DX VF-171EX from Macross Frontier

charger69

Lastly, I like how the legs are incredibly thin. It keeps the a close look of the anime, but will also allow for a much slimmer fighter profile than the Yamato version (which, to be fair, probably should be thicker).

The 171 is slimmer all around in both fighter and Battroid. Yamato had to pull an impossible miracle and make a slim fighter but chunky Battroid. The fact Frontier has relatively accurate proportions because the 3D models don't really change much makes getting the toy right a lot easier then the hyper unrealistic dimensions in the hand drawn shows.

I really need to raise the money and get this! I was a little burned by my 1st version dx VF-25F. With the wing root laser things cracking and whatnot, but seeing this just gets me excited! MaybeI can convince my wife that this is a congratulations present for me for starting RN classes!

Twich

Reading some of the comments, I prefer the non-armored look. I just wish they included the MDE Particle Beam rifle that attached to the wrist as standard and not part of some kit you have to buy later. Justrealized how many darn internal weapons the VF-17/VF-171 has as a standard, does any other valk boast as many?

Twich

Actually, to be fair to Bandai, they did release a heck of a lot of the renewal version VF-25F Alto and for months after release, many shops here in Hong Kong had multiples still sitting on shelves. It's only recently that stock has started to dry up a bit, but they can still be found.

The VF-25S renewal version was obviously released in smaller quantities, but can still be found, although at a much inflated price.

The YF-29 is another story altogether though and Bandai's first release was pitifully small.

I have a feeling the VF-171EX is going to be a big seller for Bandai and popular with fans, so let's hope they release sufficient quantities this time round.

Graham

Actually, to be fair to Bandai, they did release a heck of a lot of the renewal version VF-25F Alto and for months after release, many shops here in Hong Kong had multiples still sitting on shelves. It's only recently that stock has started to dry up a bit, but they can still be found.

The VF-25S renewal version was obviously released in smaller quantities, but can still be found, although at a much inflated price.

The YF-29 is another story altogether though and Bandai's first release was pitifully small.

I have a feeling the VF-171EX is going to be a big seller for Bandai and popular with fans, so let's hope they release sufficient quantities this time round.

Graham

soo how much valk are you planning to buy this time Graham :p

So where's the VF-Hi Metal, my Koenig is lonely :p

Damn it looks good... For some reason I prefer the 171 than the 25, renewal and all... I might just buy this, but I'll be patient what Bandai will come up with next. I was so damn sure Bandai is quitting the Macross franchise after the 25s renewal. The v1 25 is just awful and somehow I feel that Bandai is taking a revenge stab at the fans with the renewal and after saying "in your face suckers!", they will just drop the mic and walk out with chin held high.

I was wrong.

If Bandai came out with a Hi-Metal of this toy, I'll buy 3 of em... Hell, I'll buy multiple release of any Hi-Metal line just to show some support, but for now. The waiting game starts and hope a local retailer will carry it on stock.

<p>

Graham

I certainly hope so. I had no problem procuring the 25F Renewal but then got to enjoy the pleasure of getting that lovely email from BBTS informing me that I just got screwed on the 25S...right after I had to pre-pay my YF-29 import with AE (which is VERY shady on their part) because I happened to be sleeping during the 5 minutes that it took everyone else to sell out. So right now I have a very foul taste in my mouth in regards to Bandai. I'm not sure that I've previously seen a company go out of their way to not make money and instead ensure that the secondary marketeers are the only ones who profit from their work. I am hopeful that the 25S & YF-29 "shortages" will not be representative of Bandai's further behavior or I'm just going to wash my hands of them and never touch anything associated with them again.

PS And with the shutdown of Bandai America they just killed Turn-A Gundam finally getting a US release....so at this point they've started the year off in a very poor mannner...

Edited by Lupin The Third

It’s... so... beautiful... D:

Seriously though, I’m starting to like the VF-171 design more than the VF-25/27/29.

Hurry up with those pre-orders, HLJ!

It's so much more clean, without all the silly extra bits and bobs hanging off of it everywhere.

Edited by Mommar

I was just gonna mention that, CF-18! Ok, it may be a little early to jump to conclusions - and I wanna give props to Yamato for leading the charge here - but as of right now:

I don't really see how this is fair considering while the basic design/transformation is the same one is a relatively slim fighter with all internal ordinance that transforms into a completely unrealistic chunky battroid, versus one that was always designed to be super slim in fighter mode and Battroid. You may like the design of the second better but how does that make Bandai's effort superior? The 17 and 171 are similar but not identical.

a relatively slim fighter with all internal ordinance that transforms into a completely unrealistic chunky battroid,

i feel like you guys don't understand perspective and foreshortening sometimes ( ^w^);

The only issue with the Yamato is the wings are a bit long but that could have been solved by making the tips fold up.

Mommar: I was really just focusing in on the head unit. I think Yamato did a fantastic job straddling the line of real object vs anime magic, and I wish I could afford to get both the 171 and the 17S. But if you consider all the griping about the D head in the 17 thread (receding hairline, cupcake) and compare it to the stronger chin and angrier look that the 171 has, it seems to be the victor in this category.

So far, though, we only have some low-res photos to look at. Until we get some higher res pics or if Yamato tweaks the D, I refrain from declaring a clear winner.

Like anyone besides me actually cares who I declare the winner... :ph34r:

Edited by Kelsain

I really need to raise the money and get this! I was a little burned by my 1st version dx VF-25F. With the wing root laser things cracking and whatnot, but seeing this just gets me excited! MaybeI can convince my wife that this is a congratulations present for me for starting RN classes!

Twich

DONT DO IT! Nursings horrible. Good JOB but the work sucks. just keep going to school and become a PA or NP. Choose where you work wisely.

Mommar: I was really just focusing in on the head unit. I think Yamato did a fantastic job straddling the line of real object vs anime magic, and I wish I could afford to get both the 171 and the 17S. But if you consider all the griping about the D head in the 17 thread (receding hairline, cupcake) and compare it to the stronger chin and angrier look that the 171 has, it seems to be the victor in this category.

So far, though, we only have some low-res photos to look at. Until we get some higher res pics or if Yamato tweaks the D, I refrain from declaring a clear winner.

Like anyone besides me actually cares who I declare the winner... :ph34r:

Yeah, in terms of head sculpt the 171 does look more accurate. The designs are different enough between the animations that one looking meaner than the other is more based on the design. I will say that Yamato's D head doesn't look as animation accurate as the 171 head though.

item_info1.01723.00000008.jpg

I have to say.. those hardpoints look awfully familiar. :lol:

Not going to get my hopes up that they're the same size, but they certainly look like the SV-51 hardpoints. I wonder.. if Bandai has been using some of the same CAD contractors as Yamato, could they be throwing an easter egg in for people who own stuff from both companies?

Oh for the good old days when everyone used the same exact same O====O shaped pylons, and you could use your G.I. Joe missiles on everything. ^_^

Edited by Chronocidal

gosh this thing looks beautiful. i can't preorder soon enough. and yes i'm checking back on this thread everyday in case someone posts a preorder from amiami or hlj. i really hope they release the armor packs soon afterwards as there isnn't enough grey on this thing for me (its almost always seen with the armor and weapons). also REALLY hope they release the CF blue/teal scheme as i think it looks better that way. the VF-171 is a beautiful design (i heavily prefer it to the vf-17 but to each his own!).

gosh this thing looks beautiful. i can't preorder soon enough. and yes i'm checking back on this thread everyday in case someone posts a preorder from amiami or hlj. i really hope they release the armor packs soon afterwards as there isnn't enough grey on this thing for me (its almost always seen with the armor and weapons). also REALLY hope they release the CF blue/teal scheme as i think it looks better that way. the VF-171 is a beautiful design (i heavily prefer it to the vf-17 but to each his own!).

I can't wait to have my 17 and 171 side-by-side in the different modes. I think the contrast will show the strengths of both fighters.