Hi Metal VF-1S Strike Valkyrie Question

raven029

Hi, I am new to MW. I am a huge fan of the 1/55 VF Valkyries (even Jetfires). I recently bought a Hi Metal VF-1S Strike Valkyrie from a seller on ebay and looked immaculate. However, I didn't notice until I got it that the ear antennas (lasers) did not have the notch like on the box picture. Does anyone here have this same toy that can confirm that this is normal?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Graham, and Thanks for the reply and assistance. Here is a photo oh what its supposed to look like as far as the head antenna goes. (per the box) (With Notches)

1-55vs-1shead.jpg

And this is without the notches:

jefirehead.jpg

I am currently looking for the actual picture of the figure but above is the examples of notches vs no notches. Thanks for any answer you can provide or clarify =)

Hi-Metal-VF-1S-1.jpg

That's how mine looked out of the box... not sure this helps.

The toy comes with a set of alternate head spikes. I can't tell from my pics (too small) but maybe the previous owner swapped out the head lasers. Check to make sure you have extra head lasers.

And raven029, just for your reference, most of us here don't use the 'Hi Metal' moniker when describing these guys, as it can lead to some confusion with the more modern toy line, as with jenius's post above.

Usually, we just refer to it here as '1/55 Strike Valk', then everyone will know what you mean. Or if you want to be more exact 'Bandai 1/55 VF-1S Hikaru Strike Valkyrie' :)

Graham

Hi Graham, replaced as in 'replaced by the guy that sold it to me' or 'replaced by Bandai in later productions'?

raven029

It's probably worth sending a PM to kanata67 as he probably knows the most about 1/55s, although we do have a lot of very knowedgeable people on this board.

Graham

Is it really a dealbreaker ? I mean, the Hi-Metal's shoulder pads are quite different in proportion ; which results in quite a different silhouette..

But...I bought my Hi-Metal VF-1J for its superior articulation, while retaining a near perfect transformation.

Especially the slide-out mechanism on the hip ball joints is genius stuff ; gives it a bigger range of motion than any other VF1.

Hello Knoted, I suppose it would be a deal breaker "if" this turns out to be a modified item by the seller as in changing parts. However, it is VERY immaculate and very possible that this might have just been an earlier production without the notches on the antenna like in the box picture (like Graham mentioned). MW is definitely the place to confirm.

Hello Knoted, I suppose it would be a deal breaker "if" this turns out to be a modified item by the seller as in changing parts.

Yeah, I understand your pov. I got my hi metal from an ebay seller as well. Was sold as brand new MISB.

Upon receiving the package, I noticed the tape had been loose at some point. I guess the plastic bubble tray had been taken out once to take the ebay pics. Other than that, the toy seemed untouched though.

Hi Graham, I just got home from work. Oh Nice Strike Valk. :) You're right Its entirely possible that some releases didn't have the notches on the antennas. As I recall, the JetFires also had some produced with notches and at some point without.

Why don't you make it easier on yourself and others by simply taking a few clear pics of your Strike Valk's ears??! I'm having a hard time distinguishing the differences from the pics you ripped off the net. But if you think the antennas are the only slight variations, you got more coming. Of course, this is comparing between the original Takatoku's 1/55 to the Bandai's 1/55 DYRL line and down to the Bandai's Transformers Jetfire.

1. The manufacture and date stamp on some Valks used decals

2. Box texture on a select few VF-1S Strike Valk are smooth than the commonly rough texture

3. Some of the hips has different notch shapes on its side or has just one

Hmm, your the 1st to indicate difficulty distinguishing the differences in the initial photos. I can certainly do that. Luckily the people that have had input so far know what I am referring to. Even though there can certainly other points of comparison, the main focus here is the ear difference (notch vs no notch) and whether or not this is normal for this particular toy and not an indication of tampering.

Hey Agent-GHQ, you actually had a Strike Valk you offered to sell that has the same type of antenna (no notches). Chances are it may be normal.

Actually, the one I sold has the notches which clearly is the normal one on the vintage than the reissues as EXO points out

• 2 weeks later...

I've never seen a Strike without the notched head lasers and I've been at this hobby a long time. I think it's likely that at some point one or more of the lasers on yours was broken or stress-marked and they were replaced with a set from a Bandai Jetfire. Bandai's 2002 VF-1S reissues have the notched lasers again if you wanted to pick one up and swap them out.

The 1990 Hi-Metal Strike Valkyrie release by Bandai should have a small round-ish head and no notches on the head laser cannons. This was when the original Takatoku head molds were no longer usable so Bandai designed a whole new head.

The original 1984 Hi-Metal Strike Valkyrie release should have the square head and notched head laser cannons.