jvmacross

Takatoku Toys Promotional Posters

These are incredibly cool, jvm!

I don't think I've ever seen the black/red trim valkyrie in any print media before, really neat. Thanks much for posting these.

What an amazing find.

Those would look great framed.

• Upvote 1

I would love to own these myself. Where on earth did you find these??

I know it's a lot to ask but, could you provide full flat scans of all he posters, if not how about just the VF-1.

Wow.

• Upvote 1

Interesting, I've never seen that dark color scheme for the VF-1 before. I wonder if that was an aborted design for the TV show or if it was an original Takatoku color scheme. I also don't think that I've ever seen Kawamori's prototype VF-1 toy in gerwalk mode before. Thanks for posting these!

• Upvote 1

Glad to share these with the rest of the Macross collecting community! :)

I really do not have access right now to a scanner....I wonder what Kinkos would charge or if they actually could do it...they are about B3 sized posters...with the poster showing the VF-1 prototype being about twice the size....

Most of my stuff comes from either Yahoo Japan, Mandarake, Japanese contacts and other fellow collectors. My imperial probe droids are always searching! :D

Also, if there is anyone else out there who may have these or has seen them before.....I am wondering if they made a Phalanx poster?....I do not have it in my set...

Thanks!

Edited by jvmacross
  • Upvote 2

Takaoku thought the dark birds were vf1js huh? I love seeing those prototypes.

Takaoku thought the dark birds were vf1js huh? I love seeing those prototypes.

They're not really prototypes but customized VF-1Js since those were the only variation out at the time.

They're not really prototypes but customized VF-1Js since those were the only variation out at the time.

Is that semantics?

Well you should use the proper words. Renato talked about this in the podcast he did with me, those promos are demonstrating how the toy can be customized as none of the non 1J heads (especially the VF-1S) are like the final production types.

To most people, "prototype" would mean these are things they plan on making.

It's like looking at a curling rink and say they're going to play hockey on it :3

So that "Color variation" and then text says something like "Feel free to repaint these toys however you want and build your own heads"? I always thought it was more like "More colors coming soon." Does the TV commercial also say "You can repaint these toys to look like any variant in the show" or does it just show people playing with the Max VF-1A and VF-1D toys? Again, not speaking or reading Japanese I always figured they were implying future products since it didn't actually show people doing customization.

Edited by jenius

If you have a chance, read this great article regarding Takatoku's Valkyrie line......an excerpt from ToyboxDX...http://www.toyboxdx.com/datafiles/data/takatoku2/:

"From the opulent embossed cardboard used for the boxes to the obsessively complete sticker sheets to intricately detailed cover art, Takatoku spared no expense on the presentation of any of their products. Their new look seemed deliberately designed to give the burgeoning model industry a run for its money. Plastic models still held the edge when it came to precision. However, Takatoku wooed detail-hungry fans with advertisements and box art that openly encouraged buyers to customize their new purchases, effectively blurring the line between the two categories. They emphasized the real-world scale of the robots on many of the packages and described their products as being "diecast / plastic models" rather than toys."

I dunno, still seems funky. The ad above has 5 valks, 2 were ultimately made by takatoku 3 were not. So it seems odd to me that the poster was telling people to customize their vf1j toys into toys that takatoku planned on making in 2 cases. The pictures in the link show obvious customs so that doc i totally understand being part of the effort to sell chunkies as model hybrids.

Actually....maybe

Afterall....the first poster features an ad for what ended up as unproduced Glaugs and Regults in 1/144 scale?

30 years later....we still don't have a decent toy rendition of either of these two.....

Actually....maybe

Afterall....the first poster features an ad for what ended up as unproduced Glaugs and Regults in 1/144 scale?

30 years later....we still don't have a decent toy rendition of either of these two.....

...guess there just never has been the demand, in the primary Japanese market, at least?

OK, here's a brief history in Macross black VF-1J. Back in 97, I was visiting a friend in Japan. He took me on a tour of different cities and we met up with his other friend who use to work as an assistance at Studio Nue. He told me Takatoku request the drawings from Studio Nue so they can get an early build on the toys before the series hit the TV. Studio Nue send the color drawing that they have been working on to Takatoku to make prototypes. Big West haven't decided what color the hero of the show would be piloting at that time. When they saw the black VF-1J, they made the suggestion to Studio Nue that the hero valkyrie should look more heroic, so Studio Nue decided on the Japan flag color insted. My friend shows me the color drawing of black VF-1J that he saved from his former job. Just think, Hikaru would have been piloting the black VF-1J in his alternate life :)

Edited by Major Tom
  • Upvote 1

Here's my set of the Orguss toys:post-186-0-26108000-1333322354_thumb.jpgpost-186-0-20948400-1333322388_thumb.jpgpost-186-0-42947200-1333322418_thumb.jpgpost-186-0-12302300-1333322458_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Would love to archive those on our website, jvmacross. Let me know if you're interested in having me scan them. How big are the pages?

So that "Color variation" and then text says something like "Feel free to repaint these toys however you want and build your own heads"? I always thought it was more like "More colors coming soon." Does the TV commercial also say "You can repaint these toys to look like any variant in the show" or does it just show people playing with the Max VF-1A and VF-1D toys? Again, not speaking or reading Japanese I always figured they were implying future products since it didn't actually show people doing customization.

It reads "COLOR VARIATION オリジナルモデル参考例" Which means "Colour Variation: Reference examples for original models". Basically, they are photos of customs to refer to should you wish to make your own "original model". It definitely was not meant to mean "More colours coming soon".

EDIT -- As for the TV commercials, I'm not sure, I'll have to go back and check.

By the way, just out of interest, how many people here heard that podcast? I think we covered a lot of stuff pertaining to the development of the toy.

Here it is again, just in case.

And Major Tom, thanks for that bit of insight, very interesting.

Edited by Renato

Here's my set of the Orguss toys

Awesome, thanks for posting those!

Gerwalk Ishfron indeeed :)

Wow - amazing stuff! High-DPI scans would be a boon for the community. I hope you gentlemen with the Macross and Orguss Takatoku materials can hook up with someone to archive them.

Amazing, looking at the profile lineart for the VF-1, Takatoku had a distinct version of the fighte mode. You can see the difference in the legs and cockpit. Imagine if that was the final outcome as a toy. Perfect in fighter and battroid.

Major Tom.....do you know if these Takatoku Toys posters were actual store displayed ads...or were mail-in freebies or perhaps given away at point of sale? The smaller posters are about 10 x 14 1/4 and the large one is 14 1/4 x 20 1/4......are your Orguss posters the same size? :rolleyes:

JVM, my posters are the same size as yours. These posters are promotion prints for Takatoku advertisement that were send out to their toy distributors - notice that some are pictures of prototype of their up-coming products and not the actual items. But some of these posters found their way on to a store window display.

Thanks for clearing that up Major Tom....

So can anyone translate what is being said in this pic?

Takatoku.JPG

Thanks! :)

Takatoku Toys Promotional Posters:

These are absolutely beautiful. I have access to high end wide format scanners and printers at work. I'm in Socal. Would be cool to do proper scans, possibly clean up the creases, and make prints available for the fans. Let me know if you're interested.

Here's my set of the Orguss toys:attachicon.gif032.JPGattachicon.gif033.JPGattachicon.gif034.JPGattachicon.gif035.JPG

Also super awesome. Thanks for posting these. I need these on my wall.

Edited by replicant2019

Check this item out???

Looks like the ones in the Takatoku catalog.

Those are fan-made customs, not official releases.

So are those in the catalog above!!! Not fan made of course.

Touché.

:p

Beautiful stuff.

If only the toys looked that good.

I love my little SDF-1 though. Fantastic toy for its day.

I think a dream toy of mine would be a Soul of Chogokin Destroid Spartan.

Edited by Gakken85

Beautiful stuff.

If only the toys looked that good.

I love my little SDF-1 though. Fantastic toy for its day.

I think a dream toy of mine would be a Soul of Chogokin Destroid Spartan.

With Arcadia seemingly forsaking the Macross line...and with Bandai the only game in town...you may actually get your dream realized....It would be ironic...to start off a DX Chogokin line of destroids with the Phalanx and Spartan....:)

With Arcadia seemingly forsaking the Macross line...and with Bandai the only game in town...you may actually get your dream realized....It would be ironic...to start off a DX Chogokin line of destroids with the Phalanx and Spartan.... :)

God I would buy every one. They are perfect for the SOC line too.

You could release each one and finally release the monster at the end :D

Edited by Gakken85