1/60 Yamato VF-4G Web-Exclusive Toy

Graham

VF-4 Poll  

333 members have voted

1. 1. If you lived in Japan would you pre-order a VF-4?

• I would pre-order but I'm not sure I can afford it.
    • Yes I would pre-order, but I would only buy it if it was under $300 (about 24000円).
    • I would pre-order it and buy it at any price.
    • I would pre-order it just to bump the numbers, but won't actually buy it.

It will cost you about 45 bucks these days for EMS from HK to US, but most HK sellers tend to charge you EMS rate but have the package shipped as normal air parcel. Either way, the cost will turn out pretty close to NY but you get EMS shipping from NY.

I got a quote from locushk for shipping to US:

EMS - 307HKD

Air pracle - 198HKD

Guest Courfid

I don't get the dislike for the design. As opposed to YF-19/YF-21 onwards it actually looks like a well thought out and constructed military vehicle. Less "anime" feel and more general sci-fi flavor over it, imo.

Edited by Courfid

I don't get the dislike for the design. As opposed to YF-19/YF-21 onwards it actually looks like a well thought out and constructed military vehicle. Less "anime" feel and more general sci-fi flavor over it, imo.

Some may actually not like the design. I think a few might be saying that to psych themselves out of buying it 1)they can't afford it, or 2)they think it's too expensive. Being that it's almost the same price as the 17D w/ armor parts, I can justify this purchase. I have a feeling the 17D will be around for awhile, so I'm not in a rush to get that. If that does sell out, I'd rather have the VF-4 than the 17.

Unless I'm mistaken, this is running similar to Bandai's super and armor pack add-ons for the VF-25 renewals (though in that case, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see bundles with the parts included later, because Bandai just loves screwing with their customer base that way.<_<).

Far as I can tell, if you order one? They'll make it. They sound like they're only making these on an order-by-order basis, or at least using the orders to determine a minimum number to produce (for now). Now's the time to grab one really, otherwise, you'll be at the mercy of collectors shops who put in orders for as many as they can get, and then jack the price sky high once production ends.

It's really tough to tell though if more will be made. Gamlin's VF-22 was supposed to be limited as well, but wound up in shops at half price later on. I don't think that will happen here, because they didn't do this kind of pre-pre-order before. They seem to be entirely serious about making a very limited number, similar to the original low-vis 1/48. They might even be numbered, but who knows.

We also could be worried about nothing, and when they see how many people bought these, they realize they'd be dumb not to issue a wider release, now that the R&D costs are past. If that happens, I'd love to get a proper FB2012 version too. :)

I guess Gamlins 22 was handled like a conventional release, regardless of what Yamato launched it as. In other words they decided to make a run of 1000(I think that was the number), they went ahead and produced it and sure enough it didn't sell all that well.

The VF-4 takes the risk out of it for yamato by producing to meet orders only. I think the only problem we have on MW is that we get this skewed vision of it selling like a dynamo based on a few pages of thankful fans, but in the wider market this release is very obscure and don't forget it's not exactly a cheap addition for general collectors.

Don't get me wrong, I hope the VF-4 gets a few follow up releases, but I wouldn't bet money on the VF-4 being a readily available Valk.

Again....without taking money up front.....I doubt Yamato will take a chance and just produce them based on the orders received......lots of things can happen between now and when the cash is due....and many people that are pre-ordering now may not come through with the payment.....so I think Yamato already has a number in mind...it will produce that number....a number it feels it can still make a profit on (thus the sticker price) even if all are not bought from their webshop.....and hopefully that number is either more than or equal to the number that actually get paid for when payment is due.......Yamato made this a limited item because it does not think it will sell as well as its more popular offerings......it is what it is -_-

Edited by jvmacross

We also could be worried about nothing, and when they see how many people bought these, they realize they'd be dumb not to issue a wider release, now that the R&D costs are past. If that happens, I'd love to get a proper FB2012 version too. :)

or they could take this as proof the web exclusive route is a success and continuing issuing any possible repaints through their newly established ordering infrastructure.

I would buy three of these if I could... possibly four to display in all three awesome modes and still have one to paint, mod a fin type head, and maybe fit super packs (on a pivot) & reflex missiles to. Until they make a perfect transformation FZ-109A or M7 version VF-14 (the sleek SR-71 like one, not the spindly, gribbly M3 one) this is going to remain my favorite variable fighter with a physical model. And I so .sigged Neoverse Omega's love letter to VF-4 from p22 or so elseforum, just so he(?) knows.

I'm with dialN, if I could swing it I'd have at least three for each mode as well. As it stands I keep hovering over my one pre-order considering a second. I really love the Battroid design and seeing it painted and standing I'm becoming a believer in Gerwalk (much like what happened with me and the VF-17) too.

Some may actually not like the design. I think a few might be saying that to psych themselves out of buying it 1)they can't afford it, or 2)they think it's too expensive. Being that it's almost the same price as the 17D w/ armor parts, I can justify this purchase. I have a feeling the 17D will be around for awhile, so I'm not in a rush to get that. If that does sell out, I'd rather have the VF-4 than the 17.

I think it is mostly the fighter mode that most people love vf-4. Battroid mode is ok. The high cost is the main thing. It's small, you don't get a stand or any fast packs (vf-11 had the super packs) and the shipping is still pretty high. I know I know. It's limited. But if this was cheaper ($350 with shipping incl) I think they'd sell more and make more money overall. They are gauging the interest to see how desperate fans are so they price it high first. That's the only reason I can think of for why it is so expensive.

Unless I'm mistaken, this is running similar to Bandai's super and armor pack add-ons for the VF-25 renewals (though in that case, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see bundles with the parts included later, because Bandai just loves screwing with their customer base that way. <_<).

Far as I can tell, if you order one? They'll make it. They sound like they're only making these on an order-by-order basis, or at least using the orders to determine a minimum number to produce (for now). Now's the time to grab one really, otherwise, you'll be at the mercy of collectors shops who put in orders for as many as they can get, and then jack the price sky high once production ends.

It's really tough to tell though if more will be made. Gamlin's VF-22 was supposed to be limited as well, but wound up in shops at half price later on. I don't think that will happen here, because they didn't do this kind of pre-pre-order before. They seem to be entirely serious about making a very limited number, similar to the original low-vis 1/48. They might even be numbered, but who knows.

That's why I mentioned if they copied toynami's "Certificate of Authenticty" gimmick with fancy box it might help collectors feel like the toy was worth the extra money to be an official owner of one. (I'm not a collector type BTW, I display) Put a number on the box so you know it is a limited edition item and not something you can just buy from a shop. (in order to differentiate it from the mass production versions)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

The barebones VF-17S is ¥24,800 MSRP (minus tax)

the VF-4 is ¥25,700 MSRP (minus tax)

it's a 900 yen difference for an exclusive item from the last product they made. That's like two bento boxes

really it's just the exchange rate that's bad for the international buyers

I guess Gamlins 22 was handled like a conventional release, regardless of what Yamato launched it as. In other words they decided to make a run of 1000(I think that was the number), they went ahead and produced it and sure enough it didn't sell all that well.

Gamlin's VF-22S was limited to 1,000 pieces in its first production run. It sold well enough to warrant another run. Problem was, Yamato overestimated demand and overproduced the subsequent run(s), hence the glut of stock which retailers are letting go at heavily discounted prices.

I think basing on the current rarity of VF-4G, it will warranty an overwhelming sale that will inccur more issues of different schemes.

but however i think most of us will be looking forward to the Hikaru custom as seen in FB2012.

Plus with the improve articulation and the complex transformation of the vAlkyrie, price will not be drop so easily, given the rarity and the complex transformation and also the articulation capability.

it's a valkyrie i think will comes with a heavy price tag, but if we do not get it at initial release, i reckon it be an exponential price increase with the decreasing stock in the market.

Come to speak of which, was the valkyrie cockpit transformation every decribe in picture?

I reckon it is similar to YF-19, but then again maybe a bit different.

IXTL, do you think VF-4G will be the same?

I don't think so. The Diamond Force VF-22S was a general release figure but limited to 1,000 pieces (in its first production run).

The VF-4G is only available through Yamato's web store through pre-order. I doubt Yamato will produce much more than the pre-orders received.

I doubt Yamato will produce much more than the pre-orders received.

Agree. They'll go to an even number for a minimum run, that includes extras for replacements for missing or broken parts (in Japan), but not much more.

NY is making a hefty profit on shipping charges.

Like I said before, I think it's just to cover potential fluctuations in the pre-order prices. Once the 171 was released it was cheaper other places and NY offered to upgrade my shipping or give me a discount on other Macross Merchandise. They're keeping that money one way or another but they did offer additional value for the increase.

Was thinking on whether to stick to NY or Locushk after calculating the shipping charges, locus HK offers cheaper shipping to my location! But i am pending for HKcollectibles fotr their offers on this valkyrie.

AM SERIOUSLY THINKING OF GETTING 2!!

I hate myself for getting the valkyries.

Put my pre-order in at Nippon Yasan. Oh well, it's only money, and it's being spent on something awesome!

Luckily, money is a renewable resource.... :D

(That's what I tell myself when trying to justify spending $$$$$$$$ on a lump of plastic. hehe)

That dude has awesome facial hair but what does it mean? :)

Is black Santa gonna personally deliver these to our trees this Xmas or somethin? I am totally down for that, if so.

Edited by xrentonx

It means the rent is too damn high! (And if you don't get that, google is your friend)

Sorry, man. My version's cooler...and Google is a better friend when I'm actually on my laptop ;)

Edited by xrentonx