Variable Fighter Master File VF-0

Penguin

Plus the fact that CGi modelling isn't widespread enough to be a hobby- at least one big enough to support such a book. Not to mention that those who make a living at it wouldn't want to give away any trade secrets. There have been small Macross F sections in publications such as CG World in the past but that's the most you will get.

Damn, look at the size of the wings on that D. It looks like it's wearing a cape. Are there many "real-world" renders of the C/D in the book as well?

Most of the CG in those books are done by independent artists so there's no centralized set of models.

Really? When you contract out work you don't typically own the 3D models being worked on and keep them in a central repository after the fact?

Well the back of each book has credits for all the artists who worked on them. That's why these feel more like official doujin books. I think this is more of a case where the CG artists and model makers are submitted renders and photographs which are either finished or are composited later.

Got it yesterday. I found it a little skimpy compared to the other books (although it's funny that they added a biography of Mao Nome).

So yeah...VF-0, Ghosts, Reactive Armor, the Asuka-II, the SV-51, and the VF-3000. Only fighter modes are shown for the last two.

Markedly fewer squadron markings for the VF-0, but since far fewer of them were produced, I guess that's okay... but they don't even show Shin's VF-0D there.

Get.

Does anyone else think it's "cute" how they backwards engineer a picture (in universe, corner burned off) that they created for the magazine?

Anyhow, I appreciate that they kept the wing ordinance both realistic (as in real world) AND official setting accurate. Though... I though the VF-0A/B/S only had 3 hard points per wing, not the 4 that this book indicates?

Wish the sections on the SV-51 and VF-3000 were larger, but ah well... at least we get a mention of the SV-52.

Got it yesterday. I found it a little skimpy compared to the other books (although it's funny that they added a biography of Mao Nome).

So yeah...VF-0, Ghosts, Reactive Armor, the Asuka-II, the SV-51, and the VF-3000. Only fighter modes are shown for the last two.

Markedly fewer squadron markings for the VF-0, but since far fewer of them were produced, I guess that's okay... but they don't even show Shin's VF-0D there.

Skimpy in what way? Much smaller page-wise then the other books?

Much smaller page-wise then the other books?

VFMF:VF-1: 128 pgs

VFMF:VF-19: 128 pgs

VFMF:VF-1 Space Wings: 128 pgs

VFMF:VF-25 The new messiah: 128 pgs

VFMF:VF-0 the original phoenix: 128 pgs

I think he means it more in a content sense...

Ancillary craft have appeared in the other books in only fighter form as well. VF-11, VF-17, VF-171, YF-21, VF-22, VF-27, YF-29. Hell, the VF-9 didn't even appear as a real photo. It was just a top-down, black-and-white diagram. It's not surprising they didn't include additional images/modes for those other craft. That's always been the case with these books, even if it is disappointing.

ncpda.gif

Why are the pic ture rezezez so small!?!?

And google translate so bad?!?!

Once day I'll get around to googling and finding the blogs and portfolios of the artists that did the artwork for all the master files... At least their names are listed in the books...

Thanks Veef!

Edited by Kurisama

This book is great, the only to be picky about is that the VF-0 variations are not as much as the other.

That's the one thing that makes perfect sense, though. The VF-0 was an experimental fighter, and never produced in very many numbers or variations.

As it is, I think it's cool that we get the F-14++ Advanced Tomcat (think stealthy Tomcat), halfway-to-VF F-14X, and a few shots of the VF-0 being tested in space.

Mine is waiting in my private warehouse at hlj until another item comes in stock so i really appreciate the info.

That tomcat looks awesome....would make a really cool custom. ;)

Chris

I found the F-14 variants they threw in there a bit....tacky.

And really, this book should be light on content since the VF-0 was an experimental fighter. The fighter only had a service life of <5 years. Compared to the VF-1's 40+ year service life, or the VF-19's near-20 year service life.

I'm getting mine today so I'll scan that part if you want.

There was a F-14 fitted with VF-1 engines testbed in the old VF-1 Valkyrie doujin too. I dunno if it transformed.

post-1819-0-79218300-1349103910_thumb.jpg

If only it was as nice as that picture. Those F-14 variants are all side on. Though the implied look of the stealthy F-14 is cool, the semi-transforming one is... well... leaves a lot to be desired. No where near the same level of class as, say, the VF-11 that served as the VF-19's test bed.