charger69

DX VF-171EX from Macross Frontier

I know this thread is old, but most of this has reassured me that getting the EX was a good choice. I've had mine for about 3 months and I got it NIB, and have transformed it about a dozen times. It's even replaced my long time favorite VF-19 as my favorite Valk. It's small and compact, yet it looks dangerous, and it looks like a war machine in battroid mode. really love it. Have there been any breakage issues with the EX similar to those reported on the CF version? Was the CF version just poor quality control, and the EX just a better run?

My EX had a broken triangle but I might be one of the few to have that problem. Might have been due to user error when transforming the first time but it was a used one anyway.

Edited by wmkjr

So, I have a few questions about this. I had a minor issue, one of the small pins on the wing has sheared off. I was wondering if anyone knew where to find replacements? Additionally, I have the super parts set, and the arm gun seems to be a right pain. I attached it the way it showed in the instructions, but it just doesn't want to stay on the mounting plate. Was there a screw or something that was supposed to hold the arm onto the mounting plate?

Sorry for the thread necro, but I didn't know where else to ask this question...

So, if the part of the wing pin that sheared off is the little mushroom cap that the wing snaps over, you don't even need it.  All those do is snap the wing on more securely before plugging the larger pegs in.  The wing rotates around the base of that shaft, so there's really no reason the little cap needs to exist.

22 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

So, if the part of the wing pin that sheared off is the little mushroom cap that the wing snaps over, you don't even need it.  All those do is snap the wing on more securely before plugging the larger pegs in.  The wing rotates around the base of that shaft, so there's really no reason the little cap needs to exist.

That's true, but it's floppy and irritating...

Just now, derex3592 said:

i have the same problem on my Alto 171. Right out of the box!...<_<

I feel a bit better about my Alto 171 now, Got it used from Mandarake, missing one of the wing post covers.

That's entirely on Bandai for coming up with such a stupid design in the first place.  Wings should have been hardpointed from the start, and permanently attached like the Yamato 17, and the entire thing would have been a non-issue.  It's really just inexcusable.

Ayup. Still doesn’t stop me wanting one though. It’s a nice design. I’m surprised Bandai didn’t go ahead and make a tan CF one from Delta. 

Since I'm never going to use the non hardpoint wings ever again... I was thinking of carefully drilling out the post and putting a cutoff nail in the hole.

1 hour ago, Chronocidal said:

That's entirely on Bandai for coming up with such a stupid design in the first place.  Wings should have been hardpointed from the start, and permanently attached like the Yamato 17, and the entire thing would have been a non-issue.  It's really just inexcusable.

At least it's the only DX Chogokin they've done this on (that I'm aware of, all the rest have hardpoints as standard). I'm not sure why they ported the HMR replaceable wings over just for the VF-171s.

On the HMRs, the hardpoints are a bit bulky, so I can understand people wanting wings without them to a point.  But at 1/60?  There's really no excuse.

The only thing the removable wings accomplished was giving them a way to make absolutely sure you had to buy matching armor packs for every individual 171, and that you couldn't use missiles on the standard releases.

And they still haven't made any attempt to rectify that particular flipping off of their customers.  Every new release that comes with hardpoints just pops another pair of giant middle fingers at their fanbase, as the only place to get anything to mount on them came in a limited accessory pack for a valk from the previous Macross series.

I dont think its intentional. Somehow just seems that all of Bandai's learned knowledge does not pass form one valk to the next. Same thing with their Gunpla and Gokin in general; it seems that as soon as they find a solution with one figure, they go back and screw it up on the next one.

Would anyone who has one of these be willing to take close-up shots of the three diamonds on either side of the nose cone? I'm trying to convert the Mecha Colle kit's sticker sheet to a high-quality decal sheet, and the details on the sticker covering the nose are terrible. I have a feeling they're just innocuous sensors, but the RVF toy seems to have some white around there (or maybe its just the light).

Anyway, I just wanted to be sure. Thanks for any help.

5a0bf6411fa82_vf-171triplediamonds.png.644678df4df55473e49dcd5d9207ea82.png

I believe a lot of those are supposed to be thruster exhaust ports, but it's difficult to say.  Bandai hasn't been exactly consistent with marking those across their assorted releases, even outside of the 171s.

Edited by Chronocidal

OHHHH. Thanks very much, you two. Wow, the details are even worse on those stickers than I originally thought.