Miria's Q-Rau

cool8or

Hi guys, I want to start wishing to all of you a happy new year, and a lot of success this 2012... the year of the Megaroad!!

I'm sharing with you my latest model kit, the Miria's Q-Rau, made by Club-M, in 1/72 scale.

Well proportioned, but no more details that the lineart show it. This kit is made of the typical resin used in Japan in the 80's, and gave me a huge problems with the paint fixing. Just at the end of the road, I found that a coat of Future improves incredibly the adhesion of the paint. Bad thing not knew this before... I lost all 2011 with this /&%$%&/$/&%$ kit! ¬¬

Also, I need to improve my chipping techniques, but I think I'm getting it. I just need to think better in the locations of the chips... these ones are very ilogical!! :( About the custom details, the thrusters are of aluminium (I bought them in Ebay), and the canopy can be opened thanks to some wires. Also I made again the antenna and the cannons of the arms, because the originals are very ugly.

Another issue was the center of gravity, due its huge "backpack". I solve it turning the legs to the front, as you can see in the lateral view picture. To strong the stability, the legs are fixed, only the arms are movable.

And at the end, one of my classic "group pictures", to figure out the size and scales of these mechas. Aside the Club-M Miria (in 1/72), you can see the Yamato's Miria, supposedly in 1/60... Anyway, none of these Miria's can fit in this Q-Rau!!... I just hope to see some day a Moscato's version, to see how John solves this scale problem!!

As always, all your comments are welcome.

miriaqraudyrlversion01.jpg

miriaqraudyrlversion02.jpg

miriaqraudyrlversion03.jpg

miriaqraudyrlversion04.jpg

miriaqraudyrlversion05.jpg

miriaqraudyrlversion06.jpg

miriaqraudyrlversion07.jpg

miriaqraudyrlversion08.jpg

miriaqraudyrlversion09.jpg

miriaqraudyrlversion10.jpg

miriaqraudyrlversion11.jpg

miriaqraudyrlversion12.jpg

miriaqraudyrlversion13.jpg

miriaqraudyrlversion14.jpg

miriaqraudyrlversion15.jpg

miriaqraudyrlversion16.jpg

miriaqraudyrlversion17.jpg

miriaqraudyrlversion18.jpg

miriaqraudyrlversion19.jpg

miriaqraudyrlversion20.jpg

Very nice, sure blows my build out of the water!

Yeah, I had the paint adhesion problem, too; luckily mine was confined to the underpart where the legs attach to the body, so no one will see it anyway. I had thought about fitting Miria in the cockpit too, but mine's head was too tall, and the canopy never fit quite right.

STUNNING! Love the battle damage! My only suggestion might be to dirty up Miria's uniform a bit to match the weathered Rau.

So you mean even washing the parts and priming the pieces the paint still had issues sticking?!?

These Macross scales are the most tricky around. 50 foot tall soldiers when it should look cool and scary on the screen, then they magically shrink to 25 feet tall when they enter their mecha!

Thanks for your words guys. Yes Darrin, after wash and sand the resin, still the primer (and all kind of paints) doesn't fix. The problem is when the surface is shine. In large areas you can sand it easily, but in detailed zones, to sand in every corner is very dificult. And when you think that you are ready, the masking tape pull away all the paint. It's very frustating!! :angry:

And about the Miri'as clothes... I want to believe that she takes a shower after each battle!! :lol:

wow nice model.. love the paint chip? are you using salt for this? i'm sory if i'm out of topic.. but i notice that you were talking about future.. have u use future in your airbursh.. if you have.. what you use to clean your airbrush after using future

wow nice model.. love the paint chip? are you using salt for this? i'm sory if i'm out of topic.. but i notice that you were talking about future.. have u use future in your airbursh.. if you have.. what you use to clean your airbrush after using future

I have used Future in my airbrush. Just pour in and spray. Windex for cleanup. Easy.

Thanks for your words guys. Yes, the Miria's figure comes with the kit. You can see more of this here:

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/models/club_m/172_quead.htm

About the Future, I just apply it with brush, because I don't know how to clean it. What is Windex? :huh:

[...] About the Future, I just apply it with brush, because I don't know how to clean it. What is Windex? :huh:

Windex is an ammonia based window cleaner, it has a transparent blue color to it.

When using Future in an airbrush, to clean your brush all you need to do is shoot some Windex or other ammonia based window cleaner through your airbrush.

Thanks Reïvaj!

GU-11, don't you think about Future as a Primer, because Future just improves the adherence of paint on the resin, that's all. With Future you can't see imperfections, bubbles, etc, like any primer does. ;)

Thanks Reïvaj!

GU-11, don't you think about Future as a Primer, because Future just improves the adherence of paint on the resin, that's all. With Future you can't see imperfections, bubbles, etc, like any primer does. ;)

Yikes! Thanks for the word of caution, cool8or! I guess there are some things you just can't skimp on. Future will remain strictly as a clear coat and paint diluter for me.

Really nice project to kick the year in with, Reuben!

Many, many years ago, I attempted this with the Imai kit.. and failed!

Weathering looks good, I always think of the Zentraedi mecha as being really beat up, and you NEVER see red painted equipment/mecha this weathered, so I think you've done a very interesting job here. Fantastic!

One thing I can see needs some attention next time: 'silvered' decals. They just stand out a little. Next time, you need to set them on to a gloss surface, and 'bury' them in gloss once you have got all the micro air bubbles out. Then they totally blend into the finish. I usually put a matt coat all over afterwards. It's a tiny thing really, but next project, it's perhaps a technique to consider.

Thanks again for all the great pics. Your Macross collections grows!

Thanks for your words guys. Petar, about the silvering, I have to say that the custom decals made of Testors paper are a bit difficult to work, because doesn't resist solvents like MicroSet, so I have to use only water. After applied, looks OK, but after apply a coat of barnish, the silvering appears! Look out my other models, doesn't have any bit of silvering. So, next time that I apply custom decals, I'll be more careful, applying exxtra gloss cotes before the decals.

But, taking advantage of the thread: What brand of decal paper can you recomend me?

Regards!

That's very annoying... I did not see the silvering on your other models, so it's clear what happened. Most decal papers I have used are also difficult, so I am hesitant to recommend any. What I do however, is use Future (floor polish). I put a layer of this down first, let it dry, and then use it again as the 'glue' between the decal and the paint, and then once this is dry, I put Future over the top again to totally seal in. The technique may or may not work for you, I think experimentation is the only way.

Anyway, I wonder what is next for your collection.... :D

Anyway, I wonder what is next for your collection.... :D

You'll see it in few days. I just finished to seal the decals, and guess what: 0.000% of silvering (I hope this helps to recover my reputation :p)

Thanks for your words guys. Yes Darrin, after wash and sand the resin, still the primer (and all kind of paints) doesn't fix. The problem is when the surface is shine. In large areas you can sand it easily, but in detailed zones, to sand in every corner is very dificult. And when you think that you are ready, the masking tape pull away all the paint. It's very frustating!! :angry:

And about the Miri'as clothes... I want to believe that she takes a shower after each battle!! :lol:

I just envision that she takes a shower.

:drool: