The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

I ordered one. All is forgiven. Although this guy may need proof that you're a team player. :mellow:

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLL

Gary? Gary?

On topic: I may go back and order Smoke Exhaust, but only because it's the completion instinct taking over.

http://www.hlj.com/product/TKT81693/Sci

-b.

Edited by Kanedas Bike

Star Sabre does nothing for me, at all. Never saw the cartoon with him in it - which I think plays a big part.

From face value, the colour placement and weighting just are bleh.

Transformation looks too simple and not very imaginative, I know it's an update, but just seems really boring and too Gundam for me.

Ultra Magnus on the other hand looks pretty sweet - more as an updated to the G1 toy and as a heavy hitter bot on my shelf. A little bummed out apparent articulation, but can't wait for reviews - still pining for a white-optimus :D

i'm disappointed in you Gak :D

I let myself down, and the team.

^^LOL

Forgot to mention that despite my incessant trash talk about MP-24, and no I'm not a convert/fan of the colors, space-brickiness or Gundam-esque aesthetic I did order two earlier today. As Gak pointed out it's only $ 280 so I figured why the heck not.

-b.

Because it's $280, for something you're not even a fan of, twice.

That'd be my reason, although I'm having fun watching everyone else in this thread. And I mean, I do get the appeal of the toy in the sense that it looks like a very articulated toy that's animation accurate in both modes... but then again, I'm not running out to buy articulated, animation accurate Dora the Explorer toys, and thanks to my nieces I'm sure I've seem more episodes of that than Transformers Victory.

Also... why's everyone saying Spacebrick looks like a Gundam? Don't be down on Gundam like that (especially since I quite Transformers to clear shelf space for Gundam kits); Spacebrick wishes he looked as good as Gundam.

Because it's $280, for something you're not even a fan of, twice.

Collector's mentality and Transformers, especially Masterpiece releases is a property that I actively collect. And if I really and truly decide I don't like it I'll be able to sell it and almost certainly make a little money on the transaction.

And $ 280 total, not sure if you meant $ 280* 2 or not.

That'd be my reason, although I'm having fun watching everyone else in this thread. And I mean, I do get the appeal of the toy in the sense that it looks like a very articulated toy that's animation accurate in both modes... but then again, I'm not running out to buy articulated, animation accurate Dora the Explorer toys, and thanks to my nieces I'm sure I've seem more episodes of that than Transformers Victory.

Also... why's everyone saying Spacebrick looks like a Gundam? Don't be down on Gundam like that (especially since I quite Transformers to clear shelf space for Gundam kits); Spacebrick wishes he looked as good as Gundam.

The colors and aesthetic absolutely evoke a feeling of old-school Gundam. Not 00, Destiny or the newer designs, which I like. But yeah, I could see Star Saber fitting into the Gundam universe a lot easier than into that of Transformers - purely off of color scheme and "look".

-b.

^Is that one of Soundwave's cassettes carrying Blaster?

That's Frenzy... I mean Rumble... I mean one of Soundwave's cassettes rockin' out to Blaster's phat beats.

Space Brick actually looks neat. I admit this.

But not a hundred and fifty dollars of neat.

That's Frenzy... I mean Rumble... I mean one of Soundwave's cassettes rockin' out to Blaster's phat beats.

Ah, yes a judgement on value, I hear you on that and no arguments on what you think your dollar is worth. In my head I thought that he'd be much more expensive, that's probably why I didn't hesitate to place an order.

And shaking my head at yet another example of how hilariously inaccurate Transformers are animated. :lol:

-b.

Collector's mentality and Transformers, especially Masterpiece releases is a property that I actively collect.

It's cool. I have kind of an OCD thing that makes be buy stuff I don't want or need sometimes, so who am I to judge. (Basically, if something is a set, and I buy one, I often feel a need to complete the set. For example, I have the entire Sam Raimi Spider-Man trilogy on Blu-ray, even though I only liked the first one).

Yeah there are so many gundams... but the original ones were fairly simple.

Yeah, yeah. Primarily red, white, blue, and yellow. Just like Optimus Prime, BTW. It's the way it's arranged on Space Brick, though.

In any case, yeah, maybe Space Brick looks like some old late 70s/early 90s style Gundam artwork, but modern takes like the 1/144 RG kit and the 1/1 life-size Gundam in Odaiba look much better.

post-187-0-54176300-1410231361_thumb.jpg

Rumble. Coz it's cartoon.

Only the delusional comics-fans think Rumble is a different color.

Still looks way too meh to me. Still don't get the appeal.

Rumble. Coz it's cartoon.

Only the delusional comics-fans think Rumble is a different color.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I have an easier time believing that Rumble and Frenzy's names got mixed up on the packaging than Soundwave was calling one of the main cast of Decepticons the wrong name for three seasons. FIBRIR for life.

But you will become a fan of, and when Victory Leo comes out you'll be super stoked and all the kids will be jealous.

V. V. Viccctorrrrrrry.

See, if we were talking about Dia Atlas, Sonic Bomber and Roadfire, then I'd agree with you.

I think star saber's biggest problem is that he's too in the middle between the original US G1 and the later proto-brave Japanese G1. He's too super-robot and abstract to fit with Optimus prime or megatron, but he's not on the same level of crazy super-robot-drill-tank that the Zone/RoC Autobots reached.

Also, Rumble's toy was red, therefore rumble is red. Clearly it was just weird lighting and shadows in the show making him look purple/blue.

Edited by anime52k8

Guest davidwhangchoi

?????

Japan TF wannabe superfan. jk ;)

no way i'm getting spacebrick. there are so many people starving in the world.

I also ordered both. ^_^

just kidding around :D anyways, congrats on pre ordering both.

See, if we were talking about Dia Atlas, Sonic Bomber and Roadfire, then I'd agree with you.

What makes you say that, out of curiosity? I don't see much difference. Big Powered is a big brick that turns into a brick made up of smaller bricks that turn into bricks (ok, Sonic Bomber actually does look like a passable jet), same as Victory Leo. Nothing about their any of their combined or component designs is particularly appealing to me.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I have an easier time believing that Rumble and Frenzy's names got mixed up on the packaging than Soundwave was calling one of the main cast of Decepticons the wrong name for three seasons. FIBRIR for life.

Also, Rumble's toy was red, therefore rumble is red. Clearly it was just weird lighting and shadows in the show making him look purple/blue.

Yeah, and this is Mazinger Z...

:touche:

post-263-0-62986300-1410233640.jpg

What makes you say that, out of curiosity? I don't see much difference. Big Powered is a big brick that turns into a brick made up of smaller bricks that turn into bricks (ok, Sonic Bomber actually does look like a passable jet), same as Victory Leo. Nothing about their any of their combined or component designs is particularly appealing to me.

drill tanks mostly.

actually, I'd rather see Return of Convoy toys over anything else Japanese G1, but the zone guy's combined so it seemed more appropriate.

Edited by anime52k8

Yeah, It reminds me of that too. Kind of a bleed over into SOC/SRC super robot territory ... obviously since it's japanese.

Idk, as I've said before, it's a bulky space shuttle, (with nods to Genesis climber) with a jet ( thats the size of a autobot car) and then all the fun of a powermaster/headmaster slight combiner. (Transformer G1 elements)

So much to love here in terms of display, transformation, and fun. For $150 bucks it's the most intericate MP yet, but designed by a guy who is in love with the original.

I love the idea of that much cross pollination. I love SOC/SRC and super robots and obviously victory has that style bleeding into the Transformers world. It's a win/win.

I really hope they do an all white box like the original to set it apart from the G1's. I think this guy, with Leo would be about the size of an MP combiner, assuming the MP cars would be the default combiner limb size. So that scale is doable.

r_starsaber001.jpg

Edited by Gakken85

I got the MP-09 Rodimus with no box version from TF-Direct. I took some pics right after i de-bubble wrapped this guy. I haven't even transformed him yet except slightly transforming completely to robot mode since he was shipped in a half transformed state. I took some crappy iphone pics.

IMG 3134

Basically looks good.

IMG 3139

The seam on the chest seems worse than the used hasbro one i have.

IMG 3137

The exhaust piece on the right hand doesn't seem to peg in. No problems on the left arm.

IMG 3136

The backpack seems to click in better than my hasbro one.

IMG 3138

There's something funky with the ankles. Can't seem to get them to match. I'll see if this is a problem after i properly transform him to car and back.

IMG 3140

I can't get the right leg panel to click in.

IMG 3135

Overall I'm glad i got him mainly because i wasn't going to buy him at the crazy prices they want for the official release. The Takara colors are better than the Hasbro colors in my book. Hot Rod/Rodimus was one of my favourite characters from my childhood. I was lucky enough to see the movie in the theatre back when it was first released. Ever since then I've wanted a decent toy which is why i can see through the faults of this toy. If your not a fan you probably won't be as forgiving.
Edited by Sandman

Not even going to pretend like I understood most of what was discussed over the past few posts with regard to the Japanese Transformer series or even the color of Rumble or Frenzy, but I will say that Space Brick Saber Gundam is up for pre-order on AmiAmi, along with Exhaust (damn, why are Transformer names so lazy??? :blink:).

http://slist.amiami.com/top/search/list?s_seriestitle=Transformers+Masterpiece&pagemax=20

-b.