The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

20 minutes ago, Tking22 said:

Wow, seemingly confirmed 50,000 yen per figure for Optimus V3, not per case. Spectacularly, absurdly, easy pass. Holy crap. I wasn't interested anyway before, MP-10 is still perfectly fine and the V3 looks pretty damn goofy IMO, but this clenches it absolutely. Honestly, as far as G1 goes? I'm good. Thanks to various third party I've got the complete season 1 Cons and Autobots and that's all I originally set out to collect, most characters beyond season 1 do very little for me and the movie characters like Arcee and Magnus do nothing for me. I'll just keep my eyes peeled for the next extremely expensive MP Beast Wars announcement I guess .

image.png.49c19446a2689c275e8ecbb615c6e9b3.png

KO version it is, then!

TFSource wants $449, too.

Spectacular overreach on Takara's part, especially with two 3Ps putting out MP-style Primes that look like they'll hit first and IMHO look better (to say nothing of the many people who own and are satisfied with MP-10).  But this does seem like the logical conclusion to Takara's "let's see how much we can get away with" price creep every time a new MP comes out.

3 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

TFSource wants $449, too.

Spectacular overreach on Takara's part, especially with two 3Ps putting out MP-style Primes that look like they'll hit first and IMHO look better (to say nothing of the many people who own and are satisfied with MP-10).  But this does seem like the logical conclusion to Takara's "let's see how much we can get away with" price creep every time a new MP comes out.

I'm not sure how T/T slicing their own throats constitutes a "logical" conclusion, but sure, why not. :p

Almost 600 Cdn with shipping??? Not even if it comes with a sound chip that addresses me BY NAME in Peter Cullen's voice!
Seriously, T/T can get bent while I gleefully await my KO/3rd party figure with improved QC for a fraction of the price.

9 minutes ago, captain america said:

I'm not sure how T/T slicing their own throats constitutes a "logical" conclusion, but sure, why not:p

Not logical as in "this decision is logical," logical as in Takara has been pushing the price of MP's upward in a "let's see how much we can get away with" sort of way with each new release, so one could logically conclude that sooner or later they'd release an MP with a price so absurd that even the most hardcore Takara loyalist can't defend it.

57 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

I’ll wait for Hasbro’s MP-44 price announcement first. :rolleyes:

It’s my planned first Prime figure. But if the price is like that, I’ll pass and stick with Rodimus figures. 8)

I wouldn't hold my breath for a Hasbro version, Hasbro has missed out on many of the latest MP releases and there's no guarantee they will bother with V3 Prime either.

Guess the initial rumor was true, then. Wow, just crazy to price it so high, as it puts it out of reach of many a collector, and that's sad. To those who end up getting it, I hope this thing is on a whole other level of ...everything. :lol:  I'm thinking the KO of this is going to sell like lobster in Maine. I may even have to step into the muddy water of KOs if the design appeals to me after reviews and the KO itself is in a much more realistic price point. For now, though, I'm even more certain that my next MP scaled Prime will be unlicensed.

Price is once again confirmed, $440-460 or so, far more for those in Canada and other countries, those prices were absolutely insane. Also, full accessory list has come out, and surprise, surprise, that's where all the money went, a bunch of useless crap to pad an insane price. Takara knows damn well most collectors won't bother with a lot of this, they did the same with MP-36 and a bunch of useless accessories and electronics for the voice as well. I'd imagine most would want Spike, Roller, his blasters and axe, the trailer, battle damaged bits to match MP-36 and that would probably be just fine.

image.png.1eec10e3894a14007d72f7b127724227.png

I'm excited what Takara could do with Optimus Prime now that there seems to be no more budget restraints in Takaras planning. I probably wait till the Black version comes out since MP-44 has all that stuff that I don't really need. 

It seems like Takara is planning to produce a product on Bandais level let's see if they can pull that off. I was always of the opinion that MPs could be so much better if Takara would be able to put more money into them.

On the other hand every time they tried to push the boundaries something went wrong in the past. MP-09 Rodimus Prime  hat massive issues with the legs. MP-36 Megatron had paint scratch issues. MP Dinobot mis-assembled shoulders, etc. 

Speaking of G1 Megatron I have him and he needs a counterpart so maybe this Prime will be mine regardless of all the extras they put into the box. 

Wow that's even more than I was expecting. The shame of it is people will still eat it up and when they go to transform it the paint will chip off just like every other recent Takara MP release. I wonder if Hasbro will even attempt a US release, maybe if they drop most of the extra accessories they could get it down to $300.

On the bright side I do like the accessories, the battle damage parts were to be expected but the Starscream parts are a fun addition.

I think the major blunder T/T made was to let the price slip before any beauty shots of the final figure with all accessories shown, and with the figure release some 9+ months away. They should have done the opposite.

Why do I say this? Because by dropping a price-bomb like that with no corresponding eye-candy to back it up, most people will just say f*ck this crap and buy the 3P figures--WHICH WILL HIT THE MARKET FIRST!

Those people who already thought the Takara figure price is outrageous have now already spent 100+ on a 3P Prime, so spending $450+ for the Takara just a few months later would be even LESS justifiable. Had they released some slick glam-shots first, there'd at least be a chance that some spell-bound people would wait it out and patiently save for the official release.

This reminds me so much of the whole Disney/Star Wars debacle from just a few months ago. They thought, in their great hubris, that they were too big to fail, they could condescend to the fans with impunity and those fans would just lap-up whatever vomit Disney spewed-forth... And then the Disney/Lucasfilm/Kennedy machine got clobbered at the box-office and the merch sales took a nose-dive. Takara/Tomy may be next in line to discover the Peter Principle.

What's the best toy / model version of Optimus? Preferably transforming. But I saw this version from Toys Alliance coming out soon.

https://www.amiami.com/eng/detail/?gcode=FIGURE-041460

I've never heard of Toys Alliance but the figure looks good yet doesn't transform. There is a review comparison of the older Masterpiece Optimus versions that I was planning to watch. But then I saw the news of the new one on BBTS last night advertised as closer to the cartoon. I thought I would go for that one but jumped back when I saw the price.

Also, I searched and saw that there isn't a Masterpiece version of Jazz. Any other good options? Thanks.

Edited by JetJockey

6 hours ago, captain america said:

I think the major blunder T/T made was to let the price slip before any beauty shots of the final figure with all accessories shown, and with the figure release some 9+ months away. They should have done the opposite.

Why do I say this? Because by dropping a price-bomb like that with no corresponding eye-candy to back it up, most people will just say f*ck this crap and buy the 3P figures--WHICH WILL HIT THE MARKET FIRST!

Those people who already thought the Takara figure price is outrageous have now already spent 100+ on a 3P Prime, so spending $450+ for the Takara just a few months later would be even LESS justifiable. Had they released some slick glam-shots first, there'd at least be a chance that some spell-bound people would wait it out and patiently save for the official release.

This reminds me so much of the whole Disney/Star Wars debacle from just a few months ago. They thought, in their great hubris, that they were too big to fail, they could condescend to the fans with impunity and those fans would just lap-up whatever vomit Disney spewed-forth... And then the Disney/Lucasfilm/Kennedy machine got clobbered at the box-office and the merch sales took a nose-dive. Takara/Tomy may be next in line to discover the Peter Principle.

Damn it. I can only "Like" this post once.

8 hours ago, JetJockey said:

What's the best toy / model version of Optimus? Preferably transforming.

Also, I searched and saw that there isn't a Masterpiece version of Jazz. Any other good options? Thanks.

At this particular moment, MP-10 for Optimus. However, there are two unlicensed third party Optimuses (Optimi?) that will be out soon, and MP-44 will be out in August. Mind you, that's just for G1. There are many other 3P Optimus if you're into the Bayverse movies, IDW, G2, etc.

As for Jazz, you have three options, all unlicensed, which is why tekering suggested asking there.

EDIT- just visited TFW... yeesh. While there are some people who are pretty rational about buying MP-44, there are way too many taking offense at "negativity" by people who are dating to suggest that MP-44 isn't worth it. And the stunning leaps of illogic and rationalization in their defense of Takara's pricing may have permanently lowered my IQ.

Edited by mikeszekely

Looks like some sites are putting up the MP-44 price with the early bird/pre-order discount. Definitely takes some of the sting off, but that's still one damn pricey Optimus. Still a pass for me, but those interested, THIS is your chance to get it at a somewhat, if you squint real hard, decent price. Otherwise, like with MP-36, if you miss the pre-orders on these sites you'll be paying the crazy US prices, since this will ABSOLUTELY sell out at this price and at every site that has an early bird bonus price, like with MP-36, leaving only the crazily priced US sites with stock.

image.thumb.png.b0bf1e5f6f04705f16a9e6a46d587842.png

Official pix

Love the head, but they forgot the grey/silver stripe along the truck cab--no doubt something they will milk with a later release.) Yay for the optional heads, but the trailer is a huge disappointment. Seriously, I just want Prime, the season 1 head and his blaster. Everything else is good for the recycling bin.

33c4e39a-53dd-45b7-9e71-9cb389f70284.jpg

9e6e21a7-cba5-41a8-bfaf-429036d5cf67.jpg

5b972597-89ed-4088-b4dd-8e276b97a187.jpg

6a5b9618-3a71-4c9a-900f-9892d1e0e778.jpg

4c8df684-8c43-41db-a6c1-1c89d9ba4a42.jpg

927dca81-a19b-44f5-af40-c478028c4e77.jpg

5accf985-d0e2-42ec-a4a9-a9d92588d9ec.jpg

195a4c5e-33bc-405b-8c3a-263263ac2ec6.jpg

4760c689-6597-4e03-beaa-5283423c439a.jpg

Edited by captain america

No silver stripe on truck?  No silver accents for steps/grab-bars/wipers/nameplate etc?  Super-easy pass, it's another "let's make a real-world alt-mode, as simplistic and fake-looking as possible, because CARTOON UBER ALLES".   Yeesh.  Probably no tail-lights, either, going by Prime's toes. 

33 minutes ago, David Hingtgen said:

No silver stripe on truck?  No silver accents for steps/grab-bars/wipers/nameplate etc?  Super-easy pass, it's another "let's make a real-world alt-mode, as simplistic and fake-looking as possible, because CARTOON UBER ALLES".   Yeesh.  Probably no tail-lights, either, going by Prime's toes. 

In fairness, the silver stripe isn't there 95% of the time in the animation. I do agree with you that the grab-bars, wipers and smaller details should have been silver, if only to give the truck a little extra detail. It looks very incomplete without those little highlighted details, don't you think?

Regardless, I think Takara did a reasonably good job with the overall aesthetics, save for the kibbly stuff on the top of the chest/shoulders and back of the knees which gives him a hint of Bayverse. The Transform Element figure looks much cleaner in that respect. Maybe I'll just put the Masterpiece head on the TE Prime and have the best of both worlds.

Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 7.29.32 PM.png

Edited by captain america

28 minutes ago, David Hingtgen said:

I believe V3's tail-lights are on the heels, although traditionally, they should be on the toes. But, toon accuracy.

1 hour ago, Alex GS said:

Are they retracting of the initial price ? 

New updated images , still after seeing all images now way in hell well at least for me it justifies that ridiculous previous price tag, I hope for reasonable price, also whats the deal with that big backpack? 

image.png.cc0832208309191a19815799b8f30138.png

Not a price retraction; many overseas retailers offer a lower preorder price for a particular period before the release date. As for the backpack, the cab of the truck is formed by folding panels which cover Prime's upper torso so that more detail can be added to the truck mode while maintaining the flat, undetailed toon accurate look of the bot mode. Essentially, he's what we refer to as a shell-former.

48 minutes ago, M'Kyuun said:

I believe V3's tail-lights are on the heels, although traditionally, they should be on the toes. But, toon accuracy.

Not a price retraction; many overseas retailers offer a lower preorder price for a particular period before the release date. As for the backpack, the cab of the truck is formed by folding panels which cover Prime's upper torso so that more detail can be added to the truck mode while maintaining the flat, undetailed toon accurate look of the bot mode. Essentially, he's what we refer to as a shell-former.

After seeing the pictures of the anime and figure are indeed accurate but not if you are seeing it from the back:

image.png.678dce4af77f525406035e57697563dd.png

image.png.42214718d305b08df5790b47a000b04a.png

It looks like a big hunch , maybe that thing is detachable or something I hope, also in my opinion this doesn't look like it fits the Masterpiece line i looks like it can be a total new toy line  a more cartoon oriented line, cause for me still the MP 10 looks more evolve than this.