them buying and then closing a LOT of studios.

It's too bad Civ VI won't be out before we go visit my wife's family in Beijing. I played a ton of Civ V on my laptop on my last trip there while everyone else was watching TV in the evenings.

Seems to be the consensus on the YT comments page.

In other news, Doom releases in about 24 hours. Can't wait to rip some demons in half.

Rip and Tear! Let us know how it is, I've been on the fence about buying the new Doom. If the singleplayer is any good I'll probably bite.

Guest davidwhangchoi

yessssssss have my nintendo eshop from blk friday

SAN FRANCISCO — May 11, 2016 — Today, Capcom, a leading worldwide developer and publisher of video games, has confirmed that the much-anticipated next installment in the Ace Attorney® courtroom drama series will make its way to North America and Europe as Phoenix Wright®: Ace Attorney® – Spirit of Justice. This narrative adventure stars beloved defense attorneys Phoenix Wright and Apollo Justice and sees the return of many familiar faces alongside some interesting new additions. The title will be released as a digital download in the Nintendo eShop for the Nintendo 3DS™ family of systems in North America and Europe in September this year at an MSRP of $29.99 / £24.99 / €29.99.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Spirit of Justice sees Phoenix in a brand new location: a courtroom situated in the Kingdom of Khura’in, origin of the Kurain Channeling Technique, where mysterious séance trials decide the fate of all defendants. Brand new to the series is the Divination Séance gameplay mechanic that allows the player to revisit the last moments of a victim’s life. Players must fight to unravel the discrepancies and contradictions between the Royal Priestess’s Insight and what is shown in the séance. Meanwhile, defense attorney Apollo Justice faces his own challenges holding down the fort at the Wright Anything Agency, as he takes on a case that will have explosive implications. Both our heroes are joined by a host of returning friends and adversaries in their fight to bring about justice.

The new game is filled with puzzling cases to solve using popular investigative techniques from previous installments. More details on gameplay features will be revealed in the coming months, so stay tuned!

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Played Doom for a couple of hours last night. It's pretty entertaining. I wasn't completely blown away, but I'm finding the game more enjoyable as I progress through the campaign. Picking up new weapons, getting weapon mods, and finding suit upgrades adds something new every time. Plus, I've only seen a small complement of enemy types. I'm sure that it gets more exhilarating as newer, bigger demons start showing up.

Glory kills are so satisfying. It's non-stop gore and ultra-manliness when you get a berserk powerup, too! You can literally rip an imp in half with it... vertically...

I'll play more when I get home tonight.

Finished the Doom campaign last night on ultra-violence difficulty. The boss fights were pretty challenging and fast-paced. Once you find their weakness, they get considerably easier, but that took several deaths each for me. The last boss was especially frustrating, but I got him down after about a dozen tries or so.

Restarted on nightmare difficulty and it takes a lot of getting used to; it quickly becomes obvious which attacks and enemies to avoid fighting in a stand-up fight. Simply moving fast is not going to save you now. You have to use the environment. Definitely need to use the rune that makes glory kills go faster, because you need the health bonuses and you need to not stop moving.

Overall, the game took me about 15 hours to finish the first time. That includes additional time looking for all of the secrets and powerups. But I quit trying so hard during the last few levels. I'm replaying the game so I can try to find everything this time around. I think 40-50 dollars would have been a bit more appropriate price, but I still wouldn't pass this game up at 60.

Okay, I just spend the last couple of hours gauging everyone's reviews on Youtube and the such and it's pretty definitive: get DOOM. The SP campaign is well worth the buying price, although your mileage will vary. It completely destroys the CoD-inspired FPS games that have been contaminating current-gen systems and PCs with their lack of understanding of what makes a game really FUN. Doom returns to its old-skool roots, throwing hordes of demons at you and expecting you to somehow survive the onslaught. The gore is abundant and the game actually rewards you for your brutality by giving you small health boosts for each glory kill:

Running low on health? You can't just hide behind cover and wait for it to regen. You get your wussy ass out there and tear that imp's head off to get your health back! Running low on ammo? Pull out your trusty chainsaw, Old Betsy, and disembowel that fat-assed mancubus and watch the ammuition pop out like a goddamn pinata!

I played a bit of MP team deathmatch and not a lot has changed from the open beta. They just unlocked the rest of the demon types, hack modules, and weapons. Added more maps and gameplay and it still feels "off"... it's pretty average. One complaint I never hear about the downvoters is that you can't hear your opponent's double barreled shotgun if it was being shoved up your ass firing buck out of your mouth. I found myself yelling at the computer "who the f*** is shooting me??" only to die and find that he was right behind me the whole time. In UT4 alpha, you can hear someone getting murdered in the next room and know that it was a link gun or rocket launcher. Doom needs to seriously fix that because it's annoying as hell when you can't even find your attacker with omni-positional sound.

The Snapmap feature is going to really keep this game alive for awhile until id and Bethesda develop some additional campaign material. I'm looking forward to seeing what the mod community can do with it.

TL;DR: Buy this game if you love the old DOOM games and love unadulterated, unapologetic gore-fests like this game. Oh, and the music that plays during some of the "arena" combat areas in the levels will melt your face. Liberal use of the double-kick bass drum and shredding rhythm guitar will always get my head rocking while I punch a hole through an imp's chest with my mighty fist. GET IT NOW or I'll tear your arm off and beat you to death with it. :p

Doom has probably the funnest campaign I've played in months, it was totally worth the $60 asking price alone, I think it's that good. I wrapped up my first run at about 13.5 hours, I still have plenty of secrets and collectibles to find, and I've turned up the difficulty since my Doom Marine is a demon slaying beast now. Haven't tried too much MP, but it has been tweaked since the beta, for the better, and SnapMap seems like it will add a good bit of longevity to co-op stuff without the need for DLC and expansions. Color me impressed, it's violent, fast, and very much Doom.

I have to reiterate that DOOM's soundtrack is soooo good. I found a cool video that was posted by the game's composer:

https://youtu.be/ua-f0ypVbPA

Here's "Rip and Tear" full track for anyone whose eyebrows were raised by that snippet in the first video:

https://youtu.be/sUhCK1vleyY

The music in the game is so contextual. When there's not much action going on, it's very environmental. When you step into a room and demons start to spawn, however, it starts to ramp up the pace of the music to a grand finale tempo. Every time you do a glory kill, it plays a little 1-second "suspenseful" music clip, for lack of a better word, over the current track. It's almost as if the track resets tempo when you get a glory kill.

Edited by frothymug

I have to reiterate that DOOM's soundtrack is soooo good. I found a cool video that was posted by the game's composer:

https://youtu.be/ua-f0ypVbPA

Here's "Rip and Tear" full track for anyone whose eyebrows were raised by that snippet in the first video:

https://youtu.be/sUhCK1vleyY

The music in the game is so contextual. When there's not much action going on, it's very environmental. When you step into a room and demons start to spawn, however, it starts to ramp up the pace of the music to a grand finale tempo. Every time you do a glory kill, it plays a little 1-second "suspenseful" music clip, for lack of a better word, over the current track. It's almost as if the track resets tempo when you get a glory kill.

This was great, thank you for the links. Agreed entirely, the soundtrack was phenomenal, it got me so pumped every time I had to slaughter some demons or deal with a gore nest, it was %100 perfect, and %100 metal.

So Doom for single player and Overwatch for multiplayer?

I'd say Doom for single player and SnapMap, coop demon hunting with friends in levels YOU build is tons of fun. Also in the future there will be more and more polished user created SnapMap levels to look forward to, I played a coop tower defense with Doom demons that was insanely fun.

Edited by Tking22

anyone going to get ps4 neo:

there a slim x1 coming August and new upgrade coming from microsoft according to your favorite source: rumors

http://www.polygon.com/2016/5/25/11774294/xbox-one-slim-one-two-scorpio

Nope to all of them.

I sorta bought into the "new console hype" and wound up getting an Xbox One maybe a week after launch, and a PS4 after the holiday madness. And since then, they've both pretty much sat and collected dust as I got most every major release since then on PC. The only thing that's kept me from selling them entirely are a handful of games that aren't on PC, like sports games, Rock Band, and the once-in-a-blue-moon console exclusive. Which reminds me, I should probably get around to picking up Uncharted 4.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Nope to all of them.

I sorta bought into the "new console hype" and wound up getting an Xbox One maybe a week after launch, and a PS4 after the holiday madness. And since then, they've both pretty much sat and collected dust as I got most every major release since then on PC. The only thing that's kept me from selling them entirely are a handful of games that aren't on PC, like sports games, Rock Band, and the once-in-a-blue-moon console exclusive. Which reminds me, I should probably get around to picking up Uncharted 4.

i traded my ps4 in today w the 250 gamestop trade in promo

I'm a diehard console player. I'm curious about the upgraded x1.

I was, from the NES through the PS2. After I got married I found out that playing console games when you're wife wants the TV for "Dancing With the Bachelor's Apprentice" or whatever reality show she was into at the time doesn't work as well. So I'd screw around on the internet while she watched TV, until one day I started thinking, "hey, why don't I play games on this thing?"

Didn't go well at first, since it wasn't a gaming PC. My next one was, though, and playing games on PC while the wife watches TV has worked pretty well for me. So well, in fact, that when we moved out of that little apartment and bought our house I made sure I had my own room for my computer and my Transformers. Having the ability to game while the wife watched TV was good, having the ability to seclude myself while gaming was even better.

But then I had a kid. I've been able to sneak in some game time by staying up late after my wife and daughter go to bed and catching up on sleep during the day by napping when my daughter does, when there's a game I really want to play. But honestly, I've spent more time playing a Star Trek-themed Puzzle Quest clone on my phone than anything else for the last couple months.

>snip<

funny thing, I have my X1 hooked up to a small computer monitor on a desk and use headphones through the headset port on the controller. it's basically a desktop setup but a console instead of a mini-tower and a controller instead of a mouse and keyboard.

anyways this is the best part of DOOM so far for me: