DX VF-25 Renewal Series (Part III)

UN Spacy

22 hours ago, QEssential said:

I've got the first batch of the renewals. I'll try to post a pic of the yellowing. 

Thanks. Just want to confirm since what I have is a first release reissue one that I got before from Mandarake. And so far it doesn't have some yellowing... yet.

Sucks to read about any of the Renewals yellowing.

I have (3) 25F's on display and none of showed any signs - 2 covered in various armor and 1 in plain Battroid. A couple have spent time 'out' when I lived in FL and one was opened after I moved back to MI.

Gave a quick once-over to my 25G, S and RVF and all good there too.

-b.

So I didn't take note when I first took it out 3-4 months back but now upon inspection, I can spot some slight yellowing at the shoulder armour and the part near the intakes.

I've kept this out of direct sunlight all this while. 

IMG_0079.JPG

IMG_0080.JPG

Edited by eXis10z

Are you certain that it wasn't painted that way from the start? Bandai often doesn't color match very well between the plastic and painted parts. Out of the box, for both my original release and re-issue versions, the white of the head lasers were more of an off-white that didn't match the white of the valk. Under my lighting, the painted parts look fine though. I don't know if there's some variance in the color between batches or if the paint on yours really did change color. It seems kind of strange if it was the paint that changed color before the plastic, though, when it wasn't really exposed to anything.

6 hours ago, MacrossJunkie said:

Are you certain that it wasn't painted that way from the start? Bandai often doesn't color match very well between the plastic and painted parts. Out of the box, for both my original release and re-issue versions, the white of the head lasers were more of an off-white that didn't match the white of the valk. Under my lighting, the painted parts look fine though. I don't know if there's some variance in the color between batches or if the paint on yours really did change color. It seems kind of strange if it was the paint that changed color before the plastic, though, when it wasn't really exposed to anything.

As mentioned I hadn't really noticed when I first took it out. There is a chance it really is this color from the beginning.

Ooh. Ouch. I have to check mine next weekend. Seeing the metal intake area, I remember mine is having that kind of 'white' color too last time I checked. And that was months ago. Have to re-check again if that's 'yellowing' going on on the metal parts.

Looked at 4 of my 6 25Fs and they don't exhibit any noticeable yellowing. As already noted the head lasers are a slightly different white plastic from the rest of the craft. 

The last two are still sealed. 

These reports of yellowing have compelled me to start work on at least one of them, a task I've been putting off for about... 5 years. :huh:

2 minutes ago, Xigfrid said:

enphily: That's some serious yellowing, have you tried to clean the yellow parts with an electric teeth brush + toothpaste? I had my Yamato VF-1J back to white using this.

No, i didn't. And i'm little scared to do this, because i think it can damage paint. But i'll try, thank you for your idea:)

Yeah, you might damage the tampo printing. Bandai's tampo is not exactly the most durable, especially combined with the slick plastic they had been using until starting with the YF-30. Speaking of which, if you use the toothpaste to scour the surface, you'll likely notice that the surface will end up looking less reflective than the parts you didn't scour due to all the micro-abrasions. It wouldn't be noticeable on textured plastic, but on the smooth glossy plastic of the renewals, I'm certain it would be.

Edited by MacrossJunkie

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, it's the bottom front joint. The one on the right is cracked on both sides. The one on the left has cracked on only one side.

Right one is my first 25F so it's the one that's been played with and transformed the most. The left one has only been transformed once or twice.

EDIT: Whoops, got them reversed. Left one is my original, right is the newer one.

Edited by Lolicon

13 hours ago, Lolicon said:

So I did some disassembly on a couple of my 25Fs and found that the joint holding the neck up had started cracking. Just FYI for everyone.

VF-25F break.jpg

The same thing happened on my original 25F and Alto YF-29. Noticed it a couple years back. I had to do my best to try to fix it. If I see any other ones like that, I'll use the bottle of Plastruct Weld I got recently to bond the ABS back together.

17 minutes ago, mog_kupo said:

I posted it on the Megaroad topic but may as well ask here sine its Frontier related, a new series based on Frontier?

Vague info as of now: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/44495-new-macross-tv-series-in-2018/ Could be anything not just Frontier as it has all main valks from each series in the teaser above (except Macross II).

Edited by wmkjr

On 12/02/2017 at 2:04 PM, eXis10z said:

So I didn't take note when I first took it out 3-4 months back but now upon inspection, I can spot some slight yellowing at the shoulder armour and the part near the intakes.

I've kept this out of direct sunlight all this while. 

IMG_0079.JPG

IMG_0080.JPG

Went to check up on mine again. The paint seems to have yellowed more. Since mine is out of direct sunlight's reach I'm unsure what's causing it.