The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

10 hours ago, ErikElvis said:

Any recent updates on unicron?

Not sure what kind of update you're looking for.  It got funded, but backers aren't getting them until 2021.  I have no idea if anyone like BBTS or TFSource ordered extra to sell to non-backers, or if there might be extra at HasbroPulse.  Anyone know if there were extra sail barges?

This Hot Toys Prime/Starscream looks pretty cool. The paint apps are nice. It's is a floppy mess of a mess though. What a piece of trash. It's wedged up in the Detolf so it doesn't crumble. In it's defense it comes with a base and stick for his butt. I expected a lot more from Hot Toys. The last three Chinese KO's I unbowed are WAY nicer than this thing is.

Prime-Starscream.jpg

That sucks, man. Sorry to hear the quality is so poor. Hot Toys come at a premium price, and my impression has been that they made a really good product to justify it, although that's my impression rather than experience, as I don't own any Hot Toys' products. Again, sorry to hear it's floppy; hopefully that's not a trend.

20 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Anyone know if there were extra sail barges?

Hasbro held back a few hundred of the Khetanna to sell on eBay to international buyers -- Hong Kong, Australia, and the UK, at least -- and sold them all in less than eight minutes.

2 hours ago, tekering said:

Hasbro held back a few hundred of the Khetanna to sell on eBay to international buyers -- Hong Kong, Australia, and the UK, at least -- and sold them all in less than eight minutes.

So I guess the news (that probably isn't really news) is that if you got an order in then you have a year to wait, and if you don't have an order in you better hope Zeta's isn't as dead as it looks.

I'm glad I got mine in. I fence sat for a while, as $600 is a lotta dough, and honestly, I think it's worth about half that due to the shell-formery lack of engineering. But, it's official, will likely hold it, or increase, its value, has a really good looking planet mode, and a decent bot mode.  I'm just hoping it'll be without QC issues once it releases. 

I'm thinking once the official release comes and goes, Zeta will be free to market theirs; in the meantime, they have time to refine it. They definitely have the Hasbro version beat in the engineering dept, but at the cost of the planet mode's deco. They could probably find some work-arounds to improve that since they've got a year to sit on it. 

Been looking at the reviews for some of these Earthrise figs popping up. I really, really wish they'd come up with a new mold entirely for the seekers, as that giant hole between the intakes, reminiscent of an F-16 intake, just looks atrocious. The original G1 toy had a better fighter mode. I also wish they'd tucked away those horizontal stabs to clean up the legs. And what happened to the exhaust augmentors that form the heels?  I saw someone post that this looks better than the Classics toy which it basically copied, and my reaction is that the opposite is true. New Age's Lucifer looks better, and it's a legends class figure. It's disappointing, and one more reason I wish these third parties would do CHUG stuff when the official toys suck.

Edited by M'Kyuun

8 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

I'm glad I got mine in. I fence sat for a while, as $600 is a lotta dough, and honestly, I think it's worth about half that due to the shell-formery lack of engineering. But, it's official, will likely hold it, or increase, its value, has a really good looking planet mode, and a decent bot mode.  I'm just hoping it'll be without QC issues once it releases. 

I'm thinking once the official release comes and goes, Zeta will be free to market theirs; in the meantime, they have time to refine it. They definitely have the Hasbro version beat in the engineering dept, but at the cost of the planet mode's deco. They could probably find some work-arounds to improve that since they've got a year to sit on it. 

Been looking at the reviews for some of these Earthrise figs popping up. I really, really wish they'd come up with a new mold entirely for the seekers, as that giant hole between the intakes, reminiscent of an F-16 intake, just looks atrocious. The original G1 toy had a better fighter mode. I also wish they'd tucked away those horizontal stabs to clean up the legs. And what happened to the exhaust augmentors that form the heels?  I saw someone post that this looks better than the Classics toy which it basically copied, and my reaction is that the opposite is true. New Age's Lucifer looks better, and it's a legends class figure. It's disappointing, and one more reason I wish these third parties would do CHUG stuff when the official toys suck.

To be fair the New Age Seeker mold is better than all the other Starscreams out there (I have the Skywarp version)

9 hours ago, Scyla said:

To be fair the New Age Seeker mold is better than all the other Starscreams out there (I have the Skywarp version)

NA did a great job, although they do a pretty good job with most of their stuff. I have their Harry (Prowl:wub:) and their Max (Cosmos), and both are really nice little reps of their characters. I haven't gotten any of  their Seekers, but those and their Megatron both look awesome.

But y'know, I expect a little better from a company that's been doing this for almost forty years. I wasn't crazy about the Siege Seeker, as the legs under the plane just bugged me. But when I saw Thundercracker on sale, I picked him up on a whim, and while I still don't like the leg situation, in hand it looked better than in pics. (Why is that? Unconscious justification? I don't know.) But the transformation is pretty cool, and the bot mode has excellent articulation, especially in the legs and feet. I remain quite impressed with it, and held out hope that the same or better levels would be brought to bear in an eventual F-15 version. And then they dump Classics Seeker 2.0 on us, with even less alt mode accuracy than its predecessor. <_< I don't understand why Takara seem to have so much trouble designing a decent transforming aircraft, when they do such a great job with land vehicles. Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed. Again, I wish third party would produce improved CHUG scale figs, or do improved KOs of the figs that have glaring flaws, like Astrotrain's crappy alt modes, and the new Seeker's crappy F-15 mode. I'd happily give them my money for improved versions.

so finally got around to unboxing and transforming Masterpiece 47 Hound. Initially thought all was well then as tried transforming to robot mode his rear door where the spare tyre sits just fell off. I thought maybe it fell out a socket or something and could back in but alas it seems a clean break from factory or somewhere. The rest is OK and while I'm happy with him in robot mode it does make me think there is a limit being hit now. 

This guy along with MP Bee 2, Op 3, so many folding panels here and there just makes them feel so fragile and yes quality seems down some how not sure if factory change or too complicated designs or what is just seems these recent one are off bit. 

IMG_20200205_205206.thumb.jpg.9d6225e6010a2924bb4639b63fea9841.jpg

Edited by obakesan

1 hour ago, obakesan said:

so finally got around to unboxing and transforming Masterpiece 47 Hound. Initially thought all was well then as tried transforming to robot mode his rear door where the spare tyre sits just fell off. I thought maybe it fell out a socket or something and could back in but alas it seems a clean break from factory or somewhere. The rest is OK and while I'm happy with him in robot mode it does make me think there is a limit being hit now. 

This guy along with MP Bee 2, Op 3, so many folding panels here and there just makes them feel so fragile and yes quality seems down some how not sure if factory change or too complicated designs or what is just seems these recent one are off bit. 

There's a behind the scenes mess that Hound's parts were made in a Vietnamese factory, but was assembled in China. Due to that, the glaring QC issues couldn't be fixed, and Takara didn't step up and halt production or release. Agreed though, the older MPs were far more fun, even if they weren't as "complete" with accessories and crap, and weren't anywhere near as show accurate, which has never really been my cup of tea, I grew up with Beast Wars not G1. Bad plastic was used in several areas, and apparently several of the pins in the figure were forced and/or not toleranced properly. 

In short, wait for a reissue, it's a crap show of a release that's riddled with QC issues, cool design and engineering though. 

Finally got around to building the Furai IDW optimus prime model. It was a lot of fun to build and a nice change of pace from building gundam and Star Wars models. Only really gripe is the lack of waterslide decals, It only comes with foil stickers. That's something they need to change. 

Fully painted with vallejo brand paint.

IMG-0979.JPG

Edited by GobotFool

On 2/3/2020 at 10:19 PM, sqidd said:

This Hot Toys Prime/Starscream looks pretty cool. The paint apps are nice. It's is a floppy mess of a mess though. What a piece of trash. It's wedged up in the Detolf so it doesn't crumble. In it's defense it comes with a base and stick for his butt. I expected a lot more from Hot Toys. The last three Chinese KO's I unbowed are WAY nicer than this thing is.

Prime-Starscream.jpg

Damn, that really sucks. I have tons of hot toys figures and everything has always  been top quality. Sorry to hear they dropped the ball so badly on this figure. Hearing this news makes me even more thankful for 3A's figures.

1 minute ago, lechuck said:

In latest Masterpiece news, seems like we are getting:

• MP-50 - Tigertron
  • MP-51 - Arcee

haha posted seconds before. Personally not a big beast wars fan myself, Arcee is fine but kinda hoping they finish the initial G1 bots, Jazz, Trailbreaker and Mirage. 

33 minutes ago, obakesan said:

Come on Takara where's Jazz, Trailbreaker, Mirage finish the initial G1 bots please ☺ 

Not until after Optimus 3 white repaint, Optimus 3 black repaint, a couple of Optimus 3 licensed tie-in repaints, and the first edition of the Optimus 4 mold.

12 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Seems Earthrise figures are starting hit Targets.  Just not my Targets. <_<

Nor mine. :( My local Wally has two Transformers in its TF section, and both are Studio Series Starscream. The pegs are all delineated and tagged, but they're all empty and have been for some time now. Not sure if it's an ordering thing on Wally's part, or a distro issue with Hasbro, but it's dismaying to see all that emptiness every time I go in there.

2 hours ago, crackpot said:

I think it's due to licensing issues with Porsche that MP Jazz may never happen.

Yeah, I'm beginning to lose hope of that character getting an official MP. But then again, given both the design direction and the recent QC issues with the MP line, I'm kinda ambivalent about it. I think I would have preferred a MP Jazz when Hasui-san was lead designer. Shame it never happened.

1 hour ago, David Hingtgen said:

They've got a high bar to set with an MP Arcee, considering the 3P options that already exist. 

Totes. While neither Rouge nor Azalea are perfect, both do an admirable job, in different ways, of capturing the character. I chose Azalea, and I think it's a brilliantly done figure, with a smart and easy transformation, a decent car mode, and excellent articulation.  Just a well done toy of a character that's challenging to do without becoming a kibbly mess, or a shellformer. Indeed the bar is set high.

4 minutes ago, M'Kyuun said:

Totes. While neither Rouge nor Azalea are perfect, both do an admirable job, in different ways, of capturing the character. I chose Azalea, and I think it's a brilliantly done figure, with a smart and easy transformation, a decent car mode, and excellent articulation.  Just a well done toy of a character that's challenging to do without becoming a kibbly mess, or a shellformer. Indeed the bar is set high.

I'll wait to see more photos of the official but yeah, the 3P ones aren't bad. I would have preferred TT worked on an updated Rodimus Prime or Ultra Magnus.

Maybe TT should include a boob upgrade ala Den Toys. Lol! :rofl:

So this is the best current pic of MP Arcee, and due to the angle and the reflections from her display case, it leaves much to be desired. However, the current controversy on the TFW boards concerns her too-low chest and over-long collar. Too, she looks to have a substantial backpack containing most of her car mode, which looks really good (the car, not the backpack). Her bot mode looks like it needs some work , but it's early, and hopefully the chest issue is due to mistransformation or loose joints in an oft manipulated prototype.

MP Arcee.jpg

Edited by M'Kyuun

6 minutes ago, M'Kyuun said:

So this is the best current pic of MP Arcee, and due to the angle and the reflections from her display case, it leaves much to be desired. However, the current controversy on the TFW boards concerns her too-low chest and over-long collar. Too, she looks to have a substantial backpack containing most of her car mode, which looks really good (the car, not the backpack). Her bot mode looks like it needs some work , but it's early, and hopefully the chest issue is due to mistransformation or loose joints in an oft manipulated prototype.

MP Arcee.jpg

So she needs a boob lift? (I'm gonna show my immature ass out soon.)

Since they're going for toon accuracy, the backpack definitely detracts from it, too much even. They need to clean that up.

I honestly think they may be going for something other than toon-accuracy.  They've really gone for a "skimpy underwear" look for the sculpt, and I'm thinking that may be more like "some manga I'll never read"-accurate....

Arcee's lower torso is NOT that curved/human.  She's a pile of rectangles and trapezoids.  I've watched the '86 movie enough times to know exactly how she looks, "and that ain't it".   (Those are also some funky thighs) 

cartoon-blaster.jpg

Either way, I find several 3P's to be much better.  Takara can, and should, do better.    

Takara has a way of including “accuracy” accessories in its Masterpieces, like Inferno’s grilles. I’m gonna wait to see more and better pics before I render judgement. 

1 hour ago, David Hingtgen said:

I honestly think they may be going for something other than toon-accuracy.  They've really gone for a "skimpy underwear" look for the sculpt, and I'm thinking that may be more like "some manga I'll never read"-accurate....

Arcee's lower torso is NOT that curved/human.  She's a pile of rectangles and trapezoids.  I've watched the '86 movie enough times to know exactly how she looks, "and that ain't it".   (Those are also some funky thighs)

Either way, I find several 3P's to be much better.  Takara can, and should, do better.    

Picture of a picture at an angle... If you look closer she does have edges and flattened sides around her waist and abdomen area.

And if 3P offerings are going to be the measure, then Takara has nothing to worry about.

3 hours ago, Sildani said:

Takara has a way of including “accuracy” accessories in its Masterpieces, like Inferno’s grilles. I’m gonna wait to see more and better pics before I render judgement. 

Unless one of those "accuracy" accessories is a totally different head, no thanks.

I'll say this, though, the car mode on Takara's looks better than either FT's or MMC's.

Yeah. If they fix what ails the bot mode before release, it'll be win-win. Either, way, unless it's really terrible, I'm pretty much down for a copy.  Regardless of the whole fembot controversy, she was a cool character who was ignored for about thirty years, so now that she's finally starting to get figures, I'm pretty pleased. I hope Takara put their A team on this.

6 hours ago, lechuck said:

Picture of a picture at an angle... If you look closer she does have edges and flattened sides around her waist and abdomen area.

And if 3P offerings are going to be the measure, then Takara has nothing to worry about.

I just had a look at the near/clear/big pics out there----her lower torso is still 100x more human than it should be.  Ironically, the newly-produced art right by the figure, is spot-on.  Both body and face.  Why couldn't Takara match that?

:;fake edit::  I just figured out what bugs me---with the neck/collar/chest how it is, and the waist how it is----it looks like a woman cosplaying as Arcee, and not Arcee.   Face-shape is totally wrong, chest looks "like a piece of cardboard taped on", and the waist is clearly human.