1/60 Yamato VF-4G Web-Exclusive Toy

Graham

VF-4 Poll  

333 members have voted

1. 1. If you lived in Japan would you pre-order a VF-4?

• I would pre-order but I'm not sure I can afford it.
    • Yes I would pre-order, but I would only buy it if it was under $300 (about 24000円).
    • I would pre-order it and buy it at any price.
    • I would pre-order it just to bump the numbers, but won't actually buy it.

Right, I actually meant that as a really unlikely scenario.... Maybe it wasn't so expensive to hire the Hory Froating Head after all. :wacko:

We should ask him what he got out of appearing in Fast Food Grifters

Didya notice the command type head has many similar details to the VF-25S head

When I saw this thread I instinctively started trying to shove all my monies into my computer to send it to Yamato. My DVD drive no longer works and I'm out several hundred in shredded bills as a result. I fully intend to buy at least three of these.

There are two Macross toys I've always wanted more than anything else. My 1/3000 Macross is sitting in my apartment right now, so all I need is this and I'll finally achieve the pure and eternal happiness that can only come from purchasing molded plastic.

Where can we poor Canadians buy "web exclusives"? Will they be offered through online retailers like HLJ or AmiAmi? If it does well, will Yamato make an improved version cheaper like the SDF-1?

Usually, HLJ carries Yamato's webslusive stuff. So although I can't say for sure, chances are good that they will carry this. And honestly, it would be a waste for Yamato if they can't milk this thing for all it's worth by making it too exclusive since this is a brand new mold they will have to design...

We should ask him what he got out of appearing in Fast Food Grifters

Oh, is that the English title of Tachiguishiretsuden? Goddamn piece of crap movie, most boring waste of time in my whole life. I have an interview with Kawamori and Oshii talking about that, maybe I should dig that up. I'm betting he did that for free.

Anyway, VF4 yay

VF-4 Commander Head = SV-51 Cone + VF-0 Face + YF-21 Fin + Birdman Chin

so in other words it looks like every other robot head SK designed in the late 90's/early 2000's.

Personally I prefer the command head, but I'd be happy with either (although both would be the best option).

so in other words it looks like every other robot head SK designed in the late 90's/early 2000's.

[...]

Exactly.

IMO Yamato will use the simpler version head because I guess it’s the one that makes part of the registered design –not to mention it’s the one that it’s been advertised by them.

The more I read about this, the more I want it.

VF-4 Fund Account Charging:

23.1% Complete.......23.2%.......23.3%......

:lol: :lol: :lol:

OK I want to talk about external armaments. First some reference from the Mcross Mecha Manual:

- Armament -

Guns:

- 2 x large beam cannons (mounted in forward engine nacelles/lower arms in GERWALK and Battroid modes); blocks can be detached and operate with removable, lightweight equipment within an atmosphere

Bombs & Missiles:

- 12 x semi-recessed long range missiles (mounted on engine nacelles and ventral fuselage)

- 2 x underwing pylons for missiles

Optional Armament:

- 1 x Howard GU-11 55 mm three-barrel Gatling gun pod with 200 rds fired at 1,200 rds/min

But none of the official line art I can find show any external armament, and of course none is shown in "Macross 2012". VF-4 is featured in PS1 game "Macross Digital Mission VF-X" and Dreamcast game "Macross M3", do it ever shown with external armament there? I am sure the VF-4 in PS2 game "SDF Macross" didn't.

Then I search around a bit and found this custom model work from here:

rpHk0.jpg

And I also found this bit from the Club M VF-4 model:

cm_vf4-gerwalk.jpg

That leg mounted gun is not GU-11 (the gun from VF-1) and it looks like a generic gun that Club M added. Mounting the gun off center make sense for VF-4, due to the ventral fin under the fighter nose.

Basically Yamato has quite a bit of freedom in this department since VF-4 is suppose to be able carry external weapons but never animated. What I think Yamato should do with the VF-4 is to have missile mount points that is compatible with the missiles from 1:60 v2 VF-1 - one under each main wing, and two under the main body between the engine nacelles. They don't need to include the missiles - most who would order a web limited VF-4 would already have a lot of extra missiles from their VF-1 collection. And since these mount points are not on a variable geometry wing, they can make them recessed in the body v.s. extruded disc on the VF-1.

The external gun is a bit tricky, but I really would like to give those hands something to hold. At the very least the hands should be able to hold a GU-11 gun. I think Yamato should at least in an adapter to mount a GU-11 gun somewhere under the body in fighter mode, unless they come up with a new gun design.

Almost all the official art shows the external armament---but people don't realize they're looking at it!

I think a lot of people miss that the "long skinny humps" all over the VF-4 *are* the missiles. There's 12, after all. (3 on each leg, 2 on each forearm, 2 under the nose) They're conformal missiles, to a degree even greater than the F-4/F-14/Tornado do. You just rarely see them "fired off" with a recessed trench left in the valk--though at least one drawing shows this:

http://www.macross2....-4/vf-4-la3.jpg

That's the only drawing I know of that shows "what's left when the missiles are fired off"----looks very much like modern conformal-carry missile launchers. Kind of a shallow trench.

In short--it doesn't need pylons on the wings (there's not much room anyways) because it's already carrying a decent load all over the fuselage. If they're colored a different shade of grey than the rest of the valk, they're easier to spot. :;edit:: Highlighted for clarity:

vf-4battM.png

vf4schemM.gif

Just look for the grey humps that all look the same. They're not structural bulges of the airframe itself.

It's a unique and cool feature of the VF-4. Whoever made the model in the previous above seemed aware of this, as they painted them with typical USAF missile striping, made them a different color than the main fuselage, and they clearly have exhaust nozzles.

Hey Graham---could you make sure Yamato is aware of this? They should be painted a different color than the main fuselage, and even making them removable could be one heck of a neat feature. Just make sure they don't sculpt them on as "part of the valk itself". They should have a distinct nozzle at the back end, like on the model above. They should not "taper off and blend" at the rear. They should be more "cut off". They should look "stuck on" and not "part of the valk itself". Making them removable would be the only way to have a "bare" VF-4, as well. Some "standard missile striping" would go a long way towards making them look like missiles---again, just like the model in the previous post. (it's a REALLY good example, Yamato should definitely reference it for how the missiles should be done)

Almost all the official art shows the external armament---but people don't realize they're looking at it!

I think a lot of people miss that the "long skinny humps" all over the VF-4 *are* the missiles.

I am well aware of that.

In short--it doesn't need pylons on the wings (there's not much room anyways) because it's already carrying a decent load all over the fuselage.

No they need the pylons. They don't usually use them for stealth, but they must be able to carry reaction missiles when needed, and those missiles are still huge at 2059.

Hey Graham---could you make sure Yamato is aware of this? They should be painted a different color than the main fuselage, and even making them removable could be one heck of a neat feature. Just make sure they don't sculpt them on as "part of the valk itself".

2nd that. The only problem with removable missile is the tab/plug v.s hole location - the side with tab/plug will be more ugly, but good sculpturing can hide them in plain sight as "high tech stuff".

Edited by CF18

I'm gonna guess they're just going to do what the basic line art shows so no hardpoints or optional gun pod. And even if the conformal missiles were removable, they'd be done in a typical tab on the missile that goes into a slot on the body.

If they were really ambitious, they could have missile effect parts like the limited GBP-1S set :3

Should we start arguing whether or not the hands will be proprietary like the VF-17 and VF-22 or the more universal type like the VF-1, VF-11, and VF-19

I am well aware of that.

No they need the pylons. They don't usually use them for stealth, but they must be able to carry reaction missiles when needed, and those missiles are still huge at 2059.

2nd that. The only problem with removable missile is the tab/plug v.s hole location - the side with tab/plug will be more ugly, but good sculpturing can hide them in plain sight as "high tech stuff".

Magnets

I too would like for Yamato to include 6 ordnance hard points (just like the picture posted by CF18) of the same design used on the VF-1, that way all the missiles from the VF-1 (VF-0 and SV-51 too, maybe?) could be used on the upcoming VF-4; after all, since this is to be a fully assembled and pre-colored and painted toy of the exclusive variety, it should include as many gimmicks as possible to justify the premium MSRP they're likely to charge. And I second the notion of including, at the very least, a GU-11 compatible gun mount. And the conformal missiles should indeed be detachable with discrete tabs on the fuselage recesses and slots on the missiles themselves.

I'm more than satisfied to wait for substantial sale prices on the VF-19s and VF-17s, but the VF-4 is one of those must-haves that I'll pony-up for as soon as HLJ pre-orders are announced, provided they're cleared to carry it... I hope so.

If they were really ambitious, they could have missile effect parts like the limited GBP-1S set :3

that would be cool, I would like that.

and I think hands depend on size, if it's going to closer to a VF-1 is size than I'd think VF-1 stile hands with unique sculpting would be most apropriate.

Yeah, I'd want hardpoints on the wings for the RMS, as well. Ideally, they'd be very subtle so wouldn't be visible if they were removed. I'm thinking F-35 / F-22 external ordinance/tanks. IOW, more like slots with optional covers than the holes on the VF-1.

Are talking about something like this??

Source: http://vnfawing.com/...b710da6520f3496

Yes, the Typhoon did come to mind, as being among the newest planes with conformal carriage. I've always thought the forward troughs of the Tornado were a great example--they're among the "deepest" I can think of. (a Tornado's rear ones are not recessed)

m02006120200271.jpg

::edit:: And here's a good one showing an F-4's:

f4j-9-2004.JPG