Just got my set. Can someone tell me why Episode 11 the broadcast version is so important?

Because it was rushed and broadcast unfinished. It was never seen again through all of the reruns and home video releases apart from the HD Remaster DVDs from 2007.

Check out the interview with Producer Hiroshi Iwata here to learn more about the make-or-break nightmare drama of "First Contact":

http://www.macrossworld.com/1149/1983-interview-with-hiroshi-iwata/

Because it was rushed and broadcast unfinished. It was never seen again through all of the reruns and home video releases apart from the HD Remaster DVDs from 2007.

Check out the interview with Producer Hiroshi Iwata here to learn more about the make-or-break nightmare drama of "First Contact":

http://www.macrosswo...-hiroshi-iwata/

Thank you! That was a very interesting.

Been a bit out of the loop.. Can anyone verify for me that this has subs on the episodes?

Can we make it a rule that anyone asking this question in the face of blatant lack of subs gets an automatic ban?

Here some helpful advice :) :

1. Search the internet for subs

2. Invite a Japanese friend to watch it with you as your translator

3. Study Japanese (After all it is a Japanese Anime Cartoon were are watching :))

I think a lot of us would benefit if we took a Japanese language class or two. -_-

Don't get me wrong, I think having subs are nice to have. Given recent history with this tv series, it is highly unlikely we are going to get any official English subs from Japan in the future. Most likely you will have to wait for an Animeigo BD version if it ever comes out.

Edited by jet660

Been a bit out of the loop.. Can anyone verify for me that this has subs on the episodes?

I see no problem in asking if there are subtitles. As far as I know, there are none in this release.

Long time lurker here.

Got the collectors BD set in Friday. Never had the Perfect Memory book before. If this is shrunk down from a larger version then this one couldn't be too much smaller.

Now I wait for some kind of fan-subbing to be done and then figure out how to rip these things to something like an MKV that would hold everything.

I see no problem in asking if there are subtitles. As far as I know, there are none in this release.

Sorry guys. With a kid and working on my doctorate I haven't had the time to read everything around here.

Thanks Oihan.

Also

1. Searching for subs isn't going to get them onto the BD

2. My Japanese friends moved back to Japan. Looking forward to visiting them when I can :)

3. I'll be restarting my learning of Japanese soon. Been busy finishing my doctorate. Now that its over and after I move for my new faculty position, I can start again.

Also when you think about it....Macross is a very complex story. I'm sure most of you didn't understand it nearly as well when you were kids. Now that I have a 2 year old we'll be watching Macross regularly when she's older and subs are beneficial both for understanding and for helping kids learn to read fast.

With the technology we have its rather pathetic and shortsighted of big K, that subs aren't included. If they were I'd purchase the new BD releases without them I see little benefit of doing so anymore. Even if I knew Japanese I would want the subs so I could show the movie to others.

Sorry guys. With a kid and working on my doctorate I haven't had the time to read everything around here.

Thanks Oihan.

Also

1. Searching for subs isn't going to get them onto the BD

2. My Japanese friends moved back to Japan. Looking forward to visiting them when I can :)

3. I'll be restarting my learning of Japanese soon. Been busy finishing my doctorate. Now that its over and after I move for my new faculty position, I can start again.

Also when you think about it....Macross is a very complex story. I'm sure most of you didn't understand it nearly as well when you were kids. Now that I have a 2 year old we'll be watching Macross regularly when she's older and subs are beneficial both for understanding and for helping kids learn to read fast.

With the technology we have its rather pathetic and shortsighted of big K, that subs aren't included. If they were I'd purchase the new BD releases without them I see little benefit of doing so anymore. Even if I knew Japanese I would want the subs so I could show the movie to others.

Personally, I find it rather pathetic and shortsighted that you're blaming Kawamori for business decisions in which he's not involved.

Considering that 99% of all Japanese releases "don't" have english subtitles, I don't see why some are acting like it's a big surprise or some kind of knock at the U.S. fanbase, especialliy considering we're not the target sales demographic for these releases. But to anyone who thinks that way, I ask you to go look at your collection of domestic releases, and see how many of them have Japanese subtitles.

Considering that 99% of all Japanese releases "don't" have english subtitles, I don't see why some are acting like it's a big surprise or some kind of knock at the U.S. fanbase, especialliy considering we're not the target sales demographic for these releases. But to anyone who thinks that way, I ask you to go look at your collection of domestic releases, and see how many of them have Japanese subtitles.

Good point. Maybe the States aren't the center of the world after all...

If it makes you feel any better, the discs don't have Japanese subtitles either - the hearing impaired have it pretty tough too.

I guess lipreading isn't an option, is it?

Well the producer at Big West who presides over most of Macross is Kaya Ohnishi right? Maybe she can be big Mrs. K.

Yep. She's the one who has the final say over pretty much every aspect of the franchise.

If it makes you feel any better, the discs don't have Japanese subtitles either - the hearing impaired have it pretty tough too.

There's a guy on AmazonJP who gives every DVD a low score because they don't have Japanese subs and his uncle or something is hard of hearing.

Really? Huh. I figured decisions like that would be made at Bandai Visual.

They decide what goes into the product but at the end of the day, they have to get BW's approval for everything from content to pricing.

EDIT -- stupid grammar.

Edited by Renato

DHL man finally surrendered it today.

Haven't even gone through all the extras but I can safely say I'm one happy customer.

The video is thankfully unmolested. They didn't try to kill all the dust and grain, which would have killed all the other detail as well. And as expected there's LOTS of grain in that 16mm film. Could have used some more bitrate but the discs are already filled close to the brim.

I've only gotten around to watching SDF TV earlier this year and fell in love with it more than I expected. The BD box was very tempting because of all the extras but I was fearful of DNR ruining the actual watchability.

I'm extremely glad that this will be my definitive archive version. I'll need to make proper shelf space for this gorgeous box.

Comparison vs the only DVD source I have, which is the Galaxy-Network Remaster DVD rips: http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/127283

A few sample screens:

d93cc4192755017.jpg ccac77192755041.jpg 0baf04192755061.jpg 42141c192755087.jpg

dbfedc192755108.jpg e69e10192755133.jpg 78679e192755154.jpg f9ddde192755183.jpg

0d28d9192755632.jpg 387b6c192755663.jpg 91fe6b192755694.jpg 8cfbed192755723.jpg

And the start of silliness:

92bb37192755936.jpg 16b06a192755960.jpg 34bca0192756025.jpg cda3b3192756139.jpg

The video is thankfully unmolested. They didn't try to kill all the dust and grain, which would have killed all the other detail as well.

THIS IS IT!!! This is the post I've been waiting for!!! Thank you so much for the caps TMBounty_Hunter! Off to Amazon I go...

Why so many low customer reviews on Amazon Japan?

That's already been discussed. That's the usual amazon rating spam about being too expensive and whatnot before it was even out. And those picture's are spectacular. Any more questions from the peanut gallery about whether or not a 30 year old show can benefit from a fresh new HD remaster?

Yup, only 16 minutes of pachinko game footage, but it's awesome. As for the remaster, I can't believe the level of detail in the picture. Yeah it's a bit dirty, but it's damn near like looking at the frames themselves.