The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

Harmony Gold is suing Hasbro over the SDCC GI Joe / Transformers crossover set with the Jetfire Skystriker.

Good luck with that one.

Now Hasbro fans can join us Macross and Mechwarrior-fans. Welcomed to the club. :rolleyes:

Looks like Starsaber is winning the 30th fan poll for getting a masterpiece! That's really exciting. I really don't want another prime, or some mini-fort max. I could have voted in this thing but I haven't taken the time! haha.

970280_10151842860009715_2015097867_n_13

714px-G1_StarSaber_toy.jpg

God damn that would be boss to have an updated version.

I'd buy two easy haha

Looks like Starsaber is winning the 30th fan poll for getting a masterpiece! That's really exciting. I really don't want another prime, or some mini-fort max. I could have voted in this thing but I haven't taken the time! haha.

970280_10151842860009715_2015097867_n_13

I would have liked the order of the top 3 reversed, but it's not a bad top 3. MP Dai atlas man...

Masterpiece soundwave is in TRUs in southern CA now. I know because I walked into one and tried to buy one and was told some CHP office had just purchased all of the stock at the store I was at. That's twice now I've missed it by minutes. Sounds like they're not out yet in Northern CA.

Well the fun thing about this is people finally know the terms of the agreement between Tatsunoko and Harmony Gold and exactly how long the license is for:

Sept 11th 1984 Tatsunoko grants license to HG for 7 years, so until 1991

Mar 15th 1991 Tatsunoko grants license to HG for 10 years, so until 2001

Aug 6th 1998 Tatsunoko amends license agreement until 2011

Mar 20th 2008 Tatsunoko amends license agreement until 2021

So there goes the theory that the license is indefinite or that they "sold" the property to Harmony Gold. It's still a limited term license. Yes, than can renew it forever if they want to, but they don't have to.

Now all the HG arguments can be fought with clearer knowledge! Hooray!

Edited by Ginrai

Meanwhile, those who are waiting for this exclusive Jetfire/Hound to come on Hasbro Toy Store are watching those prices on ebay skyrocket. Whae does HG hope to gain? $$$Money$$$? Why dont they make some quality toys to make money instead trying to legally steal other people's money? Oh wait they already did that with Toynami... they stole a lot of people money with the MPCs. :rolleyes:

Harmony Gold is a private company, it's possible Tatsunoko has an investment in them. If that's the case, licensing the rights to the related party essentially allows Tatsunoko the greatest possible returns on the license. Alternatively, it could just be a case of HG being the only one that is interested.

EDIT - This conversation should not be happening in the Transformers thread.

Edited by jenius

I Already posted this in the SDCC thread, but HTS is not getting the TF/GIjoe cross over sets.

The remaining sets were sold to Fun Publications, and they are having a lottery to sell the remaining units

to club members.

So if that's what you want from HTS, don't bother.

I really really like Acid storm. I wish he had a bit more yellow on his legs and arms, but he really pops!

y8pIThV.jpg
nRcvNR6.jpg

Seriously Hasbro, green on the engines?

at the very least I would have liked the person taping the box not to have a seizure and tape the cardboard flaps down together. How hard is it to put a box in a box?

I sent my complaint. Will see what happens. Here's the address in case someone else' box is thrashed: guestservicessocial@toysrus.com

Edited by Negotiator

I know lots of symbols are used throughout the East and I confirmed with a Japanese friend that the symbols mean "Masterpiece". I didn't confirm what language they were in. I think Hasbro wants to just better differentiate their real expensive toys from their more standard releases.

Good news, Soundwave is A-OK.

Overall impression: This is possibly the best thing Hasbro has ever put on store shelves.

To run down the differences between the hasbro and takara release:

Yellow eyes

missing paint app on the foot doors

A "CE" certification marking on the outside of his right leg

The cassette cases are uncolored clear instead of the pinkish-purple.

The Hasbro version uses silver screws while the Takara version uses black painted screws.

Everything else is identical as far as I can tell. The blue plastic and the sliver/gold paint are exactly the same.

QC on the whole package seems equal to or better than my Takara version. The Faces are perfect on both my Takara and my Hasbro versions. The only paint issue on the Hasbro is some unevenness in the silver paint on his right knee. the vac-chrome is better on the Hasbro though. joints feel overall the same. the forward ratchet on the hips feel excessively tight on the hasbro version but the in/out swivel is smoother.

As for the tapes, I only have the Laserbeak from Takara but I think the US version turned out overall better in my case. The Hasbro has a couple small blemishes in the face of the tape mode but is otherwise perfect and the transformation is much smoother. On my Takara version, the first Laserbeak was so stiff and paint stuck that one of the backpack halves sheared off on the second transformation to bird mode. The replacement I got was better but still stiff as hell, it also had a visible fingerprint on one of the wings in addition to some nasty paint transfer from being put into tape mode and packaged while the paint was still soft. None of those issues show up on the Hasbro version.

Rumble, Frenzy and Buzzsaw are all excellent paint wise as well (particularly impressive on Buzzsaw since he's mostly bright yellow on black plastic which almost never works right). Ravage is the only one I have any issues with; the silver paint on the tape face is uneven and thin in spots. This is more a general mold thing than a Hasbro vs. Takara thing but I find Ravage to be the weakest of the cassette-bots. He's the gappiest, least convincing tape mode both front and back. In Jaguar mode he ends up less pose-able than Rumble/Frenzy while not being nearly as good looking a static piece as Laserbeak/Buzzsaw.

BTW, has anyone else noticed that the Rumble/Frenzy in tape mode are a little bit larger than other cassettes? They're really tight in Soundwaves chest cavity so they tend to jam up the multi-tape gimmick if you don't put them in the front. this happens on both the takara and hasbro versions.

Anyways: soundwave is so god damn 80's

IMG_2749_zps4bc568e6.jpg

Edited by anime52k8

Did an acid storm review if anybody is interested.

Yeah both of my boxes were fine. My Soundwave was pristine. I think it was an issue with the UPS once it got to their distribution. The ones on the bottom got crushed and the ones on top were fine.

Edited by Gakken85

Did an acid storm review if anybody is interested.

Yeah both of my boxes were fine. My Soundwave was pristine. I think it was an issue with the UPS once it got to their distribution. The ones on the bottom got crushed and the ones on top were fine.

IMO If TRU knew how to pack a box half decently it wouldn't have been a problem. <_<

Appreciate the review, it look like a very nice fig. I don't have any MP seekers old or new yet.

Will disagree on the UPS comment. Out of the 2 times I've ordered MPs from TRU, both boxes have been thrashed.

Cant remember a time I've received anything else from UPS that looks like some guys were body slamming each other on top of the boxes.

Appreciate the review, it look like a very nice fig. I don't have any MP seekers old or new yet.

Will disagree on the UPS comment. Out of the 2 times I've ordered MPs from TRU, both boxes have been thrashed.

Cant remember a time I've received anything else from UPS that looks like some guys were body slamming each other on top of the boxes.

I only say that because my post office is really good about things.

I know that UPS drops them off at USPS in a big wrapped pallet, then they have to be sorted.

It could have happened anywhere I guess, but yeah they weren't packaged properly at all. Guess I got lucky.

I talk about it a bit on the video.

Edited by Gakken85

I wish they'd do another Hasbro US Starscream on the revised mold... I am tossing back and forth on Soundwave. If I see it, I probably won't resist. I think I'll just stay away from TRU.