DX VF-171EX from Macross Frontier

charger69

Well, those that had reservations about Nippon Yasan couldn't have been more wrong. Remind me to place all future MF DX orders there. Ordered the VF-171 from them at 200 USD not two days ago and i got a processing notice today. Fairly shocked to be able to buy a bandai this late in the game for sub eBay prices!

Can't wait to get it!

According to their website, if it exists they'll find it for you. Maybe bandai came a little more prepared this time?

Well, those that had reservations about Nippon Yasan couldn't have been more wrong. Remind me to place all future MF DX orders there. Ordered the VF-171 from them at 200 USD not two days ago and i got a processing notice today. Fairly shocked to be able to buy a bandai this late in the game for sub eBay prices!

Can't wait to get it!

I've pre-ordered mine weeks ago and made the payment a week ago, and yet I have not received any notification!

Hating Nippon Yasan! :angry:

I've been trying to tell folks to keep an open mind towards "smaller" sites like NY for preorders, so I'm glad for them as a business that they're proving themselves. I fully trust that they do their best to come through on all the preorders they take in despite having a longer window open that makes "principled" buyers nervous (j/k), and I'll be stoked when my 25G arrives later this year from them. :D

Edited by ultraman zoffy

Interesting, I'm NOT seeing any hard point attachment spots on the wing under surfaces like on the prepros.....the wings look totally smooth. I wonder if they are going to be removable for replacement wings with the fast packs or if Bandai decided to go back to the clip-on style that the did with the V1 25's. That kind of sucks....not a deal breaker for me but still....

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Damn Dobber, you're right. There are no underwing hardpoints in evidence... they were obviously there on the prototype. Could it be that Yamato has a design patent on that particular implementation (Bandai's looked like a dead ringer for Yamato's), thus necessitating that Bandai drop that feature on their product to avoid a lawsuit?

Could it be that Yamato has a design patent on that particular implementation (Bandai's looked like a dead ringer for Yamato's), thus necessitating that Bandai drop that feature on their product to avoid a lawsuit?

Yes. This is like how Yamato sued Bandai in the past for the design of their VF Himetal VF-19 that totally borrows cues from the YF-19.

I thought as much. And the nature of engineering and design patents is such that they're so broadly written and all-inclusive that there was no wiggle room around it for Bandai's design team to create a comparative solution for clean under-wing attachment points. This is totally understandable as Yamato needs and deserves to protect their intellectual property, but it sucks nevertheless because Bandai's only likely alternative will be the clip-on rout*... a very unsatisfying option.

Se la vie :mellow:

Edit: *unless if they embedded magnets in the wings, but that would require 2-part wings or glued-in panels to cover the magnets, and the use of panels and/or wing assemblies may be covered by Yamato's patent too. And even strong magnets would still make aligning the ordnance a bit fiddly anyway. Err, never mind, back to clips. :(

Edited by mechaninac

Man... as if getting the toys isn't hard enough, we also have to deal with crosstown beef between Bandai and Yamato? Can they make this franchise any more difficult to be a fan of? lol I'm actually pretty confident they'll come up with a solution though. I mean, they did manage to hook up the pt hands properly... slap some 1/100 VF-1 hi metal style holes on the wings and call it a day.

Yes. This is like how Yamato sued Bandai in the past for the design of their VF Himetal VF-19 that totally borrows cues from the YF-19.

Wait what this is not a joke? Wouldn't Big West own the general design of all VF anyway?

Didn't the same lawsuit include the HiMetal VF-1 that was essentially a down-scaled Yamato 1/60 V2 or was that a seperate case? There have been so many lawsuits I tend to lose track.

... Wouldn't Big West own the general design of all VF anyway?

Only the VF's overall design and general transformation. The engineering behind solving certain transformation issues or other features are solely the purview of the company that creates and patents them. For example: Yamato's unique swing bar and anchoring for the VF-1's legs, or their solution for the deployment of the VF-1's arms; any company that acquires the rights to produce a VF-1 toy can follow the basic transformation parameters and come up with their own take on any particular design challenge pending BW's and SK's approval, but they cannot copy Yamato's ideas.

Didn't the same lawsuit include the HiMetal VF-1 that was essentially a down-scaled Yamato 1/60 V2 or was that a seperate case? There have been so many lawsuits I tend to lose track.

Separate. That was after yamato successfully sued bandai for violating their "pigment that adheres to metal" patent forcing bandai to license "pigment that kinda adheres to metal" from honda.

Yeah, I bet Yamato complained because they probably did try to reuse the missiles from the VF-0 for a test shot on the VF-171. :p I half wonder if they decided to go with something like magnets instead now.

I do hope the packs come with separate wings all the same though, since I plan on buying a set anyhow. Speaking of which, when is the order deadline for the packs, and who is able to setup a group buy again?

Now, the wait begins to see if BBTS comes through, and I get the one I preordered. They've still said nothing to me about my YF-29, so I'm not getting my hopes up. Anyone know how long they take to get stuff in after it's released?

And the first review is up.

hima-toy.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/2012/06/dx_vf-171ex---e.html

EDIT: Hands are perfect transformation! Whew, that puts an end to that.

Awesome! Bandai at their best. Haven't received mine yet but after seing the review I can say I already love it.

Ah, k then, maybe the YF-29 might still pop up some time. I just got antsy when they changed the date on my preorder to June.. and they'll probably be updating BOTH the YF-29 and VF-171 to July in the next few days. But oh well. If they don't come through, I'll still have my VF-19F and VF-17S to keep me occupied this summer. ^_^