The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

5 hours ago, Jeremy007 said:

Mp-52 isn't $275. Amazon Japan and Amiami have him for $202.  Hlj has him for $230 and the most expensive I saw was $265 at bbts.

I mean, it's great that you found discounts on him already, but Takara's MSRP is ¥28,000, so a little over $265.  I'll grant you, I'm off by $10 but it's not like people are pulling these numbers out of thin air.  And as you yourself noted, those discounted prices are before shipping.  If I were to order him from somewhere like Hasbro pulse shipping is included.  You can't compare one pre-shipping price and one out-the-door price and act like we're tacking an extra $63 for the sole purpose of making MP-52 seem more expensive.

4 hours ago, Jeremy007 said:

I believe Meteor was around $170 or so. Mp-52 is available for around $200 without shipping.  That is only a $30 difference in the base price

Meteor originally retailed for $130.  But it's kind of beside the point, because I'm not saying "Starscream is too expensive, just buy Meteor instead," or "Starscream's so expensive, Meteor was so much cheaper!"  What I am saying is that I already own Meteor, so whatever MP-52 costs it isn't the price to get an MP Starscream on my shelf, it's the price to replace what I already have.  Like I said, if it were MP-03 or MP-11 on my shelf then yes, I'd go for the upgrade.  Alt mode be damned, MP-52's bot mode is so much better it's like comparing the Earthrise figure with the original G1.  But, I don't think MP-52 is a huge upgrade over Meteor; while there are things I like about MP-52 there are just as many things I like about Meteor (especially if the rumored lack of waist articulation on MP-52 turns out to be true).  So it's just not worth it to me personally to spend $265, or even $200, on what I'd generously call a lateral move.  If other people feel differently, that's fine, too.  I honestly hope that's the case for at least some people!  Stock of the Meteor mold has dried up, and I know some people who still wanted them.  If some Meteor/Lightning/Skycrow owners do trade up and sell their Maketoys figures then everyone can get the figure they want.

3 hours ago, sh9000 said:

I wish they were G1 reissues in retro packaging.

Me too.  I mean, if I see these in stores I might pick up Chromedome and Mindwipe because they come with the more G1-style heads, and Hardhead because he comes with the cartoon-style mask-less face (skipping Brainstorm, because I'm not into the Headmasters-colors and I abhor the Headmasters-style mask-less face).  But if they were G1 reissues I'd definitely buy all four.  Brainstorm was my #1 favorite toy the holiday I got him as a kid.

29 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

I mean, it's great that you found discounts on him already, but Takara's MSRP is ¥28,000, so a little over $265.  I'll grant you, I'm off by $10 but it's not like people are pulling these numbers out of thin air.  And as you yourself noted, those discounted prices are before shipping.  If I were to order him from somewhere like Hasbro pulse shipping is included.  You can't compare one pre-shipping price and one out-the-door price and act like we're tacking an extra $63 for the sole purpose of making MP-52 seem more expensive.

Meteor originally retailed for $130.  But it's kind of beside the point, because I'm not saying "Starscream is too expensive, just buy Meteor instead," or "Starscream's so expensive, Meteor was so much cheaper!"  What I am saying is that I already own Meteor, so whatever MP-52 costs it isn't the price to get an MP Starscream on my shelf, it's the price to replace what I already have.  Like I said, if it were MP-03 or MP-11 on my shelf then yes, I'd go for the upgrade.  Alt mode be damned, MP-52's bot mode is so much better it's like comparing the Earthrise figure with the original G1.  But, I don't think MP-52 is a huge upgrade over Meteor; while there are things I like about MP-52 there are just as many things I like about Meteor (especially if the rumored lack of waist articulation on MP-52 turns out to be true).  So it's just not worth it to me personally to spend $265, or even $200, on what I'd generously call a lateral move.  If other people feel differently, that's fine, too.  I honestly hope that's the case for at least some people!  Stock of the Meteor mold has dried up, and I know some people who still wanted them.  If some Meteor/Lightning/Skycrow owners do trade up and sell their Maketoys figures then everyone can get the figure they want.

Me too.  I mean, if I see these in stores I might pick up Chromedome and Mindwipe because they come with the more G1-style heads, and Hardhead because he comes with the cartoon-style mask-less face (skipping Brainstorm, because I'm not into the Headmasters-colors and I abhor the Headmasters-style mask-less face).  But if they were G1 reissues I'd definitely buy all four.  Brainstorm was my #1 favorite toy the holiday I got him as a kid.

Actually, Amz-Jp's current shipping-fee for MP-52 is just their usual expensive placeholder pricing.

Actualy shipping-fees from amz-jp will be quite lower during release-day.  Possibly around 1800y to 2100y guesstimate.

3 minutes ago, treatment said:

Actually, Amz-Jp's current shipping-fee for MP-52 is just their usual expensive placeholder pricing.

Actualy shipping-fees from amz-jp will be quite lower during release-day.  Possibly around 1800y to 2100y guesstimate.

Even if you're right it doesn't really change my point- people quoting Takara's retail pricing (and pricing charged by many stores that aren't Amazon.jp or AmiAmi aren't just making numbers up, and even if I could get it for $200 out the door it doesn't change my personal opinion that I don't need to spend that money on what is, to me, an minimal upgrade.

49 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

To be fair to @Jeremy007 a number of sites with discounted prices were posted to this very thread a couple pages back. It isn't like he's referencing hard-to-find information. The only import site that I know of which is showing shipping fees right now is Amazon Japan, and those fees are still estimated below $63 US. For me, shipping is estimated at 3103JPY ($29.50 US at today's rate), but would probably be lower on release. I ordered through AmiAmi, though, and I expect their DHL price to be around 4000JPY which is still below $63. 

Anyway, this us versus them tribalism is getting tiring for me. It's also making the hobby less of a joy. People should buy what they like and refrain from dumping on other fans who like things that are a little different. I think it's great that so many MW members are passionate for the Maketoys' seekers. I hope you guys get news on the rest of the coneheads at TFcon. I also think it's great that we have MP-52. IMO, both can co-exist. :friends:

Edited by technoblue

4 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

Even if you're right it doesn't really change my point- people quoting Takara's retail pricing (and pricing charged by many stores that aren't Amazon.jp or AmiAmi aren't just making numbers up, and even if I could get it for $200 out the door it doesn't change my personal opinion that I don't need to spend that money on what is, to me, an minimal upgrade.

I don't consider MP-52 as an upgrade at all from MP-11 or even MP-3.

Far from it, really. It's got an even lousier jet-mode than the MP-11 mould for starters.

That said, MP-52 is just a different new toy iteration of the character.

1 hour ago, technoblue said:

To be fair to @Jeremy007 a number of sites with discounted prices were posted to this very thread a couple pages back. It isn't like he's referencing hard-to-find information.

But again, you can't argue "That's not the price, no one is charging that much!" and act like it's a number people made up just to make MP-52 look worse than it is when ¥28,000 is the actual price set by the manufacturer and most stores are charging that much just because Amazon and a few Japanese hobby shops are offering discounts.

Anyway, this us versus them tribalism is getting tiring for me. It's also making the hobby less of a joy.

If anything I've said has come across as tribalism I do apologize, although I think I've been pretty fair to MP-52 and have even defended it as having a greatly improved robot mode against the naysayers who seem focused on the alt mode.

People should buy what they like and refrain from dumping on other fans who like things that are a little different. I think it's great that so many MW members are passionate for the Maketoys' seekers. I hope you guys get news on the rest of the coneheads at TFcon. I also think it's great that we have MP-52. IMO, both can co-exist. :friends:

Wholeheartedly agree.

The passions that these toys evoke, as well as the division, is just fascinating. I'm also of the opinion that having the options is the best possible situation, as it helps satisfy nearly everyone's tastes. I wish there were even more toys available, but as it is, we're spoiled for choice.

I find Treatment's view interesting, as well, and I sympathize to a point. I think there was a far better balance between modes with MP-03/11, but it didn't carry over the exactingly faithful cartoon look  in bot mode that the majority of fans, myself included, like. To that end, the Maketoys appeals to me over MP-52 for achieving a better balance between fighter and bot modes while still presenting a rather faithful representation of the toon model in bot mode. I still wish the fighter mode was better, but it's ok, and more accurate than MP- 52's fighter mode. But for those that are all in on MP-52, I hope it turns out to be a good figure, and I also hope those same folks will sell off their Maketoys figs relatively cheaply for folks like myself that find it the more appealing option.

As for the Wally exclusive Headmaster repaints in retro packaging, I like touches like that. I still think the 80's TF packaging was some of the most striking of any toy line that has come since. It definitely caught the eye and stirred the imagination, as well as showcased some beautiful artwork all around. Gushing aside, out of the group, Brainstorm is the one that I missed when TR was out, and I'm hoping to pick him up this time around. As for those who desire the G1 toys, the appeal of those toys is absolutely lost on me, aside from perhaps a wee smidge of nostalgia. I thought the G1 toys were crap back in the 80's, especially when that box art, as well as the cartoon, sold me on the notion of articulated figures. Articulation has always been important to me, so the idea of going back to those old bricks as opposed to the more complex and articulated figs of today is anathema. That said, folks like what they like, and for the folks that like the G1 toys, I hope Hasbro continues to release them. I'm one less fan you have to compete with.

2 hours ago, technoblue said:

Anyway, this us versus them tribalism is getting tiring for me. It's also making the hobby less of a joy. People should buy what they like and refrain from dumping on other fans who like things that are a little different. I think it's great that so many MW members are passionate for the Maketoys' seekers. I hope you guys get news on the rest of the coneheads at TFcon. I also think it's great that we have MP-52. IMO, both can co-exist. :friends:

+1  Unfortunately, we live in an age where people feel entitled to their opinions, that their opinion is the only opinion that matters, and hostility is the only reaction to a difference in opinion. It doesn't help that internet anonymity and the absence of accountability seem to bring out the worst in people. 

1 hour ago, mikeszekely said:

But again, you can't argue "That's not the price, no one is charging that much!" and act like it's a number people made up just to make MP-52 look worse than it is when ¥28,000 is the actual price set by the manufacturer and most stores are charging that much just because Amazon and a few Japanese hobby shops are offering discounts.

My whole thing isn’t to argue the MSRP or the prices that are listed at US shops like Hasbro Pulse, Toy Dojo, BBTS, and the like. I simply wanted to point out that there are lower priced options and these options are easy to find. It isn’t limited to Japanese shops either. TFs-Express has a better price if you’re in the UK. Ignoring those options is like ignoring places like ShowZ for third party. Sure it’s factually correct but it misses an important data point which is that fans often search for the best deal. 

This circles back into the value discussion, though, which I think is entirely subjective. Fans who are happy with Maketoys’ seekers will see less value in this than those who are still looking for a good seeker to put in their MP shelf, or who just like Starscream. All opinions are valid IMO.

1 hour ago, mikeszekely said:

If anything I've said has come across as tribalism I do apologize, although I think I've been pretty fair to MP-52 and have even defended it as having a greatly improved robot mode against the naysayers who seem focused on the alt mode.

Oh, that wasn’t directed at you mike. I think you’ve been clear and balanced with your thoughts and views. It’s just that I’m finding it more exhausting to navigate discussions of official MPs. Something I need to figure out I guess.

5 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

And I've refrained from grumbling about the robot mode*, because I DO see them putting a lot of effort into achieving a goal there and recognize it is the bot mode a lot of people want. It's not my Starscream, but it is definitely someone's Starscream.

The jet is just sad though. It isn't toy-accurate, toon-accurate, or real world-accurate, and it seems to be purely due to lack of care.

*Except for the double-canopy. I totally laughed at that.

The backpack's completely unnecessary, but so much better than I expected that I'm actually giving TakaraTomy points for it.

12 hours ago, technoblue said:

Anyway, this us versus them tribalism is getting tiring for me.

I am a bit shocked by this comment, because I haven't seen this at all. Some very slightly heated debate over pricing, but...tribalism?

I hope you don't think it's tribalism that some people don't love the MP-52 as much as you do! :D

The bad part about those Headmasters is that they’re sold by Walmart who are unreliable and have been known to cancel preorders.  I have a few Marvel, Star Wars and GI Joe preorders with them still but I suspect that some of them will be cancelled.  What sucks is I that can’t simply reorder again because the preorder was a long time ago.  They’ve cancelled 2 of my preorders so far.  I just had Vintage G1 Blaster cancelled this morning but luckily it was available to reorder and it should be coming on 10/27.

1 hour ago, danth said:

I am a bit shocked by this comment, because I haven't seen this at all. Some very slightly heated debate over pricing, but...tribalism?

I hope you don't think it's tribalism that some people don't love the MP-52 as much as you do! :D

I don't know what to tell you, danth. I see things differently. I've been accused of reading into things too deeply at other venues, but that's just the kind of person I am. My opinion of MP-52 (or any official MP for that matter) doesn't really factor into it. I'm getting tired of the constant bickering from both sides whenever someone tries to have a constructive discussion here in the official thread or share some cool news. We should all be able to have these discussions in spite of our different opinions.

The fact that these discussions get sidelined for off-topic debates and rude, sometimes ruthless arguments speaks to tribalism to me.

That's what I think, if you really wanted to know and aren't just trolling me. Otherwise, I really can't help you.

Edited by technoblue

13 hours ago, treatment said:

I thought their preorder low price guarantee only covers the item.  The shipping price is lock on and stays the same at the time the preorder is placed.

They wont increase your shipping price nor would they lower them. ;)

Shipping rate will more than likely increase across the board for all transportation companies starting next year:(

4 minutes ago, F360 said:

I thought their preorder low price guarantee only covers the item.  The shipping price is lock on and stays the same at the time the preorder is placed.

They wont increase your shipping price nor would they lower them. ;)

Shipping rate will more than likely increase across the board for all transportation companies starting next year:(

It's been a clunky process according to their own reps, but you will have to contact them directly for a shipping-fee partial refund if you don't get an auto adjustment when the lowered shipping-fees during release-day (or day before release-day) goes live.

Of course Walgreens put Bluestreak up on their website now that I've bought one for scalper prices on ebay.  You're welcome, I guess.

EDIT: On the plus side, my stupid expensive Bluestreak arrived today.  Initial impressions- the chest and head are remolded to be less Smokescreen and more Bluestreak/Prowl, but the feet still have Smokescreen's spoiler.  They actually put some paint, including taillights, on the rear of the car, which is nice.  The little shoulder cannons, which are the same as ER Smokescreen's, work better on Bluestreak as they're closer to his animation model (although I wouldn't have minded toy-style missiles... I hear Nonnef's got something in the works).  Haven't transformed him yet, but so far I'm pleased.  Can't wait to add Prowl and Barricade to the collection.

Edited by mikeszekely

5 hours ago, technoblue said:

That's what I think, if you really wanted to know and aren't just trolling me. Otherwise, I really can't help you.

Not trolling. I just have a pretty specific definition of tribalism which doesn't include general rudeness or bickering.

To be clear, if I criticize a toy, it's not because I've built an identity around not liking the toy. It's just because I see something I don't really like.

And I don't criticize toys to hurt others who like the toy more than me. I just do it because I'm a nerd with nothing better to do. :D

1 hour ago, danth said:

Not trolling. I just have a pretty specific definition of tribalism which doesn't include general rudeness or bickering.

To be clear, if I criticize a toy, it's not because I've built an identity around not liking the toy. It's just because I see something I don't really like.

And I don't criticize toys to hurt others who like the toy more than me. I just do it because I'm a nerd with nothing better to do. :D

Fair enough. I should make it clear that I'm not offended by the critiques, and nerd banter certainly doesn't get under my skin. My statement isn't really about general rudeness either. It's more of a comment on my experiences across different forums and not specific to one place or one person. I guess I didn't communicate that point very well. I also admit that I could be totally reading things the wrong way.

Anyway, thanks for taking the extra time to reach out. I appreciate it. :drinks:

5 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Of course Walgreens put Bluestreak up on their website now that I've bought one for scalper prices on ebay.  You're welcome, I guess.

EDIT: On the plus side, my stupid expensive Bluestreak arrived today.  Initial impressions- the chest and head are remolded to be less Smokescreen and more Bluestreak/Prowl, but the feet still have Smokescreen's spoiler.  They actually put some paint, including taillights, on the rear of the car, which is nice.  The little shoulder cannons, which are the same as ER Smokescreen's, work better on Bluestreak as they're closer to his animation model (although I wouldn't have minded toy-style missiles... I hear Nonnef's got something in the works).  Haven't transformed him yet, but so far I'm pleased.  Can't wait to add Prowl and Barricade to the collection.

We have ten Walgreens in the Spokane area, and none of them have it in store or available for shipping. I checked one of the stores in person yesterday, and they didn't have it. 

I'm hoping it's just an ordering or distro issue, but it doesn't inspire hope.  I'm starting to wish I'd PM'd David about his copy when he first posted. Collecting toys should be a stress reliever, not the cause of it.

27 minutes ago, M'Kyuun said:

We have ten Walgreens in the Spokane area, and none of them have it in store or available for shipping. I checked one of the stores in person yesterday, and they didn't have it. 

I'm hoping it's just an ordering or distro issue, but it doesn't inspire hope.  I'm starting to wish I'd PM'd David about his copy when he first posted. Collecting toys should be a stress reliever, not the cause of it.

I'm obviously not going to be hitting up the stores as hardcore as I'd been, but I'll keep checking my local stores from time to time.  If I see one I'll grab it for you.

7 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

I'm obviously not going to be hitting up the stores as hardcore as I'd been, but I'll keep checking my local stores from time to time.  If I see one I'll grab it for you.

Thanks Mike, but I PM'd David on the off-chance that he still had his, and he does, so I'm likely getting it from him. As always, I appreciate the offer to help a brother out.  If only the  TF community as a whole embodied that spirit.

31 minutes ago, JB0 said:

Isn't that just a paler version of the last Counter/Punch? Was hoping it would at least be a partial redesign, like maybe one with ankles.

Color me disappointed.

I agree about P/CP, but for the sake of getting an Earth mode Barricade, I ate the cost of getting them as a two-pack. I'm happy for the folks who missed out on him the first go round and I won't fault Hasbro for doing two-packs, as I've benefited from them. However, I have the first release, and IMHO it has better overall deco and coloration.  If there's someone in need of it, I may just sell it, but b/c it was issued as a two-pack, part of me hates to break them up, as it devalues the set.

But yeah, Punch looks to be a straight repaint with no additional mods to improve the articulation. Bummer that, but after sooo many years of pining for an update, I thought it was a decent figure. Not perfect by any stretch, but it does pretty much everything you want from a Punch/Counter-punch figure, and short of having two separate sets of robot arms, homages the G1 toy pretty well. I wish it had better articulation, and a proper set of toes in CP mode, but I'm just glad he got a modern update in the main line. 

I just got ER Bluestreak (Thanks @David Hingtgen), and looking back at the G1 toy and artwork, I'm feeling a bit of an itch to throw some paint on him, as well as some stickers, especially to add some detail behind his leg windows. That was always a salient feature of the Datsun Bros- I absolutely love seeing the internals through the windows on the legs, and I was pleased as punch (no pun intended regarding the previous conversation) when that detail was molded into the MP figs. On the ER figs, the shins are entirely made of clear plastic so you can see right through them in bot mode. There is a little bit of molded detail in the plastic, but it's pretty generic. I'd prefer it had something that replicates the detail from the old box art/toy stickers, albeit with a more realistic look. Toyhax goes for the exact G1 sticker look, which, to me, doesn't often complement the modern toys without looking cheesy. I'm not aware of any alternatives, though. Nonetheless, their Sky-Lynx set looks pretty good.

2 hours ago, JB0 said:

Isn't that just a paler version of the last Counter/Punch?

If you hadn't said anything I might not have even noticed that.  I thought it was a straight-up reissue.  While I'd have liked some improvements, sure, these Galactic Odyssey releases have been straight up repaints, so I guess I'm actually more disappointed at getting a less-accurate color.

59 minutes ago, M'Kyuun said:

I agree about P/CP, but for the sake of getting an Earth mode Barricade, I ate the cost of getting them as a two-pack.

I mean, it's still slightly less than I paid for just Bluestreak.  Stupid exclusives.  Stupid Walgreens exclusives- at least I haven't had too much trouble with the Target and Amazon ones.

1 hour ago, M'Kyuun said:

I just got ER Bluestreak (Thanks @David Hingtgen), and looking back at the G1 toy and artwork, I'm feeling a bit of an itch to throw some paint on him, as well as some stickers, especially to add some detail behind his leg windows. That was always a salient feature of the Datsun Bros- I absolutely love seeing the internals through the windows on the legs, and I was pleased as punch (no pun intended regarding the previous conversation) when that detail was molded into the MP figs. On the ER figs, the shins are entirely made of clear plastic so you can see right through them in bot mode. There is a little bit of molded detail in the plastic, but it's pretty generic. I'd prefer it had something that replicates the detail from the old box art/toy stickers, albeit with a more realistic look.

Are you thinking mostly the translucent bits on the legs, or other stuff like the yellow spots on the taillights, the yellow at the top of his thighs, the green on his hips, and the patterns on his shoulders/biceps?  Maybe some red on the cannons (although I'm expecting Nonnef to do Datsun weapons soon)?

I'm actually mostly fine with him as is- I didn't have the toy as a kid, so cartoon Bluestreak kind of rules for me (or blue Bluestreak; prior the movie, if I have a fondness for a toy-style it's from staring at the checklist catalogs, and in that case it's blue Bluestreak).  The animation model just has simple blue panels, so his legs look fine to me.  Actually, what bugs me most is his shoulders, which should really be a dark gray or black, and his biceps should be the light gray they wound up using for his shoulders.  I kind of dig the red biceps; we'll see if I wind up painting the shoulders.

BTW, I didn't review Bluestreak since he's a remold of Smokescreen, but I did mention that they remolded the chest/front of the car, but not his feet/rear of the car.  And I think it makes his car mode look a little weird, like the rear is too thick for the nose.

About the legs, I mean the car's rear windows-cum-shins. On the boxart for all the Datsuns, there was mechanical detail that showed through the windows on their legs courtesy of stickers applied to the inner shins on the G1 toys. The boxart, especially Prowl's, made it look like you were seeing the internal mechanical details of the legs, and I absolutely loved that.:wub: I love the whole design-it's been my favorite TF design since '84- but that detail in the legs, as well as how it's drawn to look enclosed with a little bit of internal wraparound of the glass (a lovely detail that not even the MP got right) just does it for me. Still my favorite bit of TF art- it's why Prowl was my first toy, and has remained my favorite design all these years. I waited about 30 years for a toy to look like this, and the MP came pretty close. Anyway, it's a testament to good marketing- I still get a thrill from seeing this today. Note that this is a somewhat mirror image (see the backwards "OHC" on his pelvis and what looks like Diaclone spelled backwards on the shoulder), and yet this is how he appeared on the box; I've always thought of Prowl as a southpaw due to this image, and all my Prowl figs follow suit.:)

See the source image

As for the ER/kingdom Datsun figs, it's a serious bummer that they reused Smokescreen's feet for all of the figures rather than making a spoiler-less set for the figs that don't have it. As you said, it takes away from the smooth look of Bluestreak's and Prowl's feet. <_<

Edited by M'Kyuun

Perhaps it's me, but the English reviews I've watched  concerning Maverick seem to skew negatively towards it. I don't get it, as this is one of the cleanest jet Transformers to have been produced, taking liberal inspiration from the VF-1, certainly not a bad direction.  Moreover, it has better than average articulation relative to the WFC line, which overall has enjoyed some of the best articulation in a main line.  Admittedly, I'm not a big fan of the 'dirty' paint apps, but I get what they were going for. I've seen Navy planes up close, and yeah,  compared to Air Force jets, they're dirty. But given the need for water rationing and operating in a briny environment on a ship, it's to be expected. Anyway,  it strikes me as a very good figure, and I'm sure we're going to see a lot of  custom Macross repaints of this guy.  I find it especially confounding from the likes of Prime vs Prime, whose reviews are usually effusively positive about even the most fecal of figures, the adjective "fantastic" used so abundantly as to be a drinking game.  Many of the comments on his and other reviews seem to echo the negative sentiments, although there are the odd Macross/RT and Leader-1 comments, too. Do Gobots fans not realize that Leader-1 is an F-15? :rolleyes:  Anyway, I thought I'd share my observation, as well as my incredulousness to the negative reception of what looks to me like one of the best jet fighter Transformers to ever come from Hasbro.

Edited by M'Kyuun

Like me, I believe there are plenty of other fans out there that consider the robot mode the primary aspect in Transformers and not alt-mode accuracy. That might work for other franchises like Macross, but I think is wrongly applied to Transformers which is rooted in sentient robots with distinct personalities.

Personally I think Maverick is a terrible looking robot and prime example of what happens when the priorities are set wrong.

• Ugly silhouette and proportions
  • Undefined long tube-like legs
  • High-heel looking feet
  • Ill-defined waist, abdomen with belly syndrome and a torso piece that does not even sit flush
  • Low hanging shoulders
  • Terrible plastic colour and paint application
  • Main wings just hanging out
  • Vertical stabilizers just hanging out

No amount repainting into Macross Valkyries, Leader-1 or whatever will save this thing or make it look good.
And the same basically goes for Gigawatt, a giant square block tacked on to a pair of legs that Hasbro had lying around - zero effort.

I think the issue is twofold.

1. While Transformer jets mostly are airplanes with wings tucked onto the fuselage they have a distinct bulky body shape that Maverick is lacking. I can understand it is not appealing to TF fans; it doesn’t look like a Transformer.

2. While I don’t habe the toy in hand from the pictures the plastic quality seems to be awfully gummy and translucent looking. Doesn’t look like a quality toy to me. Also while Transformers are sporting mostly a colorful deco Maverick seems bland and uninteresting.

The two things combined seems to be a big turnoff for TF fans. I‘m a big fan of transforming jets and the looks from the promo pictures alone make me not want the toy.

I can definitely get why transformers fans (or robot fans in general) don't really like it, and I agree, the paint job on it looks lousy.

I picked one up anyway, because it's a transforming F-14, and I'm more attracted to that than any of the other faults push me away.  I'm already deciding how to strip it down and repaint it, because the default grime really is ugly.