The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

I just received my MP Beast Wars Dinobot. I knew he’d be bigger than Primal, but even then he turned out a lot bigger than I expected it to be. 

Haven’t had the time to transform or play around with it yet, but I really like how the upper row of teeth comes out in dino mode when you open the mouth.

Also, I think they really nailed the face sculpt for both the dino and robot modes. It captures the animation perfectly.

Edited by ArchieNov

Just found my payment request from AmiAmi and realized I ordered two copies at different times- my memory is crap, what can I say? So, I just sent AmiAmi a request to cancel one of them, and hopefully they will, as that's an unexpected chunk of change to dole out when I only need one Dinobot figure to complete my life. ^_^ 

Just finished transforming Dinobot. Man, that was pretty complex with a lot of steps! Definitely something I won’t be able to do from memory until I get more familiar with it. But the end result is amazing. You will definitely understand why it cost as much as it did once you transform it yourself.

AmiAmi, bless their very kind hearts, cancelled one of my Dinobots , and I just paid up. Looking forward to having him in hand. Just from pics, it's been clear that this was by far the most faithful representation ever made, and he's not an easy character to do given the liberties taken with the animation models.

ArchieNov, does he tab together solidly? From the pics over on TFW, there's a lot of stuff swinging hither and thither to build up his bot form, so the thought of a gentle breeze causing him to dissolve into a bunch of hinged bits seems not unrealistic.

The parts that tab together, do so solidly. Nothing is floppy on my copy, but there are some parts that do not tab together (e.g. the neck, the tricep area).

Overall I think he's one of the best MPs ever made. My only real nitpick is that when you bend his arms at the elbow, the dino feet start sticking out. And maybe sometimes his neck looks too wide that it makes him seem like he has a double chin.

Anyway, here's a quick pic of mine. Pardon the crap quality. 

2018-07-28 15.55.38.jpg

And here's the pose I always wanted to do with Dinobot...

DINOBOT RIDER KICK!!! Just like he did on Megatron in Episdoe 5 hahaha

2018-07-28 17.15.37.jpg

Edited by ArchieNov

Thanks for the clarification, ArchieNov. Takara did an amazing engineering job here. The only 'flaw' I saw from pics was that parts of his shins and feet are visible when viewing him from the rear, but this was a far better design compromise than the legs and feet folding to become the dino chest, all the while doing a blatantly unconvincing job. So kudos to Takara for completely reimagining the entire transformation process; it clearly paid off- looks like he stepped right out of the animation in either form (ignoring some of the gold bits here and there on his raptor mode which hint that there's 'more than meets the eye' going on). :p

I especially like how the faux dino head/chest bits serve both modes- that's clever. Would have been a waste to have that much real estate covered in dino skin and not use it for the dino mode. Also like the swappable hands/raptor feet, instead of trying to use one set to pass for both. So far, there's a lot to like. And bonus- no whiskers to get all mangled during transformation- so wish Takara had made better room for them, or made them retract or something on Cheetor.<_<

Going through some old Diaclone catalogue and found something interesting. There were two different catalogue about the F-15 Robo (which become the Seekers in Transformers). As attached here, on the left seems to be very different from the final production (on the right) that we got. It seems that the ones on the left are prototypes or something. Starscream would have looked a bit different then

Diaclone-F-15-differences.png

Edited by Firefox

40 minutes ago, kanedaestes said:

And MP Hound has been shown apparently

I seriously had to double check that this wasn't just Willis with a cartoon-style paint job.

16 minutes ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

OP 3.0 doesn't look too shabby either.

Eh... I mean, if you're into, more power to you, but the proportions are just awful to me.  Midsection's too short, pelvis is too huge, and I can't quite tell if the legs are too long, too skinny, or both.  There's cartoon accuracy like "I'm going to make this toy look like it did in the cartoon because the original toy sure as heck didn't" and "I'm going to make this toy look exactly like an arbitrary screen grab from cheapest outsourced animation Sunbow/Marvel could buy."  Next they'll be tossing in a spare head for him with a nose and no mouth or mouth plate.

225px-Optimus_prime_nomouthplate.jpg.1d8c55f775b995f92f10950b79405a1f.jpg

6 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

I seriously had to double check that this wasn't just Willis with a cartoon-style paint job.

Eh... I mean, if you're into, more power to you, but the proportions are just awful to me.  Midsection's too short, pelvis is too huge, and I can't quite tell if the legs are too long, too skinny, or both.  There's cartoon accuracy like "I'm going to make this toy look like it did in the cartoon because the original toy sure as heck didn't" and "I'm going to make this toy look exactly like an arbitrary screen grab from cheapest outsourced animation Sunbow/Marvel could buy."  Next they'll be tossing in a spare head for him with a nose and no mouth or mouth plate.

225px-Optimus_prime_nomouthplate.jpg.1d8c55f775b995f92f10950b79405a1f.jpg

I agree here -- It's like, how many times CAN you redo something until it just becomes to much?  Macross, Transformers, you name it, if it was a cartoon in the 80's, almost every character in every episode looked a little different at one time or another because of the animation errors and different sources of the animation!  I don't think I'll be interested in OP 3.0. MP-10 was and still is just fine with me (and big MPP-10 is awesome as well!) 

I would like an MP Prime that has an accurate vehicle mode, closely following the G1 toy.  Do that, with “as good of a robot as you can make from that vehicle” and I’d be ecstatic.  “Skinny flat angular fuel tanks” are fugly and just plain wrong.  And no air horns?  No narrowing of the frame behind the cab?   Full fenders instead of the G1 quarter fenders?  It’s like they’re not even looking at the G1 toy nor the real thing, and just “copying previous takes” and moving ever-further from the source material.  

29 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

Eh... I mean, if you're into, more power to you, but the proportions are just awful to me.  Midsection's too short, pelvis is too huge, and I can't quite tell if the legs are too long, too skinny, or both.  There's cartoon accuracy like "I'm going to make this toy look like it did in the cartoon because the original toy sure as heck didn't" and "I'm going to make this toy look exactly like an arbitrary screen grab from cheapest outsourced animation Sunbow/Marvel could buy."  Next they'll be tossing in a spare head for him with a nose and no mouth or mouth plate

When I finally saw a pic of 3.0 Prime in it's entirety, it reminded me of the shot of Prime standing tall before he goes into the gauntlet, mowing down Insecticons and Seekers alike before he turns the tide in the '86 movie.  So in that sense, I think Takara totally nailed it, as awful as it may look to you.  That being said, it's not going to replace my MP-10.  I still need to learn more to see if 3.0 is great leap forward from MP-10 to deserve the MP title, and for now, I don't think it does.

Edited by Valkyrie Hunter D
'86 not '85

I already have Willis, I already have Wheeljack, and I'm perfectly happy with my MP-10 Optimus Prime.  I don't see any reason to buy any upcoming Masterpiece releases.

Thanks for sharing all the pics, guys!  :D

Thanks for sharing those pics, Ignacio. For me, Hound and Prime will be day one pre-orders.

I don't see any proportion issues with the prototype in bot mode, so I can't really comment on that. Like Valkyrie Hunter D, I think Takara got it right, This version really looks like it is taking cues from the old animated movie. It's uncanny. Unfortunately, the toon accurate bot mode has sacrificed some details in alt mode. I'm actually okay with those sacrifices, but I can understand how they might put other fans off, especially if you like keeping your bots "in disguise" as it were.

I do hope v3 Prime includes some of the same gimmicks that we got with Megatron: extra faces and battle damage pieces. I'm curious to see how it will all work.

Not feeling that truck mode on OPV3- sides are too streamlined with no discernable fuel tanks, and the aft chassis looks like it's jumbled with bot kibble. Not sure if it's just the angle, but the back tires look smaller than the front. Prime's got a sizeable backpack, probably crammed full of his truck mode shell.<_< While I think the overall look in bot mode isn't terrible, there are already enough niggles that make the third party offerings look more appealing. Really wish they'd ease up on this toon accuracy kick.

Hound looks alright. Been waiting for an official version of this guy, and I guess I should have known it'd look more like Willis than Gun Dog. I prefer the look of Gun Dog. The biggest thing that bugs me about him is the face-just seems off to me. Usually, I feel like Takara do a really good job with faces, but not this one. However, I'll reserve final opinions after reviews start surfacing.

15 minutes ago, captain america said:

I think TransformElement pulled-off a better Prime between the two, at least at the prototype stage .

I agree.  Proportions look slightly better, and the torso looks cleaner.  I also think the head sculpt is a lot better.

That said, I've played games like Transformers: Devastation and been reading various Transformers comics much more recently than watching the old cartoon, so I kind of like a chunkier Optimus, even it that's not totally cartoon accurate.  So I'm still keeping my eye on Magic Square's Optimus.  It almost looks like a compromise between MP-10 and MP Op V3.

37054940_1894652990598181_7281980723811057664_n.jpg.b6f78568949718e535d91eec7021483a.jpg

37051001_1894653013931512_4212999833725698048_n.jpg.9607bbca4f0eae43a9f59a35c5fe4076.jpg

28 minutes ago, JB0 said:

Naw, man, that ain't flame-worthy. Flame-worthy is something like "The Go-Bot Staks was a better transforming truck than ANY Optibotimus!"

It at least had air horns and proper fuel tanks, so it beats all the MP’s at “being a truck”. 

MP OP v3 looking great, Takara putting their A-game on it. Love how people are trying to talk this down as being inferior to MP-10 or non-licenced versions.

• Proportions are correct, shorter abdomen and arm length ratio to body fits, unlike MP-10
  • Flush torso/chest section, without the ugly protruding effect
  • No more wheel pouches or weird foot heel
  • Hands are articulated and are correctly centre positioned in the fore-arm, not offset like on MP-10
  • Overall improved articulation in arms, shoulders, waist, legs and feet

Both 3P Ops are looking better to me than V3, not to mention they have a standard transformation rather than a cab shell that forms around the torso. Not a fan of the shellformer solution at all. I can happily accept a slight overhang of the windshield chest parts if they are part of the alt mode.  

I think the only area that V3 will vastly be superior to the 3P versions  is in its articulation. Takara have notably stepped up their game here; I love 'em for it, but some of the other compromises they've been making to achieve that total toon look  aren't as appealing. 

Surprised no one else has commented on Hound's decidedly un-Hound looking face.  Looks like they took another bot's face, aged it, and slapped it on Hound. Took a look at my  $10 Classics Hound last night, and they got it perfect, so I expect better from a figure that'll probably range from high two digits into the three.