The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

The almost final CAD design for their IDW Star Saber by Flame Toys: 

DgHRLtuVMAAfh9C.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/flametoys_staff/status/1009317801394204672

I'm super hyped. After having their Drift in hand this is probably my most anticipated toy for the next two years. 

Awesome idea for an image Kuma. *thumbs up*

Edited by Scyla

http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/06/21/official-images-of-masterpiece-convoy-optimus-prime-version-3-2019-from-figure-king-magazine-366040

Clearer pics of MP Optimus V3. Lots of origami and a pretty gappy torso. OTOH, looks like his poseability will be markedly improved, including what looks like a hinge under his ab grill. Surprised they didn't do a little Obari pelvic thrust for the promos. I can see Kuma shaking his head disappointedly at the lost opportunity.;)

Looking at the Magic Square offering in comparison, theirs cleans up much better in bot mode while still retaining a strong toon resemblance. Not sure how I feel about V3 yet. Admittedly, I like official toys, and I generally like TT's engineering, so I'm reserving judgement until some in-hand reviews start showing up. Their Megatron pretty much had me from first showing (although I still don't care for how the torso looks with all the sandwiched origami and a plate slapped on to form his chest). But in hand, Megs is a pretty impressive figure, chest notwithstanding. The leg transformation is a sublime bit of engineering, and until now, one of the greatest challenges to balancing the bulk of the leg with the slimmer gun grip in a transforming toy. With V3, I still find the inclusion of a toon accurate bot windshield to be superfluous, but I'm hoping the tradeoff is insane poseability, including some serious butterfly joints for the shoulders.

Anyway, this popped up on TFW2005 this morning, so I thought I'd share. Cheers!

I think I need to see more... The arms and legs look pretty good, but I'm not a fan of the short torso and giant pelvis on this Prime any more than I was on MP-36. I also need to see the back.

Yeah I can see the back being a mess like MP-36, but most folks don't display their figures from behind so it will non issue for most. I just don't know if I care even if I like it enough to buy another expensive replacement figure. MP-10 is lacking in pretty much articulation only IMO, other then that I still love everything about him, I can care less about his legs having more kibble then they should. I have MakeToys Skywarp and Thundercracker on the way, I JUST got Toyworld Constructor/MP Devastator G1 box set in, and Xtransbots Toro/Cliffjumper will be on the way soon, with those figures, I will have reached my initial MP goal of every season 1 Con and Autobot in MP form. As I said, I just don't know if I will want to spend more money on another replacement figure.

Why do I get a feeling that the whole front of his truck mode folds up onto his back? It almost seems like they made the new Optimus torso, and then created a cabover shell around it. Looking forward to transformation vids; I'm thinking there's going to be a lot of panel origami on this figure. The legs look good, though, as well as overall proportions (glad the ape arms are fixed).  I'm thinking the top of his cab area in bot mode is going to be similar to MP Megatron's torso with all the folded stuff visible rather than a nice smooth cab roof. Not my preference, but not a deal-breaker either.

I mean, we all get what Takara is going for, this thing WILL look like the cartoon in both modes, but like with MP-36 and what M'Kyuun mentioned, will it be panelgeddon all over again? It gets to the point where alt modes no longer look cohesive due to all the panels IMO, just look at the front of the truck, there's no denying there is obviously a lot going on there. The back hasn't been shown off at all, but I too can't shake the feeling a lot of mass and random panels and bits will get folded onto/into the back as cleanly as possible, which might not end up looking too clean for some people, like with MP-36. Bot mode takes precedent always, but some of these alt modes are suffering, MP-36 is another example, really solid bot mode, but the alt mode is the least cohesive and most panely and messy among even the third party options in gun mode, there's just too many small panels and bits that are necessary to achieve the look and transformation. Sunstreaker was a pretty fine balance, his transformation was certainly more involved, but I don't feel his alt mode suffered, I honestly feel his alt mode was at least as impressive as his bot, but MP-36 looks like a cut up mess in gun mode, and his torso in bot is a bit of a mess of panels and bits folded up on each other, at least from certain angles.

That makes two of us. I had had designs on picking up a couple of the Studio Series figures, especially Blackout, but having had them in my hands, I just have no interest anymore. I just don't like the aesthetic, and the upcoming Bumblebee Movie doesn't improve my outlook- it's still Bayverse, just shard-lite. Show me a movie where he looks more like Generations, G1 MP, or Alternators, then I'll be interested.

But, for the folks who like Bayformers, I'm glad there are figures out there for you, too. I realize not everyone is a G-Oner. That said, that G1 Prime facing off against Bayformer Prime looks nice- reminds me of MP-01. The shopped photos of OP V3 above look alright, although the gaps in his torso are still pretty obvious. Think I like the center pic best- the darker red and blue stand out, and the head looks better to me.

Finally scored a copy of TR Blitzwing, who I previously, and most regrettably, passed on in the store. Not sure why I passed on it ; he's easily my favorite of the triple changers, so he should have been a no-brainer purchase. Anyway, I have him now, and I'm loving him- it's not perfect, but still a pretty damned good update of the G1 toy, and just a fun figure to mess around with and transform. As much as I like the previous Generations Blitzwing, with the new figure, there's a better balance between jet and tank as afar as realism goes, and  it's far more solid across all three modes. Glad I finally got him.

9 hours ago, Dobber said:

And SOMEHOW we are to believe that can transform into a truck. :rolleyes: God I dislike the Bayverse designs.

Chris

Companies like UniqueToys have actually made transforming movieverse figures that are accurate in both modes soooooo... yea.

Anyways, I'm not huge on Bayverse designs but the ones I like, I love. Knight Optimus is one of my favorite Optimus primes of all time design-wise and I much prefer the movie Bumblebees to the G1 cartoon but again those are two out of however many movie characters there are. 

8 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

That makes two of us. I had had designs on picking up a couple of the Studio Series figures, especially Blackout, but having had them in my hands, I just have no interest anymore. I just don't like the aesthetic, and the upcoming Bumblebee Movie doesn't improve my outlook- it's still Bayverse, just shard-lite. Show me a movie where he looks more like Generations, G1 MP, or Alternators, then I'll be interested.

Thirded.

8 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

But, for the folks who like Bayformers, I'm glad there are figures out there for you, too. I realize not everyone is a G-Oner.

I'm not so much "G-1 or G-TFO" as I am "These designs are complete trainwrecks, and I hate most of them on every conceivable level". 

5 hours ago, Kuma Style said:

Companies like UniqueToys have actually made transforming movieverse figures that are accurate in both modes soooooo... yea.

yes, i'm really curious to see how they pull it off. it looks good.

Spoiler

Unique-Toys-UTR-02-Challenger-01.thumb.jpeg.2387f5a965e0816609fbb3acb7df7f44.jpegUnique-Toys-UTR-02-Challenger-03.thumb.jpeg.3e2d9d35971f74a789865b78f5451cdc.jpegUnique-Toys-UTR-02-Challenger-09.thumb.jpeg.97ffa68e7e4fdf50facb9b9706210ca0.jpeg 

5 hours ago, nhyone said:

Looks like a shell-former...

Yeah but where is the shell? Did they take it off for robot mode pictures? :)

Baltmatrix reviews the Transformers Star Wars Crossover Millennium Falcon:

This is not for me and I hope my PF SDF-1 doesn't have such a panel wash applied. ^_^ 

10 hours ago, nhyone said:

Looks like a shell-former...

Even though I don't like the design, it's not so much a shellformer as a turn-inside out former, which involves some clever engineering. It's incredibly clean in both modes, so I give credit where it's due. I didn't think it transformed at all from the initial bot pics. Pretty impressive.

11 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

Even though I don't like the design, it's not so much a shellformer as a turn-inside out former, which involves some clever engineering.

"Turn-inside-out" is a good term. :D

If I don't see any alt-parts in bot mode, I automatically think the bot parts must have been hidden within the alt shell.

I wouldn't have guessed it transforms either. That's a real Transformers! :p (hidden disguise)

But taken too far, it's hard to relate the two modes. It could have transformed to anything.

Edited by nhyone

13 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

This has me worried---Takara may very well go "100% toon" and give us a Prime with no silver/chrome bits, but just "bright white".    

ugh...if they do that i hope they do a "toy" + version with chrome bumper and thighs and a nice deep blue lower legs.  that would of course have yellow eyes too.  personally i'd love that toy version but i'd want one thats roughly mp-10 deco too. 

Over at TFW a member reported the retail price for Beast Wars Megatron and it is...

...35000 JPY.

If the quality is there for demaning such a high price point I‘m sad that MP Ultra Magnus or Star Saber weren‘t 35k. 

On the other hand MP Laderwave was crazy expensive and not worth the asking price so who knows how good Megatron will be.

http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/07/03/takaratomy-masterpiece-mp-43-beast-megatron-price-and-release-date-revealed-366553

Edited by Scyla

I think Takara is pricing themselves out of the market.

$330 at BBTS. I don't care if BW Megs is the best figure Takara ever made, $330 is more than Gabriel. No way I can justify paying that much.

Edited by mikeszekely

$330 is a bit much, indeed.  I have Primal, Cheetor, and Dinobot on PO (he's a bit steep, too), and I'd love to have Megatron as well. But yeesh. Hopefully, some of the Japanese sites will have slightly better pricing, b/c yeah, they're pricing me out of the game.:(