The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

Good interview, I give the team behind MP-44 my thumbs up for identifying key insufficiencies and their approach on trying to make an even better Optimus Prime.

I personally feel the price complaining towards Takara has been over-inflated. This isn't MP-10 with just more tampo printing and "Premium" label slapped on it, nor is it some mild revision with some added adjustment or additional  accessories included.

Is it pricey - yes.
Is it over-priced for what Takara has made - no, I don't think so.

Price is -- and will always be -- a very subjective issue.

I'm not entirely sure MPM-06 is worth the asking price, either, given its poorly-engineered tabs and shoulders... but it sure looks the part!  :wub:

mpm-06-jpg.28150961

Scales well, too.  :good:

mpm-06-and-friends-jpg.28150962

10 hours ago, JB0 said:

In fairness, the F91 is pretty cool for a Gundam.

Totally agree; I still have an unfinished model of it I bought in Okinawa 20+ years ago. Someday I'll dig it out and complete it, as it's still one of my favorite Gundam designs.

My knowledge of Star Saber is nigh nonexistent, so I Googled to see what the transformation looks like. Gotta say, to my eyes, it's far closer to Gundam or super robot territory than to Transformers. Not at all crazy about it in either form, but especially its spaceship? mode. For those that dig it (lookin at you, Kuma;)), I'm glad that that these high end figs are out there, though. I'm sure this guy is much more popular with Japanese fans who grew up watching him, and with a few Westerners as well.

2 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

I'm hearing $50 for Prime sans trailer. Seems a bit steep.

Wow, no kidding. But, y'know, nostalgia has a tendency to make people lose rational financial thinking. I'm guilty, both for TFs and LEGO.  On topic, though, I don't think I paid that much for my reissue, and it came with the trailer. Glad I got it when I did.

It would be nice if Optimus was $50 and it included the trailer in a full repro G1 box.  If it gets discounted I might get this Optimus without the trailer.  Otherwise I’ll stick to my Takara Collection reissue.

B348D9F8-2160-4723-A277-51829FCB5238.jpeg.0fc92d82a2854d72fa6905ac50278987.jpeg

G1 prime without trailer is a travesty, especially if they are trying for the nostalgia with the boxes etc.  the small size of the box will ruin that feeling instantly and remind you in hasbro is just trying to save a few bucks and its 2019 and not 1984.  the G1 prime box was fairly big part of the fun was the big neautiful box and the trailer was fun too as a kid!  its sad when you want to buy something from hasbro but can't but you can go online and fine knockoff G1s with the pretty g1 hasbro box and all shipped from overseas cheaper than they want for this.  to support the franchise i'll probably get it but man....its a bitter pill. 

3 hours ago, Mechapilot77 said:

the small size of the box will ruin that feeling instantly and remind you in hasbro is just trying to save a few bucks and its 2019 and not 1984.

In 1984 Optimus Prime retailed for around $20.99.  Adjusted for inflation, that's around $50 today.  Except in 1984 Prime did include Roller and the trailer, so...

3 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

In 1984 Optimus Prime retailed for around $20.99.  Adjusted for inflation, that's around $50 today.  Except in 1984 Prime did include Roller and the trailer, so...

so in fact they are doing more than just saving a few bucks!  haha. 

speaking of prices...i still remember chunky monkey jetfire was $36 at kaybee toys when i was a kid so when the origins of valkyrie line from bandai came out like what...16-17 years ago now for roughly $100, i was like....dang....and those didn't include the fast packs either!  haha

10 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Well, shooting down the G1 reissue and MP-44, here's a Prime I do want.  Supposedly, this is Studio Series 38, Cybertronian Optimus from the Bumblebee Movie.

Studio-Series-SS-38-Cybertronian-Optimus-Prime-01.jpg.d61ae68d1452126b8571a19641037834.jpg

Curious to see what he transforms into, as the signs are there for an Earth-styled cabover. Which would be weird if he's on Cybertron many years before the cabover was invented. All things being equal, this is a big step in the right direction for live action, so even if he ends up with a convoluted Cybertronian alt, cool points to Travis for making Optimus look like Optimus. So glad Bay is out.

Edit: jumped over to TFW2005, and got my question answered. Apparently Earth mode and it looks good, better than Seige Prime's alt. http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/12/19/studio-series-ss-38-optimus-prime-bumblebee-movie-back-of-packaging-image-379211

Dammit, might have to get this, too.

Edited by M'Kyuun

13 minutes ago, M'Kyuun said:

Edit: jumped over to TFW2005, and got my question answered. Apparently Earth mode and it looks good, better than Seige Prime's alt.

Oh, this thing is so bought.

On 12/18/2018 at 1:17 PM, mikeszekely said:

I'm hearing $50 for Prime sans trailer. Seems a bit steep.

Try $50 to $60 shipped for JUST the DX VF-1J missiles.

:vava:

Edited by vlenhoff
Wow, that Movie Optimus looks pretty cool.

42 minutes ago, vlenhoff said:

Try $50 to $60 shipped for JUST the DX VF-1J missiles.

:vava:

There's a reason I've been on a Macross board for something like 20 years but I don't own any Macross toys. I don't begrudge anyone who does, but that's too expensive of a rabbit hole for me to jump down.

22 minutes ago, Kuma Style said:

Preorders for FT Star Saber open Saturday. I'm hoping the site doesn't crash.

Oh boy oh boy, I hope the Kuro Kara Kuri preorders doesn't become  the next Metal Build and DX Chogokin preorder madness. :(

Do you know what the D4 toys exclusive will be for Star Saber?

Speaking of Flame Toys they showed a few more pieces: http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/12/19/new-flame-toys-products-images-the-fallen-jetpower-optimus-prime-idw-rodimus-stealth-bomber-megatron-windblade-drift-g1-optimus-prime-379171

01-Kuro-Kara-Kuri-The-Fallen.jpg

I feel like The Fallen is too much Tarn with the big arms, gigantic pauldrons and skinny legs. This is probably the first announcement of them that I'm on the fence about.  I hope they will do some more re-shelling on him. Smaller, shorter arms would be a good place to start. :)

Edited by Scyla

1 hour ago, mikeszekely said:

There's a reason I've been on a Macross board for something like 20 years but I don't own any Macross toys. I don't begrudge anyone who does, but that's too expensive of a rabbit hole for me to jump down.

To be fair, Bandai's offerings tend to be much more affordable than the previous Yamato, and now Arcadia offerings, relative to many 3P TF prices. At the very least, I'm surprised you haven't gotten an Arcadia 1/60 VF-1. Bandai's VF-19 Advance/YF-19 are pretty nice, too.  I love my Yamato VF-19 (blue and yellow) and VF-11, and IMHO, Arcadia's YF-19 is a solid entry as well. I'm also a fan of the renewal VF-25s from Frontier, although I can understand why it's a hit-or-miss design.These constitute bare minimum must-haves from the valk pantheon in my book. Still waiting for the nigh perfect YF-21 to come along. I won't argue, however, that it is an evermore expensive pursuit, these Macross toys, so I can understand confining one's buying to a particular line or theme. Mike, you've served the community well with your reviews and insights, and I'm glad you've found a home here. 

Also, just wanted to wish Good Luck to all you folks trying to score a Flame Toys Star Saber on Saturday. 

28 minutes ago, Scyla said:

Oh boy oh boy, I hope the Kuro Kara Kuri preorders doesn't become  the next Metal Build and DX Chogokin preorder madness. :(

Do you know what the D4 toys exclusive will be for Star Saber?

Speaking of Flame Toys they showed a few more pieces: http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/12/19/new-flame-toys-products-images-the-fallen-jetpower-optimus-prime-idw-rodimus-stealth-bomber-megatron-windblade-drift-g1-optimus-prime-379171

01-Kuro-Kara-Kuri-The-Fallen.jpg

I feel like The Fallen is too much Tarn with the big arms, gigantic pauldrons and skinny legs. This is probably the first announcement of them that I'm on the fence about.  I hope they will do some more re-shelling on him. Smaller, shorter arms would be a good place to start. :)

Check their Facebook page or D4toys... They listed the bonus parts. I'm pretty sure one is one of the rifles but unsure of what else.

The Fallen definitely maintains too much of Tarn's aesthetic but hoping that the paint job covers it up better when future samples are shown. 

The biggest thing for me was the Jetwing combination option for Optimus... thinking the add on will just be a giant jet that parts forms like how Victory Leo is only one mode and parts forms for  combination. 

So the Flame Toys Star Saber preorder is live at D4 Toys. Sadly I can't order from them (even if I want the rifle) since they only offer FedEx shipping which will give me some issues with customs in my country and is significantly more expensive than other place. I will go with PSX for this one again. 

[edit:] Sent them an email asking if they would be willing to ship via EMS.. Oh, and an image of the bonus rifle:

[KURO KARA KURI]#03 Star Saber

Edited by Scyla

FT Star Saber preordered. I'd love to say "can't wait" but delays are par for the course so I don't see this coming until after fall hits even with the May listing. SG Drift coming in March will be a nice holdover though. 

I agree on the shipping... absolutely hate it. At least this has the bonus parts so in my head I just call it a  upcharge for extra pieces but anything that's same for same with retail releases I order elsewhere. DHL overnight from AmiAmi even is always significantly cheaper than D4's FedEx option. I don't know if they do so much business in HK that they give no frakks but they've really got to get some other options together if they want to expand their global orders because it's a very real and widespread complaint. 

DHL Express is as bad as FedEx when dealing with customs, additional handling, fees etc. At least FedEx doesn't  overestimate the value of the package when it comes to sales tax I have to pay. On the other hand FedEx handling fees are a percentage of the value of the package while DHL Express is a fixed fee when it comes to customs so.... 

...I recognize that this is not a problem when living in the US but sometimes I need to vent about this. :p

Edited by Scyla

Oh definitely: I can only take your word on the customs part so wasn't attempting to have any input on it but just stating my personal reasoning for using my preferred sites with particular orders and it boils down to price. In fact, the only service here I've ever had any sort of issue or delay with customs with is USPS. I go out of my way to avoid EMS because of this. Even with that though it's just the fact that customs can be slow as all get out and have never had to pay a fee for stuff I've already paid for. That's crazy. :(

11 minutes ago, Kuma Style said:

Oh definitely: I can only take your word on the customs part so wasn't attempting to have any input on it but just stating my personal reasoning for using my preferred sites with particular orders and it boils down to price. In fact, the only service here I've ever had any sort of issue or delay with customs with is USPS. I go out of my way to avoid EMS because of this. Even with that though it's just the fact that customs can be slow as all get out and have never had to pay a fee for stuff I've already paid for. That's crazy. :(

Paying a sales tax is not that crazy when you think about it.  You don't pay the local sales tax when importing toys so I think it is only reasonable to pay your local sales tax when buying from a different country. I also enjoy the benefit from taxes in my country so I have no issue paying those. Of course it is nice when an item slips through the net and you don't have to add a 20% increase on the already high price. First World problems I guess. :p 

I know that some states in the US have a very low sales tax or no tax at all but since they also have crazy tax laws this is neither here nor there and probably not a topic for this board. ^_^ 

Back to Star Saber he looks stunning and I wonder why Flame Toys decided to post him with the guns firing from the hips like the Freedom/Strike Freedom Gundam. Maybe the wanted to show that they don't care about the critics. If this is the case I recommend them for it. 

From there recent reveals I was also excited about the jetpower Prime. We probably won't get a parts-forming SR-71 for the armor pieces but maybe they can make a cool looking Cybertron jet that takes heavy inspiration from the Blackbird. 

The silhouette for Rodimus looks fine but I don't feel the calf  tires. Since he doesn't have to transform you could come up with a more subtle design like incorporate the wheels into the knee or something like that. 

No input on the model-kit side since I'm not interested in those. I like the Windblade design though so maybe they will do a toy for her based on this design in the Kuro Kara Kuri line. Looking at the Drift kit they seem to like transferring designs back and forth between the lines.