Latest completed kit- VF-1A Valkyrie

Jefuemon

Hasegawa Macross Series Kit #1- the venerable VF-1A Valkyrie. I had built one of these when they were first released, but it didn't survive the move from North Carolina to Japan.

post-12411-0-60062200-1330845145_thumb.jpg

post-12411-0-59597800-1330845148_thumb.jpg

post-12411-0-61858300-1330845151_thumb.jpg

post-12411-0-35874000-1330845154_thumb.jpg

post-12411-0-52353600-1330845157_thumb.jpg

post-12411-0-83887000-1330845142_thumb.jpg

Had done my original one as Hikaru, but decided to show Kakizaki a little respect with the rebuild. Honestly, how many Kakizaki builds have you seen of the -1A?

That's lovely! I'm particularly impressed with the wash effects, I think you did a fantastic job with it!

The wash was super-easy to do. I use Promodelers wash (black). Brush it on thick, let dry, then wipe off with a wet tissue. The more wet the tissue, the more comes off.

Before wiping

post-12411-0-42065900-1301122942_thumb.jpg

After

post-12411-0-57308400-1301122970_thumb.jpg

That looks great! After all my years of moving, I started buying surplus ammo cans and wrapping my models up in those. Let them try and crush that! And yeah, great wash too! - MT

• 2 months later...

I thought that one was equal parts awesome and gruesome. If you look closely at the closeup shot of the cockpit, you can see Kakizaki only has half of his left arm.

Is that the only place to get the Promodeller's wash?

I think so. Ordering from him is no trouble, though. And I'm still working on my first bottle of black, that's gotten me through 10-11 kits so far.

• 3 weeks later...

Jefuemon,

It is really a great work!

As the other people said, the washing is very nice.

What kind of paint did you use for the base color (I mean, white, green and black) ?

White was the white suggested by the instructions, Mr. Color 316, White FS17875, dulled down from gloss a little bit using Mr. Flat Base, Smooth. The black and green were the supplied decals.

I just noticed a big mistake I made a few days ago, though. Was checking this kit in reference to the one I'm making now, and I now see that I put the left "foot" on upside down!! :o

White was the white suggested by the instructions, Mr. Color 316, White FS17875, dulled down from gloss a little bit using Mr. Flat Base, Smooth. The black and green were the supplied decals.

Thank you for the information!

Have you been a Mr. Color user back in the USA or you started to use them

after you came to Japan? I'm curious about which brand is popular among modelers in the US.

Anyway small touch of Flat Base is making very nice effect to the model in this scale.

I just noticed a big mistake I made a few days ago, though. Was checking this kit in reference to the one I'm making now, and I now see that I put the left "foot" on upside down!! :o

Ooops!!

I got my wash in and i'll be using it on my current build soon. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm sure you'll like it. My first point of advice is to use the biggest brush you have, and don't worry about slopping it about. Usually it's ready to wipe off in an hour or so. The more wet your tissue/paper towel, the more will come off. I usually just damp it a bit on the tip of my tongue, blot on my hand, then start wiping. Any other questions, please feel free to ask!

Thank you for the information!

Have you been a Mr. Color user back in the USA or you started to use them

after you came to Japan? I'm curious about which brand is popular among modelers in the US.

Anyway small touch of Flat Base is making very nice effect to the model in this scale.

I started using Mr. Color in the US. I had to import it from Japan, though. I was buying it through a shop called Rainbow 10 (in Shizuoka). Their regular store is still there, but they don't offer on-line sales anymore. Others will have to chime in on what paint is popular with American hobbyists, as once I started using Mr. Color, I've never used anything else.

Edited by Jefuemon

I've been pronouncing it Ta-MI-a (with long i sound) since I was like 10. Not not I can switch now...

Do you think a Yamato 1/60 valk would see for more done in the Pro-Modelers wash - or less?

Let's say the lines and wash were done very well...

Kakizakiiiii!!!!!!!

Very nice build Jefumon. Your weathering is in the goldilocks spot; just right.

I too like the promodelers wash because its easy to use but I've stayed with oils because I can mix my own colors for a particular need (oil vs hydrolics vs fuel leaks and for Gloss sea blue)

@Jefuemon

@Wasabi-san

@DarrinG

My favorite is Mr.color, too!

In Japan Tamiya and Mr.color are most selling brands.

(Newer manufacturer "Gaia Notes" follows them, I think. Another brand "Finishers' color" is very high quality

but they are expensive and most of them are for car models)

Testor's Model Master, Humbrol are available at Rainbow 10

(I bought 2 of VF-11 "Nothung" there!),

Valejo and Citadel Colour should be also available at those big hobby shops in Tokyo.

But unfortunately I have never tried those brands.

I prefer Mr.color best because there are many colors for aircraft,

and painted surface is durable compared to Tamiya.

The finishing of Tamiya acrylic XF (matt color) is very nice though.

Tamiya enamel also can be sprayed and the finishing is quite nice, too.

However I use Tamiya enamel only for washing.

>pronunciation

Hahaha... we pronounce it just ta-mi-ya without any accent

but it would be no problem if it is Tammy-ya or Tamy-a.

We pronounce Mr.Smith just like Mistaah Sumisu :)

Oh, it is the thread for Jefuemon's VF-1!

Sorry for being off-topic.

In North America, I'm fairly sure Model Master paints are the best seller for aircraft models... mostly because they have the entire range of paints all US military aircraft. I suspect among armor enthusiasts Tamiya is number one. Then there is Vallejo in second place. Gunze in general I suspect is in third place, competing with Humbrol. Only larger stores stock it. And then there is Alclad, which is starting to corner the metalizing market.

I recently started trying gunze after using Tamiya for 15 years. Best I can describe it is that its different. I find Tamiya more forgiving for what you put into the air bush cup... you need less thinners to get it to the right consistency for painting. Gunze you need to thin it properly, which is more difficult to do, and you need more of it. It is also more smelly, which is a bit of a concern now because I live in a small apartment. I think its benefit is the final product, which is a bit more glossy surface. I can understand why tamiya is more of a military paint... the flatter, rougher surface corresponds better to tanks and other vehicles. I'll probably use both for the time being... partly because Gunze offers some paints that tamiya doesn't.

Again, sorry for the thread drift Jefumon.