DX VF-171EX from Macross Frontier

charger69

To everyone having a problem with the hip swing bar:

Earlier today, I was looking at the manual of the 171 again and the stand adaptor for battroid mode. I've figured out that we're supposed to tilt the swing bar forward while it's extended. You should NOT push them back in. Tilting it forward will make the hips move a little higher and to the front and help lock the swing bars. You'll hear a click once it's in place. The legs will be a lot more secure now. They still swing a little, but nowhere like it did without tilting it forward. With that, I no longer have any issues with the 171. I love it even more now.

So again, do NOT push them swing bar in while in battroid mode and do NOT jam the gear doors between them. Just keep them extended like the instructions say and swing them forward till you hear the click. Hope that helps everyone on this board.

And a big THANK YOU. Just did this with mine and it worked. The legs lock into place and don't just swing/dangle.

-b.

Tried swinging the hip bars forward... and the only click I heard was the sound of the chest cockpit cover piece flying off. =P Actually, I think I heard a click on the right hip bar, but not the left, and the left is still a floppy mess. I pulled the hip bar forward with a good amount of force too trying to find that click, but I've decided I've had enough of excessively trying to force this valk to do anything after my knee swivel incident. Oh well... gave it a shot.

Tried swinging the hip bars forward... and the only click I heard was the sound of the chest cockpit cover piece flying off. =P Actually, I think I heard a click on the right hip bar, but not the left, and the left is still a floppy mess. I pulled the hip bar forward with a good amount of force too trying to find that click, but I've decided I've had enough of excessively trying to force this valk to do anything after my knee swivel incident. Oh well... gave it a shot.

The right and left legs on mine kind of swing in conjunction with one another. And it was when I applied force on the right leg I heard the click too. I was definitely scared to apply too much force as I thought I'd end up breaking something, but the "click" sounded natural and now the legs are more secure.

-b.

The right and left legs on mine kind of swing in conjunction with one another. And it was when I applied force on the right leg I heard the click too. I was definitely scared to apply too much force as I thought I'd end up breaking something, but the "click" sounded natural and now the legs are more secure.

-b.

Alrighty... went back and played with the hip bar again, and realized that the bar itself is a bit more stable after the "click", but the leg itself is the part swinging around a little freely. Guess all the hard wrenching on the hip ball joints finally loosened it.

Yeah, you're only going to hear the click on the right swivel bar. But like Kanedas Bike mentioned, the right and left bars do move in conjunction with one another, so locking the right is the click you're after and will lock the left as well. But as I said earlier, there may still be a little swing remaining, but it should be a whole lot more secure now. Besides, that's how you're really supposed to transform it.

Also, perhaps I may need to mention that when swinging the bars forward, you should move them together as if they're one piece.

Also, perhaps I may need to mention that when swinging the bars forward, you should move them together as if they're one piece.

That'd be great if they actually had any tension between the two, and acted something like one piece, but my left hip behaves as if there is no connection between it and the right hip bar at all. It slops no matter what I do with the other side.

That'd be great if they actually had any tension between the two, and acted something like one piece, but my left hip behaves as if there is no connection between it and the right hip bar at all. It slops no matter what I do with the other side.

+1... they don't feel like one piece on mine at all.

I tried as ArchieNov suggested, and while the valk is placed on a hard surface, it seems to work but the moment it's picked up, the weight of the legs brings the swing bar back down from the "locked" position, so no real way to lock it for me so far other than the landing bay doors trick.

Hmm, that's unexpected. On my unit the lock on the bar is pretty secure and can hold up the weight of the legs without being undone, even when I lift up the battroid and jiggle it. It's possible that everyone else who's still having problems with it may have forced the swing bar too much in the past, and have loosened the locking mechanisms. I could be wrong though and may be a QC issue.

Well, at least I tried. I really hoped that this would've addressed everyone's swing bar issue.

Here's the thing. Those hips? There is no way to not force that freaking swing bar. I'm positive that I damaged the mechanism trying to rotate the hips to transform it. They would not move at all. I thought I was going to snap the legs off trying to move them.

Basically, unless you found some way to loosen the hips before trying to transform them, you probably stressed the hell out of that hip bar joint before you even learned what it does.

For those who have the wing falling off too often : an easy nice fix can be done with fishing wire on the small peg (not the main one)

wrap the wire on the small peg with the wing into position and make a good knot (wrap 3 times)

* first advantage : it is not noticeable

* second advantage the wings will be closer to the back pack in fighter mode and gerwalk mode

* third and final advantage : the wing will stay in position during transformation as it the wing will put less pressure on the main peg

===> mine did not stay once after 5 transformations and it was enough to annoy me, so I found this trick :)

I used 0.40mm wire for info

the day you get the fast pack : remove the wire by using a sharp zacto blade !

now you can all enjoy this toy that has dreadful nipples in battroid mode :D

Edited by Ghostkiller

Hey, can someone stop me from freaking out - This is the first time I ordered from Nippon-Yasan, and it is also the first time I've paid for expedited shipping - and I just looked at the tracking, and I see this:

"Destroyed according to sender's instruction"

WTF?? I just contacted them but I'm freaking out as I bought both a YF-29 and a VF-171 from them in that shipment.

Hey, can someone stop me from freaking out - This is the first time I ordered from Nippon-Yasan, and it is also the first time I've paid for expedited shipping - and I just looked at the tracking, and I see this:

"Destroyed according to sender's instruction"

WTF?? I just contacted them but I'm freaking out as I bought both a YF-29 and a VF-171 from them in that shipment.

That's...very strange. Perhaps it's the wrong tracking number. Hope they get back to you asap and it's nothing serious.

Huh, there may not be any landing gear access with the armor on at all. I'm glad I have a second one I can slap these parts on but that thigh piece looks like it's going to be a pain in the ass to keep on during transformation/posing. Also, with the way those things clip on I'm willing to bet some paint is going to disappear.

Ooh that looks nice! Anyone know if there are missiles in the chest? Or is that just armor?

FInally got to play with my 171 last night. Gerwalk was easy & I got a little cocky. The torso transformation properly humbled me...

Huh, there may not be any landing gear access with the armor on at all. I'm glad I have a second one I can slap these parts on but that thigh piece looks like it's going to be a pain in the ass to keep on during transformation/posing. Also, with the way those things clip on I'm willing to bet some paint is going to disappear.

Look closely, there are panels on the shin... looks like they flip up to reveal the landing gears.

That armor pack looks awesome. I mainly wanted just the gun and missile pack that should have come with the EX to start with, but the armor looks really good on the toy.

I'm glad I put down a pre-order.

The only thing I hope is corrected or is just due to lack of attention from the person who put it on is the large gap all along the front of the leg armor where the panel is.

That armor pack looks awesome. I mainly wanted just the gun and missile pack that should have come with the EX to start with, but the armor looks really good on the toy.

I'm glad I put down a pre-order.

The only thing I hope is corrected or is just due to lack of attention from the person who put it on is the large gap all along the front of the leg armor where the panel is.

Don't worry, that's just because it's a resin prototype.