The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

2 hours ago, Tking22 said:

Looks like some sites are putting up the MP-44 price with the early bird/pre-order discount. Definitely takes some of the sting off, but that's still one damn pricey Optimus. Still a pass for me, but those interested, THIS is your chance to get it at a somewhat, if you squint real hard, decent price. Otherwise, like with MP-36, if you miss the pre-orders on these sites you'll be paying the crazy US prices, since this will ABSOLUTELY sell out at this price and at every site that has an early bird bonus price, like with MP-36, leaving only the crazily priced US sites with stock.

image.thumb.png.b0bf1e5f6f04705f16a9e6a46d587842.png

Probably not as big a discount as it seems.  The shipping will be free from most US retailers (or $4, in the case of BBTS).  Shipping's not included in Robot Kingdom's prices, and from experience that'll probably add $40-$50.

Well, I'd be more bothered, but this was always looking like a pass to me.  My MP-10's trailer, Roller, and axe are already in a closet.  I don't need another one, or more useless accessories I'll never use like the Starscream head.  I don't like the flat colors, especially the light gray for his face ribs or the white pelvis and thighs, I don't like the rounded fingers, I don't like the short torso/long legged proportions, and I don't like the lack of a stripe in the cab mode.  And the giant backpack is a dealbreaker.  Plus the rear of the truck looks like a mess.

19 hours ago, mcfly50 said:

3P = 3rd Party. Unlicensed. 

18 hours ago, tekering said:

Yeah, best post your questions in the third-party thread instead.  8)

13 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

At this particular moment, MP-10 for Optimus. However, there are two unlicensed third party Optimuses (Optimi?) that will be out soon, and MP-44 will be out in August. Mind you, that's just for G1. There are many other 3P Optimus if you're into the Bayverse movies, IDW, G2, etc.

As for Jazz, you have three options, all unlicensed, which is why tekering suggested asking there.

EDIT- just visited TFW... yeesh. While there are some people who are pretty rational about buying MP-44, there are way too many taking offense at "negativity" by people who are dating to suggest that MP-44 isn't worth it. And the stunning leaps of illogic and rationalization in their defense of Takara's pricing may have permanently lowered my IQ.

Thanks guys. It's just the original Transformers cartoon for me. I never got into the comics, movies, or later series. I'll search that other topic for Jazz. I can't believe that a 3rd Party would be an option over an official toy. That new Optimus looks nice in the painted pictures. But I'm not an expert in the details. G1 Optimus was one of the toys that didn't survive when I went to school. Someone threw my good Transformers away.

Well, MP-10 is still a good option to fill that void, if you can find one at a decent price.  It cleans up well in both modes, has good articulation, and lovely shelf presence. 

V3's strengths are superb articulation, better proportioned arms, and hide-away back wheels for better looking legs. Otherwise it's gappy, sports a Mt Everest worthy backpack, shellforms its cab, and comes in at a hefty tag . The extras are a mixed bag- some love all that stuff, esp the specific episode centric extras, plus a big trailer that really does nothing and generally ends up in the closet.  YMMV.  Generally speaking, all I want is the figure in question and its traditional weapons, be they toy, toon, or both.  I will make exceptions, such as Ratchet's various tools, Sideswipe's pile drivers, Jazz['s arm winch (I've loved that from the get go and feel it's a part of the character), etc. 

I'm also a G1 toon centric fan, predominantly first season and the '86 movie. I loved the premise of the first season and felt, even at 13, that the show lost something in terms of maturity and subsequently became increasingly silly and dumbed down from second season on, not to say that everything in the first season was perfect, but I thought the overall tone was more serious, and there was more continuity throughout. 

1 hour ago, JetJockey said:

Thanks guys. It's just the original Transformers cartoon for me. I never got into the comics, movies, or later series. I'll search that other topic for Jazz. I can't believe that a 3rd Party would be an option over an official toy. That new Optimus looks nice in the painted pictures. But I'm not an expert in the details. G1 Optimus was one of the toys that didn't survive when I went to school. Someone threw my good Transformers away.

If I recall, they're trying to get a Porsche license so they don't get sued over Jazz.

Unlicensed robot toys aren't worried so much about lawsuits. They're either a small enough production that Porsche doesn't care, or in China.

The price on MP-44 is disappointing. if it wasn't so expensive I'd be inclined to get it since it's the best looking prime toy so far, official or otherwise.

Edited by anime52k8

20 hours ago, Numbninja said:

more star saber goodness, the articulation is splendid as expected.

*snip*

IMG_20181129_205309.jpg

I didn't realize how much of Star Sabers armor can be removed for a cleaner bot. Looks nothing like a Gundam to me:

Dr9RX01VYAE32L8.jpg

Prime V3 on the other hand looks totally like a Gundam to me. Did you see that narrow upper body? 

;)

Posting this here in case anyone else is looking to pick up MP-44 (Convoy v3). 

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/offer-listing/B07L324QLS/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=sl2&tag=aysletsfolthe-22&linkId=969bd3901abdfa81a5f6144304eff4cc&language=ja_JP

It will be interesting to see what amazon japan's final price is after all the usual discounts between now and August.

For now, the early-bird link is showing the retail price.

16 minutes ago, technoblue said:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/offer-listing/B07L324QLS/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=sl2&tag=aysletsfolthe-22&linkId=969bd3901abdfa81a5f6144304eff4cc&language=ja_JP

It will be interesting to see what amazon japan's final price is after all the usual discounts between now and August.

Currently down now to 36995y po-pricing (about 35k-yen shipped to US) as of this posting. Hopefully it gets lower:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B07L324QLS/

btw, amz-jp note on this if you intend to cancel:

This item is ineligible for pre-order cancellation after August 12, 2019.

:help:

Edited by treatment

so about $310 shipping to usa?  still...too much for the level of figure we appear to be getting closer to an acceptable number for what is on offer here.  good thing about amazon is they will give you the lowest price if the price lowers between now and then.   i can't see how this isn't he best bet for those wanting to preorder.  i sure as heck ain't paying retails at release to NY or the like.  lol.  hmmm...

5 hours ago, technoblue said:

Thanks for the link.  I’m going to see if NY will sell and and for how much before I consider buying it.

5 hours ago, sh9000 said:

Thanks for the link.  I’m going to see if NY will sell and and for how much before I consider buying it.

You're welcome, @sh9000! With luck, NY will have a good discount too.

I'm actually very curious now to see what other Masterpiece figures Takara might revisit after Convoy, if any. Ultra Magnus is at the top of my own personal wish list. I think the new Siege version of Magnus is showing some interesting ideas. The Takara engineers evidently still have Magnus on their mind, which is cool.

Edited by technoblue

:lol: That CNN pic is too funny. And too true. :ph34r:

So I finally came across Studio Series Dropkick yesterday and wasted no time securing a copy. This is the first SS figure I own (I've been tempted more than once by Blackout, but I just can't get past those terrible hands-why Takara, why?!!!), and I was a bit surprised by how tiny she is- she's deluxe scale, but one of the smallest deluxe figures I've ever owned (I own hundreds). Anyway, at $20, the price feels a little steep. Anyway, thought I'd post some comparison shots with various figs through the ages:

So in the first pic, I have her with 2007 deluxe Bumblebee( then Camaro concept), Classics Mirage, Classics Thrust, Generations Arcee, and Generations Windcharger (the only legends class figure). Bear in mind, deluxes were about $10 in '07. Arcee is about $17, and Windcharger is now $10. The second pic is with '07 Bee- quite a jarring size difference, especially when considering that she turns into an AH-1 Cobra helicopter compared to his Camaro. In the third pic, I thought I'd change up and compare her to two ladies from Animated, both deluxes as well. The last three pics show her with the only other Transformer character that I own that reasonably resembles the AH-1, Whirl. Of course, Whirl is a voyager class figure, so the size comparison is more of a curiosity than realistic. However, I do wish they'd made Dropkick in the voyager scale, but my understanding is that she was made to scale with SS Blackout, and that the entire line is supposed to be scaled to each other. Unfortunately, I can't make a comparison.

Generally, I'm not really that plussed about scale unless it's really obvious; in this case, it was to me. Dropkick feels more like a legends class figure in hand. Size notwithstanding, I think she's a great little figure, with an interesting transformation utilizing her limbs very well to form the fuselage and tail of her helicopter mode. One wonders why the same engineering can't be brought to bear with jet planes, but I digress. One downside is that her main rotor, at least on my copy, is stiff and does not rotate freely, which I think was done purposely to keep it in a relatively fixed position in bot mode. I'd think they could find a more elegant solution to allow for both, but it is what it is. Anyway, I've had my eye on this figure since pics first appeared, and I was quite pleased to finally have a reasonably accurate AH-1 Transformer. Other than the Bayformer styled head, there's very little about her that looks Bayformery, and I rather like the bot mode they achieved. As for articulation, it's rather limited in the shoulders, despite being on a ball peg. The shape of the shoulder and the mounting position of the ball joint favor the transformation, but hinder lateral shoulder movement- up and down is fine, though, although the heli intake covers, which are on ball joints, need to be positioned so as not to interfere. She has bicep swivels which allow for 360 deg. No wrist or waist swivel due to transformation. Her thighs are mounted on ball pegs which ratchet at the crotch for transformation and terminate in a ball joint at the thigh. As a result, her legs are mounted wider than her body allowing her a splendid range of motion. You could buy several and put them in a line doing Vegas showgirl high kicks. She has thigh swivels and knees which could go 180 degrees if not for the heli kibble attached to the lower legs. No foot articulation, although the feet are situated at slight angles to favor a mild A-stance to accommodate the aforementioned heli kibble, primarily the little winglets. Her head is on a ball joint, can spin 360, with very minimal up and down. Of particular note is the use of nearly every point of articulation of this figure in the transformation sequence, which I really dig from an engineering perspective. For weapons, she comes with two winglet mounted rocket pods from which Gatling cannons flip out to become hand held weapons in bot mode. One of mine is so tight I've yet to get it to flip out, so I have her carry it as a rocket launcher. It adds a little variety to her small loadout. As far as I can ascertain, she has no other external ports to mount weapons in bot mode- just her hands. I've mentioned kibble, and she has no small share, although the arm kibble, comprised of folded sections of helicopter tail boom, stabilizer and tail rotor, is situated on the outside of the arms and doesn't really impede movement. The lower leg kibble is comprised of the landing skids and the winglets, of which the latter take up a bit of real estate between the ankles. It's a shame they couldn't have had it fold a little more compact, but that's part and parcel to such a small figure. I'd love a voyager scale of her, with a little more engineering brought to bear to clean up her bot mode a little. Alas, she's actually intended to be a triple changer, with an additional car mode, so I'm glad the focus for this particular alt was the helicopter, as she has no indication of car parts anywhere. I imagine if a larger scale version is attempted, the triple changing aspect may be part of that figure, but for me, this version does the job. Hope this is informative to you guys. Cheers.

100_3641.JPG

100_3642.JPG

100_3644.JPG

100_3645.JPG

100_3646.JPG

100_3647.JPG

Edited by M'Kyuun

3 hours ago, jenius said:

I ordered from Amazon and during check out it dropped down to 34,255.

thats because listed price is with japanese tax included...you are a foreign buyer so you don't pay that.  you do pay shipping obviously but they are super reasonable with shipping prices.

as a side note you can get your taxes paid refunded on purchaseses in some countries like japan if you visit, i forget how you do it though...

31 minutes ago, M'Kyuun said:

:lol: That CNN pic is too funny. And too true. :ph34r:

So I finally came across Studio Series Dropkick yesterday and wasted no time securing a copy. This is the first SS figure I own (I've been tempted more than once by Blackout, but I just can't get past those terrible hands-why Takara, why?!!!), and I was a bit surprised by how tiny she is- she's deluxe scale, but one of the smallest deluxe figures I've ever owned (I own hundreds). Anyway, at $20, the price feels a little steep. Anyway, thought I'd post some comparison shots with various figs through the ages:

So in the first pic, I have her with 2007 deluxe Bumblebee( then Camaro concept), Classics Mirage, Classics Thrust, Generations Arcee, and Generations Windcharger (the only legends class figure). Bear in mind, deluxes were about $10 in '07. Arcee is about $17, and Windcharger is now $10. The second pic is with '07 Bee- quite a jarring size difference, especially when considering that she turns into an AH-1 Cobra helicopter compared to his Camaro. In the third pic, I thought I'd change up and compare her to two ladies from Animated, both deluxes as well. The last three pics show her with the only other Transformer character that I own that reasonably resembles the AH-1, Whirl. Of course, Whirl is a voyager class figure, so the size comparison is more of a curiosity than realistic. However, I do wish they'd made Dropkick in the voyager scale, but my understanding is that she was made to scale with SS Blackout, and that the entire line is supposed to be scaled to each other. Unfortunately, I can't make a comparison.

Generally, I'm not really that plussed about scale unless it's really obvious; in this case, it was to me. Dropkick feels more like a legends class figure in hand. Size notwithstanding, I think she's a great little figure, with an interesting transformation utilizing her limbs very well to form the fuselage and tail of her helicopter mode. One wonders why the same engineering can't be brought to bear with jet planes, but I digress. One downside is that her main rotor, at least on my copy, is stiff and does not rotate freely, which I think was done purposely to keep it in a relatively fixed position in bot mode. I'd think they could find a more elegant solution to allow for both, but it is what it is. Anyway, I've had my eye on this figure since pics first appeared, and I was quite pleased to finally have a reasonably accurate AH-1 Transformer. Other than the Bayformer styled head, there's very little about her that looks Bayformery, and I rather like the bot mode they achieved. As for articulation, it's rather limited in the shoulders, despite being on a ball peg. The shape of the shoulder and the mounting position of the ball joint favor the transformation, but hinder lateral shoulder movement- up and down is fine, though, although the heli intake covers, which are on ball joints, need to be positioned so as not to interfere. She has bicep swivels which allow for 360 deg. No wrist or waist swivel due to transformation. Her thighs are mounted on ball pegs which ratchet at the crotch for transformation and terminate in a ball joint at the thigh. As a result, her legs are mounted wider than her body allowing her a splendid range of motion. You could buy several and put them in a line doing Vegas showgirl high kicks. She has thigh swivels and knees which could go 180 degrees if not for the heli kibble attached to the lower legs. No foot articulation, although the feet are situated at slight angles to favor a mild A-stance to accommodate the aforementioned heli kibble, primarily the little winglets. Her head is on a ball joint, can spin 360, with very minimal up and down. Of particular note is the use of nearly every point of articulation of this figure in the transformation sequence, which I really dig from an engineering perspective. For weapons, she comes with two winglet mounted rocket pods from which Gatling cannons flip out to become hand held weapons in bot mode. One of mine is so tight I've yet to get it to flip out, so I have her carry it as a rocket launcher. It adds a little variety to her small loadout. As far as I can ascertain, she has no other external ports to mount weapons in bot mode- just her hands. I've mentioned kibble, and she has no small share, although the arm kibble, comprised of folded sections of helicopter tail boom, stabilizer and tail rotor, is situated on the outside of the arms and doesn't really impede movement. The lower leg kibble is comprised of the landing skids and the winglets, of which the latter take up a bit of real estate between the ankles. It's a shame they couldn't have had it fold a little more compact, but that's part and parcel to such a small figure. I'd love a voyager scale of her, with a little more engineering brought to bear to clean up her bot mode a little. Alas, she's actually intended to be a triple changer, with an additional car mode, so I'm glad the focus for this particular alt was the helicopter, as she has no indication of car parts anywhere. I imagine if a larger scale version is attempted, the triple changing aspect may be part of that figure, but for me, this version does the job. Hope this is informative to you guys. Cheers.

100_3641.JPG

100_3642.JPG

100_3644.JPG

100_3645.JPG

100_3646.JPG

100_3647.JPG

wow forgot how good that whirl is (dont' like the chicken legs but everything else is tops for a mainline figure!)!!  dropkick loks like a downsized knockoff in an odd color by comparison (yes  i know its a totally different toy)

13 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

I'm really still undecided for my first Optimus Prime figure. I can't bring myself to pay that price.

What to do? What to do? What to do? :unsure:

Buy MP-10 or any of it's variants, it is still a great toy. If you don't like MP-10's aesthetics then I'd say to just wait for the 3p Optimii to be released and watch some reviews. Course you could always go back to the G1 version, that's still a fun toy too!

18 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

Erm, Dropkick's a guy...

Oops- I thought it was a fembot character. Sorry.

@Mechapilot77- I like Whirl, too. I thought it a pretty good update, although I, too, would have preferred the straight legs of the original over the IDW interpretation. Until yesterday, I hadn't touched this figure in a couple of years, so it was nice to take it down and refamiliarize. I distinctly remember being very pleased with it at the time it was revealed, hoping that we'd get a Roadbuster that was this similar to its original toy. Alas, it wasn't to be, although the Roadbuster we got was still a decent figure. But I really wanted an updated Calibur, and ended up sating my desire with the SD version by Art Storm, which I picked up on sale. Cute little figure, although it's a bit loose in the joints.

I like Dropkick's toy ( you can get a little more articulation out of the shoulders by turning the arms out 90 degrees), and as I mentioned, I believe this is the first accurate depiction of an AH-1 we've ever gotten in any Transformers line, so I was intrigued from the first pics. The transformation has a nice complexity to it, and every bit of the bot, save the head, is involved in the transformation, which is fantastic. Recommended.

1 hour ago, M'Kyuun said:

Oops- I thought it was a fembot character. Sorry.

@Mechapilot77- I like Whirl, too. I thought it a pretty good update, although I, too, would have preferred the straight legs of the original over the IDW interpretation. Until yesterday, I hadn't touched this figure in a couple of years, so it was nice to take it down and refamiliarize. I distinctly remember being very pleased with it at the time it was revealed, hoping that we'd get a Roadbuster that was this similar to its original toy. Alas, it wasn't to be, although the Roadbuster we got was still a decent figure. But I really wanted an updated Calibur, and ended up sating my desire with the SD version by Art Storm, which I picked up on sale. Cute little figure, although it's a bit loose in the joints.

I like Dropkick's toy ( you can get a little more articulation out of the shoulders by turning the arms out 90 degrees), and as I mentioned, I believe this is the first accurate depiction of an AH-1 we've ever gotten in any Transformers line, so I was intrigued from the first pics. The transformation has a nice complexity to it, and every bit of the bot, save the head, is involved in the transformation, which is fantastic. Recommended.

Funny, i've been wanting a modern roadbuster/ calibur figure too.  i picked up that generations figure (the same time frame as whirl or so) an its...pretty decent but yeah not "g1 enough".  i guess what i really want is an "MP" level roadbuster.  the 3P options (FP and MMC) don't cover that either.  what would an MP look like?  there is no toon inspiration so we can only look to the toy...and of course the dorvack anime.  someone a few years ago did a pretty cool custom from the dorvack toy (that was released about 10 years ago...and it was very stiff and not articualted enough) and added some nice joints etc.  i'd love something like that.  i also picked up the litle SD guy.  nice figure. 

drop kick has a really nice alt mode, and it seems like a good enough toy.  if i can pick it up cheap i probably will, but won't go out of my way for it.

So have we talked yet about the possible timing for a US/Hasbro release of MP OP 3.0? MP-10 got a couple releases here, stands to reason 3.0 will as well, the departure of Toys R Us notwithstanding. I can see a more budget-priced version (perhaps with fewer extras, maybe even without trailer) showing up over here before too long.

OMG, KURO KARA KURI TARN IS IN!!!

As you might be able to tell he is quite fantastic. The only glaring negative I could find is a splotch of gunmetal paint near one of his chest lights. I need to figure out a way to get rid of it. It is probably impossible to get the part out and get it replaced. :(

On the nitpicky side there are a few things. I think they did the elbow and knee joints better on their Drift. The elbow is not pointy but an arch which doesn't look as good as a blocky elbow to me. The knees are quite ok but Drifts where such marvels of engineering that the ones on Tarn feel not as awesome. That ab-crunch though *drool*. Also some of the joints could be stiffer. Some of joints could be a bit tighter like the thighs swivels. Not that they are unusable but the other joints feel so nice during handling that they stick out a bit.

Speaking of thighs, as Kuma mentioned the proportions of the thighs look much better in hand than in photos especially if you pose him right. Same goes for his pauldrons.

Lastly one odd point. I'm a vocal opponent of LED features in toys. There are just too many negative aspects to them for a feature that is seldomly activated. I never turn them on once the toy is on display. That said I feel like he is missing one additional LED light in his upper body. Maybe the lights on the front of his pauldrons or the Energon lines in his lower abdomen? Compared to Drift who had lights on his shoulders something is missing.

Other than that he is perfect. Clearly a contender for my toy of the year. Honestly no toy of 2018 comes to mind that could stand a chance against him. Maybe their Drift but he was a 2017 toy I think and I just like the purple and black more than the white. Kuro Kara Kuri Star Saber will be ordered and payed in advance as soon as his preorder goes up.

On a side note thank god that PSX packs their packages with lots of protection since the mailman crammed the box into the housing for the trashcan (with the trashcan in it) and pushed the door shut. Luckily the box is still in perfect condition and the toy inside was not damaged. 

2 hours ago, magicsp00n said:

So have we talked yet about the possible timing for a US/Hasbro release of MP OP 3.0? MP-10 got a couple releases here, stands to reason 3.0 will as well, the departure of Toys R Us notwithstanding. I can see a more budget-priced version (perhaps with fewer extras, maybe even without trailer) showing up over here before too long.

there is no reason to think hasbro coudln't make it happen for $200-$220 or less if it wanted to, everything included.  Mp-10 was 22000 yen retail.  Hasbro MP MP-10 based Optimus was $99.99 before scalpers got to it and that was when the dollar to yen was roughly 1:100....roughly...45% the price of takara's.  and lets not be idiots...tkara's V3 is a much  much higher profit model than mp-10 was....so there is way more room to get it under $220...and lets be real at 220 it ain't gonna sell much at a mass market retailer.  it'll be $170 ish like the titan combiners if it happens.  yeah you'll have to wait a few years if it does happen but i can't gurantee that it will with the whole hasbro takara products being the same now...