DX VF-171EX from Macross Frontier

charger69

A really nice toy, still waiting for mine (It should arrive next week I think)

The only thing I wish that the design could have had is : the knee parts, it looks weird without it in battroid mode

Do you guys have to be really carefull during the transformation regarding the painted areas ?

or is it only on the backpack that the paint tends to scratch on this release ?

:)

Do you guys have to be really carefull during the transformation regarding the painted areas ?

or is it only on the backpack that the paint tends to scratch on this release ?

The two white dot on red part in the back are not even scratched - they are sprue cut point and was probably cut after the part was painted.

I think one part that may scratch is the front tip of the battroid head - you can see the scratch in this review: http://gamu-toys.inf...x23/dx2302.html

Be careful with the pins that hold the wings - they may pop off and then hide in some invisible corner of your room.

Also when going back from B to G/F mode, make sure the moving panel at the back of the chest armor moved to the original direction, as in page 11 step 8 drawing 1. Otherwise something very hard to see will be blocking the cockpit and you will be trying to push it very hard.

Edited by CF18

the more I see of everyone's pictures of this bird and compare it with the VF-17 from Macross 7. I have to say that the VF-171 is a slimmed downed version of the VF-17, like General Galaxy put the bird on a strict diet before rolling out more for the N.U.N.S and just slapped the name 171 to boot.

Got mine. Couldn't finish the transformation cuz the knees were so tight that I couldn't extend them.

Did you rotate the lower leg full 90 degree first? The knee extent is locked when the lower leg is in fighter mode configuration.

Hey Veef, did you get yours yet? Kinda wanted to see your review. I had mine out for a bit in fighter mode, but I don't have any display space for any of these Bandai valks I have been buying. So back in the box it went.

the more I see of everyone's pictures of this bird and compare it with the VF-17 from Macross 7. I have to say that the VF-171 is a slimmed downed version of the VF-17, like General Galaxy put the bird on a strict diet before rolling out more for the N.U.N.S and just slapped the name 171 to boot.

Pretty much. Someone certainly got in shape for summer to show off their beach body, haha.

But which one actually has the better maneuverability, speed, and combat effectiveness? From what I read, the VF-171 was a more dumbed down version so that even average pilots could fly them. So it seems to me that the VF-17 is still the superior variable fighter as of 2059.

-Kyp

But which one actually has the better maneuverability, speed, and combat effectiveness? From what I read, the VF-171 was a more dumbed down version so that even average pilots could fly them. So it seems to me that the VF-17 is still the superior variable fighter as of 2059.

-Kyp

If you look at the write ups on Macross Mecha Manual for the VF-17D and the VF-171 (cannon fodder, not EX or Super), the VF-17D has more powerful engines and is a little lighter (empty weight). Because of that, the VF-17D has a better thrust to weight ratio than the 171. It doesn't list any stats for the basic VF-171's maneuvering thrusters, but the EX version says that it's the same as the VF-17. However, when you compare the VF-17D to the VF-171EX, the 171 has better engines and a higher thrust to weight ratio. M3 doesn't have the stats for the super pack engines, but the 171 may still have a slight edge because of the increase in the thrust of the main engines. When you look at the line art, the 171 has more extra engines on the super parts, and considering it's a newer design, I would guess that they have a higher output than the super packs on the 17.

So, it looks like, ultimately, the cannon fodder version of the 171 probably isn't better than the 17, but the EX and super versions probably are, or at least are comparable to a 17 with FAST packs.

The two white dot on red part in the back are not even scratched - they are sprue cut point and was probably cut after the part was painted.

I think one part that may scratch is the front tip of the battroid head - you can see the scratch in this review: http://gamu-toys.inf...x23/dx2302.html

Be careful with the pins that hold the wings - they may pop off and then hide in some invisible corner of your room.

Also when going back from B to G/F mode, make sure the moving panel at the back of the chest armor moved to the original direction, as in page 11 step 8 drawing 1. Otherwise something very hard to see will be blocking the cockpit and you will be trying to push it very hard.

thks for the info CF18 :)

That's how they're supposed to be.

Source: Macross Mecha Manual.

hello, I did not say that bandai made it wrong, I was talking about the original design :p

I should have been clearer I guess.... :)

Edited by Ghostkiller

If you look at the write ups on Macross Mecha Manual for the VF-17D and the VF-171 (cannon fodder, not EX or Super), the VF-17D has more powerful engines and is a little lighter (empty weight). Because of that, the VF-17D has a better thrust to weight ratio than the 171. It doesn't list any stats for the basic VF-171's maneuvering thrusters, but the EX version says that it's the same as the VF-17. However, when you compare the VF-17D to the VF-171EX, the 171 has better engines and a higher thrust to weight ratio. M3 doesn't have the stats for the super pack engines, but the 171 may still have a slight edge because of the increase in the thrust of the main engines. When you look at the line art, the 171 has more extra engines on the super parts, and considering it's a newer design, I would guess that they have a higher output than the super packs on the 17.

So, it looks like, ultimately, the cannon fodder version of the 171 probably isn't better than the 17, but the EX and super versions probably are, or at least are comparable to a 17 with FAST packs.

Official setting materials disagree with that summation.

What the VF-171 aims at isn't merely high-performance, but the improvement of control, which was the defect of the VF-17; by using high low-output engines with high reliability, and greatly reducing the pilot's load by updating the control system avionics, so that the VF-171 became an aircraft that treated even general pilots gently. Perceiving these improvements as well as detuning the craft, the VF-171 has the durability, payload and so on that the VF-17 handed over. Though, from the extension of the nose and application of ordinance stations under the main wings, probably because of an increase in interception missions, the VF-171's stealthiness seems to have been degraded. Nevertheless, the latest production models in 2059 are equipped with the ASS/PS 155 3rd generation active stealth system, which is the same class as the VF-19's system; and this has improved the stealthiness of the VF-171. It's combined performance now surpasses that of the VF-17.
Edited by sketchley

Meh, always thought the Macross F valkyries were a bit ugly, toys does not seem to be better. The only sad point about Yamato valks is the price.

For now I'll just sit down and wait for the VF-17D.

Edited by Froy

Yes! Mine shipped from Nippon Yasan on the 6th! It cost an arm and a leg but I had to have this one. I have a question though. I want to order the armored parts but does anyone know if Nippon Yasan charges you when you make the order or when they ship it?

Nevermind found it on the website. You have the option to pay 2-3 weeks before it ships......we'll I guess the armored parts will make a nice christmas gift to myself......amoung what I am sure will become other things.......... :mellow:

Edited by logos

Picked mine up today. Here are some thoughts after the first 15 minutes:

• I like the stand, they kept a similar design to the SMS bases. It also locks into the stand in three different places in fighter mode. Guess they were worried about stability?
  • Smaller than I thought - at least in fighter mode.
  • Reminds me of a Legioss (Alpha) fighter.
  • SOLID little bugger in fighter mode. Nary a squeak or part that doesn't seem locked in tight.
  • While the gunpod does not collapse, it does attach to the fighter in TWO places, making it very stable.

So far, a very nice toy.

• While the gunpod does not collapse, it does attach to the fighter in TWO places, making it very stable.

So far, a very nice toy.

You know, that's always been a complaint of mine with Yamato Valks. I always have to fidget with the Fire Valk's gunpod in order to get it straight when attached to bottom in fighter mode. Nice to know that Bandai continues to attach the gundpod in two places.

I'm with you on that!

Never cared much for the fat VF-17, but the 171 is quickly becoming one of my favorite VFs.

VF-17 is the fat chick in high school no one paid any attention to.

VF-171 is the same chick years later after losing all the weight and is hot and won't give you the time of day because you were a dick to her in high school. :wacko:

Really hoping Bandai decides to release the standard blue unit. Much more excited about that than the remaining 25s.

VF-17 is the fat chick in high school no one paid any attention to.

VF-171 is the same chick years later after losing all the weight and is hot and won't give you the time of day because you were a dick to her in high school. :wacko:

Hahaha never was there a more apt metaphor! :D

Woot! Mine just arrived from Nippon-Yasan. This is my first Bandai, and I must say I'm pretty impressed. So much Tampo printing. It is a lot smaller than I thought though. My last two valks were the VF-22 & SV-51, so it was kind of a shock to see something only slightly longer than the VF-1. Not disappointed by any means, I just wasn't aware of the relative size of the -17 and its offshoots.

Just Preordered the super parts. I'm hoping Bandai sees fit to produce the Teal CF variant and maybe even Luca's next. Now to spend some time figuring out the transformation.

Just out of curiosity (sorry if it's been discussed), but on inspection how easy/hard will it be to do the wing swap for when the armor pack comes out?

easy. very easy. In fact, there's a good chance that 50% of the work will happen automatically, on it's own... whether you want it to or not, every time you transform it.