The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

I find it kind of telling that Takara keeps appending letters to MP-11 every time they release a new seeker variant, where as every other post MP10 repaint has gotten a unique number. they're basically admitting that yes, these are just easy cash-ins and shouldn't be counted as part of the ongoing masterpiece line.

Same thing with MP12.

So Toys R Us in Taiwan are apparently giving away Combiner Wars Deluxe Groove as part of a promotion (spend NT 1799, get Groove for free). It's not much for those of us not in Taiwan, but it's the first time Groove has been released outside of Japan and by Hasbro (Asia) and not Takara. Fingers crossed that we might get a Deluxe Groove in the US yet, even if it does wind up being a limited release like Slingshot and Wildrider.

I have a question to those in the know about the TFCC subscription service. What do I do to get the Armada Skywarp without joining the club? Will it be available from shops like BBTS where you can get it with a mark-up?

FINALLY!!!

In-hand pics of the MP-29 MIGHTY SHOCKWAVE, as posted at tfw-forum:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-news-rumors/1052100-masterpiece-shockwave-revealed-prototype-images-post13456899.html?s=73fc2ae773c39370e571ba70348bd5b7

direct link to the chinese(?) blog that revealed it:

http://blacklai1979.blogspot.tw/2016/03/takaratomy-masterpiece-mp-29-destron.html

GO GO GO!

:bump:

Edited by treatment

So the Decepticon symbols are not painted on but stickers? What a disappointment. That was the one thing that Takara had over the 3rd party transforming toys. The purple color looks terrible in some shots but I know that purple is hard to photograph so I will wait for a final verdict till I have it in hand.

Maybe another company can make two diecast AAA batteries to go in his chest to give him more weight. No real battery will be placed in my toys. ^_^

Edited by Scyla

Guest davidwhangchoi

damn no sounds...... it's a must buy! love leaking acid toys

maybe hasbro will make it darker :)

Edited by davidwhangchoi

So the Decepticon symbols are not painted on but stickers? What a disappointment. That was the one thing that Takara had over the 3rd party transforming toys. The purple color looks terrible in some shots but I know that purple is hard to photograph so I will wait for a final verdict till I have it in hand.

Maybe another company can make two diecast AAA batteries to go in his chest to give him more weight. No real battery will be placed in my toys. ^_^

+1 They've tampoed every other release with the faction symbol; why not Shockwave too? One of the things I enjoy about the MP line is not having to apply stickers.

I'm also in the crowd that wishes he was darker purple, like the G1 figure. Takara make no sense; they're slavish to the animation to a fault with certain things (like UM's red bumper-chrome would have been so much nicer), and take license with others, esp those things we want them to be slavish to. Argh!

Kinda cool how the cannon pulses, but it would have been accentuated with some sound effects; it's not like a sound chip takes up that much room these days. It'd have been cool, too, if they'd had Corey Burton record a few of Shocky's lines from the original show. Ah, well.

As far as MPs go, Ratchet aside, I'm ready for them to announce the next G1 figure. I hope the lack of news in this regard heralds a MP Megatron announcement. Or a new Seeker mold. Either would be most welcome.

+1 They've tampoed every other release with the faction symbol; why not Shockwave too? One of the things I enjoy about the MP line is not having to apply stickers.

I assume it's because where the faction symbols actually go on Shockwave has varied quite a bit. the animation tended to put them on the front and back of both forearms; the toy had it smack in the middle of the chest; and the comics used both the arms, chest and sometimes the front or side of his shoulders.

anyways, what do the AA's actually do on MP shockwave?

Edited by anime52k8

I assume it's because where the faction symbols actually go on Shockwave has varied quite a bit. the animation tended to put them on the front and back of both forearms; the toy had it smack in the middle of the chest; and the comics used both the arms, chest and sometimes the front or side of his shoulders.

Good question; I was wondering that myself, since those two watch batteries would be enough to power the LED. Presumably.

I was generically looking up pics of MP Primal, when I stumbled upon this from a few years ago: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/913918-mp-optimus-primal-fur-collab-getrightrobot-encline.html

That is what I was hoping we'd actually get, or something close. Hat's off to a brilliant custom.

Since Takara is so slavish to the cartoon I don't understand that decision. Especially since there are ways to remove the printings easily. The toy looks unpainted to me so it would be no deal to remove the faction markings with some rubbing alcohol without doing harm to the toy. It is always easy to remove them but incredibly hard to put something on with the same quality as factory applied markings.

Maybe they opted not to print them on because the two parts of the lower arm meet in the center where the marking would be. Maybe they aren't able to apply them cleanly over a seam-line. It is a total bummer though and I probably have to buy the Ocean transfer decals to finish a official toy.

I know the use of stickers aren't unrepresented since MP Rachted have them (but they couldn't put the Red Cross markings directly on it) and G2 MP Sideswipe had them (but he was an offshoot of the original toy) but he had them but the stickers where the prime reason I didn't buy G2 Sideswipe. I'm a major Shockwave fan so I have to get it but this really devalues the toy in my eyes.

In my toy collecting habits I value consistency in a line more than anything else so this back and forth on the renewal Masterpiece line makes them a love-hate relationship to me. There where several major shifts in the line from MP-10 to MP-29 and I just want to line them all up in my shelf and they should look good together. :(

Apparently the AAs are so muzzle flash in gun mode can be brighter than the robot mode lazer hand. Which, while laudable, is still silent.

(And leaves me trying to figure out where the muzzle flash bulb is mounted.)

Now, then... DAMMIT TAKARA! ANNOUNCE A TOY COLOR VERSION.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Apparently the AAs are so muzzle flash in gun mode can be brighter than the robot mode lazer hand. Which, while laudable, is still silent.

(And leaves me trying to figure out where the muzzle flash bulb is mounted.)

Now, then... DAMMIT TAKARA! ANNOUNCE A TOY COLOR VERSION.

it will be takara mall asian exclusive for 10 days for 400 bucks then tfsource will sell it for 450 then 600 with exclusive coin and collector brand batteries.

Damn, i REALLY wanted to get Shockwave, as i had the G1 one version as a kid and he was one of my absolute favs! That sound was just earpiercing!!! buuuut that lavender color, stickers and no sound ...yeeeeah...I'm gonna have to pass. :( . Maybe the Hasbro version will be darker if they do one.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Damn, i REALLY wanted to get Shockwave, as i had the G1 one version as a kid and he was one of my absolute favs! That sound was just earpiercing!!! buuuut that lavender color, stickers and no sound ...yeeeeah...I'm gonna have to pass. :( . Maybe the Hasbro version will be darker if they do one.

maybe colors will look better w another review.

I kind of want it because this was MY childhood, but at the same time it doesn't look mindblowingly better than the toy I had as a child.

I've never owned a G1 Shockwave, and I can't recall if I've ever even had the opportunity to handle the toy, so he's a must for me. I wish he were more in line with the changes we've been discussing, but overall, I like it. I hope MP Megs isn't too far behind. Moreover, aside from Soundwave and his cassettes, Shockwave is only the second new Decepticon mold in the MP renewal line. MP Megatron is long overdue; it bugs me that Takara didn't develop MP-10 and a new MP Megatron simultaneously. It would have been a cool start to a new line, with successive near simultaneous releases of an Autobot and Decepticon for display balance.

As for Optimus Primal, I'll likely get him, but he's not as refined as I'd hoped he'd be, esp for a MP figure. He looks like a mainline leader or voyager Generations fig to me, really not much better than Rhinox (who I think was done exceptionally well), Rattrap, or Waspinator. I wish they'd release him as such instead of branding him under the MP line, thus justifying a greater price tag. I really, really wish they'd gone the avenue of the customizers I posted previously, using faux fur to make him actually look like an animal. That's the step up that would have dilineated him from his retail Maximals.

Even if I were collecting MPs, I'd pass on Primal. Beast Wars was a good show, but I'm still not into the idea of robots turning into realistic animals. Robo-animals, like the G1 Predacons, are fine though.

Guest davidwhangchoi

i thought beast wars was dumb when the writers initially distanced themselves from g1. once they put in ravage, i was hooked. i still wished they were able to get Frank to do the voice for that episode.

I hope this doesn't become a habit. I don't mind applying stickers, but depending on the quality, they peel off with time. And there's bound to be an ugly crease running down the middle since it's supposed to sit right smack between the 2 halves of the forearm.