The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

I still hate the face to death, Sunsurge still has him beat there, but I'll deal, pre-ordered at HLJ. Easy pass on MP-12+, I see few differences between the original release, and the changes I do see I don't like very much at all.

48 minutes ago, jenius said:

I'll bite on 12+ assuming it shows up at the normal retailers at a decent price.  I'm guessing Sunstreaker's price reflects lower repaint abilities. 

That, or the fact that Takara's MPs have been creeping up in price for awhile now. Used to be similar-sized MP-style toys cost more than the Takara MPs, but lately it's the 3P stuff that's cheaper.

• 5 weeks later...

I wonder if I should buy a MP-12+ Lambor since my original toy of Lambor is this shoddy QC mess. I wonder if the toy will still be painted with a Lamborghini approved paint. The new images make it look like it is either painted in a different, brighter color or cast in plastic which seems to be a good choice.

MP12-Lambor-Sideswipe-3.jpg

http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/06/04/masterpiece-mp-12-sideswipe-official-images-340593

Edited by Scyla

With no sign of the wave 5 Titans Return deluxes anywhere, I ponied up at TFSource to get Kup, Perceptor, and Topspin. As has been the trend with the TR line, these figs are really excellent updates of their G1 likenesses, and just really nice figures on their own. Moreover, the transformation systems are well thought out, interesting, with a satisfying level of complexity. I'm looking forward to the next wave of deluxes, Misfire, Twin Twist, and a new version of WindBlade with a nice IDW accurate face. I'm also looking forward to getting Seaspray, hopefully in a store. I wish the voyager figures were as well done, but they don't seem to have the same level of design, IMHO. Alas, I'm loving the G1 homages, and hope this trend continues. They can get rid of the headmaster gimmick anytime, though. Not a fan.

On 7/15/2017 at 0:39 AM, M'Kyuun said:

With no sign of the wave 5 Titans Return deluxes anywhere, I ponied up at TFSource to get Kup, Perceptor, and Topspin.

Really?  I'm not sure about Topspin (I honestly haven't been seriously looking, since I think I quit Generations), but I've seen tons of Kups and Perceptors, and I live in an area where it's not uncommon for stores to skip multiple waves.  The Target by me has an endcap set up for the movie, but half the toys on it are Generations.

At Walmart, we have a stand-alone two-sided TF only shelf unit featuring the new Bayformers, but also Titans Return deluxe Chromedome, Highbrow, Scourge, Blurr, Hardhead, and (I think) Triggerhappy. The Target I've been to rarely ever has anything Generations stocked, except the odd leader class, and sometimes a voyager. We have quite a few stores here in Spokane that normally carry this stuff, including TRU, but of them all, in the last few years, Fred Meyers and Walmart have been the only stores that seem to be stocking deluxe figures with any kind of regularity. This year, Wally's been way behind, as they didn't stock the wave 2 deluxes until well after Christmas, and the pegs are still filled with them. Subsequently, until they get rid of those, they don't put in any more orders. Target in my area just has blank pegs where TR deluxes should be. Not sure if it's a distro problem, or their ordering system, but I've about given up on finding TR deluxes there. Likewise at TRU. Anyway, the hunt for these things has become a chronically dishearteningly unfruitful endeavor, and I finally just said 'F- it' and started ordering them online. I used to enjoy the hunt, but when nobody has this stuff, it becomes an exercise in disappointment and frustration, so I'll eat the markup and get my figures.

12 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

Anyway, the hunt for these things has become a chronically dishearteningly unfruitful endeavor, and I finally just said 'F- it' and started ordering them online. I used to enjoy the hunt, but when nobody has this stuff, it becomes an exercise in disappointment and frustration, so I'll eat the markup and get my figures.

I've heard it blamed on the retailers, and I've heard it blamed on Hasbro.  I don't know whose fault it really is, but the distribution of Transformers figures have been pretty awful for years.  I'd collected almost every Classics/Universe/Generations release for awhile, but I think it was around the time Hasbro was doing Reveal the Shield that I started missing figures because I couldn't find them and not because I didn't want them.  I almost imagine an employee at Hasbro being like, "OK, we'll send the first wave to everybody to get 'em excited, but wave 2 goes only to Targets in the northeast, while wave 3 will be split between Walmarts in the South and Toys R' Us on the West Coast."  That's why I keep saying I quit.  I especially quit after I went third party... but every now and then I still find myself buying a figure.  Like Perceptor... I have the previous Generations release.  I actually have the KFC Mugan Scope figure, too.  And I swear I'm 3P only anyway these days, but I keep thinking about the new TR figure just because he turns into a microscope like the G1 toy did.  I might grab him next time I'm at Target.

I've seen all of those figures mentioned multiple times in stores.  If I still collected CHUG I probably would have bought the recent offerings of Generations.  Some of them look cool but others are IMO just bad repaints with just the recognizable name.

IMG_4453.JPG.4a02f8bad8bd356fbd0a995661d63c87.JPG

Here's G1 Getaway, a cool figure for its time.

IMG_4454.JPG.3bbbd4ba07a8f823e1e05955831d6d86.JPG

Here's Breakaway.  Yeah pass.

So, as much as I've sworn off official CHUGs, Power of the Primes is shaping up to be kind of interesting... Deluxe Jazz, who looks to be Combiner Wars compatible, the Terrorcons (4 Deluxe and 1 Voyager), the Dinobots (4 Deluxe and 1 Voyager), Titan-class Predaking (5 Voyagers) and "Prime Masters" that appear to be Titan Master heads Power Masters named after some of the 13 Primes with Pretender shells.  Then there's the Leader Class.  Just like the Titans Returns Leaders all had base modes, the Power of the Primes Leaders look like they're going to have a gimmick of smaller robots that integrate into larger ones.  Looks like there's going to be another Power Master Optimus Prime (already), this one with an actual Ginrai to Super Ginrai transformation, a Rodimus Prime with a smaller Hot Rod, and a smaller Optimus Primal with a larger Optimal Optimus.

Edited by mikeszekely

The Dinobots are a surprise, as is Predaking.  The Dinos have my attention, as we haven' t had a full team of official G1ish Dinobots since the originals. If they do indeed combine, I hope it doesn't compromise them too terribly in bot and dino form. Jazz looks good- a nice update to his alt, but still very reminiscent of the character. Rodimus looks a little clunky in bot mode to me; bits of the smaller Hot Rod can be seen. I'll be interested to see some reviews before I really know if I want him or not. The only G1 space Winnebago Rodimus figure I own is the Titanium, so this might be a second. That beachcomber looks good, as does Slugslinger. I'm hoping larger, clearer pics of the new femme-bot appear soon; looks like a new mold.

I've got TR Ginrai, so I'm not really feeling the need for another leader class OP. I'll check reviews out of curiosity, but for now the position of Autobot leader is filled on my CHUG shelf. 

I wish Has/Tak would find a better transformation for jets; having the arms just hanging there on the sides of the plane, only somewhat integrated, looks terrible and lazy. 

Looking forward to more revelations, better pics, and reviews of Generations.  

Time to sell Feral Rex ^_^

Sadly Dreadwind and Darkwing are no own molds otherwise I'd be interested. I'd really had high hopes that Maketoys would do them but they've been silent ever since they showed the silhouettes and I have no desire to own any KFC products. :) 

3 hours ago, Scyla said:

Time to sell Feral Rex ^_^

Sadly Dreadwind and Darkwing are no own molds otherwise I'd be interested. I'd really had high hopes that Maketoys would do them but they've been silent ever since they showed the silhouettes and I have no desire to own any KFC products. :) 

I bet one Feral Rex leg is made of more plastic than Hasbro's Predaking.  

IMG_4670.thumb.JPG.99c83922ddc660be605cf3e82d55dbde.JPG

Looks like CHUG throughout the years has covered most of G1.  Just some figures here and there.  I wonder if they'll make an Omega Supreme or get to Action Masters.  Again if I still collected CHUG I'd have a huge collection.

I've been collecting CHUG all along since Classics debuted in '07, and, while I'm not a completionist, my collection is sizeable at this point. Still, room for more! It'd be nice to get an updated Punch/Counterpunch, a new Reflector, and maybe updated Omnibots (3 mail order Autobots from circa '85: Downshift, Camshaft, and Overdrive. I still have my Downshift:)). Dinobots have been a glaring omission, so it's nice to see that void being filled. I just hope they're done better than the CW Constructicons; I feel Has/Tak cut too many corners with those figs in favor of the combined form, and I passed on them in favor of third party. 

I hope, too, that Astrotrain will be revisited and given proper shuttle and locomotive alt modes. Didn't like the TR version at all.:bad:  I haven't seen either Blitzwing or Octane in stores yet, and at this point I'm still on the fence. I think they could be better; I want better, so I may pass on them even if I do run across them at some point. I still think the Jizai version of Octane was pretty well done, and I'm aware that a third party or two have toys based on that design. Still holding out for a decent official, though. 

Perusing that old toy brochure, Has/Tak have most of those covered now. I wonder if they have one of these pinned to the wall and consult it to see what to make next.

So there hasn't been much excitement on the boards re: the Movie Masterpiece Series. I have MPM-03 Bumblebee and I've been mostly happy with him. 

I even put in a pre-order with Hobby Search for MPM-04 but last night I got a notice that my order had been cancelled because HS couldn't get stock from their supplied. It's order closed at HLJ and AmiAmi and while most of the US based sellers have Prime available/in-stock or pre-order they appear to be all Hasbro stock.

Does anyone know of any place that has the Takara version of MPM-04?

And does anyone else have feedback re: either 03 or 04 releases?

-b.

1 hour ago, Kanedas Bike said:

So there hasn't been much excitement on the boards re: the Movie Masterpiece Series. I have MPM-03 Bumblebee and I've been mostly happy with him. 

I even put in a pre-order with Hobby Search for MPM-04 but last night I got a notice that my order had been cancelled because HS couldn't get stock from their supplied. It's order closed at HLJ and AmiAmi and while most of the US based sellers have Prime available/in-stock or pre-order they appear to be all Hasbro stock.

-b.

Is there even a difference between the Hasbro and Takara versions?  I was under the impression this was a joint release, not one of those cases where Takara makes a toy and months or years later Prowl or a Seeker turn up at US TRUs.  I passed on Bee, partly because I'm not into the Bayverse designs and partly because I don't think he's worth $99, but I'm debating whether or not to get Prime.

6 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Is there even a difference between the Hasbro and Takara versions?  I was under the impression this was a joint release, not one of those cases where Takara makes a toy and months or years later Prowl or a Seeker turn up at US TRUs.  I passed on Bee, partly because I'm not into the Bayverse designs and partly because I don't think he's worth $99, but I'm debating whether or not to get Prime.

Yep, there's a difference. Paint apps.

-b.

12 hours ago, Kanedas Bike said:

-b.

I've only handled my buddies Bee from HLJ and the impression I got was bad. The paint apps were shoddy at best, he leaned back to the point of nearly falling no matter how you try to pose him, and he was indeed transformed correctly with the heel bits locked in place like they should be. Really shoddy tabs that don't hold well, alt mode was a mess and didn't tab together right, miss-assembled foot/heel and a bit in the arm, scratched on the roof and rear end of alt mode towards the trunk, head was nearly stuck in place, a common complaint, and nearly snapped off, another common complaint. I've heard worse things about Prime, missing paint apps, apparently every single copy across the board is miss-assembled at the hinge where the sides of the truck cab fold/bend, the tabbing issue is almost universally common, the main window section of the truck has a VERY hard time tabbing down and sitting flush with the hood, tabbing issues with bot mode making the bot mode not nearly as secure as one would hope. It all just sounds like a mess, and at a premium price point. I'm avoiding the figures like the plaque no matter how curious I get. The main message with these two figures is buy at your own risk, there appears to be a damn near 50/50 shot you'll get a bad figure, or a decent to okay figure.

1 hour ago, Tking22 said:

I've only handled my buddies Bee from HLJ and the impression I got was bad. The paint apps were shoddy at best, he leaned back to the point of nearly falling no matter how you try to pose him, and he was indeed transformed correctly with the heel bits locked in place like they should be. Really shoddy tabs that don't hold well, alt mode was a mess and didn't tab together right, miss-assembled foot/heel and a bit in the arm, scratched on the roof and rear end of alt mode towards the trunk, head was nearly stuck in place, a common complaint, and nearly snapped off, another common complaint. I've heard worse things about Prime, missing paint apps, apparently every single copy across the board is miss-assembled at the hinge where the sides of the truck cab fold/bend, the tabbing issue is almost universally common, the main window section of the truck has a VERY hard time tabbing down and sitting flush with the hood, tabbing issues with bot mode making the bot mode not nearly as secure as one would hope. It all just sounds like a mess, and at a premium price point. I'm avoiding the figures like the plaque no matter how curious I get. The main message with these two figures is buy at your own risk, there appears to be a damn near 50/50 shot you'll get a bad figure, or a decent to okay figure.

Yeah, I've heard random complaints about the looseness of the ankle joints on Bee and missing ratchet joints, but my copy is fine. That said I don't transform any of my transformable toys very often, if ever.

A few more paint apps here or there would have been ideal, but all in all I think Bee looks good in bot mode.

The issues I've read about with Prime seemed to be mostly with the early reviewer releases from Takara, but nothing that has made me want to avoid a good looking movie figure. I suppose everyone's mileage will vary, I was just curios if anyone knew of a place to secure a pre-order for the Takara vs. Hasbro release. :D

-b.

Glad I got the leader class RotF Prime- solid toy that does a really good job of capturing the character in both modes. That said, I've lost interest in Bay-verse toys, so neither MP Prime nor Bee were on my radar. The QC issues are a bit worrying, however. I have around 20 MP figs, and I can't recall any single one of them having that many issues. With a lot of third party competition, Takara need to manage their quality if they're going to continue the current pricing trend. By way of comparison, I just transformed a few of my FT Dinobots night before last, and those figures are so crisp, with excellent alignments throughout. That should be a hallmark for Takara as well.

This kinda gives me some apprehension for Sunstreaker, especially with all the additional transformation mechanics to change from toy or real car aesthetics. Being a Countach, any misalignments will be readily noticeable. I hope they bring their A-game.  

I haven't seen any news recently, but with Wonderfest now in the rearview, was MP Dinobot on display in any capacity besides the CG model? Given the hot messes that pretty much all previous figures have been, I'm hoping they strike engineering gold with this one, earning the MP name.