Details are up on famitsu.com (Japanese) including some screenshots of the game and the fact that it will come with Flashback 2012!

http://www.famitsu.c...3/22011852.html

From MW frontpage (done rather hastily since I want to get some sleep!)

http://www.macrossworld.com/?p=1525&preview=true

Also just went up simultaneously on ANN:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-03-21/macross/do-you-remember-love-bd-to-bundle-game

Edited by Tochiro

Where would the best place be to pre-order this Hybrid pack if you live in NA (Canada)? I was told that Amazon.jp won't ship this to NA because the hybrid pack will have a PS3 game which it will not ship outside of Japan (is this true?).

There was a promotional video for the tv boxset plying intermitantly at Tokyo International Anime Fair this weekend. They vid showed the mikimoto art being used on the boxset.

post-9325-0-99473900-1332689185_thumb.jpg post-9325-0-22311600-1332689192_thumb.jpg

Just for the heck of it, Satellite was playing the pachinko promotional videos they made a while back as well.

post-9325-0-74514100-1332689201_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

For those who preorder the SDF TV BD box set, did you guys ordered from cdjapan or amazon.jp? I am thinking amazon.jp since it is cheaper. Do you guys have any experience with them? Are there any import tax I should be aware about if it is ship to the US? Thanks!

For those who preorder the SDF TV BD box set, did you guys ordered from cdjapan or amazon.jp? I am thinking amazon.jp since it is cheaper. Do you guys have any experience with them? Are there any import tax I should be aware about if it is ship to the US? Thanks!

I've bought from Amazon.co.jp before. On one order I had spent about $255 on Macross Frontier Blu-rays and paid about $35 for S&H to the States, using the "International Express" shipping method. I hope that gives you some kind of idea of what to expect.

I've pre-ordered the LE with Amazon.co.jp. I'm starting to wonder if I should still go through with the purchase or not. I already have two AnimEigo DVD boxsets of the series...as well as the whole series on my computer in two different video formats.

I've occasionally purchased DVDs and books from Amazon Japan. Amazon Japan usually ships via DHL so they arrive real fast. But, Amazon Japan doesn't pack items very well and DHL tends to handle packages rougher than EMS or FedEX. So, if you're concerned about even the most minor damage to the DVD box, go with CDJapan. Also, occasionally DHL will bill you for duties and taxes. I believe it'll depend on the value of the item.

I'd like to point out that raw resolution isn't the only reason Bluray trumps DVD. One of the biggest pluses is breathing room. It's far less compressed with a much better codec. So even upscales generally benefit from the format (I think Funi's release of Samurai Champloo is the exception, as they added postprocessing that killed the gains over the DVD). I love my Animeigo discs, but they're limited to a gig an episode on a single layer disc and unfortunately have edge enhancement (they're beauitifully progressive though). They also reproduce color a lot better than DVD. My only issue with these, outside of being broke of course and Japanese media prices being insane, is the more hands on color timing of the Japanese DVD remaster.

Really, it all comes down to what they do to the encode. Most of the awful BDs were usually messed with by the use of sharpening or smoothing filters or really bad sources.

Though then again, I'm the guy that collected and still owns a lot of his anime on VHS, because early anime DVDs really were that bad (especially the ADV ones - there's very little difference on Nadesico for example).

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

ADV was infamous for dumping analog VHS masters on DVD and calling it a day, Manga was also "very" guilty of it. Luckily both companies shaped up over the years. As for Samurai Champloo, the re-release actually used the Japanese master, and looks a lot better than their first release.

Back to Macross, one thing that bugged me about the AnimEigo remaster was that htey added artificial grain back in. If they'd have just cleaned up, and not gone so crazy with the color it would look a lot better.

Oihan and Vifam7 - Thanks for the info, guys. Sounds to me the shipping price is reasonable from amazon.jp. I am suprised that amazon.jp doesn't package their item very well. That would be on par with amazon here in the states. <_< I wouldn't mind a slight dent to the box, but I don't want the BD discs to be thrashed on its way. Especially a $420+ investment. Kinda of odd that DHL will bill you for duties and taxes. Is there a threshold before you have to pay duties and taxes for dvds?

Oihan - In my opinion, I think you should keep your preorder. Granted the BD LE boxset is expensive, this one has more goodies and special features that the last previous Macross LE dvd box set didn't have. For me, I am trying to track down a second-hand dvd box set to add in my collection, which I haven't had much luck. Also, I get the feeling it will be a while before we get a re-release of AnimEigo in BD. Even if it is released, there will be barely any linear notes or special features that would be included in the box.

The reason for the packaging looking like it's being handled rougher is due to amazon.jp using DHL as it's carrier. DHL packaging tends to be handled and proccesed around more than the others hence the rough around the edges look when it arrived. I've heard of things shipped from Japan that routed thru HK and Frankfurt before getting to my friends.

Fortunately amazon.jp always packed their things carefully so while the delivery box may look rough, the actual products has always pristine in my experience.

Back to Macross, one thing that bugged me about the AnimEigo remaster was that htey added artificial grain back in. If they'd have just cleaned up, and not gone so crazy with the color it would look a lot better.

That's because they stripped the grain out of it during clean up and discovered doing so made the image look flat and lifeless. All they could do at that point is introduce the artificial grain. Personally, I would've preferred they'd left the grain alone, but then prints can be pretty bad and supposedly most people prefer the HD video look. As for the color, they didn't really do anything to it except remove the red shift commen in fading prints, which did result in a somewhat blue look. It's the Japanese release that went gungho on color correction, but they had more modern tools to do so. Really, the EE is probably the biggest problem with the Animeigo along with a few compression problems.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

• 3 weeks later...

Even scaled down, perfect memory is freakin' huge. I'm guessing it's going to fit in sideways, with everything else slapped in the remaining space? Wonder if they'll include a regular sized bluray box to hold the individual disc cases.

I'm going to have to dig out my old PM to check out just how scaled down it is but looking at that pic with the BDs, it looks to be 2/3 of the original book's size.

I'm surprised since it's about 1/3 larger than I was expecting.

Looks like it might be packed with the book flat as a base of the package with everything else placed on top of it

「FEVER 超時空要塞マクロス」、OP

「超時空要塞マクロス」Blu-ray Box 特典ディスク ミュージッククリップの一部を紹介!!

動画の曲は「マクロス」。他にも「私の彼はパイロット」「ドッグファイター(BGM)」「小白竜」「0-G LOVE」「アクション 総攻撃(BGM)」「シルバームーン・レッドムーン」「愛は流れる」を収録!!

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/ihbXeZ7UCsg/

24582_a11100035e037799b6c06c8ffef8410c.jpg

by http://dbeat.bandaivisual.co.jp/macross_bdbox/

At the Shibuya "Macross the Design" exhibit, they had a TV playing a promo for the BD. I was kind of surprised by how it looked...unlike the 2008 DVD remaster, which had a softer, more muted color palette, the BD was really bright and colorful, more like the AnimEigo DVDs.

At the Shibuya "Macross the Design" exhibit, they had a TV playing a promo for the BD. I was kind of surprised by how it looked...unlike the 2008 DVD remaster, which had a softer, more muted color palette, the BD was really bright and colorful, more like the AnimEigo DVDs.

I thought the BV 2008 Remaster had the best color out of all the releases. When I did some screen captures to compare the two releases years ago, the Animeigo DVDs were really dark, especially with Claudia's skin tone.

The one major problem of the 2008 release is the dust, which hopefully they cleaned up for the BD release (although some can be seen in the BD promotional video). It was so distracting, and looked like animated snow. Also, Animeigo used a film where more of the screen could be seen. Hopefully the BD will use something similar.

I thought the BV 2008 Remaster had the best color out of all the releases. When I did some screen captures to compare the two releases years ago, the Animeigo DVDs were really dark, especially with Claudia's skin tone.

The one major problem of the 2008 release is the dust, which hopefully they cleaned up for the BD release (although some can be seen in the BD promotional video). It was so distracting, and looked like animated snow. Also, Animeigo used a film where more of the screen could be seen. Hopefully the BD will use something similar.

It looked good, don't get me wrong.

I prefer the DVD release, but others may well prefer the BD.

No, it couldn't. Last year, Mikimoto said that he didn't want to do animation anymore.

We shall see. Considering that they did Yamato 2199 without Matsumoto, it may not make all that much difference.

Edited by Keith

I don't know how anyone can watch that Pachinko version of the intro and not want to see the series re-animated.

I couldn't agree more with you. It looks fantastic!