1/60 Yamato VF-4G Web-Exclusive Toy

Graham

VF-4 Poll  

333 members have voted

1. 1. If you lived in Japan would you pre-order a VF-4?

• I would pre-order but I'm not sure I can afford it.
    • Yes I would pre-order, but I would only buy it if it was under $300 (about 24000円).
    • I would pre-order it and buy it at any price.
    • I would pre-order it just to bump the numbers, but won't actually buy it.

Cool, but super glue on a $300+ toy?... :o You're a much braver man than I. B))

I think if I wanted to add those hardpoints I'd attach them with some automotive grade 3M double sided tape, much easier to clean up leftover tape residue than CA left-overs if you ever change your mind. CA requires acetone or an acetone based remover to strip away completely.

And won't acetone on that plastic eat it up a bit? I started making some custom decals for mine, but it will be awhile before it's ready and have them on.

And won't acetone on that plastic eat it up a bit? I started making some custom decals for mine, but it will be awhile before it's ready and have them on.

Acetone will EAT and CHEW through many kinds of plastic, unless it's something like polypropylene, which i doubt any yammie toy uses. I wouldn't put any kind of acetone on a toy! We keep acetone in tins in the lab, used only to clean flasks and what not.

Just a little heads up though, just wanted to make sure nobody melts their 300 dollar toy :(

So, I love Yamato's VF-4, but I couldn't shake the feeling that it really needed some appropriate squadron markings. The FB2012 stuff was a nice addition, but I didn't want to get started with trying any paints on this thing. I'd ruin a $300 toy, for sure.

I played with subdued skull squadron colors and the VF-1 wolfpack colors from a VF-0A sticker sheet, but it still didn't look right. The blue trim clashed with the schemes and that just bugged me.

Did some digging in the VF-1 Master File books and found a photo of some similar looking gray w/ blue trim VF-4s flying with an AK tail code. Ok, I can work with that. Found some old 1/48 A-4 Skyhawk decals with an AK tail code marking and decided to decal up my VF-4 tailfins. Ended up using the old multi-color squadron leader markings too. After some tests, I figured out that 50% flat clearcoat and 50% semi-gloss clearcoat matches yamato's plastic sheen perfectly.

Regardless, I know I'm not as good a builder as some of you out there, but I think it looks pretty good and I'm happy with it.

20130202_110647_zpsdf203a6f.jpg

20130202_110704_zps6bdbec9e.jpg

20130202_110754_zps57e60633.jpg

It looks sweet, CoreyD. Good job!

Ok so just got this bird delivered yesterday - definitely one of yamatos best!

Is anyone working on water slide decals or has links to available ones you have used or know of?

This bird BEGS to be stickered up and paneled lined (kudos to those in this thread - awesome work!)

I'm really getting frustrated at NY or Yamato over my missing piece. I just sent another email to NY asking them to contact Yamato and remind them of my issue. Its been over a month now since i first emailed them with my issue. :-/

I'm really getting frustrated at NY or Yamato over my missing piece. I just sent another email to NY asking them to contact Yamato and remind them of my issue. Its been over a month now since i first emailed them with my issue. :-/

The parts replacement through NY seems to be hell. I also have been asking for service and feel like they are giving the run around. They have only given me tiny replies saying "we have contacted the maker"

I might beef up the tabs with some superglue as well someday, but so far, mine manage to stay on well enough.

Honestly.. as far as replacement parts are concerned, I think NY seems far too preoccupied to do anything. I got a nice enough reply from them about my missing VF-25G crotch plate, but given how much Bandai seems to care about overseas customers, I doubt they're going to bother helping.

You may have better luck contacting someone who lives in Japan, and asking them to request the replacement parts for you. An old friend of mine from high school is currently in Okinawa, so I might just see if he can request the part locally for me.

Edit: Ok, this might just be a problem with older browsers, but the quick reply option will not save any kind of formatting applied to posts. I have to go back and edit them before the paragraph breaks appear.

Edited by Chronocidal

Yes, I glued mine with white elmers glue, so their not solid and can be taken apart with enough force, so right now the missiles bays are nice and tight.

If you're gonna super glue them, do not glue the two under the middle fuselage, they have to come off for battroid transformation.

Actually, I think the entire reason the lower ones are mounted on that pull-out tab is so they don't absolutely have to be removed for transformation. I'm not sure pulling them out on that piece is necessary for transformation, but it makes it much easier to do if they stay in those mounts.

Actually, I think the entire reason the lower ones are mounted on that pull-out tab is so they don't absolutely have to be removed for transformation. I'm not sure pulling them out on that piece is necessary for transformation, but it makes it much easier to do if they stay in those mounts.

It helps when opening the landing gear bay actually.

My latest response from NY

Hello and thank you for your email! We contacted again Yamato.lot of customers had problem with this product and Yamato look very busy because of it.They answered us that then need time for give parts.If you have any questions, feel free to ask us!
Thank you for your understanding.

I got a bad feeling about this. <_<

Edited by robodragon

Why is that a bad thing. Yamato responded to them that they're attempting to make parts but they need time to produce them. Seems like a decent response overall.

You ever get the feeling that your just being put on permanent hold? Well that's the feeling I got right now. I am a patient person have waited patiently for issues to be resolved plenty in the past, but sometimes something just don't feel right no matter what I'm told. That's How I feel about this. I don't know why maybe because I went outside of my HLJ comfort zone, or maybe it's my spidey senses. I hope I'm wrong.