The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

I have leader ROTF Prime, an amazing work of toy engineering itself, so I'm not really feeling any temptation to get this figure. I stopped collecting Bayformer figs after ROTF, as I'm not really a fan of the look, and none of the Bayformer figs from DOTM, AOE, and the upcoming Last Knight interest me. For those who do like the aesthetic, hopefully these are the MP figures you've been waiting for. Honestly, I may change my tune, at least for Prime, once reviews start popping up, if I find the transformation interesting. Doubt it though- I've pretty much lost all interest in anything related to the Bayverse, and I already have a nice collection of figures from his first three movies when the engineering in those toys was often complex and interesting (and sometimes frustrating, too). I'm hoping the next G1 MP fig will be announced this year, hopefully a new seeker mold, something surprising like Reflector or the Insecticons, or another Autobot car. In the meantime, I'm still enjoying looking at my Decepticons with their official leader- worth the wait.

Who was asking for this? I know the Beast Wars MPs have their fans, and of course the G1 toon accurate to a fault guys are their bread and butter, but who really wanted MP movie figures? I already have a ROTF Leader Prime and Buster Prime, that's way more then enough MP or high quality movie Optimus for me. He looks decent I guess, not really wowing me at all, he really doesn't look all that different from my chromed up Buster Prime, which even has the chromed transforming tank guns. This line will be an easy pass, I won't even bother with one for curiosities sake, I've got little love for movie stuff, and what I have is honestly more then I actually should have, they had some decent figures from the films, but they were few and far between.

So I got my MP-36 Megatron last Monday, and while I think he seems like he's probably the best looking MP to date IMO, I am unable to transform him.

I am stuck at the very first step where you have to flip down the gun barrel. I understand what i'm supposed to do and I've seen people do it on youtube, but for some reason on my copy, the hinge where the gun barrel folds down on has 3 raised notches. The first notch appears to be too large and is preventing me from folding it further. I'm scared to apply more force because there's actually another hinge connected to it and I feel like too much force will cause breakage.

All the video reviews I've seen don't have an issue here, and they are able to flip the barrel down on its double hinge quite effortlessly. I can only flip it down about 45 degrees before the notch stops the rotation. This is obviously nowhere near the 180 degree rotation you need for the first part of the transformation.

You will see the 3 "ridges" or "raised notches" on the hinge joint I am referring to

LCCPxtt.jpg?1

The first ridge is pretty large and blocks the barrel from rotating further than this point.

9UIC1qc.jpg?1

I can only bend it down this far. You can see that I can only get it down to a 45 degree angle when comparing it to the hinge.

AxWN67B.jpg?1

My question to other owners is, did you have the same issue as I do? Should I just apply more force to get it over the notch? I thought of filing the ridge down, but am worried that it is used for something else.

6 hours ago, ArchieNov said:

So I got my MP-36 Megatron last Monday, and while I think he seems like he's probably the best looking MP to date IMO, I am unable to transform him.

I am stuck at the very first step where you have to flip down the gun barrel. I understand what i'm supposed to do and I've seen people do it on youtube, but for some reason on my copy, the hinge where the gun barrel folds down on has 3 raised notches. The first notch appears to be too large and is preventing me from folding it further. I'm scared to apply more force because there's actually another hinge connected to it and I feel like too much force will cause breakage.

All the video reviews I've seen don't have an issue here, and they are able to flip the barrel down on its double hinge quite effortlessly. I can only flip it down about 45 degrees before the notch stops the rotation. This is obviously nowhere near the 180 degree rotation you need for the first part of the transformation.

You will see the 3 "ridges" or "raised notches" on the hinge joint I am referring to

LCCPxtt.jpg?1

The first ridge is pretty large and blocks the barrel from rotating further than this point.

9UIC1qc.jpg?1

I can only bend it down this far. You can see that I can only get it down to a 45 degree angle when comparing it to the hinge.

AxWN67B.jpg?1

My question to other owners is, did you have the same issue as I do? Should I just apply more force to get it over the notch? I thought of filing the ridge down, but am worried that it is used for something else.

I had the same issue, but was able to rotate it into place, gritting my teeth all the way. It was so tight, it ended up scraping off one of the raised ridges. Poor QC, there. Anyway, I know some folks have taken a file to those ridges . If you decide to force it into position as I did, I'd suggest gripping just the part to which the barrel attaches, not the barrel itself, as it could snap off. I think filing the ridges until the barrel moves easily is the best option.  Forcing it just greatly raises the breakage potential, and this figure is too nice and too expensive to break him.

19 hours ago, ArchieNov said:

Yeah I see the "nubs" or "notches" you were referring to when I looked at mine, and mine are definitely ALL worn down. As I said before, mine has a common QC issue, those nubs on my barrel are so worn down my barrel just freely flops out of position, so I'll never have this issue due to my copy's defect. As M'Kyuun mentioned, I'd just shave those down a tiny bit, don't go crazy with it and just keep testing it as you take more off. I've never really heard of this issue, that's very odd how your notches were too large and intact, while mine were already worn down and useless.

So for Megatron.  getting the Orange plug off the silencer was a pain. This was from hlj.  Be careful using alcohol or other solvent to take off the glue residue in the barrel.  The whole thing is painted. I left a slight finger print on mine.

Wow, seeing the state of that large plug, I can't help but cringe. Glad I went with Captured Prey- they didn't install plugs, and my Megs came factory sealed.

Dangard, don't give up on transforming Megs just yet. The barrel rotation issue is pretty easily remedied if you sand down the ridges on the double hinge that holds the whole barrel assembly. I forced mine, but having seen pics of broken barrels, I rotated just the piece that the barrel attaches to. However, it was very tight, and very hard to rotate, and after the fact, a couple of the ridges on that hinge were smashed flat, but I was fortunate to not have broken anything. I figured mine was pinned wrong, thus not allowing for the intended tolerance, but it seems this is a QC issue experienced by lots of folks. It's not insurmountable, however, and you're fortunate to have forewarning of the issue, as well as suggestions on how to fix it. Sometimes it's good to wait for the slow boat.;)

12 hours ago, Dangard Ace said:

Hmmm guess I'm never transforming my Megs when he finally arrives off the slow boat(SAL).   My buddy broke his barrel as well.  

How'd he break his barrel? Was it by flipping the gun barrel down on the very first transformation step in the instructions?

5 hours ago, jenius said:

Should I just return my hlj one and buy one from another source? I assumed I'd be able to just pop the plug out. 

honestly, yes if you you don't want to take a chance.  there was a point where i thought i really wasn't going to get it off.

This is coming from someone that always tries to tinker w/ things or take a discount for something fixable, but the glue they used is stupid.  the grooves on the plug are a result of how much pressure i hate to put in squeezing and trying to twist it.  you can see the plastic was sheering off and the plug wasn't moving.  i don't think trying to just twist at first  will work no matter the grip.  Sliding an exacto knife all the way around between the tip of the barrel and plug was the only thing to kinda "break the seal" and got the plug to budge when i twisted it afterwards.

8 hours ago, Sandman said:

That ridge issue seems really stupid. Why are the ridges there in the first place if you need to flip down the barrel? I'm surprised there isn't more outrage about this.

My guess would be all hail Takara or something, they seem to get constant passes from their most devoted fans. These figures are made in large numbers, and yes there will be issues, but the barrel thing is popping up more and more as a major issue many are facing. I read a number of different members on TFW2005 broke theirs too, the ridges just aren't molded properly on a lot of copies, they're either too tight and cause breaks, or they are like the ridges on mine, worthless, and the barrel just flops downward on his back. Prices on this official stuff just keeps going up too, I've also been reading the new re-issue Coronation MP-11 Starscream has serious issues, it's looking like the KOs of the official stuff are getting to be a better, cheaper bet. Personally, I'm willing to wait for the sexy MakeToys seekers, or just get the YM or KBB KO seekers.

6 hours ago, Tking22 said:

I've also been reading the new re-issue Coronation MP-11 Starscream has serious issues, it's looking like the KOs of the official stuff are getting to be a better, cheaper bet. Personally, I'm willing to wait for the sexy MakeToys seekers, or just get the YM or KBB KO seekers.

Oh crap. I just bough one of those SS. It's in route to me right now. What are the issues?

2 hours ago, Sandman said:

Oh crap. I just bough one of those SS. It's in route to me right now. What are the issues?

Seems like most of them are loyal sycophants instead of backstabbing schemers is the biggest issue.

On 4/29/2017 at 11:30 AM, M'Kyuun said:

Dangard, don't give up on transforming Megs just yet. The barrel rotation issue is pretty easily remedied if you sand down the ridges on the double hinge that holds the whole barrel assembly. I forced mine, but having seen pics of broken barrels, I rotated just the piece that the barrel attaches to. However, it was very tight, and very hard to rotate, and after the fact, a couple of the ridges on that hinge were smashed flat, but I was fortunate to not have broken anything. I figured mine was pinned wrong, thus not allowing for the intended tolerance, but it seems this is a QC issue experienced by lots of folks. It's not insurmountable, however, and you're fortunate to have forewarning of the issue, as well as suggestions on how to fix it. Sometimes it's good to wait for the slow boat.;)

And I save money on shipping too. :). Finally got mine today.  Good god he looks shitty right out of the box....but then I started posing him.  He is definitely very good with dynamic poses, better then the 3Ps stuff.   Loving him, straight out of the cartoon ....but straight on standing it's a hell nope. 

On 4/29/2017 at 2:37 PM, ArchieNov said:

How'd he break his barrel? Was it by flipping the gun barrel down on the very first transformation step in the instructions?

No idea.  Just that he broke his and to be extremely careful with the barrel.  Also he want s to buy my Mightron now. Ha.  No chance.  

Ok, while I do understand the plug issue, it still seems kinda absurd to put it on a barrel piece which is disconnected and in the box while the main figure is in robot mode anyway. Awaiting my megs and no plugs in site haha they way I like it ;)

Late to the party but caved in and ordered my Megs from BBTS. Had no trouble taking the orange plugs out. Wow I'm having so much fun posing Megatron. Straight to my top sharing first place with Fans Toys Galvatron.

IMG_5975.JPG

IMG_5972.JPG

IMG_5979.JPG

IMG_5987.JPG

IMG_5989.JPG

IMG_5997.JPG

7 hours ago, jenius said:

Did BBTS glue the plugs in? 

Yes, they did. But I used pliers some twisting and problem solved. Taking the plug out from the barrel was very easy, the silencer required more twisting.

Are you planning to get Megs and review it? It's a great figure much better in person than what is seen in pictures.