1/60 Yamato VF-4G Web-Exclusive Toy

Graham

VF-4 Poll  

333 members have voted

1. 1. If you lived in Japan would you pre-order a VF-4?

• I would pre-order but I'm not sure I can afford it.
    • Yes I would pre-order, but I would only buy it if it was under $300 (about 24000円).
    • I would pre-order it and buy it at any price.
    • I would pre-order it just to bump the numbers, but won't actually buy it.

I'm thinking about pre-ordering the VF-4G from Nippon-Yasan like many others here. However, I noticed in a past order that even though I select US$ as the currency when I'm shopping on the website, when I go to make payment using paypal, I end up automatically paying in Yen and not US$ even though they say they accept payment in US$. For anyone who has ordered from them in the past, was there something you had to do to pay in US$? Any insight would be appreciated as saving some money from the foreign exchange rate would help justify buying this for me.

hi guys

he is on HK collectibles but the price :-(

The extra mark up is to be expected considering HKCollectibles have to get it shipped to Hong Kong first before shipping it out to customers elsewhere. Possibly only an option for collectors in HK.

Man, this is really getting to my tipping point. I had it in my NY cart - and was about to purchase, and I saw $400 and I'm like "man, this is stupid". I dunno...I think it might be time to get out of the valk collecting business. It was ridiculous when it was $150-$250, but I could still justify it. Let's put this in perspective - for a $100 more, I just bought a 3D printer. I realize everyone has different tipping points, I'll probably still get one...maybe...but damn...at that price, I really have to think about it.

Im right there with you man, the most ive paid for a valk was $215 for the 29 and i thought that was crazy... @ 400 there is no way i can do it.

The extra mark up is to be expected considering HKCollectibles have to get it shipped to Hong Kong first before shipping it out to customers elsewhere. Possibly only an option for collectors in HK.

Any shop making it available to customers outside of Japan has to have a markup.....a higher markup probably means they did not place "early-bird" orders at a 5% or 10% discount......or did and just want to make a bigger profit.

Hopefully, Yamato will have come up with a production figure that will meet the demands of these shops placing multiple orders.....personally, since I just had one ordered direct, I hope Yamato fills single orders first, then everyone that ordered multiples after all single orders are fullfilled.......sorry if this offends anyone, but under different circumstances...these shops are basically the "scalpers" everyone is always complaining about...... :rolleyes:

Edited by jvmacross

So I'm thinking of having a contact in Japan ordering one of these for me. On the Yamato website do you pay now or is it just a order placement and pay later when it's ready to ship?

Someone ordered mine in Japan, and it's payment on delivery.

Like I said before, I think it's just to cover potential fluctuations in the pre-order prices. Once the 171 was released it was cheaper other places and NY offered to upgrade my shipping or give me a discount on other Macross Merchandise. They're keeping that money one way or another but they did offer additional value for the increase.

The shipping cost NY charged me for the VF-171 is pretty much the postage shown on the package. I doubt that it will cost them $60 to ship the vf-4g to the US. Discount on other Macross merchandises won't do me any good since I won't have any money to buy stuff for a while after the vf-4g.

Just preordered and paid in full for two. Been waiting for this to be a reality for nearly 15 years.

Gonna start my own fleet of overpriced Yamato crap yeahhhhhh

In all seriousness, though, I hope these things aren't crap, but I have it on good authority that Yamato's latest releases are up to snuff, so I'm looking forward to getting this thing in my hands!

Guest Courfid

In all seriousness, though, I hope these things aren't crap, but I have it on good authority that Yamato's latest releases are up to snuff, so I'm looking forward to getting this thing in my hands!

It looks extremely well made to me, with an amazing amount of attention paid to details!

One thing I would say would make a difference in how interesting this might look is if they made all of the conformal missiles a darker shade of grey from the body of the plane. That would provide strips of varied color and provide contrast.

Or maybe "very very pale" grey. (that'd be a bit more realistic, though I'll admit it probably wouldn't look as good).

(a lot of "white" missiles nowadays are actually very light grey---but back in the 70's/80's most were a pure white)

Hey---they could just use "DYRL VF-1" plastic for the missiles---that'd be about right. And we know Yamato knows how to make that color. :)

Well, whatever color it may be I was only thinking that the FB2012 has missiles that are off white and it provides some contrast across the entire body that's pleasing. I just assumed they could set the color off a tad too. I wouldn't think anything as dark as the nose would be used, that's for sure. It was just an idea to add a little depth to an already low-vis scheme.

OK, not trying to be a kill joy, but it's been a few days since I placed my pre-order at NY and I got to say, the longer I wait the more I am questioning paying $400 for a valk. Not sure I am going to make it to the release date without talking myself out of this one. Anyone else having second thoughts after pre-ordering or am I the only one?

OK, not trying to be a kill joy, but it's been a few days since I placed my pre-order at NY and I got to say, the longer I wait the more I am questioning paying $400 for a valk. Not sure I am going to make it to the release date without talking myself out of this one. Anyone else having second thoughts after pre-ordering or am I the only one?

I hear what you are saying, on the other hand there is plenty of time to set aside some cash. There are plenty of releases due in the next 4 months but the VF-4 is the only MUST have in my opinion.

No worries.....Yamato most certainly already has a total production count regardless of who ends up cancelling.........the question is, will it be enough? At $400+ each....probably......

I feel myself in the same quandary as you. I most certainly want a VF-4G and jumped on the preorder with Nyppon-Yasan as soon as I read here that the preorders were open, but the price tag (a sizable chunk of my yearly budget for such things) is a hard pill to swallow, and if I ever come to my senses I just might cancel and use the cash for other things.

You know the old gag of having a little angel on one shoulder telling you to do the right thing, and a devil on the other egging you to do the wrong thing... because it's awesome? Only, in my case, it's an accountant vs. a man-child fanboy... who'll win, I wonder?

Edited by mechaninac

It's a bummer some of you guys have to sweat buying this toy. I know, even though I'm in no danger (right now) I still find myself going back and looking at the five pictures a few pages back multiple times daily. I'm happy with how it looks and am excited to play with it/discover how it transforms. That has helped me justify the price in my mind... or possibly hype myself up to ridiculous levels. That being said, I've always been under the impression that if you want to buy something but you have a doubt that means you don't really want it and you should wait.

I can't comment on others' trepidation regarding the steep price of the VF-4, but for me it's not an affordability issue (I could buy multiples If I were so inclined), it's a principles thing: $400+ for a chunk of plastic and diecast is a lot of mullah, no matter how amazing the toy turns out to be, or how limited in numbers. Up until this preorder, $230 with shipping (no chump change) was my upper, self-imposed, limit on any toy, and the reason I refuse to buy a 1/3000 SDF-1, VF-19S/F/P, or VF-17S/D. So I'm still trying to decide why I thought it okay to commit, however tentatively, to an item that blows my cut-off point by nearly double its amount... :wacko: