Why not remove the dirt? Aside from time and money.... Is it to preserve the originals as much as possible, dirt and all?

It'd probably be more accurate to calll it grain & film scratches, but Japan has gone pretty DNR happy in recent years, so I think it's to get away from that bad trend. And honestly, the release is better for it.

It's amazing!

This new set really is nice... even thou is a little bit out of my reach right now (I committed my money in the DYRL BD hybrid Pack :) )

The more I look into the pachinko animation, the more I get the impression that a re-make is not that far away.

Does anybody know who did the characters of the new pachinko animation?

Glad to see that they didn't DNR the hell out of it. Looks like I really do have a reason to put up with the remasters odd colors.

Still don't really see the swooning over the pachinko footage. It essentially looks like early digital painted anime with the modern cel-shaded CGI mecha that's inescapable these days. The designs are alright and it's mostly fluid, but it looks horribly cheap overall even by modern standards with the way the effects and movement are done. Good for a game and bonus footage but I'd hate for the series to be redone looking like that. I'm apparently in the minority on this however. ^_^

I've only watched about a 3rd of the series so far, but after this I'm gonna have a hard time watching the animeigo set. Even though it doesn't have subtitles, the detail is too awesme to want to go backwards in PQ.

I don't know what it is, but I can't seem to get myself to open up the LE box set. I've been staring at it for the past few days.... I have a feeling the same thing will happen with the DYRL? LE box set. :ph34r:

I don't know what it is, but I can't seem to get myself to open up the LE box set. I've been staring at it for the past few days.... I have a feeling the same thing will happen with the DYRL? LE box set. :ph34r:

That's stupid, open the damn box already! The plastic flap is on the left side of the box in case you can't find it.... :)

That's stupid, open the damn box already! The plastic flap is on the left side of the box in case you can't find it.... :)

box1.jpg"WHAT'S IN THE BOX?!!!"

Edited by ly000001

Heads up for anyone who imported. Keep an eye on your mail box. DHL just sent me an invoice for custom's tarif's. Can't say I'm surprised since the same thing happened when I imported the Haruhi-TV box, but I am a bit dissapointed. Seems like it only happens when items top $200 though, so I wouldn't worry about DYRL.

Heads up for anyone who imported. Keep an eye on your mail box. DHL just sent me an invoice for custom's tarif's. Can't say I'm surprised since the same thing happened when I imported the Haruhi-TV box, but I am a bit dissapointed. Seems like it only happens when items top $200 though, so I wouldn't worry about DYRL.

Lucky you... :)

I get a nice invoice from customs for anything from Japan over 50 bucks. And that's 25% VAT, 12.5 % customs plus a roughly 20 euro service fee for some guy opening the package and then filling in a form. The things one does for Macross.

I think my problem is that I adore Macross so much that I treat any and all Macross merchandise as if it were the Holy Grail. :ph34r:^_^

Thanks for the heads up.

Edited by Oihan

I think my problem is that I adore Macross so much that I treat any and all Macross merchandise as if it were the Holy Grail. :ph34r:^_^

Thanks for the heads up.

That's all well and fine, but you can watch & worship at the same time.

That's all well and fine, but you can watch & worship at the same time.

And possibly ruin and or devalue the stuff? :X I know...crazy talk. Why spend the money if I'm not going to enjoy it...right?

And possibly ruin and or devalue the stuff? :X I know...crazy talk. Why spend the money if I'm not going to enjoy it...right?

Exactly, stuff is meant to be enjoyed. Thats where tbe real value comes from.

So I started watching the episodes (I'm up to episode 4) and I am just absolutely taken aback by how great everything looks! The color and picture quality are phenomenal! With that said...the animation does not age very well. SDF Macross needs a facelift.

Edit: I must say that episode 4 is definitely one of my favorite episodes.

Edited by Oihan

So I started watching the episodes (I'm up to episode 4) and I am just absolutely taken aback by how great everything looks! The color and picture quality are phenomenal! With that said...the animation does not age very well. SDF Macross needs a facelift.

Edit: I must say that episode 4 is definitely one of my favorite episodes.

OMG, you weren't supposed to open that, it's a collcetors item!

lol, but seriously, the remaster brings out so much detail it's scary. And I think I've decided that "Love Concert" & "Dropout" are the worst animated episodes of the series, it's exception how sloppy they are. After this TV remaster, I'm very excited to see how DYRL came out.

With that said...the animation does not age very well. SDF Macross needs a facelift.

I think that's a great word for what I mean when I say remake SDF... I don't want a remake! I just want it to be given a facelift... ok, maybe we need a better word. But I do think that it needs something to make it stand up in the HD world. If it did that, I would have set aside a bunch of things to buy this set, extras and all.

OMG, you weren't supposed to open that, it's a collcetors item!

lol, but seriously, the remaster brings out so much detail it's scary. And I think I've decided that "Love Concert" & "Dropout" are the worst animated episodes of the series, it's exception how sloppy they are. After this TV remaster, I'm very excited to see how DYRL came out.

Where's that evil-eye-stare emoticon at...?

I've been taking my time with the series and I've made it as far as "First Contact." I'm still amazed at the quality of the picture. I too am excited to see how DYRL? comes out!

• 2 weeks later...

Was finally watching some of the set today and looked at the Special disc. I have a few questions as to what I'm looking at.

There is an intro-less combined episode 1 and 2 and several variations of the opening and ending. Can anybody translate what the menu is stating about them?

post-14940-0-00143800-1340559330_thumb.png

Apparently Blu-ray menus are difficult to screen-capture. So I had to resort to a shot from my cell-phone.

Edited by pablumatic

Was finally watching some of the set today and looked at the Special disc. I have a few questions as to what I'm looking at.

There is an intro-less combined episode 1 and 2 and several variations of the opening and ending. Can anybody translate what the menu is stating about them?

post-14940-0-00143800-1340559330_thumb.png

"OP and EDs:

Creditless OP (Macross Special Version)

Episode 3 First Brodcast Version OP

Creditless OP (Standard)

- Mono

- Stereo

Creditless OP (Super Deformed Version)

Creditless ED (Macross Special Version)

Creditless ED (Standard)

- Original Version

- Lynn Minmay Version"

The only one that surprises me in the Episode 3 OP... what's different about that?

Edited by Gubaba

Lucky you... :)

I get a nice invoice from customs for anything from Japan over 50 bucks. And that's 25% VAT, 12.5 % customs plus a roughly 20 euro service fee for some guy opening the package and then filling in a form. The things one does for Macross.

One of the few sweet things about living in Australia is the $1000 duty free limit on imports.

As for the other extra's, the hour long version of episode 1 & 2 is the original broadcast (that has the fanjet ending), and the original broadcast version of first contact had rushed animation that was cleaned up after.

Thanks to all for posting all the screen shots, gifs and those reanimated sequences. This HD set looks amazing. Even without any subtitles, I'm really tempted to pick this up.

I also have to say those reanimated sequences of the original SDFM scenes really have me excited. I am particularly impressed with the reanimated opening sequence, especially in the way they managed to CG animate the VF-1 Valkyrie with such adherence to the original staging and animation. That would be a dream to see the whole series reanimated like those sequences. If only :)

• 4 weeks later...

"OP and EDs:

Creditless OP (Macross Special Version)

Episode 3 First Brodcast Version OP

Creditless OP (Standard)

- Mono

- Stereo

Creditless OP (Super Deformed Version)

Creditless ED (Macross Special Version)

Creditless ED (Standard)

- Original Version

- Lynn Minmay Version"

The only one that surprises me in the Episode 3 OP... what's different about that?

On the Ep3 First Broadcast version, around 1:20, after they pan across the bridge crew they cut to the VF-1D and then the Macross for the final shot, as oppose to the old spinning VF-1J in front of the bridge finish. That's not what's on the actual episode on the disk though. It's the standard opening like all the other episodes.

That Macross special opening is cleaned up without the grain and scratches and it looks so glorious. I wish they could have done that to the series.