Anyone willing to copy/cast a single small piece for me?

David Hingtgen

Maybe a bit OT, but I have a model train which has lost a part, and there's basically no way to get a replacement. However, there are several copies of this part on it, so I just need another one of them----is there any chance someone here who does resin casting would be willing to copy this part for me? Frankly I do not want to go through the expense and trial-n-error of learning resin casting myself just for a single little part. It'd probably end up costing half again what I paid for the model in the first place. But I'm more than willing to pay someone who aready knows what they're doing for their time/materials cost.

It's just a small little piece, basically an "L" about 1cm long.

If you can get a picture and dimensions, I can make an IGES/IGS file of the part

If you want to ship me the part, I can CAD it out better then just a pic,, like perfect, then you can send the file in to have it printed,, BTW I have about 22+ years CAD experience, so no problem

Edited by pfunk

There are easier and cheaper ways to reproduce a small part othe r than resin casting or 3-d printing. Most small parts can be successfully reproduced by making a mould with epoxy putty. Try searching google with the term "recasting using epoxy putty" and you should find some help.

Edited by Chas

Here's a basic tutorial that pretty much lays it out. http://sx2gundam.blogspot.com/2011/09/how-to-recast-parts-of-your-gundam.html

When you search you'll find many others (probably some video tutorials as well).

There is also Oyumaru

That you can order from HLJ among other places. The plus with that stuff is it can be re-used. Edited by Chas