The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

7 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

1021619734_FirstLookatTransformersKingdomKD-12RodimusPrime(1)__scaled_800.thumb.jpg.38abf32d785c8c09295111d87c7dc1b2.jpg

Where's the trailer?

Grimlock: He didn't have a sword in the movie, so he gets no sword. Who cares if it is an iconic part of the character?

Hot Rod: Yeah, this guy definitely needs a sword. Better make it a fancy two-piece one.

On 3/2/2021 at 12:53 PM, mikeszekely said:

Well, he came... a whopping two days before I'd have got him from Amazon.  I'm so glad my impulse control couldn't have held on just a little longer... anyway, it's Studio Series 86 Leader-class Grimlock.

IMG_20210301_180829.thumb.jpg.2235ef56d5e008d3d60e60ec823a4c21.jpg

Very nice review. I'm just waiting to collect mine from a lcs. I read somewhere the smoked clear chest can be removed as it's attached via screws. I'll try it on mine when I get it.

8 hours ago, Mechapilot77 said:

totally forgot i ever saw that happen

That particular screenshot is from "The Face of Nijika".  About 13 minutes in Rodimus gets knocked off a cliff in alt mode.  He transforms into robot mode, and his trailer shoots off to who-knows-where.  At the bottom he turns into a car, and the trailer rolls up to attach to it.  The screenshot is just before the trailer attaches.

2 hours ago, Hikuro said:

I'm wondering if he gets a sword as some kind of a nod to him in the Regeneration One series, just missing his shield. 

Could be, but the hilts look different.

On that note, Regeneration One was a worse continuation of Marvel G1 than Generation 2 was.

Side note, avoid TFW for awhile.  It's a ****show right now, with some people insisting that Rodimus is a repaint of SS86 Hot Rod (despite the clear differences) and therefore the same size, and while others are acknowledging that Rodimus will be the same size as Optimus half of those are complaining that a Voyager-class figure with a ton of accessories* and a trailer are some kind of rip off at the Commander-class and are insisting that they'll just buy the definitely-not-in-scale PotP Leader Rodimus instead.

*Not at all confirmed, but in addition to the sword and rifle seen in the leaked image I'm hearing that yes he will have the trailer, with the G1 battle platform gimmick and not just a mostly-empty box like Optimus' trailer, plus I'm also hearing he'll either have a Matrix or his chest will have storage for Optimus/Hot Rod's, he's going to have some more blast effect parts, and a fishing pole for SS86 Hot Rod.

On 3/3/2021 at 8:49 PM, mikeszekely said:

That particular screenshot is from "The Face of Nijika".  About 13 minutes in Rodimus gets knocked off a cliff in alt mode.  He transforms into robot mode, and his trailer shoots off to who-knows-where.  At the bottom he turns into a car, and the trailer rolls up to attach to it.  The screenshot is just before the trailer attaches.

Could be, but the hilts look different.

On that note, Regeneration One was a worse continuation of Marvel G1 than Generation 2 was.

Side note, avoid TFW for awhile.  It's a ****show right now, with some people insisting that Rodimus is a repaint of SS86 Hot Rod (despite the clear differences) and therefore the same size, and while others are acknowledging that Rodimus will be the same size as Optimus half of those are complaining that a Voyager-class figure with a ton of accessories* and a trailer are some kind of rip off at the Commander-class and are insisting that they'll just buy the definitely-not-in-scale PotP Leader Rodimus instead.

*Not at all confirmed, but in addition to the sword and rifle seen in the leaked image I'm hearing that yes he will have the trailer, with the G1 battle platform gimmick and not just a mostly-empty box like Optimus' trailer, plus I'm also hearing he'll either have a Matrix or his chest will have storage for Optimus/Hot Rod's, he's going to have some more blast effect parts, and a fishing pole for SS86 Hot Rod.

I generally avoid the TFW boards anyway, as no matter the topic, the conversation quickly devolves into abysmal depths of negativity and bad behavior.  I'm pretty sure they have mods, but it seems like they're on smoke break 99% of the time, or just don't care. Anyway, as much as I like collecting Transformers, and as much as some are disappointing, at the end of the day, they're just toys, and not worth getting worked up into a foaming frenzy, or lashing out at others. As long as all of us G1 aged guys are still around and supporting the franchise, Has/Tak are gonna keep making G1, so if a fig today fails to live up to expectations, eventually they'll make another version, especially if it's a main character. I don't get the vitriol, or the jumping to conclusions over a leaked photo of a preliminary figure, or any figure for that matter. The only justification for rage of that intensity to me would be a very high dollar MP or something like HasLab Unicron, having a plethora of QC issues right out of the box., especially any factors that inhibit functionality. If you're plunking down $200 or more for anything, it better meet expectations as advertised. Just my  2 cents.

Anyway, although there's no hard confirmation, given the overall quality of the WFC line so far, not to mention how well done this last Hot Rod turned out, I have little doubt we'll see that continue with a Rodimus figure, including all the elements that are salient to the character. If they are indeed operating on a commander class budget, or even leader, I think that would certainly be adequate towards realizing a fairly definitive toy, within the limitations of mass retail production.  Honestly, although it fills out and completes the vehicle mode, much like Prime's trailer, realistically, I'll likely have about as much use for Rodimus' rolling gun platform as I do for Prime's rolling repair bay.  But, both trailers are essential to the characters, so it's still nice to have them and have them open up and do what they do.

Got my Kingdom Grimlock, and he is indeed a beefy fellow. I see some folks complaining about his stumpy tail, and though it doesn't really bother me, especially after the  PotP and Fall of Cybertron Grimlock figs, I'll concede that it would have been cool had they done the matryoshka doll treatment with his tail similar to how Cyclonus' nose unfurls. They didn't though, and that's ok, because they pretty much got everything else right in both modes, dark transparent chest piece notwithstanding. Given his leader class size, I wish that he'd had opening hands, as I think, at this point in the line's evolution, everything voyager and up should have them as a standard, and those deluxes who need them for one reason or another should have them as well. I would have also liked his dino neck  to have the mechanical elements in the center covered by clear plastic like the G1 toys, and like the box art depicts. That would have been better than Wheelie.<_<

If anyone still needs the Amazon Barricade & Punch/Counterpunch pack it's in stock at Pulse. (Not sure if you have to be a premium member or not).

EDIT: X-Pants, too.

Edited by mikeszekely

I think it wasn't supposed to be revealed until tomorrow, but the cat's out of the bag.

1326297651_TransformersKingdomRodimusPrimeOfficialwithTrailerRevealed(1)__scaled_600.thumb.jpg.4655a2ed9621c757c914c33190b61987.jpg1806612959_TransformersKingdomRodimusPrimeOfficialwithTrailerRevealed(2)__scaled_600.thumb.jpg.10ef82e28477af94922d1fb5af251924.jpg

2101047673_TransformersKingdomRodimusPrimeOfficialwithTrailerRevealed(3)__scaled_600.thumb.jpg.f7835ad9c716e587ff9673a1b5871a86.jpg1928533287_TransformersKingdomRodimusPrimeOfficialwithTrailerRevealed(5)__scaled_600.thumb.jpg.79f9eaa4c0423f37521ea76c909c8afd.jpg

2117561446_TransformersKingdomRodimusPrimeOfficialwithTrailerRevealed(4)__scaled_600.thumb.jpg.5cdcc49b54cfcd37d6e57f896e38520d.jpg

I have mixed feelings.  On the one hand, I love that we're getting an in-scale Rodimus Prime.  I love that he's got the battle platform trailer and the space winnebago mode.  I like that he turns into a car that docks with the trailer, as opposed to turning into a cab with legs.  I like that the car is visually distinct, and not necessarily trying to pull a Hot Rod and Rodimus like PotP and the MP.  The pipes on his arms are a little long, but I think the robot mode looks pretty great, with an older face and broader chest that doesn't simply look like a taller Hot Rod.

On the other hand, the engineering for the car looks extremely similar to SS86.  You can see that his arms are going to flip the same, his backpack will be bigger and cover more of his legs but it's going to unfold the same, the pipes on his arms are going to rotate the same, and the rest of the pipes rear wheels are stored in his calves the same.  I'd venture that the bits of the front end that cover the silver spots on his shoulders fold out of his torso the same.  The big difference seems to be that the hood is his actual chest this time.  Now, that's fine on the one hand; Hot Rod has some fun engineering and looks great in both modes.  But, I'm concerned that Rodimus will have the same shoulder articulation issues.

Then there's the alt mode.  The front of the cab looks great.  The trailer looks great.  But dear Primus I wish they could have shoved the car in further, because the middle of the cab is way too long.

Still, the whole thing looks like a big improvement over PotP Rodimus, and overall I'm really looking forward to getting this guy in hand.  Takara's release date is August first for 14,300 Yen.  If the patter follows with Sky Lynx and Jetfire we'll probably get him in May in the US, but no price or preorder has been announced here yet.

EDIT: It's listed as coming with Rodimus, the trailer, his gun, his sword, the Matrix, a battery, and 10 effects parts.  Not clear on the battery; if they mean that battery like a power cell, and something lights up, or battery like a heavy gun emplacement, and they're referring to the trailer's big guns (which seem to have molded treads and looks like detaches from the trailer).

Sorry, the rumored fishing pole doesn't look likely.

Edited by mikeszekely

20 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

I think it wasn't supposed to be revealed until tomorrow, but the cat's out of the bag.

1326297651_TransformersKingdomRodimusPrimeOfficialwithTrailerRevealed(1)__scaled_600.thumb.jpg.4655a2ed9621c757c914c33190b61987.jpg1806612959_TransformersKingdomRodimusPrimeOfficialwithTrailerRevealed(2)__scaled_600.thumb.jpg.10ef82e28477af94922d1fb5af251924.jpg

2101047673_TransformersKingdomRodimusPrimeOfficialwithTrailerRevealed(3)__scaled_600.thumb.jpg.f7835ad9c716e587ff9673a1b5871a86.jpg1928533287_TransformersKingdomRodimusPrimeOfficialwithTrailerRevealed(5)__scaled_600.thumb.jpg.79f9eaa4c0423f37521ea76c909c8afd.jpg

2117561446_TransformersKingdomRodimusPrimeOfficialwithTrailerRevealed(4)__scaled_600.thumb.jpg.5cdcc49b54cfcd37d6e57f896e38520d.jpg

I have mixed feelings.  On the one hand, I love that we're getting an in-scale Rodimus Prime.  I love that he's got the battle platform trailer and the space winnebago mode.  I like that he turns into a car that docks with the trailer, as opposed to turning into a cab with legs.  I like that the car is visually distinct, and not necessarily trying to pull a Hot Rod and Rodimus like PotP and the MP.  The pipes on his arms are a little long, but I think the robot mode looks pretty great, with an older face and broader chest that doesn't simply look like a taller Hot Rod.

On the other hand, the engineering for the car looks extremely similar to SS86.  You can see that his arms are going to flip the same, his backpack will be bigger and cover more of his legs but it's going to unfold the same, the pipes on his arms are going to rotate the same, and the rest of the pipes rear wheels are stored in his calves the same.  I'd venture that the bits of the front end that cover the silver spots on his shoulders fold out of his torso the same.  The big difference seems to be that the hood is his actual chest this time.  Now, that's fine on the one hand; Hot Rod has some fun engineering and looks great in both modes.  But, I'm concerned that Rodimus will have the same shoulder articulation issues.

Then there's the alt mode.  The front of the cab looks great.  The trailer looks great.  But dear Primus I wish they could have shoved the car in further, because the middle of the cab is way too long.

Still, the whole thing looks like a big improvement over PotP Rodimus, and overall I'm really looking forward to getting this guy in hand.  Takara's release date is August first for 14,300 Yen.  If the patter follows with Sky Lynx and Jetfire we'll probably get him in May in the US, but no price or preorder has been announced here yet.

EDIT: It's listed as coming with Rodimus, the trailer, his gun, his sword, the Matrix, a battery, and 10 effects parts.  Not clear on the battery; if they mean that battery like a power cell, and something lights up, or battery like a heavy gun emplacement, and they're referring to the trailer's big guns (which seem to have molded treads and looks like detaches from the trailer).

Sorry, the rumored fishing pole doesn't look likely.

I don’t understand why Rodimus is a Commander Class toy when Optimus Prime is a Leader Class and comes with a trailer. Is he taller (i.e. out of scale) than Optimus?

I would have expected that for the Commander price point he comes with a core Hot Rod, that can armor up to become Rodimus and that has the trailer.

As is I don’t see how this fits the price point. Especially when you look at the pictures in isolation.

Edited by Scyla

1 hour ago, Scyla said:

I don’t understand why Rodimus is a Commander Class toy when Optimus Prime is a Leader Class and comes with a trailer. Is he taller (i.e. out of scale) than Optimus?

I would have expected that for the Commander price point he comes with a core Hot Rod, that can armor up to become Rodimus and that has the trailer.

As is I don’t see how this fits the price point. Especially when you look at the pictures in isolation.

Mostly parts count. Prime was a typical Voyager-sized figure with a gun, a matrix, and a mostly-empty trailer. Rodimus should be about the same size, but he looks like he's based on SS86 Hot Rod, a Deluxe-sized you that was already at the Voyager price due to more advanced engineering and higher parts count than normal. Then he's got his gun and matrix, but what looks like a bigger and more complex trainer with more paint apps that's full of that double-barrel gun, a sword, and I'm hearing 10(!) effects parts. Is that enough to justify a $30+ price increase over Optimus? I guess that's going to be subjective. But I'm in; after you tally in how much I spent on upgrade kits to paint, sticker, and add parts to Optimus' trailer just to bring it up to the same level of quality as the G1 toy Rodimus will actually be cheaper, and I'm betting his box will contain a lot more plastic.

There is a rumor going around that there may be an alternate way to attach Rodimus' trailer so the cab isn't stupid long, but we're not sure where the rumor started and it's likely untrue.

I'm also being told from a more credible source that the effects parts will include the rifle blast, a matrix glow that's different from SS Hot Rod's, two that go on the car/arm pipes that may or may not be like SS Hot Rod's, and a big effect part or two like Jetfire's or Sky Lynx's that can be used with the trailer's guns or blasts from the back of the trailer in alt mode. The big gun in the trailer is indeed removable, and can also be attached to the top of the trailer.

OK, I think this everything left to be released in Kingdom this year that hasn't been officially revealed.  Could be some previously-released figures coming in later waves, since not all the slots are full.  Note that all I was told was Wheeljack and Starscream, I don't know if they're going to be new versions (like the rumored coronation Starscream) or just the Earthrise versions repackaged in Kingdom like Prime and Arcee.  It's also likely that I'm missing some store exclusives; Walmart has a page up announcing that they're going to have new Transformers up for preorder on March 15th at 1:00pm EDT, and it's expected to be the third wave of Netflix WfC figures.

Wave 3

Soundwave (core)
Dracodon (core)
Tracks (Deluxe)
Wingfinger (Fossilizer, Deluxe)
Scorponok (Deluxe)
Wheeljack (Deluxe, ER in Kingdom packaging)
Rhinox (Voyager)
Galvatron (Leader)
Rodimus Prime (Commander)
Ark (real name unknown, Titan)

Wave 4

Waspinator (Deluxe)
Pipes (Deluxe)
Shadow Panther (Deluxe)
Slammer (Deluxe)
Tigatron (Voyager)
Starscream (Voyager)

Generations Selects

Artfire (Voyager)
Galvatron (Toy colors, Leader)

Not sure what's all still coming for Studio Series, but I'm hearing Leader-Class Grindor for the regular SS stuff, and Slag, Wreck-Gar, and maybe Sweep in SS86.

17 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

There is a rumor going around that there may be an alternate way to attach Rodimus' trailer so the cab isn't stupid long, but we're not sure where the rumor started and it's likely untrue.

I'm also being told from a more credible source that the effects parts will include the rifle blast, a matrix glow that's different from SS Hot Rod's, two that go on the car/arm pipes that may or may not be like SS Hot Rod's, and a big effect part or two like Jetfire's or Sky Lynx's that can be used with the trailer's guns or blasts from the back of the trailer in alt mode. The big gun in the trailer is indeed removable, and can also be attached to the top of the trailer.

Looking at the stock pics, there's physically nowhere for the spoiler to go, and if there was a way to push it in further, then why wouldn't they do it as a final version? Not sure where some of these rumors arise, but they're built on wishes rather than substance. I wish the cab pushed in further, too, but I'm a realist, and I've been collecting these things long enough to know that Has/Tak often make compromises for one reason or another that affect accuracy, aesthetics, etc. While the WFC line has proven to be a really good line overall, it's not immune, and Rodimus' combined alt mode appears to be another concession. Unfortunate, but not so egregious that I'm going to pass. The bot mode, at least, looks to be well done. It's already shaping up to be a more accurate representation than PotP Rodimus, which left somewhat to be desired. As to the Kingdom RP, I could easily live without all the accessories in lieu of a refined base toy, i.e. bringing it closer to source in vehicle mode, and perhaps a reduction of scale by one for pricing reasons. I'm not the biggest Hot Rod/Rodimus fan, so paying more for him than for Optimus, especially when Rodimus' trailer doesn't offer the same range of playabilty as OP's and the combined vehicle mode on this toy is obviously off in a few areas, doesn't please me the way ER Prime did, and still does.

Mike, any word on the expected PO availability date here in the US? I'll likely get most of mine through Pulse, as usual. They may take a little longer to get stuff out, but they've proven reliable, and I like buying straight from the source. I appreciate the list, BTW. Nice to see what's on the horizon (didn't realize the Ark was this close to release- very curious about this guy).

2 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

Mike, any word on the expected PO availability date here in the US?

I'm keeping an ear to the ground, but I haven't heard anything yet. I re-upped Pulse, just in case. I expect soon, though.

Screenshot_20210311-192953_Twitter.thumb.jpg.4fa3377833f32b0512a2bbe7c505c742.jpg

So all those 5mm peg comparisons can be put to rest.  Warden is confirming Rodimus scales with Optimus.

Also, looks like Walmart is going to be carrying some Beast Wars reissues, specifically the old Ultra-Class Primal and Megatron, Deluxe-class Cheetor, and Basic-class Rattrap.  I was kind of hoping for more G1 reissues (I really want Rodimus, Ultra Magnus, and Bruticus), but it is what it is.  What's interesting is that they seem to be the old '90s molds, but the decos appear to be all-new, cartoon-accurate ones.

Good info, Mike, thanks for sharing. Y'know, for their time, the original BW toys were pretty good. With all new figs coming out in the Kingdom line, I'm feeling pretty satisfied on the BW front, but for the folks that would like an opportunity to pick up a few of those old toys, I'm glad that Hasbro's rereleasing them, especially with toon accurate decos (which we didn't get back in the day). As for Rodimus, good to hear that he's scaling properly with OP, as he should. Doesn't fix the crappy fit of his car/trailer combo, though.<_<

I was thinking of just skipping the Pulse Premium membership, but with Kingdom and the SS86 carrying on, I went ahead and renewed mine too. 

Speaking of SS86, I got Kup, Blurr, and Jazz today. Kup surprised me with his complexity. All three feel like solid figs. I still wish they'd found a better solution for Jazz's clodhoppers hanging out the back of his car mode, but the rest of the car looks good, if a little devoid of deco. I'll probably get the Toyhax set to spruce him up a bit.

With all new figs coming out in the Kingdom line, I'm feeling pretty satisfied on the BW front, but for the folks that would like an opportunity to pick up a few of those old toys, I'm glad that Hasbro's rereleasing them, especially with toon accurate decos (which we didn't get back in the day).

I have mixed feelings, but I wasn't into Beast Wars back in the day so maybe I'm not the target audience.  But I'm kind of thinking that Kingdom has you covered for well made, well-articulated, cartoon-accurate Beast Wars characters, right?  The main reason to go for the reissues is because you had them as a kid.  But if it's that nostalgia driving you, wouldn't you want them to be just like when you were a kid?  Like suppose I did get my wish for a G1 Bruticus reissue, but they ditched Vortex's magenta torso, Onslaught's black head, and Bruticus' silver chest armor for more cartoon-accurate colors.  It wouldn't appeal to me nearly as much as a straight reissue.

As for Rodimus, good to hear that he's scaling properly with OP, as he should. Doesn't fix the crappy fit of his car/trailer combo, though.<_<

I was thinking about that...

12 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

Looking at the stock pics, there's physically nowhere for the spoiler to go

This is true, but we don't know much room there might be for the legs.  That said, it looks like Rodimus will have a similar transformation with Hot Rod, and that the spoiler is on a panel that covers his legs in alt mode rotates and folds onto his back for bot mode.  Suppose the spoiler itself can actually rotate.  Then you might be able to partially transform then panel its on to a robot-mode position, then turn the spoiler 180 degrees.  This would allow the spoiler to sit in the same obvious slots on the trailer, but allow the cab to tuck in more.

and if there was a way to push it in further, then why wouldn't they do it as a final version?

Promo and test shots are frequently mistransformed.

Not sure where some of these rumors arise, but they're built on wishes rather than substance. I wish the cab pushed in further, too, but I'm a realist, and I've been collecting these things long enough to know that Has/Tak often make compromises for one reason or another that affect accuracy, aesthetics, etc. While the WFC line has proven to be a really good line overall, it's not immune, and Rodimus' combined alt mode appears to be another concession.

My theory about how it might/could work aside, I agree.  I'm thinking that what you see is what you get.

Unfortunate, but not so egregious that I'm going to pass.

Yeah.  It's funny, because when I was a kid I thought Hot Rod was cool in the movie with an awesome alt mode, but I hated Rodimus for replacing Optimus and swapping the sports car for a camper.  As an adult, though, I find Hot Rod's cocksure recklessness less-than endearing and blame him for getting Optimus killed, but I find Rodimus to be a more self-reflective character and I'm actually a sucker for that space Winnebago.  I bought PotP Rodimus because I want to reward Hasbro every time they give me an actual Rodimus Prime instead of yet another Hot Rod.  I'll be preordering this one as soon as it's available.  I think the only other figures I'm anticipating as much are Slag and Galvatron.  I expect Slag will be big, simple, chonky goodness like Grimlock, but I wonder now about Galvatron.  Kup, Blurr, Cyclonus, and Scourge came out excellent.  Hot Rod's pretty good, too, minus the shoulders issues.  Springer's good but a bit more compromised, and that's where Rodimus looks like he's going to fit.  Then Ultra Magnus and Arcee are not the best WfC releases.  Where's Galvatron going to land?

Managed to get the last Inferno at Walmart today; almost missed him, hidden down low at ankle height.  Other than a mix of Netflix, Kingdom was 2 Warpaths and a BW; SS86 was Blur.  

Don't have a Grapple yet, but that is now going to change.   

12 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

I have mixed feelings, but I wasn't into Beast Wars back in the day so maybe I'm not the target audience.  But I'm kind of thinking that Kingdom has you covered for well made, well-articulated, cartoon-accurate Beast Wars characters, right?  The main reason to go for the reissues is because you had them as a kid.  But if it's that nostalgia driving you, wouldn't you want them to be just like when you were a kid?  Like suppose I did get my wish for a G1 Bruticus reissue, but they ditched Vortex's magenta torso, Onslaught's black head, and Bruticus' silver chest armor for more cartoon-accurate colors.  It wouldn't appeal to me nearly as much as a straight reissue.

Initially, like most kids who grew up with G1, I was a little skeptical about organic beast modes rather than mechanical alts. mechanical animal forms would have appealed to me more, like the Dinobots, Insecticons, etc. I was a big fan of Zoids toys, so had they gone that direction design-wise, I'd have been fully onboard from the onset. I can't remember now if I encountered the toys first or saw the show, but I'm leaning towards the toys. My first BW toy was Polar Claw. In fact, yeah, it's coming back to me now. I picked him up before seeing the show, and I was intrigued by the polar bear alt, and really intrigued once I got to messing around with him and discovering all these play features, not to mention ARTICULATION! After the first two seasons of G1, I kinda slowed down on collecting the toys, as the show no longer appealed to me, and the toys were moving further away from realistic alt modes, which was the major factor that appealed to me from the beginning. So from the late 80s into the mid-90s, I did very little TF collecting, and my lasting impression was of those old nigh immobile bricks from the 80s.  I remember picking up a small jetformer with ball jointed limbs sometime in the 90s and thinking it a revelation. Moving on into Beast Wars, these were much more complex toys with excellent articulation by the standard I had grown up with.  Still I didn't buy many of the original cast figs- in fact, I think I only have Megatron and Primal, but both of those toys were impressive for the time. Heck, Primal is still impressive for all the gimmicks they managed to cram into him.:wub: Once the line moved into BW: Metals, with robotic animal alts, I started buying a bunch of figs, and that continued all the way into Beast Machines, whose design aesthetic I really dig to this day. 

The point of this whole diatribe, beyond deep diving into happy nostalgia, is to say that I wasn't honestly very impressed with the majority of that first wave of core BW figs, i.e. the show character figs, so I owned few of them. I think I own more non-show figs from that time. Time has not been kind to those toys, IMHO, so my desire to pick them up after all these years has, if anything, evaporated altogether, especially when the Kingdom and MP figs are arguably better. That said, there is certainly a case to be made for the draw of nostalgia and a desire to own the things of our past, especially childhood. To that end, as I said, I'm happy that Hasbro's rereleasing these figs again. I also get the argument for keeping them the same as original. It's all about preserving happier, more innocent times and keeping faithful to what appealed to us then.

13 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Promo and test shots are frequently mistransformed.

That is an absolute fact, especially in the Hasbro universe.:lol: however, in this case, I'm not so certain.:unknw:

My theory about how it might/could work aside, I agree.  I'm thinking that what you see is what you get.

Yep.-_-

IYeah.  It's funny, because when I was a kid I thought Hot Rod was cool in the movie with an awesome alt mode, but I hated Rodimus for replacing Optimus and swapping the sports car for a camper.  As an adult, though, I find Hot Rod's cocksure recklessness less-than endearing and blame him for getting Optimus killed, but I find Rodimus to be a more self-reflective character and I'm actually a sucker for that space Winnebago.  I bought PotP Rodimus because I want to reward Hasbro every time they give me an actual Rodimus Prime instead of yet another Hot Rod.  I'll be preordering this one as soon as it's available.  I think the only other figures I'm anticipating as much are Slag and Galvatron.  I expect Slag will be big, simple, chonky goodness like Grimlock, but I wonder now about Galvatron.  Kup, Blurr, Cyclonus, and Scourge came out excellent.  Hot Rod's pretty good, too, minus the shoulders issues.  Springer's good but a bit more compromised, and that's where Rodimus looks like he's going to fit.  Then Ultra Magnus and Arcee are not the best WfC releases.  Where's Galvatron going to land?

Hot Rod/Rodimus just didn't really grab me as a character in the Movie. I liked his alt mode, but the character didn't make much of an impression. And then his interference gave Megatron the opening he needed to finish off Prime. Even the Winnebago mode seemed a serious coolness downgrade from a tractor-trailer, which still holds a lot more appeal to me than an odd looking camper van.  That said, I like Transformers, and transforming mecha in general, and the importance of HR/RP to the story  of Transformers is canon, so I've come to embrace the character from that POV. I've skipped all the MP versions of HR/RP, but I have the Classics, the PotP, and SS86 Hot Rod, who, IMHO, is the best official version of the character made to date. Kingdom Rodimus , aforementioned flaws aside, is shaping up to be the best RP fig made to date, and I'll be adding him to my collection. I hope your theory about the rotating panel proves true, and that his car form can squeeze into the trailer a bit further, but at this point, I doubt it.  That bot mode looks incredible, though, and as that's my preferred mode for display, I'm not getting too plussed about his stretched camper look.

Oh, how I long for Slag and the other Dinos, especially if Kingdom Grimlock is the standard.:wub: We've waited a long, long time for the Dinobots to get proper updates in the main line, and it makes me so happy that  Grimlock turned out so well. It definitely gives hope for the rest.  One hundred percent agree about Kup, Blurr, Cyclonus, and Scourge.  All very well done. Also agree about HR's shoulders- it's the one glaring flaw of an otherwise excellent toy. 

Galvatron is a tough nut, I think. I have the original toy, and there was some serious massaging of his design from toy to toon, which makes him an unenviable challenge for toy makers. Galvy benefitted from a lot of toon magic as well, so, again, it's just another level of difficulty for translation into a functional accurate three dimensional form. I applaud the many third party companies who've tackled it and emerged with decent representations. Heck, I even like the Titans Return version, even with all its compromises. But, it's hardly a  G1 accurate attempt, so it remains to be seen what level of ingenuity HasTak bring to the table with what I'm assuming will be another entry in the SS86 line. Like RP, Galvatron never made as strong an impression on me as Megatron, both from a character and alt mode perspective. I vehemently despised his portrayal in the cartoon, and I didn't particularly like Frank Welker's voice for him either. (Sorry Frank, still love ya, man.)  But, like Rodimus, he's part of the story now, so I've come to embrace him as such, and like all the G1 figs that are getting updates of late, I wish Hasbro and Takara-Tomy the very best success at creating a solid accurate toy that's fun, satisfying and wows us a little with its ingenuity.

So Unicron is basically the same engineering as the original Leader Movie Jetfire?  (I actually did try to separate the two, and if not for one pin/part on the upper spine that was IMPOSSIBLE to remove, I could have had a separate robot, and SR-71 toys...)   

For $600, I wish Takara would have employed more actual engineering to Unicron, like Zeta did, rather than just throwing their hands up and making it one big panel-former with naught but the arms as part of the planet mode.  <_< I bought one, but if I'm being honest, I prefer Zeta's approach far more.

A little something to brighten your day- a pretty good looking bunch, methinks, although there are a couple in there who are begging for a WFC style makeover.^_^

100_4940.thumb.JPG.9bf3340bbc4fb67004b037d895879fb5.JPG100_4942.thumb.JPG.9e9bafa9f40d976e6f7ee6bdbfd97695.JPG

My cinematographer, KC, taking a break between shots.

100_4944.thumb.JPG.a96e32ed4a3c1dd2dcf54bb55f87d4c9.JPG

No promises, but I'm hearing rumblings of a Transformers-themed Fan First Friday being scheduled for April 9th.  I'm hearing rumblings that there will be something new announced.  Unclear if that means new like Hasbro hasn't announced it or new like no one's announced it yet.  I'd bet that's when preorders will open for Rodimus, but I'm crossing my fingers and hoping it's the unveiling of the whole third Kingdom Wave, or at the very least Galvatron.  Maybe some more Studio Series 86 figures, if we're lucky- I'm down for more Dinobots, and I'm really curious to see how Sweep is different than Scourge.

Some new reveals would be nice, as well as some new preorders opening.

I doubt much will change with Sweep; maybe the face sculpt or some paint apps. Y'know it's going to be a very inexpensive change, if indeed they change anything.

Walmart and Pulse put up pre-orders for the Beast Wars reissues and some third wave Netflix stuff (no Deluxes). The Netflix stuff is already sold out at Pulse, though. I ordered the sparkless seeker at Walmart, passed on Primal and the spoiler pack (which I'm told is Siege Megatron and a purple Paleotrex).

Edited by mikeszekely

11 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

No promises, but I'm hearing rumblings of a Transformers-themed Fan First Friday being scheduled for April 9th.  I'm hearing rumblings that there will be something new announced.  Unclear if that means new like Hasbro hasn't announced it or new like no one's announced it yet.  I'd bet that's when preorders will open for Rodimus, but I'm crossing my fingers and hoping it's the unveiling of the whole third Kingdom Wave, or at the very least Galvatron.  Maybe some more Studio Series 86 figures, if we're lucky- I'm down for more Dinobots, and I'm really curious to see how Sweep is different than Scourge.

792268730_HasbroPulseFanFestComingApril9th-TransformersNewsandReveals!__scaled_600.thumb.jpg.b070a34131017ebe9d24b745c412caa1.jpg

Well there you go.

Officially, it starts at 11:00 am ET. It covers more than Transformers, though, and I don't know when exactly the Transformers panel will be. Pulse premium members will have access to preorders as they're announced during the panel, then to everyone at 5:00 pm ET. There will also be something just for Pulse premium members at 4:00 pm the day before. Hasbro's presser mentions Kingdom wave 3, Netflix, and the Ark. Unofficially, I'm hearing yes to Rodimus and Galvatron, possibly some Gen Selects including some Shattered Glass stuff, but no new Studio Series announcements.

First look at Leader Class Galvatron: Kingdom-Galvatron-1.jpg

Not feeling the head sculpt and if he is Voyager size I don’t know where the Leader price point comes from. However he looks so much better than TR Galvatron so I’m in. Only need Earthrise Nemesis Prime and War for Cybertron gave me everything I wished for.

Images courtesy of TFW2005 (https://news.tfw2005.com/2021/03/16/transformers-kingdom-galvatron-first-look-430089)

image.jpeg

Edited by Scyla

Doesn't seem like the slam dunk that Cyclonus and Scourge were.  I really hope something's mis-transformed there, but because the long legs, short torso, low shoulders, and gorilla arms aren't doing it for me.  I hate that they brought back the Siege dirt, too, and I think that the purple could be bluer (but that last one's kind of a nitpick).  But, it's still the best Gavlatron Hasbro's done.  I guess I'm in for both the Kingdom one and the Gen Selects repaint.

2 hours ago, Scyla said:

if he is Voyager size I don’t know where the Leader price point comes from.

Aside from those two big Revenge-shaped guns (that look like they might tab together somehow), I hear he's coming with more accessories like a Matrix and a chain to wear it with.  He may also have more advanced engineering and a higher parts count, like Hot Rod.  I'm curious to see if the alt mode pulls off the whole purple-torso-to-gray-cannon switch.

Galvy's just not radiating the same level of refinement as many of the other figs in this line. Just from this pic alone, I think I prefer my TR Galvatron.

I hope the Ark is part of the reveal on the 8th or 9th. Very curious to see how it looks. If it turns out well, and I'm already liking the artwork from the Kingdom poster, then he'll be my first Titan figure. It's probably wishful thinking, but I hope he has some playable interior that'll accommodate legends or micromaster scaled figs. More likely though, he'll come with more useless nonposeable slug figs.:bad: 

I have more questions with the bot mode reveal. What is going on with Galvatron's shoulder pylons? Why are they folded down? For that matter, what is up with that look? I was expecting Galvatron's face to emote a more dastardly look than Megatron's, but he's coming across as completely neutral. He doesn't even look smug like he did when he revealed himself in the Netflix series.

I guess it's neither here nor there, but for me it seems like a missed opportunity to give the toy added dimension and character. 

The weathering effects...I guess they could be worse...yeah, I'm not a fan either.

Mm. I'm still not convinced on this one. The alt mode could win me over. Then again, I may just wait for the Selects repaint.