1/48 enemy pod

mslz22

Terrific observation, I had that right next to me building the pattern. I always liked the slightly fuller "face" of that art compared to some of the other depictions of it that has a more "caved in" or "i just ate a lemon" look.

I, like many of us here, fell in love with so much of the original box art all those years ago, I have most of my boxes displayed on shelves above me where i work, for inspiration. They fueled my imagination and model building for a long time now...

thanks

mike

That's very reminiscent of the original ARII box art, which made fall in love with Macross all those years ago. Nicely done!

• 2 weeks later...

There should be decals in there, look for a folded up piece of cardboard, at the top of the box. I thought i marked it as decals but maybe not, let me know if you don't find them.

thanks

mike

Hey mike my kit arrived today.. was wondering do they come with decals? also if they are going to be available (decals 1/60) in the 1/60 scale can i order 3 =)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Bumping this thread because it is pure awesome!

Mike, that is the way a Regult should look! I love the Imai box art too. I'm currently redoing a 1/72 Imai kit and my goal is to get the finish to look like the box art (or yours). Did you use oil paints for the streaking and weathering, or pastels? I think I am going to try some "filters" with artists oil paints to get that old painted metallic look.

Has anyone else started building one of these behemoths? Show some pictures! I need more Regult!!!!!!!!!

Mike, did you get this to Wonderfest? I hope it was a successful show for you!

Edited by jardann

Thanks, did not make it to WF this year, hopefully next.

The weathering is still in progress but I did use a filter/wash and some additional detailing using both Tamiya paints and some oil detailing. I employed some of the techniques I've seen a lot of the armor and MAK guys doing. Like with the Tamiya paints i would pick an interesting color that compliments the base color (i used Montana Gold Marble for the "white") like depot buff, dab that one in tiny little dots, then use a clean brush with some Iso alcohol on it and brush it almost all away. What you are left with is a "ghost" of the depot buff. It's a really cool effect that you don't even see in the pics all that much but really gives it a real world quality, while at the same time giving it a quality that mimics some of the old box art. For the other weathering i use some of the more traditional streaking with oils. I've been using charcoal oil instead of black as it has a more interesting look to it and compliments the white nicely.

thanks

mike

Wow, I never really thought a technique like that would work with Tamiya or other acrylics. I'm guessing the base color coats weren't acrylics? Or did you use an enamel or laquer clearcoat before the weathering? I thought the iso would eat through the acrylic base coat. Thanks for the description!

The base coats were acrylics, but, at least the Montana Gold, did not react with the Iso, at least not quickly. From what i understand some of the old ILM painters like Grant McCune would use this technique and count on the base coat "melting" a bit with the accent. There is a video of him painting a space shuttle where you see him blasting an accent panel with a bunch of thinner after putting on some dots of paint. It all kind of melts together to add depth to the model.