DX VF-171EX from Macross Frontier

charger69

Man, every time I transform this toy I like it less. I think there might be some critical mass point where you will keep hating it more each time you transform it until you've transformed it 50 times at which point you'll be so good at all the little annoying points you'll start really enjoying it and you'll be able to fly through it in no time. I haven't reached that 50 times point yet so I'm just frustrated with it... especially after playing with my VF-4..

Really.. that's kind of my issue with all of Bandai's valks. They just aren't pleasant to transform. It feels like a chore to get things lined up and in place correctly, and you're worried the entire time that you're doing it wrong, and something will scratch, or break, or fly across the room.

The VF-171 is a little better than the VF-25s I think, just because the transformation isn't so fidgety with the torso, but they seem to absolutely adore overcomplicating everything with overly intricate mechanisms and nearly unworkable motions. The hips on the 171 in particular.. they just don't work. I can't understand why something designed in CAD would have issues with parts needing to occupy the same space, but Bandai's designers managed to pull it off. I've nearly snapped off the front gear doors several times, because there isn't room for them behind the hips. <_<

Fortunately, I mostly bought these for the fighter modes anyway, so I'm perfectly happy displaying them this way. But while I pick up and fiddle with my various Yamatos frequently, the Bandai ones just feel so much more fragile and delicate, despite all the die-cast they use, which only seems to make them less sturdy, because the added weight inevitably winds up contributing to everything flopping around when the joints go bad.

Honestly my least favorite part of the 171 is that the those little chest covers that fold up in Gerwalk/Fighter will launch off of the thing whenever I transform it back into said Gerwalk/Fighter modes. I've watched multiple transformation video's and everything. The tolerance is too tight for me to handle. I just pop them off before transforming now and keep them in a plastic bag when not in Battroid.

Honestly my least favorite part of the 171 is that the those little chest covers that fold up in Gerwalk/Fighter will launch off of the thing whenever I transform it back into said Gerwalk/Fighter modes.

:lol: Yeah, that's happened to me as well. I'm doing it better now but transforming the VF-171 can be a bit frustrating.

I've nearly snapped off the front gear doors several times, because there isn't room for them behind the hips. <_<

I honestly can't imagine how you'd manage to do something like that. I think you're just doing it wrong.

personally I've never had issue with the wings falling off (in fact, I had to get a knife and pry the removable pegs out to change the wings when I got my armor parts). and the arms aren't that hard to maneuver into the correct position. No harder than getting the arms on a Yamato VF-19 IMO. The only place that I think is really tricky is getting the head turned around properly when going from battroid to fighter and back. it's just very cramped and difficult to actually grip the base of the neck to get the piece to rotate without knocking everything else out of place.

Yeah, that hip swing bar mechanism is lame. I always manage to accidentally put my hand on the cockpit when transforming to battroid mode and then have to fish the cockpit back up again. Getting the head swung around and having the doors in the right spot when it all comes together going back to fighter is tight. Then there's those chest flaps which have to go down and then back up at the right point. Then you have to swing the arms around while fiddling with the armpit kibble. You can even mess up with the hand stop and it can make just getting the hands out a major pain in the butt. Getting the arms just right probably wouldn't be too brutal if it weren't for how stiff the arm joints are. In the end, there are just lots of spots where if you didn't just transform the toy 5 minutes ago or committed lots of little tricks to memory it's kind of a pain. Then there's the whole wings falling out issue. If your wings don't fall out constantly (or at least one of them) I think it's safe to say you're the exception.

The problem I have with the hips is that while you're supposed to rotate the hip bars forward and lock them in place by pressing them in, the doors are in the way. You either wind up squeezing the doors to the point they want to detach, or you leave the hip mount entirely floppy.

Ah, that's the problem. You're NOT supposed to push the hip bars back in after locking them forward.

But then the hips just flop around.

well yeah, they don't lock in the forward position because the detent is way too weak, but it's supposed to be forward and opened (notice how that's the only position that fits on the battroid mode adapter for the stand).

personally I don't click them forward at all and just leave them collapsed in with the landing gear doors outside the bars. works much better.

Really.. that's kind of my issue with all of Bandai's valks. They just aren't pleasant to transform. It feels like a chore to get things lined up and in place correctly, and you're worried the entire time that you're doing it wrong, and something will scratch, or break, or fly across the room.

I have to agree with this. After a few months of playing around with Bandai valks, i grabbed my Vf-11b yammie to test it on a Bandai stand. Boy was it ever so much funner to pose and transform than Bandai's valks. I forgot how awesome of a toy the vf-11b is.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know how Luca's RVF-171EX Transforms? The thing that throws me off is the lower radar array. In fighter mode it's below the legs but in battroid mode it's behind the back. How does it swivel down below the legs? Would there have to be a space between the legs for the array to fit through? How would it hten swing around and protrude outward from the back? Are there a couple small arms involved?

Does anyone know how Luca's RVF-171EX Transforms? The thing that throws me off is the lower radar array. In fighter mode it's below the legs but in battroid mode it's behind the back. How does it swivel down below the legs? Would there have to be a space between the legs for the array to fit through? How would it hten swing around and protrude outward from the back? Are there a couple small arms involved?

Actually, after unlocking it in Macross 30, I was finally able to figure this out in the hangar gallery. That sensor fin is mounted to that plate that the legs swing with when going to battroid. I'm actually not even sure it rotates at all, but the fin winds up sticking back between the wings in battroid mode. The game isn't too careful about parts passing through each other though, so it does cut through a portion of the backplate. It would probably work out decently well if they just made it have a little bit of rotation to avoid colliding that way. You just can't push the wings together all the way in the back.

As for gerwalk though, it's anyone's guess whether the legs would extend enough to keep it from dragging on the ground. :p

Edited by Chronocidal

I've already speculated on this. The fin pretty much mounts right where that secondary gunpod attachment hole is located, which when in Battroid winds up right down near the "tailbone". I assumed it would just mount right in that hole and either be on a swivel/pivot or you have to just unplug and replug it in in the various modes.

Thanks jenius I will read it asap! :)

So after reading the review I really hope Bandai makes a set for the CF. It's really sad that the missile launcher on the right arm doesn't do anything. Especially since the Armor and Super Parts have movable nozzles and opening missile pod doors. :unsure:

They look great though.

Edited by Scyla

So..... I was Playing Macross 30 and on the VF-171 EX the armored bra does indeed launch missiles. It's been this way in Every artdink game that's had the Armored 171 EX>

Was this artistic license or did Bandai just cheap out and make the VF-171 armored packs not as high spec as the renewals?

So..... I was Playing Macross 30 and on the VF-171 EX the armored bra does indeed launch missiles. It's been this way in Every artdink game that's had the Armored 171 EX>

Was this artistic license or did Bandai just cheap out and make the VF-171 armored packs not as high spec as the renewals?

As far as I recall the armor never contained or fired missiles during the entirety of the Mac F. show. Artdink has been taking liberties as far as I can tell, though it would make sense considering the VF-25 Chest armor does open.

Well the chest armor of the Super Part also doesn't contain missile pods. So non missile firing breast holders are not unknown to the Macross universe.

Also the Macross Mecha Manual lists no missiles besides the armament under the wings and the four reaction missiles in the rocket launcher on the left arm.

Maybe the developer of Macross 30 had the same idea when they saw the chest armor. The chest of the Armored VF-25S fires missiles then all chests should fire some and the Super VF-171 had not enough punch so now it fires missiles even if it's not canon.

Their I said the c-word now I feel bad. :angry:

The AAS-171EX Armour Pack has a pair of MDE Weapon Micro-Missile Launcher Pods in the chest armour (note: it was only seen on Alto's VF-171EX).

Source: Macross Chronicle, Macross F Official Fan Book, et al.

Edited by sketchley

The AAS-171EX Armour Pack has a pair of MDE Weapon Micro-Missile Launcher Pods in the chest armour (note: it was only seen on Alto's VF-171EX).

Source: Macross Chronicle, Macross F Official Fan Book, et al.

Thanks Sketchley, I added a comment to my video review.

So, I decided to take apart my VF-171EX and see if I could tighten up some joints.

first up was the hips, fairly easy to get in to, but a clear example the odd over engineering that goes into this thing. First there's a single screw to remove back of the intake/hip piece, that frees up the lower leg and gives access to the ball cup proper. the ball cup consists of a plastic insert (green) and a die-cast cover (red). also, watch out for the two plastic inserts (blue), they fit in to the grooves in the white diecast part (yellow) and provide a detent for the gerwalk joint (pink) to extend an extra click outside of it's normal extension to accommodate the thigh armor parts.

8581764506_e9034012ef_c.jpg

Next up, the ankle. it's pretty simple. it's similar to the VF-19's ankle, but the two screws that hold it together are easily accesable if you pull the leg all the way out, and once you do that the two halfs of the ball cup can be easily pulled off the spring pin that makes up the forward/back ankle hinge.

8581764328_947b30ae69_c.jpg

then we get to the arm. it's actually easy enough to get off since the shoulder pauldron just pops off and the arm itself is connected by a single screw (green) to the underside of the chest plate. it's also easy enough to get the lower arm separated from the shoulder proper with one screw. again, watch out for the little plastic washers that provide friction to the elbow joint, they're indexed with a square peg so they only fit correctly one way. it's also interesting the way they chose to engineer the bicep swivel. They used a press fit spring pin connect a trapezoidal block to the shoulder (red). the block remains stationary in the bicep and the pin provides all the friction.

8581764160_6fac73ef92_c.jpg

unfortunatly, the shoulder joint itself is basically impossible to access. it's held together by a single screw which is completely covered by the hinged portion of the shoulder (green). the lower hinged portion is held in place by a press fit pin that I absolutely have not be able to remove (red).

8580662429_76523539c9_c.jpg

BTW, if you remove the arm, watch out for this piece:

8580662297_34ea2dd5a7_c.jpg

It came from here (green) and the only purpose it serves is to act as a spring clip to hold the metal swing bar in place while in fighter mode.

8581763668_806916bdf6_c.jpg

Oh, maybe I'm just late to the party, but while I was taking this apart I noticed for the first time that there are actually tab points that hold the backpack in place for battroid mode and not just two. in addition to the obvious white pegs that stick out of the back-plate, there are also two holes (green) and two tabs that stick out of the wing bars (red) which in theory should tab in to said holes.

8580661887_5dff6a67b8_c.jpg

so yeah, fun time to be had all around this afternoon.

That is awesome! It would be really cool to see all the Valkyries taken apart to see what to expect when you maintenance the toy (or are they already available somewhere on MW that is not the forums ^_^).

Thank you very much for the great pictures.

Thank's. Honestly, part of the fun for me is seeing how far I can safely take a toy apart and still get it back together. I wish I had thought to take pictures sooner, I've done similar jobs to a VF-11, a vf-27, and an SV-51 but didn't think to document the process. Maybe in the future.