That Macross special opening is cleaned up without the grain and scratches and it looks so glorious. I wish they could have done that to the series.

My understanding is the Creditless OP and ED were usually shot clean on 35mm film because they could afford it and needed it cleaner for the next steps. Then for the actual episode they'd add the credits layer on top and of that clean film and reshoot that on the 16mm actual episode film (so they don't have to abuse the OP cell banks all the time). This is why the creditless OP and ED always come out a billion times cleaner than episode footage for older shows. Dancouga, Zeta, ZZ BDs all show this.

Didnt know that, thanks makes sense now, some old tv programes I have seen re run recently must also have used the same method as they have similar credits and creditless issues.

I always just put it down to cheap production values and T.V series values.

• 2 weeks later...

im just asking.. i have the animeigo and the remastered versions so i had to ask since it doesn't come cheap.

Quite a lot of screencaps and comparisons are in the thread.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=36122&st=175&p=975336entry975336

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=36122&st=210&p=975676entry975676

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=36122&st=175&p=975415entry975415

To me it's worth every penny. It's my first time buying SDF TV and will probably be the final one as far as archiving the show goes. The extras are also fantastic.

Judging by the screencaps, the BD stomps all over the AnimEigo DVD set. However, that quality does come with a price, and you lose the English subs.

I have the 15th Anniversary LD-BOX and the AnimEigo DVDs, so I think I'm good as far as Macross TV goes. The LD set was north of $500 back in the day, so it wasn't cheap either.

Judging by the screencaps, the BD stomps all over the AnimEigo DVD set. However, that quality does come with a price, and you lose the English subs.

I have the 15th Anniversary LD-BOX and the AnimEigo DVDs, so I think I'm good as far as Macross TV goes. The LD set was north of $500 back in the day, so it wasn't cheap either.

"Stomps all over the AnimEigo disc's" doesn't even begin to describe it.

Bit the bullet. It's on it's way. Just sucks that I have many other versions and then ten yrs from now another version is out. Dammit!

After watching the remaster, I'm really not sure I can go back to a lessor master, even without subs. As for another format, 10 years down the line would probably be some kinda digital format.

"Stomps all over the AnimEigo disc's" doesn't even begin to describe it.

After watching the remaster, I'm really not sure I can go back to a lessor master, even without subs. As for another format, 10 years down the line would probably be some kinda digital format.

It's gonna totally be streamed into your brain and will look like some augmented reality shi*t that will continuously play in your periphery while you do other stuff. Macross ALL THE TIME...even while you sleep and poop...and people will STILL COMPLAIN about the blurry bits. B))

Edited by xrentonx

Is discussing a downloadable digital version of this off limits? (im patiently watching a 500GB download click by)

Is there a way to rip the subs from animEigo DVD'S and apply to this?

I want to introduce my son to macross in a year or two once his reading skills are a bit better (hes 5)

Is discussing a downloadable digital version of this off limits? (im patiently watching a 500GB download click by)

Is there a way to rip the subs from animEigo DVD'S and apply to this?

I want to introduce my son to macross in a year or two once his reading skills are a bit better (hes 5)

That depends, did you buy the official release?

• 4 weeks later...

I couldn't agree more with you. It looks fantastic!

Same here. I just saw the OP on Youtube, and was amazed with the work. I'd love to see them reanimate the original series' vocal tracks with that shiny new animation :)

I found this video now.

Too bad it is pachinko.

If they ever re-do the series as they did with Yamato 2199.

Will take advantage this style of animation, or do something else "Frontier" as the current productions?

• 4 months later...

It makes the show so clear that you can see dirt on the cells at times, which just adds to the atmosphere imo. Having said that, given the price, you might not find the step up from the original DVD remasters worth it.

Renato - anything else to chime in with, since you've been watching the BDs recently?

It makes the show so clear that you can see dirt on the cells at times, which just adds to the atmosphere imo. Having said that, given the price, you might not find the step up from the original DVD remasters worth it.

Renato - anything else to chime in with, since you've been watching the BDs recently?

Yeah: For this and the Space Cruiser Yamato BD set, the price is really the issue. In terms of visuals, the BD is absolutely incredible. I'm sorry, I was never really very impressed with the Animeigo DVDs. I know the fixed the film splices and the sound was better, but the overly-saturated colours always bugged me. The Blu-rays are gorgeous, though. It's like looking at each individual cel... Some people find the dust and fingerprints off-putting, but I find it fascinating, because it gives clues to the photographic process. The reason I never got the HD Remaster DVD set was because I knew they would bring this one out sooner or later. However, I was on the fence for months after it did come out (and seeing how this was not an immediate sell-out, I wasn't the only one), but I bit the bullet when I felt the price would not go down any lower.

Still, just the TV show itself was not enough for me to double-dip -- I mainly wanted the limited edition collector's set because it comes with all sorts of stuff like storyboards and initial-draft scripts which is really great. Although that missing page from the Perfect Memory reprint is irritating.

As far as visual extras, they are the same as the ones on the "HD Remaster DVD" set from 2008 or so, except for the Pachinko stuff, and a TV special retrospective on Macross's 30th anniversary. For a full documentary on the story behind the making of the TV series and movie, the DYRL Limited Edition BD is much better. The booklet included in the LE SDFM TV series box does however provide quite a lot of info on the matter, though, such as how the "Genocidus" project and the "Megaroad" project coalesced to become "Macross", with some rare Studio Nue pre-production sketches.

With this set, DYRL and Mac7 on BD, I think I'm done with Macross. :) You're not going to get better picture quality or content. I do have the MacPlus BD set and FB7 on order, but that's more sort of a "completist OCD" symptom.

With this set, DYRL and Mac7 on BD, I think I'm done with Macross. :) You're not going to get better picture quality or content. I do have the MacPlus BD set and FB7 on order, but that's more sort of a "completist OCD" symptom.

Oh, just wait until they announce Macross 2 on BD... *wink*

One more question folks.

I am seriously thinking about buying this ( the complete edition with
the book and all); already bought the DYRL BD 30th Anyversay LE :D

Thing is I live in Mexico (yeah I will have to save on tacos for a
year to buy this one, hehe, and sell my donkey, haha), not,.. really, I
see there is a very good price in Amazon Japan, so I was wondering why
this site is offering this product for around 13000 yens less than other
sites.

Whats the deal there? Is there a catch? Maybe they do not ship to everywhere?

Edited by dakedo

Can anyone point me in the right direction to watch a "good" copy of this series?

Dose hula have? Would like to see in HD English dub but will take what I can get.

I see it on YouTube but says not available in my country (USA). Tried proxy and still no luck.

Thx

Edited by Demon_seed_22

I know this may be a sin to ask here but...

The macross sage (robotech) shows the same episode names as SDF. is there a difference? Is so what and how much. Is is as drastic as golion to voltron...

We have a guide for that for more than 10 years: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=228

One more question folks.

I am seriously thinking about buying this ( the complete edition with

the book and all); already bought the DYRL BD 30th Anyversay LE :D

Thing is I live in Mexico (yeah I will have to save on tacos for a

year to buy this one, hehe, and sell my donkey, haha), not,.. really, I

see there is a very good price in Amazon Japan, so I was wondering why

this site is offering this product for around 13000 yens less than other

sites.

Whats the deal there? Is there a catch? Maybe they do not ship to everywhere?

Amazon always discounts their products to some degree at somepoint. Normally theres a 10~20% discount for preorders, then the products jumps back up to regular retail price immediately upon release, then drops again (often to pre-order discount levels after a few months pass if they have extra stock.

Thanks for the responses, I am sooo buying this !!!!

Be aware that there are two editions of this set, one with the book and stuff and another, smaller one, just with the discs. Make sure you're buying the right one. I have made mistakes in the (recent) past...