1/48 enemy pod

mslz22

I used a couple of markers for sizing, animation, size i thought a pilot should be within reason, the size of the 1/60, and just what i thought kind of looked right. I wanted it to be big enough to look menacing next to a 1/48 valk, i mean these are a race of giants after all right?

I have a real respect for the bad guy mecha designs, I find them much more appealing now than i did when i was a kid, and maybe because there is so much available on the good guy side i am really wanting to focus some of my scratch building attention to enemy stuff. Because it's all base off of animation I also enjoy that i can have some wiggle room in the design, interpretation, and size of the mecha.

That thing is awesome! Your work never ceases to amaze man. I would definitely like to be on the list for a kit when you get around to it. I remember a small picture in a Starlog magazine of the primary regult attack on Macross island is what piqued my interest in Macross. It took me a couple of years to track down any more information on the series, but the look of the regults stuck with me until I could find out what it was all about. I really think the enemy mecha are the most unique and inspiring designs from Macross. Fantastic project Mike!

• 2 weeks later...

So a little update, i am starting to get freed up a bit as i am getting to the last of the y wings for Nice-N. I was able to spend a little time on this, got the eye gun moved over to where i want it, I left the "socket" holes in the head with a little wiggle room for adjustments. The gun sockets are cast separately from the head so they will be much easier to paint. My legs are glued together but you can see they are made up of 5 parts, same with the feet which are 3 parts. Everything is broken down to make painting easier, eye will be cast in clear. I hope to get this going soon, i have JT graphics working on decals for this (and the commander pod). I have a few scratches and such to fill, head needs a mold, need the back handles finished up, and i am waiting to get a rotocaster soon which will be the last thing i need to get going...

thanks

mike

013-3.jpg015-3.jpg016.jpg

I will likely make a few castings available if people are interested, very limited, and as i said earlier in the thread i did not intend to "kit" this so I will want to build and paint one first before i commit to casting any for others. I want to be sure it goes together without too much trouble...

I will likely make a few castings available if people are interested, very limited, and as i said earlier in the thread i did not intend to "kit" this so I will want to build and paint one first before i commit to casting any for others. I want to be sure it goes together without too much trouble...

it's pioneers like you that keep the fans interested, especially when there's a lull in new releases from the likes of Yamato. Your 1/48 scale line for baddies will definitely revitalize the 1/48 scale market!

Edited by peter

Awesome, that's they way these have been in my imagination for a long time. I did a paper mock up of the officer pod at 22 inches tall.....HUGE, but appropriate size next to this pod, now i just need to decide if it's something i really want to tackle..

Ok, little update, i am pouring the 2nd half of the head mold tonight. I've started to assemble the legs in the position that i want them in. This is some of what you can expect if you are interested in a casting. I made the legs with ball joints both at the hips and the feet so that they can be posed in a number of dynamic poses. This would likely stay put pretty well with just glue because the head will be rotocast and light, the "earmuffs" are also hollow so all the weight is at the bottom. However as an added bit of sturdiness i pre drilled a 1/8 inch hole into the back of the feet and at the hip (at an angle). I then positioned the legs where i wanted them and drilled thru the ball. I then used 1/8 brass to hold it together, right now the brass needs to be trimmed back but i will do that and fill in the holes later. What you see here is held just with the pins, no glue.....oh and the toes are on ball joints as well....

thanks

mike

008-3.jpg007-3.jpg

Edited by mslz22

The main legs, not counting the back "fin" are 5 separate parts which are jointed by pins as well, so you can position them to a certain degree in and out. What i am missing is the internal ratchet to make them appear up and down. Having an real working internal joint is not practical at this size and for the price i want to offer it at, but what i do want to see is if i can come up with a solid piece that would represent the inside of those joints, so for example if you wanted to have one leg up, or one leg stepping on something you could add that part to position the leg the way you wanted. That type of pose would require some additional support, like a hidden screw holding up the pod from underneath a stand or something. This is designed to be positionable while building but you need to fix it in that pose when finished.

thanks

mike

So my rotocaster won't be here for another week or so but i could not resist doing a quick slush cast one for myself.....came out really well if i may say so myself, onto painting it up so I can finally see this thing together for real.

Group shot with a 1/48 friendly, I've just discovered the macross the first comics, and i have to say seeing the size the pods depicted in there i am pretty happy with the size i went with...

mike

002-6.jpg

Thanks guys, couple of quick pics to finish out the day, this paintjob is the definition of quick and dirty but it gets the point across. i will tune this up more when the decals get here. I still need a few odds and ends like molding the "cap" an the handles but i am just about done...

mike

004-5.jpg006-6.jpg