DX VF-171EX from Macross Frontier

charger69

Ok, I hate bringing this up (don't want to kill the mood), but I just checked the Macross Mecha Manual, and the regular VF-171EX seems to come with the cannon and missile attachment for each arm:

http://macross2.net/...sf/vf-171ex.htm

Does that mean there is a chance we'll be seeing those released with the regular valk, or is it inevitable that we'll have to wait for an add - on armor pack...

I don't think we ever saw the 171 without the armor and packs is the thing. They debuted already loaded with them, but there's no way that thing would fly in atmosphere with all that junk hanging on it.

I'm resigned to the fact that it'll be a web exclusive, and just hope that we can get another group buy going when the announcement hits. I owe so much to Nanoplasm for setting up all the VF-25 armor buys. :)

I wonder if the gunpod be able to attach externally on the underside of the fighter, as this is how it is mounted on the VF-171, unlike the internal storage of the VF-17.

I have confidence in Bandai that the finished version will have lots of Tampo printing.

The total number of variants that Bandai could make are:

1. VF-171EX Alto version.
  2. VF-171EX standard version (no red stripes).
  3. RVF-171EX
  4. VF-171 cannon fodder.
  5. RVF-171

(Note, all the above versions were released by Bandai in the 1/250 scale Macross Fighter Collection).

For possible accessory packs there are:

1. The EX version weapon packs (Arm missile Pod and large arm-mounted beam gun).
  2. Alto's additional Ex version armour parts (chest and leg armour) (this should be packaged and sold with the EX version weapon packs).
  3. Twin Fold boosters shown being used by the RVF-171.

I do think wing-mounted missiles should be standard for the VF-171/VF-171EX as during the anime, they were pretty musch shown carrying missiles all the time.

Graham

Awesome. They're finally making the VF-171. I'm both ecstatic and a little disappointed with this first release. I'm super happy that they're making it at all, but I'm a bit let down that they aren't including the particle cannon and missile pack which should be standard armament for the EX variant and not part of the super packs. It would be like leaving out the sniper rifle for the VF-25G and giving it the standard gunpod only.

Look closely at the CG - it is suppose to keep the wing mounted weapon even in B mode. But the chance of getting wing mounted weapons is about 0. We can see here the bottom of wings are very clean: D9StK.jpg

Looking at this blown up image, you can make out what look like hard points on the wings. We'll just have to wait for the larger sized official images to be sure.

Kdrih.jpg

Edited by IXTL

Looking at this blown up image, you can make out what look like hard points on the wings. We'll just have to wait for the larger sized official images to be sure.

Kdrih.jpg

Hey, good catch. Love this design so much more than the 17. Hopefully Bandai will make this more readily available so people can actually get one and not give scalpers the chance to screw people over.

Chris

Ha, ha seeing this really made my day, looking forward to this release. :D

I keep meaning to buy another display case, so many valkryies are sitting in their boxes, but this one will be proudly shown to all my friends who visit.

Looks like I'll be buying that case this week, and finally get around to posting some pictures of my collection. Sadly, all of my customs from years of collecting are in storage. :(

I don't think we ever saw the 171 without the armor and packs is the thing.

Wow, careful. You're going to end up confusing people.

Yes, when the VF-171EX made it's debut, the STANDARD version was only ever seen with the Particle Cannon/ Machine Gun Matrix, and the Anti-Ship Missile Canister/shield.

However, the COMMAND version was only ever seen with the Particle Cannon/ Machine Gun Matrix, the Anti-Ship Missile Canister/shield AND AAS-171EX Armour Pack.

On the other hand, the RVF-171 was NEVER seen with either, and only with the AP-SF-01+ Aegis Pack (radome, sensor fin), and the GU-14B Kai Gun Pod.

The clean VF-171EX was shown in Macross Chronicle 37. I can only find very low-res scans:

nhHPj.jpg7QW4S.jpg

But here is a high-res art of the armored version:

HI0af.jpg

One thing I am not sure about is the landing gears on the legs.

post-467-0-03741100-1330441259_thumb.jpg

Green circled the seam lines and it is the same location for landing gears on VF-17, but how does it work with armors on? The red circled part may be an alternative but it is already painted as standard micro missile ports.

Screen shot from episode 24 shows landing gears with armors on, but it looks like they just draw them to the end of the unit without giving much thought.

post-467-0-01356800-1330441740_thumb.jpg

Edited by CF18

The clean VF-171EX was shown in Macross Chronicle 37. I can only find very low-res scans:

nhHPj.jpg7QW4S.jpg

HI0af.jpg

Green circled the seam lines and it is the same location for landing gears on VF-17, but how does it work with armors on? The red circled part may be an alternative but it is already painted as standard micro missile ports.

Screen shot from episode 24 shows landing gears with armors on, but it looks like they just draw them to the end of the unit without giving much thought.

nhHPj.jpg7QW4S.jpg

HI0af.jpg

hey we are talking bandai here.. i don't think they will really care about the small detail like landing gear.. just look at the koenig.. and the vf 25 v 1 <_<

I must just be weird. Except for the VF-1 Fast Packs I'm really not a fan of all of the extra clutter attached to these other valks. The Vf-11 and on I prefer to leave without all of the extra armor/packs/whatever.

hey we are talking bandai here.. i don't think they will really care about the small detail like landing gear.. just look at the koenig.. and the vf 25 v 1 <_<

To be fair, the new guy in charge of the group making the Macross Toys seems to care a lot more about how these things look.

I must just be weird. Except for the VF-1 Fast Packs I'm really not a fan of all of the extra clutter attached to these other valks. The Vf-11 and on I prefer to leave without all of the extra armor/packs/whatever.

To be fair, the new guy in charge of the group making the Macross Toys seems to care a lot more about how these things look.

also to be fair, i just like to say don't put your hope to high to the toy..even with the renewal version.. bandai still have an issue with the vf 25.. but then again i'm just saying i still respect the love that bandai give to this line.. and i won't expect a lot for the design, i'm happy enough if the toys delivered to me with a good quality control check Edited by valid

also to be fair, i just like to say don't put your hope to high to the toy..even with the renewal version.. bandai still have an issue with the vf 25.. but then again i'm just saying i still respect the love that bandai give to this line.. and i won't expect a lot for the design, i'm happy enough if the toys delivered to me with a good quality control check

I can't vouch for their manufacturing processes, but as far as the design of this toy is concerned I believe Bandai used the same group Yamato did for their 17 so this thing should at least be engineered at a similar level to the 17.

Well now, that's very interesting.. I was wondering if those fast packs would even be physically possible in fighter mode, but that close-up page helped a lot. I'm guessing the legs have to be dropped a notch like the VF-1 to let the packs fit under the backplate, but I was more wondering how the wings would fit against the legs. It looks like, instead of the entire pack folding away like on the VF-17, a small panel on the front of the leg folds underneath the wing to let it sit against the leg in the right place. Hopefully they'll have the whole thing figured out, and still let us use landing gear. :)

Also very nice seeing that one suspected hardpoint under the wing. I hope they're all there, and we've seen the last of those goofy clip on weapons.

Funny though, I love the mix of weapons on the VF-171.. We've got vintage missiles from the VF-0, some type of hexagonal micro-missile launcher... and what looks like a single AMRAAM. :lol:

Gah! I really just want that awesome Beam Gun/Missile attachment for the arms (I don't care much for the armor and what-not). Why or why can't they bundle that with alto's unit at least??!!

Also, do you guys actually think this will be as popular as the renewal VF-25? I mean, Macross Junkies will up for it, yes, but will the common Frontier fan jump for one when they could just as easily wait and pick up an alternate Vf-25 in its stead..? That might help in the run of things for securing a unit hehehe....

Lastly, I like how the legs are incredibly thin. It keeps the a close look of the anime, but will also allow for a much slimmer fighter profile than the Yamato version (which, to be fair, probably should be thicker).

I think because it's a hero valk, it will sell out pretty quick. I think that's the reasoning behind Bandai releasing that instead of a CF anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if everyone and their dog wants one of these too.

I am really excited to see how they pull this one off. Bandai has a tall task ahead of them if they hope to produce anything even close to the beauty and engineering of Yamato's 17. Chances are though, this will retail for much less than the 17 did, so already it has something in its favour.

I think because it's a hero valk, it will sell out pretty quick.

Well he kind of hated it in the show, due to it's lower performance. This release leave Shin the only one hero valk incomplete at 1:60. Poor Shin.

The price is confirmed at 14,000 + tax.

From the BD scan linked above:

post-467-0-33424500-1330477144_thumb.jpg