The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

I don't mind the MP-14+. It is one of those "special editions" that will appeal to a small segment.

My first reaction was that I didn't even realized Red Alert was colored wrongly!

Now, ask about MP-29 (Shockwave). Most people won't mind a variant with a different shade of purple, do they?

Now the Amazon store is saying they are not responsible for the broken item...

They say takara is responsible for a broken item.

I think they are trying to give us the run around.

From what I saw on Amazon the only way to get a UW Devastator is through a second hand retailer (or is it 3rd party retailer) so that's probably why they won't back your claim. Try to figure out which retailer your friend bought from and contact them directly, hopefully they will help you out. 1 (888) 280-4331 is Amazon's customer service number according to google, also worth a try if you can get a person on the line.

Edited by dizman

Color pic of Unite Warriors Computron, with Hasbro (left) for comparison.

Compy-Comparison.jpg

Well, you're getting a toy-colored Nosecone, David. But man... I know Takara usually has a rep for better-looking toys than Hasbro, but Computron is the first one where I'm wondering why anyone would buy the Hasbro one. If you want ankle tilt that bad, there's always the Perfect Effect sets.

Other than far superior feet and hands, Hasbro's looks terrible next to Takara's (wonder why they didn't use the hands and feet, too?) The differences are strikingly blatant, with the eye drawn inexorably to the right.

Mighty Shockwave arrived today, and after a cursory transformation and a single sticker application (grrr), he's ready to defend Cybertron. Pros: I love Takara's leg solution; it's a nice bit of simple origami that goes together very well. Most of his joints have ratchets with plenty of detentes, and he holds a pose very well. There's more die-cast than I expected, comprising the feet, the internal structure and pivot for the gun barrel (shrouding the light) and also the linkage between his back and the gun barrel. Cons: the head attachment plate swivel requires that the head itself be used to swing it up into its locking detente. I messed with it for probably 45 minutes before getting it to lock, fearful that I'd snap his head off in the process. That ball joint is not very big, and definitely should have been die-cast too. I really wish they'd found a way to incorporate some kind of push-up linkage to snap it into place. The waist has a 3 point position ratchet to bend him forward, neutral, and aft. The forward position barely holds on mine, and I have to position him leaning forward a bit to get it to stay; otherwise, he just snaps back into neutral. And lastly, Shockwave came batteries not included. MP Grimlock and MP-01 Prime both came with batteries, along with numerous leader and some voyager class figures over the years. I was pretty disappointed when I took off the little panel on his arm, expecting batteries with some sort of insulating material, and it was empty. I guess this is the way of things now, even for supposedly high end toys. <_<

UW Computron doesn't even get normal hands and feet?

Considering that every other Unite Warriors combiner and all of the Combiner Wars combiners except Computron and Victorion use those hand-foot-guns, that is normal hands and feet.

I'm guessing that, like Victorion, Hasbro Computron gets better hands and feet because he's only being sold as a gift set. As for why Takara didn't use them, I think it's super clear that Hasbro and Takara obviously aren't communicating their plans for Computron with each other.

I preordered the Takara one a few days ago, when I saw the gray prototype for Nosecone. Really glad I did now (even though my long-term plan is to replace all my official CW/UW combiners with better third-party ones).

UW Computron's colors are much better than I thought they'd be. I almost think they went semi-toy-inspired for the colors, but the pattern is animation.

No idea where red Afterburner came from though, he's pure orange in both toy and toon form.

My memory of the Technobots is fuzzy, so I put Google to task. Looking at the originals, and then at the Takara versions, there's a lot of license being taken with their alts. Afterburner should have had his own mold, as recycled groove just doesn't have that cool Tron cycle look. And, he should be orange as David pointed out. Scattershot looks like a box with a gun barrel tacked on, not very evocative of the G1 toy at all. Out of the five, I think Nosecone is the only one that fairly resembles his G1 counterpart in his vehicle mode; the rest of the team, not so much.

This is one time when I feel the G1 toys, at least in their alt modes, were far better than their modern equivalents. I guess mold-milking can only go so far.

Changing the subject:

Along with Shockwave, I ordered the UW version of RiD Thunderhoof, as Hasbro's version is nearly bereft of paint apps, and the Takara deco looks lovely. I don't watch the show, but the overall design of this guy caught my eye, and the fact that he transforms into a tractor. We don't get much in the way of farm equipment alt modes, so I was intrigued. In hand, he's a nice little figure with a surpisingly interesting transformation. Of the six RiD figs I own, he's by far the most complex. Very poseable. The only real con is that his horns tend to be in the way of articulating the shoulders due to their width. And on my copy, the right front tire doesn't spin as freely as the other three, for some reason that I can't determine. Otherwise, fun Transformer with a unique alt mode. Glad I got him.

Maybe I don't know this, but it looks like Hasbro is trying to defuse the third party TF toy companies by creating characters 3P companies have made, like the headmasters and the combiners?

If so, then my issue is that Hasbro's TF toys are going down in quality while being relatively affordable, but that's good enough for me to buy them.

3Ps are at least better quality than Hasbro (even with some major QC issues), but their pricing is just a huge drawback.

If I didn't have a car payment, I would be all over 3P TFs, but right now, I am being extremely discriminatory against every toy I see.

I getting into MP transformers again after I bought MP-28 Hot Rodimus and was thinking I wanted to buy one more. But having a hard time deciding between Tracks (or Road Rage), Exhaust, MP-10 (again since I sold mine before), and Ultra Magnus. I think MP-10 is still the best among those but I'm kinda hesitant to drop the cash for something that won't be new to me. Wanted to hear your opinion on the others. The reviews I read/watch on the internet are split.

I'm looking for something that has a fairly complex or intricate transformation, and yet locks solidly into place in all modes. This is the reason why I got MP-28. Relatively simple transformations like Grimlock, Soundwave or Shockwave don't really appeal much to me anymore.

I've previously owned the following: MP-04, 08, 10, 11, 13, and 15 if that helps in any way. Thanks!

Edited by ArchieNov

You can get Road Rage for dirt cheap these days so the cost of entry is very low though truthfully I've never taken mine out of the box so I can't speak to the quality of it. I don't think any collection can lack Optimus...

One of the things about the masterpiece transformers is that they aren't overly complicated (well I guess MP-5 is but he doesn't count anymore). They are well designed so that every move is intuitive and fun, if that's what you are looking for you can't lose. I highly recommend Exhaust or Wheeljack, great car and bot modes with an interesting transformation. The only thing on them that doesn't lock into place perfectly is the backpack, its more of a problem on Exhaust but sometimes it will flop down if you tap it.

They are essentially the same, just different heads and colors. My Exhaust is just as tight and solid as WJ.

Have you considered getting Ironhide? His transformation is complex as MPs go, but also very fun IMO.

Is Iron Hide that good? Reviewers say he looks much better in person but he just looks super pot-bellied to me. If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't be hesitating.

Get Shockwave.

I think I already said Shockwave doesn't do it for me. I love the character, one of my most favorite Decepticons ever. But the transformation is too simple and the gun mode isn't exactly a nice display piece IMO. Edited by ArchieNov

Is Iron Hide that good? Reviewers say he looks much better in person but he just looks super pot-bellied to me. If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't be hesitating.

I think I already said Shockwave doesn't do it for me. I love the character, one of my most favorite Decepticons ever. But the transformation is too simple and the gun mode isn't exactly a nice display piece IMO.

Regarding Ironhide that won't go away even in hand. However the transformation and overall quality of the toy makes it easier to overlook the beer belly. However it is there and it doesn't help that I can see his upper torso on my shelfs standing behind the other bots (unflattering perspective). I really wished the included a face torso piece like on MP-10 and while Ironhide was meant to have the hood and windshield of the Nissan as a chest it doesn't look like that in most of the Transformers media.

I would recommend MP Ultra Magnus. The mold has (major) issues but a great and easy to pull off transformation. It is just a fun toy to mess with. If you want to go with a Car-Bot I want to make a strong case for the Datsun brothers. Anyone will do but I think you can get a blue Bluestreak fairly cheap nowadays and it looks spectacular. It has the right joints everywhere and is fun to transform and play with.

If you want to try a 3rd party Masterpiece you should consider MMCs Sphinx (Mirage). The toy is a bit marred by all the die-cast in the legs (read: they should have used ratchet joints in the hips) but it has everything I want from a Masterpiece Transformer. Quality paint applications, die-cast mostly in the right places, rubber tires, stunning transformation, joints galore: all in all a fantastic package.

I think I already said Shockwave doesn't do it for me. I love the character, one of my most favorite Decepticons ever. But the transformation is too simple and the gun mode isn't exactly a nice display piece IMO.

I actually thought I only saw Soundwave in there.

But to be fair, I'm biased. Shockwave is the objectively superior Transformer.

I actually thought I only saw Soundwave in there.

But to be fair, I'm biased. Shockwave is the objectively superior Transformer.

we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. :mellow:

Okay, I'm leaning towards Ironhide now since everyone seems to speak highly of it.

Oh, I also read something disturbing. Is it true that the MP-10 reissues have a tendency for their chrome parts to fade, even out of box? Moreover, I've seen people claim that their rubber tires start cracking in less than a year. I used to have the first release MP-10 and never had these issues. If this is true about the reissues, I kinda regret letting go of mine in the first place.

I haven't heard of the issue with the chrome parts before. The issue with the rupper probably stems from the weather in your area. so basically humidity and temperature will lead to a faster deterioration of the rubber material.

I had my doubts too, especially with the "tires for butt cheeks" thing, but after finally getting to handle him, those things didn't seem to matter too much. His paint and finish is superb, I didn't run into any floppiness with his joints, and the face sculpts are spot on. Looking at his bot mode, it's a wonder to think it all folds up tightly into a vanette. I have to note too that the transformation is forgiving; as all the parts comes together, it all just fits if that makes any sense. I guess I'm just used to 3rd party stuff where all the tabs and locks have to be lined up perfectly for proper transformations. In any case, Ironhide makes a great MP.

ironhide is impressive in hand but the issues you see in photos still remain. hollowed out back section, hip flaps, tire butt cheeks. still the overall feel is very accurate to ironhide and in certain poses and angles those things are almost neglible. i don't have a 3P ratchet to compare to but this is the best ironhide to date IMO. you have to really like the cartoon model ironhide though...he is sort of dumpy looking just like the toon. anyway, not my favorite mold but better IMO that say ultra magnus (although everyone else seems to like that one) and tracks/roadrage (i like tracks better because of soruce material but ironhide IS teh better MP toy of the two).

Edited by Mechapilot77