DX VF-171EX from Macross Frontier

charger69

considering thigh armor popping is an issue I'm considering just gluing the armor on. O_o

I don't know gluing is such a permanent decision. Maybe in the distend future you want to display the plain fighter and then you have to buy another...

...are you one of those collectors that have 10 VF-25S one for each mode and every triplet with no armor/super parts/armored Parts for display...

...and one MISB for storage in their Marcoss vault? :p

If this is the case just do it and if you don't like it grab another Valkyrie from the dispenser. :)

Joking aside I don't like permanent attaching optional parts because it was not intended (i.e. show accurate) and it reduces the play value.

Maybe hark back to a non-permanent solution like earthquake putty.

Because of the way it transforms it actually stays on perfectly fine in fighter mode and doesn't fall off in battroid or gerwalk as long as you don't touch it, it's just whenever you try to transform it or pose it.

I think a bit of blu-tack would be better than gluing it.

I always imagined they are just reactive armor panels for the chest.

I was always under the impression they were missile pods because in triangle frontier on PSP they are always shown opening up and shooting missiles :0

I blame Artdink :p

On a side note my 2nd VF-171 arrived from NY finally :p added on armor parts and panel lined it during today's super slow graveyard shift.

post-25-0-81067300-1358959704_thumb.jpg

Edited by Duymon

Happy to have found this guy online for half the retail price but i'm annoyed to find the armor parts going for 13000yen now on the secondary market. That's near full retail for the valk itself.

You can find better pricing but don't wait too long or you'll end up like this....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bandai-Tamashii-Chogokin-SOC-GX-48-Big-O-Arms-Limited-MISB-/251193488620?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a7c4c74ec

$329 for Tamashii Parts for the Big-O....Damn it that crap pisses me off! I didn't even know about the SOC Big O until I bought mine last year. Yes it's completely my fault for being out of collecting from the end of 2008 until end of 2011 but that price is ridiculous; especially for what was originally 6300Â¥ worth of parts that should have been packed in with the figure to start with. Especially since Bandai could reissue it tomorrow if they wanted to. At least the Super Parts and Armored Sets for the Valks are legitimately add-ons! Anyways, off on a rant, sorry; buy now or be really pissed later.

Nah It's not glued in at all. For the loose pegs on the shin/calf armor I "borrowed" my G/F's nail polish to make them stick on tighter. THe thigh armor sticks on tight in fighter mode which is my fav. Plus it's a real pain to put the legs in and out with the thigh armor on.

Edited by Duymon

In all fairness, Renato did warn me that this Valk was a PITA to transform but...damn, this Valk is a PITA to transform!!

I've never had so many pokes, pinches and cuts from a Valk before. It's a beauty on the shelf but i'm almost afraid to go near it.

It's like that one woman you know will hurt you but you can't wait to get yer hands on her.

Edited by Alex

In all fairness, Renato did warn me that this Valk was a PITA to transform but...damn, this Valk is a PITA to transform!!

I've never had so many pokes, pinches and cuts from a Valk before. It's a beauty on the shelf but i'm almost afraid to go near it.

It's like that one woman you know will hurt you but you can't wait to get yer hands on her.

Haha...isn't that all Macross Toys?

Watch some transformation videos on youtube it's really not that hard if you know what to watch out for

You can find better pricing but don't wait too long or you'll end up like this....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bandai-Tamashii-Chogokin-SOC-GX-48-Big-O-Arms-Limited-MISB-/251193488620?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a7c4c74ec

$329 for Tamashii Parts for the Big-O....Damn it that crap pisses me off! I didn't even know about the SOC Big O until I bought mine last year. Yes it's completely my fault for being out of collecting from the end of 2008 until end of 2011 but that price is ridiculous; especially for what was originally 6300Â¥ worth of parts that should have been packed in with the figure to start with. Especially since Bandai could reissue it tomorrow if they wanted to. At least the Super Parts and Armored Sets for the Valks are legitimately add-ons! Anyways, off on a rant, sorry; buy now or be really pissed later.

I just bought those parts about two weeks ago on Ekizo Mandarake for $156 plus shipping. Slightly used though.

For those with issues on popping thigh armor i also ran into these problems. I ended up taking a hobby knife and shaving very small amounts at a time on the 'nubs' or tabs that hold the armor in place. I did not take pics of the process but one side snapped in fine while the other side did not lay flush no matter how hard i pushed. Turns out on my copy the plastic nub on the armor was jus a bit too large. I figured this was the case because the nub showed stress marks only on a corner and was never able to fully sit flush.

Hope that helps and slrry for the long post

This is definitely the week for buying cheap 171's.

Picked up mine for 7000 earlier this week and another two for 7000 popped up in Akihabara yesterday.

How come none of the renewal 25's have been seeing these kinds of deals. Darngolit!!!

For those with issues on popping thigh armor i also ran into these problems. I ended up taking a hobby knife and shaving very small amounts at a time on the 'nubs' or tabs that hold the armor in place. I did not take pics of the process but one side snapped in fine while the other side did not lay flush no matter how hard i pushed. Turns out on my copy the plastic nub on the armor was jus a bit too large. I figured this was the case because the nub showed stress marks only on a corner and was never able to fully sit flush.

Hope that helps and slrry for the long post

Same tip from me, I had the left leg armor tab that couldn't snap in the hole where it was supposed to clip. I had to shave it gently with a nail file before it clips perfectly. Since then no more leg armor poping out :)

I guess the VF-171 wasn't popular in japan. I love the thing. Got 3 of them now O_o

I like this valk too, but decided to stick with 1x Alto scheme and pre-ordered 3x of the cannon fodder scheme.

Edited by Loop

Man, every time I transform this toy I like it less. I think there might be some critical mass point where you will keep hating it more each time you transform it until you've transformed it 50 times at which point you'll be so good at all the little annoying points you'll start really enjoying it and you'll be able to fly through it in no time. I haven't reached that 50 times point yet so I'm just frustrated with it... especially after playing with my VF-4..

Besides the wings falling off? Getting the arms back in their proper position isn't very fun and it just feels like everything needs extra massaging.

The arms do take some particular aligning to go back. I'm pretty comfortable with it so you will eventually get an instinctive feel for it, but I hear ya, the first several times it was not fun.

Besides the wings falling off? Getting the arms back in their proper position isn't very fun and it just feels like everything needs extra massaging.

So the wings fall off... pop the pins first man. Pretty easy to overcome. The arms needing adjusting is slightly tricky but after a few transformations you get the feel.