The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

Every MP release has compromises, I'm still not getting why Ironhide's are any worse or more egregious. Bumblebee is cool, but he's got hollow arms that probably COULD have been covered by those little tail light panels, but Takara dropped the ball there, the Datsuns are pretty nice, but the backs of their legs look terrible and are hollow, Red Alert and Sideswipe have massive, massive, super noticeable gaps in their torsos, and yes, giant chests. I passed on Magnus, Star Saber, and the two Corvette dudes, they do nothing for me, so I can't speak for them, but Ironhide looks like he's par the course for standard Takara MP releases.

A local comic shop had a huge store-wide back issue sale---most were $1. I picked up 14 back issues of IDW, and so am now almost totally caught up. Going to go to their other location tomorrow, and see if I can snag the last few I need. $1 issues, right now, is a lot better than waiting until March and May for the next TPB's and paying $20 each. :)

Good find, David. I wish I could find a sale like that in my area. I've never been much of a comics reader, but there are a few of the TF comics I wouldn't mind reading. The problem I've found is that no particular comic is complete, and missing issues is a bummer. So, I just live in blissful ignorance. ;)

Honestly, my only connection with the comics are the toys based off of them.

Scyla, it's regrettable that the nitpicks w/ the MP toys seem to ruin your enjoyment of them; I guess I'm more forgiving, as I enjoy all of mine, although I'm certainly aware of their flaws. As for what constitutes a bad toy, the VF-2ss kinda falls in that category for me. As much as I'd like to have a 1/60 scale version of the Valkyrie II, there are too many glaring issues with this toy to justify paying what I'd pay for a far superior Bandai release. I suppose it comes down to what you're willing to overlook, level of expectation, desire to own it, and willingness to pay what they're asking. It falls short, IMO.

Some of them are but the price point of 3P's are much higher then the official stuff. For instance using TFSource, MP Ratchet is ~$90usd while Voodoo Salus is $120usd. HLJ = ~$66 for MP Ratchet. For a $30=$$54 difference it better be better, you can almost buy another Takara MP for that, but alot of the time they deviate just enough that it is not the perfect MP is should be.

Forget what I said about 3P Ratchet being better than Takaras van bots cause it's more expensive. Just saw Uranus's new gallery and it had a comparison of Ironhide standing next to Voodoo Salus and it completely blows Salus out of the water imo.

http://robotjapan.proboards.com/thread/23580/mp-27-ironhide?page=5

A mod if you don't like the hip kibble.

http://tfnd.net/xf/index.php?threads%2Ftakaratomy-masterpiece-mp-27-ironhide.36619%2F#post-318841

The previous post has a scan of the Spay-C Decal set. Please let me know if you need an update. Sorry for not using messenger but thats giving me fits from work.

Thanks! That will be a huge help in restoring the poor guy!

Edited by JB0

Every MP release has compromises, I'm still not getting why Ironhide's are any worse or more egregious. Bumblebee is cool, but he's got hollow arms that probably COULD have been covered by those little tail light panels, but Takara dropped the ball there, the Datsuns are pretty nice, but the backs of their legs look terrible and are hollow, Red Alert and Sideswipe have massive, massive, super noticeable gaps in their torsos, and yes, giant chests. I passed on Magnus, Star Saber, and the two Corvette dudes, they do nothing for me, so I can't speak for them, but Ironhide looks like he's par the course for standard Takara MP releases.

Well the only thing they had to do with Bumble is to make his fists rotate out like the ones on MP Starscream and you would not have any problems with tiny trapdoors or panels that have to fold over. The just had to make the forearms a tad thinner to have room for it.

Anyhow. I know that a transforming toy has to have compromises especially if it is a Transformer. MP Ultra Magnus (so I don't pick every time on poor Tracks and Star Saber) has several issues like the fact that he has no waist joint, not enough articulation in the hands, missing panels that hide those hands in at-mode or not enough details picked out with color. Those are all nitpicks I can overlook because they don't detract from the toy. However the butt-flap and the gaps in the shins have super easy solutions to fix them and that makes the toy look unfinished.

MP-10 to MP-21 don't look unfinished in any mode even if they had to have compromises because they are transforming toys. That is why the post MP-21 releases are disappointments for me and it stings even more because I know that they could have been better looking at the previous releases.

And it is the same with Ironhide and the hip panels. Why can't they rotate behind to cover the wheels so they fill up the back or rotate up to fill up the lower abdomen that looks strangely proportioned. Nevertheless I'm looking forward having him in hand. :)

I'm gonna leave it at that because it seems that I'm a person with very special needs. :p

Kawamori designed a number of the Diaclone toys; I wonder if G1 Ironhide/Ratchet was one of them. Honestly, even by 80's standards, who would have really thought this looked good after finishing the design? And yet, I own G1 Ratchet, so it kinda tells you where my standards were in around '84 or '85. B)) Even then, though, I thought the pseudo-head was terrible.

Checked my tracking today, and my MP Ironhide just departed San Fran on its way to WA. I should have him in my grubbies by Wednesday. :D

My MP ironhide came in today and I must say that Ironhide is a must get. Takara is back on track with this release. Tracks and Road rage were let downs, but they hit they hit the ball out of the park with MP-27. I can't wait to get Ratchet. Only wish his elbows and knee's were double jointed, but he still has a lot of articulation. You also get a ton of accessories with this release. Great bang for your buck.

Edited by Golden Arms

Guest davidwhangchoi

My MP ironhide came in today and I must say that Ironhide is a must get. Takara is back on track with this release. Tracks and Road rage were let downs, but they hit they hit the ball out of the park with MP-27. I can't wait to get Ratchet. Only wish his elbows and knee's were double jointed, but he still has a lot of articulation. You also get a ton of accessories with this release. Great bang for your buck.

that's great to hear, all i kept previously reading was nit picking normally found on tfw2005, that i why i don't go there. i have him in private warehouse and pretty excited.

I read all of the negativity with a grain of salt. Most people that complain are consumers not producers. If they had any talent, they would be the producers, not the other way around. That isn't to say that all complaints aren't valid, but that they should evaluated on merit. You won't be disappointed with him when you receive it. It's fun to transform, well articulated, looks close enough to the G1 cartoon and comes with a ton of added accessories that pay homage to the cartoon. The face plate removal gimmick is ingenious. The paint application is great and feels Masterpiece in quality.

I read all of the negativity with a grain of salt. Most people that complain are consumers not producers. If they had any talent, they would be the producers, not the other way around. That isn't to say that all complaints aren't valid, but that they should evaluated on merit. You won't be disappointed with him when you receive it. It's fun to transform, well articulated, looks close enough to the G1 cartoon and comes with a ton of added accessories that pay homage to the cartoon. The face plate removal gimmick is ingenious. The paint application is great and feels Masterpiece in quality.

I don't think this a fair assessment. You don't need to be a good creator (of any kind of material) to be a good critic (of said material). I never hid the fact that my complaints are nitpicks (by and large) and I think I made valid suggestions what could be done about it.

On the other hand maybe I'm an entitled brat that is too spoiled by my Valkyries, Metal Build Gundams, Riobots and Soul of Chogokin (and SRC) toys. As I said none of the other toy lines have to pull off the same stunt that a Transformer does so shortcomings have to be accepted. However I think it is fair to say that Takara collector products are not on par when it comes to fit and finish (and sometimes engineering) compared to collector focused products from Sentinel, Bandai and Arcadia.

I also think that the little details make a good toy great. The Masterpiece Transformers are good transforming toys but they are not great. They are always alternating around the good level, sometimes they are above (Streak), sometimes they are below (MP Tracks) . I think that Ironhide is a good transforming toy but not great like Streak but also not bad like Tracks. But because I'm a spoiled brat I demand greatness (and I'm willing to pay for it). :D

Edited by Scyla

Scyla my comments were aimed mostly at the comments posted on TFW2005 not Macrossworld. So take no offense as none was meant. Most of the critiques posted in this thread have mainly been positive and within reason. My post at 1 am in the morning often times come out a little stronger than I intend most of the time, so they too should be taken with a huge grain of salt! I think we the fans often times forget how good we have it with certain toy lines like transformers. It is a property that has so many manufacturers producing product at so many price points that the average consumer or collector should be able to find something that meets their expectations unlike Macross.

Is the masterpiece line without fault. No, but have most of the releases been good for the price that has been offered? I certainly think so. MP tracks has been the only fail in my eyes. The other bots, yes each one has things that could have been better, but I don't think they are deal breakers. My Favorites in the line are MP prime (perfection defined) and the Nissan/Datsun mold. Close 2nd in my eyes.

I disagree in the since that I think the line is a great line. The value you get from a $66 Ironhide is unreal in my book when I compare it to some of the higher end toys line you and I collect that you mentioned. Even though Tracks was a miss in my mind, I applaud all of the other goodies they packaged with the toy. Flight stand, Raul, Blaster, etc. Ironhide felt like even better bang for the buck and gave me a SOC feel with all of the additional accessories. I was never a huge fan of the character, but the release feels like a centerpiece for any MP collector.

Edited by Golden Arms

No offense taken. I also frequent the TFW board and got the impression that there is a tendency to rate everything companies but up in their collector oriented lines (Masterpiece, 3rd party Masterpiece alike and regular 3rd party releases) is viewed as the bees knees (i.e. everything is awesome, perfect, 10/10). However if I look at other toys in my collection that are aimed at collectors I can't share that conception (the same goes for NECA or Black Series action figures). That's why I'm asking if I have a misconception about this toyline or if the others are off.

My Ironhide came today, and I was surprised by the heft when I liberated him from his tray...very solid in-hand. I questioned whether there was some die-cast in him, but, sadly, there isn't. Otherwise, Golden Arms, you're on the money with everything you said. Perfect? no, but still a damned fine Ironhide figure that eclipses any other version ever released of his G1 cartoon representation, esp his weird G1 toy. The transformation sequence is brilliant. I was surprised to see his large cannon and the smaller gun that adorned the front of his G1 treaded platform both chromed, along with his front and rear bumpers. Chrome is such a rarity with TFs these days, so it's nice to see it, if only for the homage to the original toy.

Articulation wise, I'll echo the sentiments that his elbows and knees would have benefited from double joints, and his ankle articulation fore and aft is limited. I wish they could have made the hinges on the insides of his legs a little smaller, or found a way to make them fold flush, as they stick out a bit noticeably, esp if he's standing with his legs close together. These nitpicks notwithstanding, this is a really nice figure, and I'm glad we finally got an official figure that homages the original animation so well. Now, I'm ready for Ratchet. :D

Takara posted a video featuring an unpainted proto of Optimus Primal. From the front he looks pretty decent, but his robot thighs are clearly visible from behind, and the robot feet are also quite noticeable, moreso, in fact, than the original Voyager fig, which hid the robot feet via transformation. Here's the link: http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/best-look-at-mp-31-beast-convoy-optimus-primal-in-new-video-and-still-images/34669/

Honestly, I expected better from Takara on a Masterpiece figure. Robot parts showing in a CHUG voyager or even leader class fig would be tolerable; people would still raise holy hell over it, but at those price points, it wouldn't be surprising. I'm surprised they couldn't find a solution to fix that, even if they just made a two sided rotating panel ensconced within the thigh...something, anything besides doing nothing. <_< Disappointing.

Guest davidwhangchoi

anyone think its odd the mistranformation of mp-27 looks better than the official transformation? I wonder what comprismises the fan transformation have. i've yet to open mine up

can you show pics or link to the mis-transformation? i'd like to see it vs. the regular,

Me Too.

M'Kyunn glad that you like him. Very solid release in my book. Can't believe Hot Rod will also be released this month.

Not into Beast wars so Optimum Primal as any other beast wars will be an easy pass for me.

Hot Rod Transformation vid. Tak seems to be upping their game with locking the figures down in both Bot and alt modes according to this and Ironhide. Everything tabs together in both modes.

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/takaratomy-mp28-hotrod-video-transformation/34673/

Also MP Primal scales with Rattrap and Rhinox.

Edited by kanedaestes

If it's that one I would wait until a 3P does a upgrade set since the R&D is already done for them they just need to pretty it up. Maybe make a vanette with a bigger windshield but as it is I wouldn't bother cutting into MP Ironhide just yet.

That sounds interesting. I didn't know there was a lot of empty space right directly below Ironhide's back.

That sounds interesting. I didn't know there was a lot of empty space right directly below Ironhide's back.

I'm not saying a 3P is doing this but that someone like Fanprojects or PE should do it or be working on doing it. That modders already sacrificed his MP to prove that it can be done. 3Ps just need to clean his work up and make their own tweaks.

Guest davidwhangchoi

what??? why would you break your MP wheels off. it looks horrible...

that's what i did in 3rd grade to my brothers starscream. i filed the wing nubs so they fit more snug(success) and took apart megatron's barrel to reverse it to point upwards in bot mode to look like the cartoon. (i really messed him up)