"Striker Eureka"

Should that be pronounced "YOU-ree-kah" or "Ay-YOU-rek-ah"?

If its blades can act as boomerangs (It's supposed to be an Aussie mech, right?) and it's angel wings turn into a surfboard, I'm guessing we should use the second pronunciation for this two-seater mecha. ;)

I'm no fan of multi operators operating giant robot. Kinda lame, how are you supposed to synch?

Remind me of the power rangers show.

The design is kinda lame: GDT should have ask Geoff Darrows to work with him.

I'm no fan of multi operators operating giant robot. Kinda lame, how are you supposed to synch?

Remind me of the power rangers show.

Operator 1- pilot officer controls where the robot goes

Operator 2- tactical/radar officer controls targeting and weapons fire

Operator 3- (if needed) communications/navigations/commander tells everyone what the robot has to do and where to go

Multi operators tends to work very well for attack helicopters, some fighter/combat planes, and tanks.

Has this actual "mind-melding" system been confirmed or just speculation? I thought that from what has been described about the film so far, the neural bridge could just be a method for communicating. Not sure yet if all this has been made clear, but I assume the film will lay it out simply.

OK OK - I will wait to see what they look like in action. I was just taken off guard. Thought with all the wait and build up the designs would strike me better right off the bat.

I googled 'mecha design' and this freelancer is the very first image. It could start all types of opinion debates, but for me I would hire this guy over whoever they have sketching on the set of PR...

post-8486-0-68188300-1354194665_thumb.jpg

That looks something from AC

nx01_03.jpg

As far as operating the mechs in this movie goes, it's been stated in the past that the two pilots are "locked in a neural bridge." Which sounds to me like their minds are synced up via technology.

In the comicon footage del Toro said they're synched together, with one person controlling the left half of the robot and the other person controlling the right. If one person tries to control the whole thing by themselves it injures them.

Edited by Syngyne

In the comicon footage del Toro said they're synched together, with one person controlling the left half of the robot and the other person controlling the right. If one person tries to control the whole thing by themselves it injures them.

And yet according to the schematics the Coyote Tango has one pilot, and the Crimson Typhoon three.

I wouldn't read too much into sequel talk from the studio at this stage. Remember the sequels for Green Lantern and Tron:Legacy that were supposed to be pretty far along in the planning stages when the films came out? Where are they then? Not much has been heard about either. Sequel talk before an original is out can be seen as:

a) Yes, there is a sequel in development but since we don't know how big the original will be we will wait and see if we are either going to make it or cancel it. Splinter of the Minds Eye, the Expanded Universe Star Wars sequel novel written by Alan Dean Foster was supposed to be a possible sequel to Star Wars on film if ANH didn't do as well as hoped. It was going to be a low-budget quickie. Instead, ANH was a huge success and Splinter was never developed further than the novel.

B) Talk of a sequel in development at this stage can be seen as the studio as talking up it's own product before release, trying to seem to be reeeallllly confident that the film will do well.

I wouldn't read too much into sequel talk...

B) Talk of a sequel in development at this stage can be seen as the studio as talking up it's own product before release, trying to seem to be reeeallllly confident that the film will do well.

This. It's important we remember these are no longer the film studios of old; they are all internet savy now. They've translated the old hype machine into the online world and part of that is revealing "sequel plans" before the first film is released, duping fans into thinking the studio is sure they have a hit on their hands. Once a lousy film is released, the film studios are under no obligation to continue with sequels and if their marketing succeeded, they already have your money from the first film. Mission accomplished :)

I'm disappointed with the designs, they look horrible in my opinion. I know that expecting good looking mecha designs from Hollywood is kind of stupid but these guys have enough money to hire the best artists in the world and the results are underwhelming at best.

They were so bad in Avatar that I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw them for the first time, those military mecha looked like garbage. That kind of stuff was done much better in an anime like Gasaraki.

Raiden (robust, utilitarian looking and sexy as hell)

(Cockpit is sexy too)

1239097161179.jpg

Pacific Rim designs are boring, they don't look cool at all. The alien suit that appears in District 9 is the only good design that I can think of right now, that design looks like it was inspired by Junji Okubo's work and they should do more of that. Bland designs like Avatar, Matrix Revolution, Bayformers and Pacific Rim are a waste of time IMO.

I'm disappointed with the designs, they look horrible in my opinion. I know that expecting good looking mecha designs from Hollywood is kind of stupid but these guys have enough money to hire the best artists in the world and the results are underwhelming at best.

Like WM Cheng said already, it's not necessarily the quality of the artists, these are designs decided upon by committee, meaning the individual artists ultimately don't have that much say. Working in media myself I see a lot of this. Not everything I design makes it into the final production looking how I think it should.

I'm still looking forward to this movie, even if the robot designs do nothing for me. Some of the other designs, like the pilot suits, seem great from what I've seen, and I've got a lot of faith in Del Toro to make a great movie.

G L O R I O U S !

Love that trailer... except for the go-to beats all trailer editors do these days.

1) 'Inception'-style thunderous noise every couple of seconds

2) Too many black transitions

3) Rousing speech by commander

Other than that, it looks awesome and the mecha in action and the whole milieu looks just fantastic! And we have Rocket-Punch!

Edited by PetarB