The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

I'm a white guy with hazel eyes myself, and I rarely go outside without sunglasses. Even if it's cloudy it's usually bright enough that I'd rather wear them than not, and if it's sunny I'll get headaches if I'm not wearing sunglasses. I had a nice pair of Oakley's for years, then replaced them with Ray Bans that got swiped after less than a year, so my wife won't let me get nice ones again for awhile. I've got three pairs of polarized Sketchers I got for under $25 each. One pair is in my car, one pair is in my wife's car, and the third I keep in the house in case I'm going outside and either staying on the neighborhood or someone else is driving. That pair traveled to Beijing with me. It's weird, I didn't even think about the fact that I'm the only one wearing sunglasses when I go out here until @tekering mentioned it. I don't know if the notion that their eyes are more capable of handling the sun than Caucasian eyes is a widespread one, though. My mother-in-law actually does wear sunglasses occasionally (though not like I do), and my father-in-law just says he doesn't feel comfortable wearing them.

Well, Japanese people can be paralytically self-conscious, and wearing sunglasses is seen as a Western conceit that calls attention to yourself.

GojiShades.thumb.jpg.4abc0d1f2d8e681ba990848297cf95e1.jpg

I cannot speak with any authority as to the rest of Asia, however.

Well, now we know what happens when Hasbro can't get a HasLab project funded. They move the goalposts.

Ok, I'm being a little snarky, but honestly I think this is a smart move because the original deadline was pretty short. I think a lot of people who were interested weren't able to put together $600 on such short notice. In my case I had basically two weeks before leaving for China, and I just couldn't do it. But now I can look into moving some funds around when I get back and might still back it.

So MP-44 is in the wild, looks good, not $300+ good, so still a pass for me. Man, once again, TFW2005 has the single WORST community of any toy site on the web, wow, that official MP-44 thread is a literal wretched hive of scum and villainy, once again, wow.

Slight criticism of MP-44? Troll. Comment on price being too high? Poor troll, also, not a real fan. There's five or six posters constantly bringing up third party to bash those Primes, then there's two or three asses that constantly cry about third party being brought up, once again, almost exclusively being brought up by the same few posters, not to compare, just to bash and complain. Complaints of people "talking crap" in the third party threads about MP-44 (oh the horror, my toy feelings are hurt), I go to those threads, it's like, a dozen people simply stating they still prefer their third party figure to MP-44, nothing more.

That MP-44 thread is, by a long country mile, the single most pathetic, childish, and horrifying example of a toy community I have ever seen. It's absolutely disgusting, and I can't help but wonder if the site has mods, if they're worthless, or if it is all just okay. Every. Single. Person. I have had ask me about my Transformers, I always tell them to just use TFW2005 for resources and news, NOTHING MORE, DO NOT POST, it is a complete crap-show, worst toy community on the net.

The us-vs-them mentality is soooo strong, it's insane, it reminds me of the psychotic kids that spend all day on IGN arguing over the "console wars", I had thought, foolishly, that level of brand loyalty was reserved for sociopathic children, guess I was dead ass wrong. I guess no other toy community really has a divide among it due to third party figures and collecting, but still, the vicious, idiotic, downright dangerous hate being flung because someone said something mean about a certain truck to robot toy, or buying the "wrong" robot truck toy, is absurd, and once again, wow, insanely, maddeningly pathetic.

Rant over, sorry guys. 

I like plenty of official toys, and I enjoy talking about them here with you guys. But as a rule I never, ever go to the official boards at TFW2005. I mean, the entire forum is full of tribalism and people looking for confirmation bias on crap they like as they argue about scale, but the 3P boards aren't nearly as bad as the official ones.

As for MP-44, I'm just not a fan, regardless of price. I believe that everyone is looking for some degree of cartoon accuracy, but it's possible to go too far and MP-44 does.

Looking forward to getting my MP-44 from Amazon, they have the release date as tomorrow (Saturday, 08/31).

Not stoked about the price tag, but I've had every regular (either Takara or Hasbro) iteration of the Masterpiece Primes so I'm taking the plunge...again.

-b.

19 minutes ago, jenius said:

What am I looking at?

Some crazy origami engineering Takara managed with MP-44. While I won't be getting one, there's zero denying Takara's engineering is, as always, totally on point. After multiple MP Primes, official and third party, MP-44 still managed some tricks and neat bits of engineering all it's own. Also, the front hip skirts are spring loaded, there's some quite amazing engineering in there no doubt, Takara certainly went all out on this thing. 

Yeah, the price is the only downer about MP-44 for me too, but I bought into Takara's version anyway and decided to let go of my Magic Square copy. I mean it's Prime and I want to stand the new guy next to MP-10 to see how much has changed since I started collecting these silly Masterpiece-scale Transformers. ;)

My MP-44 is on its way, I must admit I haven't been this exited for a release of any kind for a very long time. I paid 276 Euros for mine and I have no problem with Takara's higher asking price, because I acknowledge the effort in the nice aesthetics, proper proportions and insanely good engineered articulation.

69579318_978032822547145_682353457031125

1567141884-mp21.jpg

1567141883-mp3.jpg

This to me is value for the money, in contrast you would not get me to buy an Arcadia "premium" Valkyrie. Slapping more markings on a toy does not constitute real effort to me and therefore not worth the surcharge.

I generally do not understand where this notion comes from that Takara has to make higher end Transformers toys for dumping prices. If the design and engineering is on par with other contemporary offerings then I see no problem with Takara pricing accordingly.

The majority of the TFW2005 forum and some of the people that run it are garbage.

MP-44 looks cool.  Mine should be coming in from Amazon JP on 9/3-9/6.  I wonder how many variants they will make with this new mold.

18 minutes ago, lechuck said:

I generally do not understand where this notion comes from that Takara has to make higher end Transformers toys for dumping prices. If the design and engineering is on par with other contemporary offerings then I see no problem with Takara pricing accordingly.

Nobody is really asking for "dumping" prices, it just comes down to, on a person to person basis, what you are willing to pay. Some are fine with $300+, some are fine with $400+, I personally feel $250 would've been a sweet spot for me to buy in, but that $300+ is absurd. Nobody is asking for this thing to be the same price as MP-10, a lot of folks just feel it's too much for what is on offer, engineering and design included. To me, $300+ is what I am willing to pay for, say, the upcoming Chogokin Vehicle Voltron, not this. I've got third party figures with just as impressive articulation and engineering and they were a fraction of the cost, I feel there's a hefty Takara Tax on this thing since it's Optimus. 

5 minutes ago, sh9000 said:

I wonder how many variants they will make with this new mold.

ALL OF THEM! Seriously though, Id' wager the first one on tap will be MP-44+, a chromed out G1 toy inspired repaint, I've already seen some pretty damn good digi-bashes of it. 

2 minutes ago, anime52k8 said:

I wonder how long before we get a KO with English voice clips for ~$150

From what I read Takara/Hasbro is currently going after Black Mamba and a few other big name KO makers, and apparently have their sites set on various third party companies after that, so who knows on a KO for this. Also, I guess MP-44 already comes with a Cullen english voice chip built in, so that's cool. 

13 hours ago, Tking22 said:

Some crazy origami engineering Takara managed with MP-44.

Didn't we used to call that kind of transformation a "shell-former"? I miss the days when the different modes were expected to share parts.

3 hours ago, JB0 said:

Didn't we used to call that kind of transformation a "shell-former"? I miss the days when the different modes were expected to share parts.

HasLab Unicron is a shellformer. The bot is hiding in the shell. MP-44 is an inside-out transformer?

On 8/29/2019 at 8:14 PM, sh9000 said:

What irks me with this campaign and seems kinda silly given they need backers? I am in the UK and could be tempted but I can't even back it from what I've seen since shipping is pureley North America only. So, I wonder if it would have been backed already if non North American fans could back it?

20 hours ago, treatment said:

wotafa's so-called "first impression review" of MP-44:

Really, I don't think I need to watch the video.  I can see all I need to from the box art---what a ridiculous-looking truck mode.  It's the opposite of what MP's used to be.  I want a friggin' Freightliner FL86 that turns into Prime, period.  Cartoon-accuracy be damned, the toon truck has no air cleaners and no horns---that makes it not even really a semi IMHO.  (and the ever-flattening fuel tanks have bugged me since MP-1----I don't think I've seen proper fuel tanks SINCE the original G1) 

Yet they continue to keep putting wipers on, as if THAT was an uber-important detail for the overall look, when so many far larger issues need to be addressed...

Just got back from my vacay in PA, and while I was there, Wally had the vintage cassette packs, so I caved and bought one of each. I'm torn on whether to open them or not, as all I ever owned in the 80's were KOs of Ravage and one of the Decepticon humanoid cassettes molded in red and white. I have G1 Soundwave, so I at least had Buzzsaw. 

I have MP Soundwave with all the cassettes he came with. MP Laserbeak is brilliant, Rumble and Frenzy pretty good, and Ravage OK. BUT, they all have markedly improved articulation over the originals, especially Rumble and Frenzy, so my desire to handle the old toys wanes a bit.  I say this, but there's still just something about them that brings out the 13 year old me and makes me want to bust 'em out and play. Collector's conundrum. 

I didn't have much access to internet while in PA, so I was a bit surprised to learn that Unicron's deadline had been bumped.  I have a feeling that giving the fans that extra time to raise the funds might clench it. Guess we'll see.

Haven't had time to watch the transformation of MP-44 yet, but I did check out the voice vid- sounds a bit tinny for a modern toy.  Still, nice to hear Mr. Cullen's iconic delivery. Guess I'll watch the transformation tomorrow- little weary from traveling tonight.

Nice find, Mark-1s. Never saw it for less than $40 around here, and there's no way I'd pay that for just the cab portion of G1 Prime. I think I bought the reissue of G1 prime with his trailer for less years ago. 

6 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

It's the opposite of what MP's used to be.

MP is now all about "stepping straight out of the cartoon" now.

I don't mind, since I never hold it to the realistic alt mode, toon bot mode model.

3 hours ago, nhyone said:

MP is now all about "stepping straight out of the cartoon" now.

I don't mind, since I never hold it to the realistic alt mode, toon bot mode model.

"stepping straight out of the cartoon" , yeah that's also one of the things that keeps me scratching my head , if Takara went that way why they added such a complicated transformation and stayed away from the cartoon / anime transformation?, Optimus Prime in the anime, the G1 toy and the MP 10 toy all have this iconic transformation part, is were the truck mode head lights fold out and this happens to be their arms, also the whole leg parts folds down like the anime, I'm a big fan of Optimus Prime and the transformation is an iconic one and so removing this doesn't make any sense if they are trying to go anime accurate, I'm really trying to get to like this new version but man  the more I see  it the more I see is a big screw up from Takara, for example also that big gap between convoy and the trailer definitely not a looker, not to mention that huge backpack in robot mode.  

Megatron MP 36 has a complicated transformation but here I think is justify, cause if  you look at it the Robot is effing stunning and yet it can transform to damn awesome looking gun mode, so yeah here compromises had to be done in order to get both visually stunning modes, but for Optimus prime ?, Takara just went over-engineering in my opinion, I mean just look at this:

a09366aeb5a73e32a964796895b86d02.gif

I mean come on just look at this comparison:

image.png.dd6bc8bbe7b04307bb4cf05f1b54881b.png

picture is from  review video : 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTAbK00jG6A

Definitely the cost went higher caused that over-engineered transformation caused for detail it definitely wasn't.