I find it fascinating that these Blu-rays are in mono.

To me that means they're all about preserving the original sound.

- and to hell with all of those empty audio channels.

I wish english releases operated under the same mindset. Instead, after the dub they add sounds to fill up the other audio channels until it's unrecognizable.

As if butchering the 80s sound effects is OK as long as you can sell it as 5.1 (or whatever).

It's akin to colorizing black and white films.

This news is exciting, and gives me hope.

Alas in the meantime, I plan to sit on my hands and wait nervously for a DYRL Blu-Ray announcement instead.

Once I hear that call, Lord help anyone who gets between me and that disc.

I'm not sure if I would want to get it on BD just yet as, I cant really shell out that kind of money, on something that I kinda already have. So I'm gonna let all you who are buy it and then let me know if it is worth the bother. :)

Who on here actually IS buying it? I pre-ordered, but really just to see how low the Amazon price goes. I'm going to cancel soon enough.

As if butchering the 80s sound effects is OK as long as you can sell it as 5.1 (or whatever).

I don't know how accurate this is, but I heard a long time ago that (some?) US stores do not carry DVDs unless they have a 5.1 track.

As I've already got the Animego DVD set, I really can't justify spending all that money on what may or may not be just a minor incremental improvement in video quality, but is still without English subtitles. Plus I still am yet to buy a Blu-ray player.

So this set is an easy and definite pass from me.

Still, nice for those that want it and will appreciate it.

Graham

Who on here actually IS buying it? I pre-ordered, but really just to see how low the Amazon price goes. I'm going to cancel soon enough.

You even have to ask? :-D Then again, I have some service points which, along with pre-order discount, mean that I'm getting this puppy for 90% off ;-) Gotta love customer loyalty rewards!

I don't know how accurate this is, but I heard a long time ago that (some?) US stores do not carry DVDs unless they have a 5.1 track.

I've heard this argument as well.

But that line of thought kind of fizzles if you think about it for a second.

Citizen Kane, It's a Wonderful Life and other such classics aren't required to have 5.1. You've no doubt seen them in stores.

Who's out there beefing up the sub channels on films from the 1940s?

Or what about silent films? Sorry. i call shenanigans.

Shenanigans!

This one's outta my price range.

As much as I'd like to have this in my collection I already have the Animeigo set.

Props to the folks that're preordering though, it'll give me time to save up for DYRL on Blu-ray.

This one's outta my price range.

As much as I'd like to have this in my collection I already have the Animeigo set.

Props to the folks that're preordering though, it'll give me time to save up for DYRL on Blu-ray.

Yeah, I got the Animeigo too and will probably wait for the DYRL release. That one should be considerably cheaper no matter how many extras they add on it.

Thanks! Then all I have to do is remaster my own versions of the BD's I just paid $600 bucks for! Or...have my kids hold up flash cards like the ring girls at a boxing match! :p

The point I'm trying to make is that YOU shouldn't have to extend such a generous offer. Given that the series is 30 years old, and has been officially translated and subbed at least twice that we know of, it wouldn't kill them to include the subs with this set which purports to be an "ultimate" edition. Adding subs can't possibly cost them much more.

I guarantee Carl Macek has something to do with this.

Why spend the extra dime to give proper subs when it's just another thing for him to bitch about?

Macek died in 2010. Not sure if that was a joke or not.

http://en.wikipedia....arl_Macek#Death

The lack of subs is most likely due to the fact that Big West/Bandai will want to shop this set around for licensing in the USA.

More money for them to be made by licensing it out than by selling ten or fifteen extra boxsets to guys on Macross World.

Edited by kazuo

Macek died in 2010. Not sure if that was a joke or not.

http://en.wikipedia....arl_Macek#Death

The lack of subs is most likely due to the fact that Big West/Bandai will want to shop this set around for licensing in the USA.

More money for them to be made by licensing it out than by selling ten or fifteen extra boxsets to guys on Macross World.

I meant "Macek" in the sense that Harmony Gold still tries to shoot down any forward progress on Macross/Mospeada/Battletech in the US.

The lack of subs has to do with Bandai Visual not wanting to spent on translating & timing a sub script. Sure it's a negligable cost, and sure it'd be fairly easy to do, but the U.S. market isn't the target audience, and there's no significant English speaking market in Japan. What's interesting is that part of Bamco's decision to close down Bandai Entertainment in the U.S. apparently had some small part to do with the sales of Unicorn, basically realizing there "is" some profit to be made from producing one product and exporting it to the U.S. It's unfortunately too soon for that to help with releases like Macross TV or Gunbuster (Gunbuster btw BV "does" have a translated sub script in hand for), but maybe around the time DYRL or Plus come around on BD things will have changed.

And then of course there's always the hope that maybe these releases will have english subs, and they're just not telling anybody, but that's more denial than anything. Before anyone says anything, yeah AnimEigo did do a sub script, but that's in the hands of HG, BV or Big West have no claim on it.

One thought that comes to mind is that maybe Madman Entertainment down here in Australia could license the release of SDFM BD and then add the subs themselves or use the AnimEigo subs in some kind of cross-license kinda thing. I know it does sound crazy but they've done some crazy things in the past and they're in the best third party position to do it, I think...

...though, saying that, of course it's not gonna happen lol.

One thought that comes to mind is that maybe Madman Entertainment down here in Australia could license the release of SDFM BD and then add the subs themselves or use the AnimEigo subs in some kind of cross-license kinda thing. I know it does sound crazy but they've done some crazy things in the past and they're in the best third party position to do it, I think...

...though, saying that, of course it's not gonna happen lol.

Since Tatsunoko legitimately owns international distribution of Macross TV, Madman would be painting a big "sue me" sign on themselvfes for trying. Now if they wanted to license 7 or Frontier, that'd be another matter. Something else to think about, a current trend in AU & general European bluray releases has been to set the frame rate at 1080i/50fps. So even bypassing region issues, you'd still have to ensure you had a TV/player that can handle PAL framerates. This was done with Madman's release of the live action Yamato movie, and the French release of Caprica. Unfortunately, licensor's are wising up to U.S. importers.

I never said they'd just rip off stuff and release it on their own. In the past Madman has made some strange cross licensing deals in the past... and they have SDFM on DVD.

As for the "current trend" all of the BD anime i've bought, all of which are madman releasees are 1080/24fps, though I didn't know that about the live-action Yamato... might have to ask about that on their forums since I was interested in buying it... maybe I won't now if it is true.

I didn't say they'd just rip it either, but in order to license it they'd have to not only pay Big West & Tatsunoko, but also get permission from both. That's more than an issue of strange licensing, it's also a matter of working out a license which would allow them to use Big West's HD masters "without" giving Tatsunoko access to them. If you think that has any chance of happening, then you're far more optimistic than I.

• 1 month later...

Since I have the Animego release I'm not that interested in getting the BD. Still, if was going to spend that kind of money on something Macross I'd rather get the Yamato SDF-1.

My thoughts exactly. Especially when it's not even Subtitled. :(

Madman does bring out some unexpected stuff sometimes - Australia got all the japan-only transformers series on DVD years ago while the US is still playing catchup.

Their Macross DVD boxset was awesome - and very affordable. It was sub only yet featured some of that notorious Tommy Yune art on the covers of the DVDs themselves. The box was gorgeous though.

Unfortunately for the rest of the world though, their Blurays are always region locked.

As for the Macross blu boxset - as I've said before, I'm all-in, although with the combined discounts I have lined up it will be for only a fraction of the RRP ;-) Can't wait to see that Pachinko footage on a decent sized screen :-)

As much as I'd love the extras (particularly the pachinko footage), that's way too much for a series set I already own (Animeigo DVD release) that, given the expected improvements, won't change the fact that some footage is just unforgettable to say the least (AKA, the infamous Max/Milia knife fight).

I'll have to pass. I'd rather get a new valkyrie for half the money this release is gonna cost.

• 3 weeks later...

This news is exciting, and gives me hope.

Alas in the meantime, I plan to sit on my hands and wait nervously for a DYRL Blu-Ray announcement instead.

Once I hear that call, Lord help anyone who gets between me and that disc.

Apparently, you can quit being nervous. Seems the latest Famitsu magazine had a page you might be interested in.

http://gematsu.com/2012/03/hack-macross-hybrid-packs-announced-for-ps3

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=467273