DX VF-25 Renewal Series (Part III)

UN Spacy

That's phenomenal work MacrossJunkie!! I hope to try to emulate that when my VF-25G finally comes in, but I still don't understand how you get the Tamiya stuff to stick to the slippery plastic. Thanks for the images, I will save them to try and emulate it (its really because of you that I'm starting to collect toys now that I don't have time to build models anymore... you're bad for my wallet!). Do you have of the Yamato 1/60 VF-11B that you've weathered in this way? I'd love to see those too.

That's phenomenal work MacrossJunkie!! I hope to try to emulate that when my VF-25G finally comes in, but I still don't understand how you get the Tamiya stuff to stick to the slippery plastic. Thanks for the images, I will save them to try and emulate it (its really because of you that I'm starting to collect toys now that I don't have time to build models anymore... you're bad for my wallet!). Do you have of the Yamato 1/60 VF-11B that you've weathered in this way? I'd love to see those too.

Haha, I think this entire site is bad for people's wallets in general, but I'm glad I could contribute in some small way ;)

It's very hard to get it to stick to the plastic that Bandai uses using the brush end of the applicator. You really have to coat it with Future or some other clear coat in order to be able to drybrush it on to any noticable degree. The foam applicator is easier to apply, but the effect is completely different from the brush. I tried making a video while I was doing the armor pieces to show how exactly I was doing the weathering, but the lighting in my study is too dim and it came out poorly. Plus I don't have any video editing software to cut and stitch together separate clips.

I do have pics of my VF-11B (and C). I think I've slowly improved and discovered new ways to do things so my B isn't as good as it ought to be as it was from pretty early on. The weathering was done entirely with the foam applicator and my fingers. At the time, I didn't figure out how to use the brush side properly and was thinking what good is this? It wasn't even until this year when I discovered how to use it to good effect, so I'm a pretty slow learner :p

Instead of trying to find where I posted it on the forums, it's probably easier to just click on the link in my sig which goes to my picasa gallery where I upload all my Macross toy photos to and where I link my pics from.

I guess the clear coat is the key eh? If you were going to clear coat the valk anyways, wouldn't a dull/flat/matte clearcoat be easier to "dry brush" the effects like armor models instead of the glossy future which would have to be dulled down in the end?

Great pictures by the way - congrats on the best looking toy collection I've seen!

I guess the clear coat is the key eh? If you were going to clear coat the valk anyways, wouldn't a dull/flat/matte clearcoat be easier to "dry brush" the effects like armor models instead of the glossy future which would have to be dulled down in the end?

Great pictures by the way - congrats on the best looking toy collection I've seen!

Thanks!

As far as why I use the gloss coats first, the weathering powder gets picked up a little too easily on the dull coats (can accidentally make the effect too heavy) and is a lot harder to clean off if you mess up due to the rougher surface. With the gloss coated surface, I feel it gives me more control and I can build it up in layers as needed and is a lot easier to clean up mistakes (I mess up a lot!). Like doing it once, sealing it in with a gloss coat, seeing how it looks and deciding where it needs more work, adding more, then sealing it in again. Rinse & repeat as needed. If done with the flat coats, multiple layers of that may end up making something too light/white-ish, while it's not a problem with just plain Future with no flat additives. It's certainly more work, but I think the end result is worth it.

But that's just my personal preference and what I've learned through experimentation. If you're not having much luck getting the powders to stay on the gloss coating, try it with maybe a semi-gloss (some flat base added, should look a bit cloudy/foggy, but not milky) next so that it has some extra texture but still allow for additional layers as needed without adversely affecting the overall look too noticably. I'd probably try it on an old toy/model or piece of spare plastic first to see what works best for you.

You know, it's an absolutely last ditch solution, but you'd be surprised what Windows Movie Maker can actually accomplish with some practice. I've pieced together some small clips to try something on there before, so you might give that a try if you can.

I'll have a look. Thanks for the suggestion.

Edited by MacrossJunkie

I needed to share this pics :3 maybe the best pilots in all the series covering their backs

Maximum damage taken:

Ozma Lee, One booster exploded by covering with his back a vajra major attack to the quarter´s command center

- (Almost killed by close and direct hit from an angry Vajra)

гг Иванов, 3 or 4 bullets in the arm, in an big effort of Roy Focker himself riding a VF-0s Armored Valkyrie

- (Killed in a hand to hand vs... AFOS !!! "torino hito")

270504_4598280591983_1641397205_n.jpg

Edited by Drackie

• 2 weeks later...

When the first renewal VF-25F was released my friend in Japan told me he expected renewal version of all the parts, including the Tornado parts. Will he be right? Time will tell... but I suspect he nailed it.

of course that all the packs are needed, because the figures are different, even things like the galia pack will need to be released again :3 , well i suppose, if dont, the new figures will be incomplete... in fact, i really expect that more packs and things will be released than the original version

(like the ozma tornado pack of the game and things like that)

Edited by Drackie

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I needed to share this pics :3 maybe the best pilots in all the series covering their backs

Maximum damage taken:

Ozma Lee, One booster exploded by covering with his back a vajra major attack to the quarter´s command center

- (Almost killed by close and direct hit from an angry Vajra)

гг Иванов, 3 or 4 bullets in the arm, in an big effort of Roy Focker himself riding a VF-0s Armored Valkyrie

- (Killed in a hand to hand vs... AFOS !!! "torino hito")

270504_4598280591983_1641397205_n.jpg

I love that pic good choice of modes they compliment each other

Problem is do they really GO for those prices or do people just try to sell them at those prices?

Chris

IMO the only way to gauge true value of something is to see a completed auction price that started at 99 cents w/o reserve. Those BIN auctions with outrageous prices cater to window shoppers where money is no object or who have done little homework.

Edited by grymg

These things cost alot because they are so rare. The japanese exchange rate doesn't help either. It's around 80-82 so the retail of 14800 already turns to 180.

I was lucky to score mine at 16800 yen O_o ($204)

Compare this to the days of the 1/48 Yammie, which also retailed for 14800. During that time, the dollar was 120 yen, so 1/48 yammies were around 123 dollars retail

The last 3-4 years have not been kind to the Dollar and to Macross Fans :p

==========

BTW, 25G looks a little nicer if you add some panel lines. Nothing near as good as a dull-coat + weather + seal, but it's quick and easy and I'm too lazy :p

PS, I had to add some black and blue to the pilot figure. Seriously why couldn't Bandai just up-scale the pilots from their 1/72 models which look GREAT?!? Perhaps there was a divergence between the toy and model teams -_-

post-25-0-82243500-1355652859_thumb.jpg

post-25-0-09379500-1355652866_thumb.jpg

Edited by Duymon

I got my VF-25G today, from Nippon-Yasan for $206. I'm not going to complain about the price, since I missed the first two releases. I wanted a 25S, but now that I have the 25G in hand, I 'm pretty pleased. It looks simply awesome posed with that sniper rifle. In fighter it looks great from all angles. In battroid, it looks great from the front, but a little awkward viewing it in side profile, since the cockpit can be seen clearly and the back panel "hovers" over it.

The joints are all tight and it holds the gun brilliantly with the poseable hands. Overall, it's a beautiful figure.

Has anyone heard anything about a release for the Super Packs for the 25G?

In battroid, it looks great from the front, but a little awkward viewing it in side profile, since the cockpit can be seen clearly and the back panel "hovers" over it.

True, but believe it or not, that is anime accurate. Someone posted a screenshot some time ago where you can see the cockpit from the side in battroid mode. I guess the reason you don't notice it too much in the anime is because the valks keep moving around frantically and through the use of creative shadow placement.

I love my 25G also, love the shade of blue on it. I have left it in batteroid since the day I got it. I also am like WTF Bandai, where are my Super Packs? I wanted to put super packs on them all except my 25-S which is in armor parts. Kinda sad though as I have 2x Alto armor parts sets and a 25-S super parts set. I currently have the 25-F and 25-S in the Armor parts until I can get the RVF-25 with super parts and the super parts for the 25-G. I may end up selling 2x 25-F armor parts sets and 1x 25-S super parts set.

Since my last post, I've transformed my 25G a couple times. The plate to which the head attaches is a bear to move on mine, but I 've managed with patience. I've since been able to position the back plate closer to the canopy. Initially, I didn't have something quite right and it prevented the back plate from moving as close as it can to the canopy. On my second transformation to battroid, I got it right. You can still see the canopy, but not as much as before. It's funny, I didn't really care for the VF-25 design when it was first revealed b/c it looked too much to me like a robot turning into a jet rather than vice versa, at least moreso than SK's other valks. That's saying alot, since I favor battroid mode. However, having it in my hands, I'm loving the design. I love the lanky, highly poseable battroid, and I think it's fighter is quite eyecatching as well. It's a lovely design, and Bandai have impressed me with their second go 'round. My wife remarked that it reminded her of the Evas, and I can see how she'd make that comparison.

Did a comparison of my VF-27 Brera version to my 25G Renewal. I can't believe how underwhelmed I am at the 27 now. It doesn't help, either, that my 27's shoulder joints have become loose and a bit floppy. Makes me appreciate my 25G all the more.

I still plan to get the RVF, and the CF 171. I am on the fence though with the new re issue of the VF-27 with super parts. I'm not sure if it's a renewal or if they just added clip points for the parts. Does anyone have any more details on it?

The VF-27, if it's a reissue, is not a renewal, but the same old, slightly improved, V1 design with added super parts. Or it could just be a release of stand-alone super parts for those who wish to add them to their existing toys. Either way, not a freshly engineered renewal version.

Edited by mechaninac

That's just it, they do. To the best of my knowledge, these new Super Parts were specifically designed around the previously released, original VF-27 that came out after the V1 VF-25s (the 27 was derivative of, but an impovement upon the 25 that preceded it), and before the first run of Alto's YF-29. So, if a new run of 27s are brought to market, they'll be reissues of the original, and not a newly engineered renewal version. Personally, I'll only spring for a 27 if Bandai does release a renewal edition like they did with the superb renewal 25s... I'll accept no substitute.

Whats up bitches

I now too own a V2 VF-25 and finally can be a part of the snob mob at macross world :p

20121224_012841.jpg

20121224_012827.jpg

20121227_095855.jpg

20121227_095848.jpg

Although the improvements are impressive, I dont see that they are $400 impressive. With the Mini Mac now costing less than 100 bucks, I just dont understand why people are lining up in droves to spend this kind of money, and on the whole Mac Frontier set :wacko:

I do like it. I do miss how the original had the fatter nose tho :angry:

Well at least I have one in my collection and I do very much like it. Wont be getting anymore unless I see it on clearance

Whats up bitches

I now too own a V2 VF-25 and finally can be a part of the snob mob at macross world :p

20121224_012841.jpg

20121224_012827.jpg

20121227_095855.jpg

20121227_095848.jpg

Although the improvements are impressive, I dont see that they are $400 impressive. With the Mini Mac now costing less than 100 bucks, I just dont understand why people are lining up in droves to spend this kind of money, and on the whole Mac Frontier set :wacko:

I do like it. I do miss how the original had the fatter nose tho :angry:

Well at least I have one in my collection and I do very much like it. Wont be getting anymore unless I see it on clearance

A lot of us spent $200+ on a VF-25G so I think it's quite impressive. :lol: