DX VF-25 Renewal Series (Part III)

UN Spacy

I haven't done a 25 yet, but the 29 was very easy to do a wash on and I think it came up great! Definitely worth a try. I've been using acrylics lately, mixed with water and a tiny bit of dish soap to break the tension. If you don't like it, wipe it off with windex and you're back to a clean slate.

Pics:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks for the tips, mike! I'll practice on action bases and gundam kits first to work up the courage! XD

I'm sure they would work very well. I used them when I first started playing with customising and modifying toys but found in many cases, they were too stark. For the Isamu 29 for instance, black and even grey pens would be too dark for me. That's one of the reasons I decided to give the acrylics a try. I had a ton of Tamiya and Gunze acrylic paints for models and discovered "Radome" was about a perfect match for the plastic on the 29. Adding a small amount of gray to the tan makes it just dark enough to be noticeable, but not so dark it sticks out.

AAAAnywaaaaay.... When are they going to announce a 25G reissue?

All you folks waiting for a VF-25G re-issue (which will undoubtedly happen - sometime) should be picking up his super parts while they are still cheap

(if you think you might want them)

Nippon Yasan still selling them for 7k Yen.

I have a set, but still haven't stuck them on him for some reason. :blink:

Yep. Blue Supers and Tornado just sitting here. They were the cheapest frontier packs I have purchased so far at the time I got them. They look great on the YF-25, though. I still get some swooshing in.

Had some time this evening, so I decided to try panel lining on these. For the record...EASIEST thing EVER! The glossy plastic makes it super easy and forgiving....don't be scared guys! I'll post finished pics later.

post-11393-0-19436600-1426807256_thumb.jpg

Edited by derex3592

Guest davidwhangchoi

Bout an hour. Top and bottom. Looks good! Gonna add some extra trimmed stickers for some extra detail later...

stop making us envy! very nice

Had some time this evening, so I decided to try panel lining on these. For the record...EASIEST thing EVER! The glossy plastic makes it super easy and forgiving....don't be scared guys! I'll post finished pics later.

I always wanted to buy that wash ever since jefuemon recommended that.

Damn, those look nice.

So you just take a very very fine brush, and dab some of the ink and let it run down the line, then wipe down the excess? Do you coat it thereafter?

Does it bleed when you top coat it?

Might wanna try it if i'm feeling adventurous

Damn, those look nice.

So you just take a very very fine brush, and dab some of the ink and let it run down the line, then wipe down the excess? Do you coat it thereafter?

for glossy finish this will work. you can use a very thinned oil or acrylic paint. once dry, use a little bit of applicable thinner in a cloth (very little to reactivate the paint in the surface) and lightly clean the surface.

the one used by derex though is something sold in UK and is actually a clay suspended in thinner (might be water), once dry, you only need water to reactivate everything.

Damn, those look nice.

You need a fine point paint brush, (red sable, not something cheap) I have one for putting on the wash and another smaller flatter one for any small areas I want to clean up. All I do is basically trace over the panel lines, don't worry about being too neat (on the flat finish of Yamato's 1:60 ver2 you have to be a bit more careful as the wash will discolor the pure white areas if you leave it on to long, which can be cool if you are going for a really weathered look). Then after a couple of minutes, take a dry or just barely moist piece of paper towel, (or lick your finger) and wipe away the excess wash. Lick the cleanup brush to get into tight areas to clean up. As the Pro-Modelers wash is clay based, any time I want to revert back to the original look, just grab a wet Q-tip or something and go for it. Presto --100% clean pretty Valk. These are great to learn on. As I said, the Yamato's are trickier. The VF-4 was a royal pain, but came out great. I don't clear coat them as I'm lazy. Then add stickers if you want.

Edited by derex3592

I'm not going to bother with the OD. It's a real flat paint job, and the charcoal grey lines won't show up much at all on that DARK ASS blue...(Thanks Arcadia) :p I did my Max 1S and the Virgin Road and the result wasn't really worth the effort.

ohh and if it helps ONE bottle of the Dark Dirt Wash (since 2009-ish, so it keeps perfectly well) has done over 18 VF-1's 3 Toynami Alpha's and Beta's and some plastic model kits, so it will last you a good long time!

Edited by derex3592

It's just not the dark colour, its that Arcadia has ridiculously shallow and fine panel lines that won't hold any wash at all! It started with some of the V2 1/60 VT-1 and just got worst from there on. The YF-19 panel lines are so inconsistent and fine even across the same panel that you need a Mechanical Pencil to draw on them - the washes just don't work well on the newer Arcadia stuff.

Recently splurged and picked up a set of super parts for Alto's VF-25F (and knowing my luck that'll mean we'll hear about a reissue any day now, haha). Arrived yesterday, much to my delight! This is my very first set of supers for the 25 series.

Is there anything I should be particularly careful of when I putting the parts onto the valk? I have a tendency to screw something up whenever I'm attaching an unfamiliar set of supers for the first time; I love my 25F and I really want to make sure I don't mess it up somehow!

Only the things that you have to remove. The hip guns and the plates next to the head can be tricky, so make sure you're supporting everything sufficiently when pulling them off, so you aren't stabbing yourself or smacking something when the part "gives" as you pull it.

Also, the backpack sensor probe is ridiculously sharp so don't stab yourself, and be careful you don't bend it when you're handling it or putting it on/taking it off.