The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

If you're going to display him in alt mode, don't sticker him. Nothing wrong with having a black Countach.

And if you're going to display him in bot mode, also don't sticker him. I dunno why David thinks G2 Sideswipe has to have neon green stickers just because the G2 toy that practically no one owned did. The definitive G2 Sideswipe is the old Marvel comics version, so what you really need is that Dr Wu bandolier.

Because a non-stickered black Sideswipe is then the uber-rare black Diaclone version, not G2. G2 is defined by neon colors.

Because a non-stickered black Sideswipe is then the uber-rare black Diaclone version, not G2. G2 is defined by neon colors.

For the toy line, yes. But if your only experience with G2 characters was defined by the Marvel comic book (which was my case) then he didn't have any neon green. What he had was big guns, spiked tires on his shoulders, and an exaggerated sneer... things that the MP has that the G1 toy didn't. Ergo, he's the comic version, and neon green stickers are no longer accurate.

Edited by mikeszekely

Put them on. Or use Reprolabels' version. G2 Sideswipe MUST have neon green stickers all over.

For the toy line, yes. But if your only experience with G2 characters was defined by the Marvel comic book (which was my case) then he didn't have any neon green. What he had was big guns, spiked tires on his shoulders, and an exaggerated sneer... things that the MP has that the G1 toy didn't. Ergo, he's the comic version, and neon green stickers are no longer accurate.

I back mikeszekely. Marvel comic G2 Sideswipe is where it's at.

Quick opinion question: I just got an MP G2 sideswipe and can't decide if I should put the stickers on. I like the whole goofy G2 thing but I also like how good the car mode looks plain.

Can never get the urge or motivation to sticker mine up.

Agreed with JB0 to get a second one if you really want the G2 deco.

on the subject of just get a second one, how are the $30 KO's on amazon?

No personal experience, but from what I understand it varies wildly. The original Sideswipe was supposed to be flawless, Wheeljack and Prowl's paint wasn't as neat but was pretty close. Blue Bluestreak and/or Smokescreen were a hot mess. Not sure about G2 Sideswipe, but it might be worth rolling the dice on, especially if it's the one you're leaving in alt mode. If there's paint issues, you could probably touch it up yourself.

Fortunately, the big City-formers never really interested me, so money saved there. I wish Takara would release a pic of their deco for the upcoming Powermaster Prime. The Hasbro is ok, but I think I'll hold out to see the TT version. I already PO's TT's Blurr, as the Hasbro just looks like a solid lump of blue plastic; it stands in stark contrast, more than any other figure I've seen this year, to the Takara version. For the majority of figs, I wish Hasbro just released the Takara paint scheme on figs. If they're all deco'ed the same way, I would think it'd be cheaper than producing two variants of the same toy.

No personal experience, but from what I understand it varies wildly. The original Sideswipe was supposed to be flawless,

Oh no no no no no. The boards were aflame with people ticked at all the issues with MP Sideswipe's paint. Me included. Good ones are rare, and which version you buy has very little bearing. There are flawless first releases, and there are flawless KO's. But there are a ton more awful first and second releases, and early and late KO's. No MP has more common, nor as severe, paint issues as Sideswipe.

Early KO Sideswipes have some issues with the tampo-printing, but that is independent of the actual paint.

Ironically, most late KO's seem to have better-aligned insignias than the real ones. (true for Sideswipe and Tracks, possibly the Datsuns too)

KO Sideswipes also have the "fixed" eyes/facesculpt, based on the Red Alert release. I'm not sure if 2nd or 3rd release real ones do. But no first release one does of course. (I've often wanted to buy a KO Sideswipe head just for the face, but they're not cheap enough for just that)

If some day a US release of Sideswipe comes out, with really good paint, I'll likely replace my JP release.

Oh no no no no no. The boards were aflame with people ticked at all the issues with MP Sideswipe's paint. Me included. Good ones are rare, and which version you buy has very little bearing. There are flawless first releases, and there are flawless KO's. But there are a ton more awful first and second releases, and early and late KO's. No MP has more common, nor as severe, paint issues as Sideswipe.

Early KO Sideswipes have some issues with the tampo-printing, but that is independent of the actual paint.

Ironically, most late KO's seem to have better-aligned insignias than the real ones. (true for Sideswipe and Tracks, possibly the Datsuns too)

KO Sideswipes also have the "fixed" eyes/facesculpt, based on the Red Alert release. I'm not sure if 2nd or 3rd release real ones do. But no first release one does of course. (I've often wanted to buy a KO Sideswipe head just for the face, but they're not cheap enough for just that)

If some day a US release of Sideswipe comes out, with really good paint, I'll likely replace my JP release.

Don't misunderstand; I was only speaking of KOs. When I say "the original Sideswipe was supposed to be flawless" I mean the KO of the first MP car, not the first run of Takara Sideswipes. I meant to inform that the KO of Sideswipe is well-regarded, while KOs of more recent cars have serious issues.

Don't misunderstand; I was only speaking of KOs. When I say "the original Sideswipe was supposed to be flawless" I mean the KO of the first MP car, not the first run of Takara Sideswipes. I meant to inform that the KO of Sideswipe is well-regarded, while KOs of more recent cars have serious issues.

In what way? KO Tracks seems superior to real Tracks in every way. I'm kinda annoyed, to the point of considering selling my Takara to buy a KO.

KO Sideswipe is the only I know of to have notable issues consistently, and only the early ones. Everything else is same "luck of the draw" as a Takara AFAIK.

PS----Sideswipe's paint job (or lack of it) is still a huge sore spot for me. My fave Autobot, period, and his alt-mode is basically ruined by all sorts of paint issues---especially ironic with the much-touted "perfectly matched to official Lambo specs" color. Yet it's still very inconsistent panel to panel because it's so poorly and thinly applied.

MP Inferno

attachicon.gifS__7520261.jpg

I don't understand, why the stickers Takara why? *sob* Even the combiner limbs from Takara have more paint applications than the Masterpieces. I don't understand.

It seems like the ladder folds up to be stored inside the cab which is mighty nice. Although they might get flag from many collectors since they seem to be keen on huge ladders. ^_^ I wonder if the inevitable Grapple will also be able to store the crane in a similar fashion. I'm not buying this but I might be interested in one of the repaints with a crane.

In what way? KO Tracks seems superior to real Tracks in every way. I'm kinda annoyed, to the point of considering selling my Takara to buy a KO.

<snip>

I can confirm that there is a lot of good in the KO version as I have both it and the official Takara MP Tracks (I was curious after reading about the KO's improvements). And as a transforming toy, I do agree that KO Tracks is better. The locking tabs are improved, the joints aren't as loosey-goosey, and I do appreciate those rubber tires.

The one area that is luck of the draw is the paint. My copy has one smudge spot on the hood of the car, and some imperfections on a couple of the painted wheels. I want to take a closer look at the wheels later to see if there is an alignment issue with the tires, but these are minor issues for me.

The only other KO I have at the moment is Exhaust, and Tracks improves on that. As an aside, I consider Exhaust a safe KO release too.

Well, maybe I misheard. I knew KO Sideswipe had since paint issues, but heard they were no worse than the Takara's, and I heard that KO Tracks paint issues were much worse than seems to be your experience.

If the price was higher, I might be more picky about the paint. I'll try to post some lousy cell phone photos this evening or tomorrow. I think there is enough of a quality variance between each KO release that it's better to wait and see, or just stick with the official version, but when a good one comes out it is a bummer to see what Takara might have done in some parallel universe.

Edited by technoblue

MP Inferno actually looks much better in color, that grey proto-type didn't look very good. Damn, I'm on the fence now, Backdraft was supposedly releasing soon, and he still looks fantastic, but Takara has actually impressed me with these new pictures of official Inferno.

Finally!! a North America release!!!

From TFW2005

Thanks to the Transformers Facebook page and Shout! Factory’s Twitter handle, we’ve learned that the 1986 animated film, Transformers: The Movie, will be remastered and released on September 13, 2016! From the Transformers Facebook page:

Some things just get better with age. 30 years later, The Transformers: The Movie is back, and it’s completely remastered. Pick it up this September.

This release celebrates the 30th anniversary of the film and marks the very first time the movie will be released in high definition on Blu-ray! The discussion thread is already lighting up with excitement, share your thoughts as well!

http://news.tfw2005.com/2016/06/09/transformers-movie-1986-remastered-release-coming-september-316790

MP Inferno actually looks much better in color, that grey proto-type didn't look very good. Damn, I'm on the fence now, Backdraft was supposedly releasing soon, and he still looks fantastic, but Takara has actually impressed me with these new pictures of official Inferno.

You can still go MMC for Inferno and than buy a Takara Grapple (that is my plan). Thus you get to experience two different molds for two characters that would share a mold if you'd buy them from one manufacturer.

You can still go MMC for Inferno and than buy a Takara Grapple (that is my plan). Thus you get to experience two different molds for two characters that would share a mold if you'd buy them from one manufacturer.

That sounds like the best plan. Based on the photo of TT Inferno holding TT Red Alert, and some reference photos of TT Ironhide holding Red Alert, I think TT Inferno will be shorter then Backdraft. Which means TT Grapple should be shorter then Backdraft as well, which in my opinion would work better for him then Inferno, I always pictured Grapple as shorter and more squat.

Painted or not, MP Inferno's legs still look boring, and I still think striving to look like a Sunbow animation model is a mistake. IF I were collecting MPs, I'd probably go with MMC for Inferno and Maketoys for Grapple. Takara needs to go back to the drawing board. I don't think they've released an MP I've liked since Wheeljack.

Which brings me to Thrust. He was my favorite of the coneheads back in the day, and I get that having his wings sort of hang out on the backs of his legs is both 'toon and toy accurate... but I hate it. Flipping them around the way the Game of Decepticons set did looks so much better that, again, if I were into MP I'd probably go with the iGear.

I think star saber is pretty cool, and he came out after wheeljack.

I'm even crazier, I liked Tracks so much I bought Road Rage too :lol:. I'm probably gonna do the Scyla masterplan of buying MMC Backdraft and Takara Grapple.

I'm not gonna reply upon that post!

Oh, now I did. <_<

Quick question do you have MP Star Saber?

yes I do, I just bought him recently. I like him.

Edited by anime52k8